A Reason To Keep Passports In Your Safe

PTMary

Give us the statistics about how many of those missing/stolen passports actually fell into the wrong hands and were used for bad purposes.

At least 60,000 it seems, wassup.:rolleyes:

And we now know of two more.

how come I never read any scare postings on CC about having your cash or credit cards stolen while ashore? Not to mention your Smart Phones or your i-devices?

Probably because you see only what you want to see. Plenty of warnings on these forums about cards, cash & cameras vs

thieves & pick-pockets.

We don't leave our credit cards lying around or put our phones on display on top of our towels while swimming. Why is safeguarding our bona-fide official pocket-size passport more difficult than that?

It isn't any more difficult.

But nor is safeguarding, say, $10,000 in large bills.Or every credit card you possess. Or a priceless diamond ring. But you don't need them when you go swimming, so you don't carry them.

Same applies to your passport.

If I get into a traffic accident in a foreign country (say a bus hits me), or if I get falsely arrested, or I find myself in a hospital with a serious injury, - I will count on my authentic passport to open doors for me. Yeah, probably a photocopy will get those doors open, but not nearly as fast.

I think you'll find that your credit card & insurance cover-note will open doors faster than your passport.

I rather think, wassup, that you're a troll. :rolleyes:

Didn't think that when I saw your first post on the subject on another thread, but your views were pretty naïve. You came up with comments that were even more gullible and were put right by many contributors on at least two previous threads, including plenty of verified statistics about risks and consequences of take-ashore vs leave-in-safe. .

Now I rather suspect that you know you're on a loser, but it's fun trying to wind people up.

But not me, pal :D

JB :)

One factor to consider when deciding whether to take a passport ashore vs leaving it in the cabin safe, is what nationality the port is and/or the location of the nearest US consulate. The further away it is, the stronger the argument in favor of taking the passport ashore, b/c the harder it will be to get an emergency passport issued in case you miss the ship. Here's some examples:

1) San Juan

This is US territory, so if you miss the ship, no passport is required to fly home.

2) Genoa, Italy

There is no US consulate that issues emergency passports here, but there is one in Milan, which is about 150 miles away by train.

3) St Maarten, Netherlands Antilles

There is no US consulate here. The one with jurisdiction over St Maarten is in Curacao, which is 500 miles away by air.

One factor to consider when deciding whether to take a passport ashore vs leaving it in the cabin safe, is what nationality the port is and/or the location of the nearest US consulate. The further away it is, the stronger the argument in favor of taking the passport ashore, b/c the harder it will be to get an emergency passport issued in case you miss the ship. Here's some examples:

1) San Juan

This is US territory, so if you miss the ship, no passport is required to fly home.

2) Genoa, Italy

There is no US consulate that issues emergency passports here, but there is one in Milan, which is about 150 miles away by train.

There is no US consulate here. The one with jurisdiction over St Maarten is in Curacao, which is 500 miles away by air.

when its physically impossible to get to the consulate, what you do is contact the emergency desk at the state department. they can issue an emergency authorization to travel without a passport. that is what a copy of your passport can expedite so they can find your file and issue it. I strongly suggest you contact your local congress person at home to effectuate this. btw if there are 40,000,000 lost stolen or otherwise invalidated passports don't you think that is a greater risk than missing your ship?

btw the us embassy in Barbados covers St Martin with a consular employee there in an emergency coming over.

Didn't think that when I saw your first post on the subject on another thread, but your views were pretty naïve. You came up with comments that were even more gullible and were put right by many contributors on at least two previous threads, including plenty of verified statistics about risks and consequences of take-ashore vs leave-in-safe. .

Now I rather suspect that you know you're on a loser, but it's fun trying to wind people up.

I am not a troll. I have posted in many forums here on many subjects for several years.

You use words like "naive," "gullible," and "loser," to describe me. Yet I have never resorted to personal attacks, like yours, in any of my posts.

I simply keep saying that carrying a passport with you when you are in a foreign country is the best and fastest way to demonstrate one's bona fides in case of trouble. And I maintain that if a person can keep track of a credit card, cash and devices, that person can also safeguard a passport.

1) San Juan

2) Genoa, Italy

See, that's the thing right there. When you're sitting (wrongfully) in a jail or stranded in a third-world hospital, do you even know where the nearest help is from your government? No, you don't, and you will likely have no way of finding that information out very quickly. Then when you do finally track the person down in a town 200 miles away from where you are, are you going to tell him/her, "No I don't have my passport? But I have a photocopy."

