Music volume on your next cruise

ghstudio

What is your preference on music volume on your next cruise?  

429 members have voted

1. 1. What is your preference on music volume on your next cruise?

• I enjoy loud music throughout the ship
    • I enjoy loud music in some areas (pool/marini bar/) but would like some areas with background music
    • I don't think that loud music is appropriate anywhere on the ship
    • The loudness of the music doesn't bother me one way or the other.

Somebody mentioned the music in the martini bar is techno style? Is it EDM? If the rumors are true that X is trying to attract a younger crowd, EDM is really popular in my age group (20's).

I am 27 (and LOVE celebrity) and go to several EDM concerts :) So "I" would like this style music. There is a huge EDM concert coming up in Miami called Ultra. EDM is also very popular internationally, with most of the top artist coming from all over the world.

For some reason on my last X cruise I don't really remember what the music was like... except the lack of a string quartet :(

I like all music- string quartets to EDM- HAHA! :D:D

I do think there is a place for very loud music - Quasar. I suspect that most people might be prepared to have to shout to be heard in a nightclub.

Elsewhere I think the music should be played at a volume that allows conversation without shouting.

We have a "trendy" bar near us that plays music. It is by no means at a background level but you can hear people who talk directly to you. You would not be able to hear conversation from people on the tables near you and that volume, for me, is appropriate for the Martini and Molecular Bars.

I think that, perhaps, the poll should have asked how people feel about VERY loud music - so loud that you must shout or point to be heard/understood. Personally that is the volume of music that I feel is unacceptable and causing so much distress.

Edited by CABINET

That is what they are saying. They should be able to enjoy their cruise, but you should not. I've said all along that there should be a compromise; some venues with guiet music and some with loud music, that way everyone can enjoy what they enjoy and everyone is happy.

And the more I think about it, there were FAR more places with either silence or quiet music than there were "loud" places. It's not even a real big compromise for these people. I don't get it.

On our 2/22 cruise on Reflection, the "music' by the Miami DJs at sail-away was absurdly loud. How loud was that? So loud it was impossible to speak to the person next to you. So loud the speakers were distorting the sound. So loud that you felt the vibration pulsing violently right through your body.

Now, its ok if its in a venue people can choose to attend or avoid. But when its in the heart of the ship, such as the lobby or the main pool, its a different story.

This was my 19th Celebrity cruise. I know what the Celebrity Modern luxury experience entails. This ridiculously loud music is not what I signed up for when I paid for my cruise!

What was so concerning was the message from the CD at the CC gathering that this ultra-loud music was the new direction Celebrity intends to inflict fleet-wide :eek:

On our 2/22 cruise on Reflection, the "music' by the Miami DJs at sail-away was absurdly loud. How loud was that? So loud it was impossible to speak to the person next to you. So loud the speakers were distorting the sound. So loud that you felt the vibration pulsing violently right through your body.

Now, its ok if its in a venue people can choose to attend or avoid. But when its in the heart of the ship, such as the lobby or the main pool, its a different story.

This was my 19th Celebrity cruise. I know what the Celebrity Modern luxury experience entails. This ridiculously loud music is not what I signed up for when I paid for my cruise!

What was so concerning was the message from the CD at the CC gathering that this ultra-loud music was the new direction Celebrity intends to inflict fleet-wide :eek:

Please. Help me with this. Why did you not go SOMEWHERE ELSE??? I heard nothing of the sort at the Sunset Bar - only ONE of the MANY options.

Not exclusively but there is a bit thrown in from time to time. I'm 55 and I like it too! :D

I'll be 65 next week and I like it too!

Awesome! YAY for EDM lovers :D

I went on Carnival for my bachelorette party and we wanted to dance to EDM, they wouldn't play any in the club :(

I didn't vote for any of your choices. If I had to vote it would have been: I enjoy loud music in some places, like where the party band plays dance music, but enjoy softer music or background music in the lounges, atrium and dining areas at other times.

You're closest selection included loud music by the martini bar and pool. I don't like loud music by the martini bar at all since it destroys any chance at good conversation. I like semi-loud music at the pool when the party band or other appropriate live entertainer is playing but wouldn't want loud DJ or loud recorded music there.