Not to mention what the local authorities might think of your photocopy. Their citizens would never set foot in a foreign country without a bona fide passport. And you think you don't need one?

You use words like "naive," "gullible," and "loser," to describe me. Yet I have never resorted to personal attacks, like yours, in any of my posts.

Seriously? Here is a quote from you in post #74: "Then you carry on to scare people about millions of missing/stolen passports,"

And of course, that snarky: "I'm a grown-up" comment in post #32, clearly intended to ridicule the maturity of those of us who prefer keeping our passports in our safe.

It is quite clear that you consider some of us to be very much beneath you. Your overall attitude is synonymous to making personal attacks. :rolleyes:

See, that's the thing right there. When you're sitting (wrongfully) in a jail or stranded in a third-world hospital, do you even know where the nearest help is from your government? No, you don't, and you will likely have no way of finding that information out very quickly. Then when you do finally track the person down in a town 200 miles away from where you are, are you going to tell him/her, "No I don't have my passport? But I have a photocopy."

Not to mention what the local authorities might think of your photocopy. Their citizens would never set foot in a foreign country without a bona fide passport. And you think you don't need one?

The major flaw in your argument is that if I were in such a situation I would know exactly where my actual passport was and could make arrangements to have it retrieved. I can have it in hand in a relatively short amount of time.

But, if the passport is lost or stolen, a much bigger problem is not having a clue where it is or who may have possession of it. It will be gone forever. How is that any better than the situation you described?

At least with a simple photocopy you could prove who you are. With a missing passport, there is no proof.

Edited by boogs

Just to clear the air, wassup.;)

Your posts are littered with denigrating comments, SantaFeFan has quoted only a couple of them. If you're prepared to give it, you should be prepared to take it.

I didn't suggest you were a loser, I said you were on a loser, ie you were backing the wrong horse/argument, & that's a very different thing.

But yes, "naïve & gullible", because, sorry, that's what I've seen.

Particularly on other recent threads on the subject, such as your "myth" of stolen passports, or discrimination against you in San Juan because you're Canadian.

But your latest post, re "sitting wrongfully in a (foreign) jail" is a classic. Makes it sound like foreign jails are chock-full of innocent American/Canadian vacationers. All very dramatic, but that's not the way it is simply because you've left the shores of North America - there's civilisation beyond Canada.

I guess if I visited Syria, North Korea, or Somalia I'd carry my passport even if not required to. But a mature tourist being wrongfully arrested & thrown into, say, a Caribbean or European jail?????? Nah, the odds of that vs your passport being lost/stolen ashore have got to be astronomic.

Troll perhaps wasn't the right word, my apology. Yes, appreciated that you're a regular contributor & as I mentioned Troll wasn't what I first thought.

But because you've thrown up some pretty dubious passport theories & scenarios on several threads, had each dismissed/dis-proven by so many contributors yet manfully continued to bring up more losing arguments, I'd come to the conclusion that you now just wanted a bit of fun seeing how far you could push it. ;)

Yes, although IMHO the arguments for leaving your passport in the cabin safe are far stronger, there are arguments for taking it ashore.

But you've brought up others that IMHO are pretty spurious.

Regards

Edited by John Bull

I am not a troll. I have posted in many forums here on many subjects for several years.

I simply keep saying that carrying a passport with you when you are in a foreign country is the best and fastest way to demonstrate one's bona fides in case of trouble. And I maintain that if a person can keep track of a credit card, cash and devices, that person can also safeguard a passport.

In the interests of accuracy, JB did not use the word "loser" to describe you. He said that you were "on a loser", meaning that you were going to be unsuccessful in getting him to respond to some of your comments on this thread. Reading comprehension is everything! :)

Edited by lisiamc

John Bull, thank you for retracting the "troll" accusation - much appreciated.

I don't think foreign jails are chock-full of tourists. However, tourists do sometimes get into trouble, usually inadvertently, - I'm thinking of something like a serious traffic accident involving injuries, for example. Depending on the country, they could be arrested and end up in jail. In that case, I believe things will go better for them if they have their passports.

I don't think the risk of having a passport stolen is very high in most countries either. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on that.

Finally, maybe I should be flattered at being called naive - it makes me sound so young. At the age of 65, that can only be a good thing, right? However, please don't assume I'm ignorant about the world beyond Canada's borders. I've traveled widely all my life (including in your beautiful country).