I agree with you… but I still voted for the closest selection. ;)

WPG Cycler:

You ask why did we not go somewhere else. Let me answer that:

Celebrity has one main open air pool. The solarium is enclosed and air conditioned. The weather that week was stunning. On all our previous cruises, we spent almost the whole day at the pool. On this cruise we could not, and had to spend it indoors at the solarium or on our balcony. That was not what we would have wanted on a Caribbean cruise, and not what we paid for.

The band Vibe played on deck 3 in the Lobby. In the S-class ships, most of the common area venues lead off the lobby. So the impossibly loud music in the lobby made it very unpleasant in the lobby, guest relations, Passport Bar, Bistro on 5, Cellar Masters, elevator lobbies, Martini Bar, Cafe Bacio, Library, Hideaway, Future Cruises, I-Lounge and Game room!!!!! So apart from my cabin, there were not a lot of good alternatives left. Again, I did not pay to only enjoy a part of the ship!! There really was no suitable place to hide from the noise.

Trust that answers your question.

Edited by Seapoint

WPG Cycler:

You ask why did we not go somewhere else. Let me answer that:

Celebrity has one main open air pool. The solarium is enclosed and air conditioned. The weather that week was stunning. On all our previous cruises, we spent almost the whole day at the pool. On this cruise we could not, and had to spend it indoors at the solarium or on our balcony. That was not what we would have wanted on a Caribbean cruise, and not what we paid for.

The band Vibe played on deck 3 in the Lobby. In the S-class ships, most of the common area venues lead off the lobby. So the impossibly loud music in the lobby made it very unpleasant in the lobby; guest relations, Passport Bar, Bistro on 5, Cellar Masters, elevator lobbies, Martini Bar, Cafe Bacio, Library, Hideaway, Future Cruises, I-Lounge and Game room!!!!! So apart from my cabin, there were not a lot of good alternatives left. Again, I did not pay to only enjoy a part of the ship!! There really was no suitable place to hide from the noise.

Trust that answers your question.

Well, with regard to the pool, I still don't get why people need or want to be right next to the pool all day - and even if they do, it's not far to walk down to it from the next deck up which is not loud at all. With respect to the lobby - yes, it certainly answers my question - but not in the way you think. It simply confirms my belief that people do exaggerate. You make it sound like Vibes played non-stop throughout the day which you know is simply not the case. They play a couple times of day for maybe an hour at a time - and never "impossibly loud" - if that were in fact the case there would not be people on the dance floor and people watching from the railings of the above decks. As for your suggestion that there is no suitable place to hide, I'm sure I'm not the only one that finds this misleading.

The deck above and around the pool was just as loud, as that is where some of the speakers are!!

You miss the whole point…Modern Luxury should not force a paying passenger to have to duck and dive and search all over the ship for a refuge from the noise.

I have done many Celebrity cruises. I booked this cruise expecting that same experience, which always included modern music. On this cruise, Celebrity changed the game, and not in a good way, by inflicting unbelievably loud music in the common areas on everybody. Thats just not right.

The solution is so simple…just tone the volume down a bit in the common areas. Prior to this new policy, I don't recall people complaining the music was too soft! By all means play the ultra-loud music in venues such as the Sky Lounge or Qasar (on ships which have it) which people can choose to attend, or not!

Edited by Seapoint

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. My cruise last week was as close to perfect as I could have wished for. When I came across anything that was not to my taste, I just moved on (no ducking or diving required) to something that was. Simple - and my ideal of modern luxury. Sorry it's not yours. :)

And the more I think about it, there were FAR more places with either silence or quiet music than there were "loud" places. It's not even a real big compromise for these people. I don't get it.

I don't either, but what can you do, other than suggest that there be a compromise, unfortunately I have and it has gone over worse than a lead balloon on here.