Note to SantaFeFan: Were you trying to throw gasoline on the fire here?

I don't think the risk of having a passport stolen is very high in most countries either. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on that.

Oh, do you have a lot to learn. Naivety doesn't begin to describe the scenario you present.

Passport theft in a large part of the world is HIGH DOLLAR theft. US passports WITHOUT CHIPS (issued pre 2006) are worth up to $40,000 on the black market in some countries (dark haired, brown eyed male with a UK/US non chipped passport-EASILY worth $30,000 CASH on the barrelhead in most of the Middle East). There are theft rings operating in the Caribbean, Mexico, the Middle East, Europe that do NOTHING but steal passports and Bangkok is the capital of forged/altered, stolen passports. There are also a lot of people who are asked to SELL their passports and then report them stolen. I bet there isn't a US government contractor working in Bosnia, Djibouti or the Middle East who has not been approached by someone to sell their US passport.

Right outside the main "drug store" line in Algodones Mexico is a group of guys offering to buy US passports. They even have the paperwork to fill out to get you through Immigration back to the US-a bogus police report from the Algodones police dept showing you got your passport stolen in Algodones. Nogales, Arizona is even worse-between actual outright theft and those who offer to buy your passport, stolen passports are a thriving business in Nogales and those passports go directly to the coyotes who sell them to the highest bidder. Recently, in Arizona, the highest bidders have been Asians but a year ago, there was a HUGE amount of Middle Easterners coming in from Mexico, via Ciudad del Este Paraguay which is rife with every drug in the world, every type of weapon you could possibly imagine and is filled with Al Queda/Hamas/Islamic Jihad, etc. etc. types.

So PLEASE, just make us a little more UNSAFE by carrying your passport on your person anyplace except where you absolutely have to (required by local law). There were 320,000 lost or stolen US passports in 2013. I sure bet there weren't 320,000 people who missed the ship or were jailed in a foreign country for nonsense. And if you are referring to Mexico and a car wreck, the WORST thing you can have is a US passport on your person. You need a Mexican insurance card and a small amount of cash. With that passport in your possession, you just set yourself up for a HUGE amount of cash to be paid for the car wreck. Even all the snowbirds who spend winters in Arizona have gotten wise to NOT taking their passports into Mexico because there have been so many incidents where "mordida" (the bite-a bribe) was imposed the minute the police or criminals saw those blue US passport books. Now most have the credit card sized passport cards which are only good for border crossings via land. MUCH safer for all concerned.

I write this from Afghanistan. My passport is safely locked in the Processing Center safe. I am not even allowed to carry it in one of the most dangerous places in the world.

I don't think the risk of having a passport stolen is very high in most countries either.

Let's see, since 2002 InterPol has amassed a database of over 40 million stolen or lost passports (in just 12 years!). Yeah, you are right. It must not happen very often at all. :rolleyes:

Note to SantaFeFan: Were you trying to throw gasoline on the fire here?

Nope. Just pointing out what is obvious to the rest of us here.

Edited by SantaFeFan

Oh, do you have a lot to learn. Naivety doesn't begin to describe the scenario you present.

Passport theft in a large part of the world is HIGH DOLLAR theft. US passports WITHOUT CHIPS (issued pre 2006) are worth up to $40,000 on the black market in some countries (dark haired, brown eyed male with a UK/US non chipped passport-EASILY worth $30,000 CASH on the barrelhead in most of the Middle East). There are theft rings operating in the Caribbean, Mexico, the Middle East, Europe that do NOTHING but steal passports and Bangkok is the capital of forged/altered, stolen passports. There are also a lot of people who are asked to SELL their passports and then report them stolen. I bet there isn't a US government contractor working in Bosnia, Djibouti or the Middle East who has not been approached by someone to sell their US passport.

Right outside the main "drug store" line in Algodones Mexico is a group of guys offering to buy US passports. They even have the paperwork to fill out to get you through Immigration back to the US-a bogus police report from the Algodones police dept showing you got your passport stolen in Algodones. Nogales, Arizona is even worse-between actual outright theft and those who offer to buy your passport, stolen passports are a thriving business in Nogales and those passports go directly to the coyotes who sell them to the highest bidder. Recently, in Arizona, the highest bidders have been Asians but a year ago, there was a HUGE amount of Middle Easterners coming in from Mexico, via Ciudad del Este Paraguay which is rife with every drug in the world, every type of weapon you could possibly imagine and is filled with Al Queda/Hamas/Islamic Jihad, etc. etc. types.