This subject has been beat to death. If you don't like the volume leave the area or go back to your cabin if you are one that has a hole in the wall cabin maybe you should choose a cabin with a little more room so you can choose your personal flavor of music. Celebrity is catering to what the majority want. When there is no one in a particular area celebrity will change. Until then choose by walking out if you don't like it leave. At home it is a constant argument because I prefer music loud enough I can hear it not the people talking. Yes I have some hearing loss for 30 years in auto and machine shops. :eek::confused:

This subject has been beat to death. If you don't like the volume leave the area or go back to your cabin if you are one that has a hole in the wall cabin maybe you should choose a cabin with a little more room so you can choose your personal flavor of music. Celebrity is catering to what the majority want. When there is no one in a particular area celebrity will change. Until then choose by walking out if you don't like it leave. At home it is a constant argument because I prefer music loud enough I can hear it not the people talking. Yes I have some hearing loss for 30 years in auto and machine shops. :eek::confused:

It would appear that 2% of the folks taking the poll agree with you :)

Why should you have to hide in your cabin?

It's not like you go to a really loud restaurant - you either walk out or suffer for one meal, end of story. You wouldn't go back the next night and the next night and...but on a cruise you are a captive at sea.

I will reiterate my main objection to all of this: the unexpected change. Having X be one way for years and years - boasting that they had no PR announcements to disrupt your day, lovely, DIVERSE music throughout the ship. And not knowing this before you booked, or playing Russian Roulette with the outcome - will I get a "normal" ship, or will I get one of the outrageously loud ones?

you miss the point completely if celebrity does not see empty venues on ship when loud music is played they will not changed. If those that don't like it just endure and complain nothing will change. :mad: I choose to go to my cabin to listen to the kind of music I like as most areas of ship do not. I would always prefer no music at all than elevator music. Acid rock is as objectionable as opera. Neither do I want to have so loud I cant get away from It. I do not cruise for the Music being played on the ship. :(

I do think there is a place for very loud music - Quasar.

perhaps, the poll should have asked how people feel about VERY loud music - so loud that you must shout or point to be heard/understood.

The OP set the parameters of the poll, and made very clear the definition. Anyone can define "loud music" anyway they want, (from 10dB 120dB) but for the sake of debate in this thread can we just stick that?

By loud music, I mean music loud enough to cause you to have to raise your voice considerably to talk

I agree with you COMPLETELY, that QUASAR has been/is the place for REALLY loud or VERY loud music.

It is TOO loud, and UNACCEPTABLY loud for ME... therefore *I* don't go there. BUT, I do NOT feel "cheated," "slighted," or "short changed" on a cruise because of that. NOR do I feel that Celebrity is offering "preferential treatment" to those people who DO choose to go there. :rolleyes: IT IS AN OPTION.

The PROBLEM is, Quasar was DUMPED during the building of Reflection, (and most likely will BE dumped during future upgrades to the rest of the S Class) because it WASN'T BEING USED by more than 10-20 people.

Quasar is a incredibly cool looking, awesomely glitzy place, that is close to PERFECT for what it was designed for... the "younger" end of the demographic who like (ridiculously:D) LOUD, (obnoxious :p) CONTEMPORARY music. ;)

UNFORTUNATELY, my recent 15 night cruise on Reflection made it VERY clear Celebrity has "remade" the SKY LOUNGE into the new iteration of Quasar. (by playing the aforementioned type of music at the aforementioned volume levels)

LO and Behold... WITH THE SAME RESULTS. Not ONE evening was there EVER more than 20 people in there. :eek:

Leaving the larger numbers of people, who make up the vast majority of Celebrity's demographic, with nowhere to go to enjoy the music and volume levels that most of those guests prefer.

Last April on Silhouette I watched people exit the elevators, en route to the Sky Lounge, and simply roll their eyes and just get back in the elevator when they heard the music that was being played and the volume at which it was being played.

THAT makes me feel like I (and the majority of Celebrity's demographic) are being slighted and short changed.

Edited by teecee60

Hello Folks

It would appear that this poll indicates that the majority of people would prefer no loud music on their cruise. So what advice would you now give to Celebrity based on the results of this poll???

I know some of you have shares in the company, so consider this in your replies

Regards

John