So PLEASE, just make us a little more UNSAFE by carrying your passport on your person anyplace except where you absolutely have to (required by local law). There were 320,000 lost or stolen US passports in 2013. I sure bet there weren't 320,000 people who missed the ship or were jailed in a foreign country for nonsense. And if you are referring to Mexico and a car wreck, the WORST thing you can have is a US passport on your person. You need a Mexican insurance card and a small amount of cash. With that passport in your possession, you just set yourself up for a HUGE amount of cash to be paid for the car wreck. Even all the snowbirds who spend winters in Arizona have gotten wise to NOT taking their passports into Mexico because there have been so many incidents where "mordida" (the bite-a bribe) was imposed the minute the police or criminals saw those blue US passport books. Now most have the credit card sized passport cards which are only good for border crossings via land. MUCH safer for all concerned.

I write this from Afghanistan. My passport is safely locked in the Processing Center safe. I am not even allowed to carry it in one of the most dangerous places in the world.

Thanks, Greatam. It's so nice to see a rational, well thought argument debunking claims that a person is always safer with their passport in their possession instead of in a safe. Even the US State Department recommends never carrying it unless required to. I have a hard time understanding how some people can't see past their noses on this important subject and post dubious claims and examples in an ineffective attempt to support their own opinion.

I would bet that the owners of those 40 million lost or stolen passports wished they had been smarter and kept them in a safe place.

Edited by boogs

Well, reading here, I have had some of those feelings where I sure love it better here when we get along and the discomfort I have with quibble and worse than quibble in my own cast of characters when at their worse at once...BUT..I am grateful for the thread and just the "what if's" to make a decision.

I don't make a "big travel" often enough and have not gone overseas in forever and am rusty.

My favorite line and sorry not reading back to quote original soul who said it..but...the "If you resemble your passport photo you are not well enough to travel..." LOL...so true and probably nobody would even want to try and use mine..LOL...

In all seriousness..if one did solo travel on trains in Europe..hard to not have it with you..but the risks are a plenty. And the world has changed.

I do remember going to 3 tours after independent study and travel too many years ago and in Egypt and Israel, from a one week cruise part of the tour, they did have pursers keep passports while we had a bus tour into Cairo and Jerusalem respectively...had forgotten that...Sarah

Edited by sjn911

I don't think foreign jails are chock-full of tourists. However, tourists do sometimes get into trouble, usually inadvertently, - I'm thinking of something like a serious traffic accident involving injuries, for example. Depending on the country, they could be arrested and end up in jail. In that case, I believe things will go better for them if they have their passports.

Decades ago, before the EC, that used to be a risk in Spain - resolved by a "bail bond" addition to the travel/motor insurance.

But the world is evolving.

Edited by John Bull

Let's see, since 2002 InterPol has amassed a database of over 40 million stolen or lost passports (in just 12 years!). Yeah, you are right. It must not happen very often at all. :rolleyes:

Nope. Just pointing out what is obvious to the rest of us here.

What proportion were stolen, versus how many were lost? There's a difference. And what does lost mean? Does it mean the passport was zipped into a pocket in a bag, which was never completely unpacked? Or shoved into the pocket of a coat that wasn't worn again? And then reported as "lost" because the person wanted to travel again, couldn't find their passport, and applied for a replacement?

40 million in 12 years, means 3.3 mil (repeating decimal) in one year, worldwide. And of those, some proportion were lost, not stolen. And of the stolen ones, were they randomly stolen around the world, or were the thefts concentrated in some areas, and if so, which ones?

And specifically, for our purposes here on CC, how many of those stolen passports were stolen from cruisers on day excursions from their ship? Because that's what we're talking about here.

And if you are referring to Mexico and a car wreck, the WORST thing you can have is a US passport on your person. You need a Mexican insurance card and a small amount of cash. With that passport in your possession, you just set yourself up for a HUGE amount of cash to be paid for the car wreck.

No, actually I was referring to a trip in June of 2013 to the Dominican Republic, where a gringo in a rented car made a supposed illegal turn (not marked in any way), and was promptly apprehended by the police and taken to the police station. Let's just say the standard of policing and the judicial system are not the same in that country as elsewhere.

He was very lucky, as the Dominican cop also busted my niece, who was raised in that country, and they both landed up in the cop shop together. She was actually afraid they were both going to end up in cells, but because she speaks the language perfectly and understands the culture, (and is cute, and sucked up big-time, and donated some cash to the police fund) she was able to get them both off.

If he'd been on his own, he'd have been jailed for sure. The consulate is four hours away from that resort area. Knowing Dominicans as I do (having traveled there almost every year since 1980) I'm not sure their cops would even respect a passport, but I'm pretty sure they would think a photocopy was a joke.

I'm not trying to tell people what to do. I'm telling them what I do, and why.

Why do you object to that so much?

What proportion were stolen, versus how many were lost? There's a difference. And what does lost mean? Does it mean the passport was zipped into a pocket in a bag, which was never completely unpacked? Or shoved into the pocket of a coat that wasn't worn again? And then reported as "lost" because the person wanted to travel again, couldn't find their passport, and applied for a replacement?

40 million in 12 years, means 3.3 mil (repeating decimal) in one year, worldwide. And of those, some proportion were lost, not stolen. And of the stolen ones, were they randomly stolen around the world, or were the thefts concentrated in some areas, and if so, which ones?

Boy, you are like a dog on a bone. You just won't give up! What difference does it make whether it is lost or stolen? It is still no longer in the owner's possession. Isn't that the point? Your nitpicking is becoming very tiring, with the same challenges over and over again. If I were smart I'd stop trying to inform you on what is considered the safe handling of our passports. You obviously have no intention of even considering that you may be wrong.

And specifically, for our purposes here on CC, how many of those stolen passports were stolen from cruisers on day excursions from their ship? Because that's what we're talking about here.

While visiting St. Petersburg, Russia on our cruise in 2011, three people on one bus had their passports stolen. Another had theirs stolen the next day while walking around Talin, Estonia. And yet another had theirs stolen in Amsterdam the day before they boarded the ship. These were all revealed during a Q&A session with the officer who was second in command of our ship. Five people on one cruise. There may have been more, but if so we weren't told about it.

If this is a typical number of occurrences, and it is multiplied by the number of cruises per year, the number of cruise passengers who become separated from their passports would number in the thousands. And keep in mind that most cruise passengers have never heard of Cruise Critic, much less are a member, so they won't be posting their experiences here. Those of us who learn from what is posted here would be considered much more informed than the average passenger. That is why most people who post to these threads advise leaving passports in the stateroom safe.

Edited by boogs

What proportion were stolen, versus how many were lost?

And of the stolen ones, were they randomly stolen around the world, or were the thefts concentrated in some areas, and if so, which ones?

And specifically, for our purposes here on CC, how many of those stolen passports were stolen from cruisers on day excursions from their ship?

We all get statistics from the internet, wassup, same as you can.

So why keep asking us to come up with the answers?

Wouldn't your case be a great deal stronger if you quoted figures to support your view, instead of pouring scorn on every statistic that's presented by others?

If you came up with figures showing that passports were safer on your person rather than in the cabin safe, I'd be impressed. ;)

But we both know that if those statistics are out there they'd tell the opposite. :rolleyes:

I don't anyone is going to be able to provide the "exact" statistic -- and it wouldn't convince you in any case.

We all have to make our own decision. After weighing the preponderance of evidence available, I have determined that FOR ME the risk of some untoward event happening to me ashore is much lower than the risk of my passport being stolen. For various reasons:

I've been cruising (and traveling by other means) outside the US for about 40 years. I have never once come close to missing the ship. I do not rent cars or drive in foreign countries. I do not drink to excess and am overall a very responsible and careful person.

In those 40 years, I have heard many personal stories from folks who managed to lose their passports, the vast majority via theft. I have never personally come across someone who needed their passport and really regretted leaving it behind.

Despite all my experience and awareness as a "grown up", I was pickpocketed in Barcelona a few years back. They managed to take my wallet out of a zipped bag that was carried under my arm without my knowledge. ....Luckily, my passport was in my safe. If it had been in my purse, it would have been gone. So I do urge you, if you insist on carrying it with you, to carry it ONLY in a concealed pouch or pocket underneath your clothing. I personally know three men who thought their belongings were safe in a FRONT pocket of their pants -- they were stolen.

And as a final note, those who take the ship's excursions in ports are not immune to theft or loss. Here's a report of 22 cruise ship passengers on a ship tour in Mexico a couple of years ago who were relieved of their valuables, including passports, by armed bandits:

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/feb/26/local/la-me-0227-carnival-robbery-20120227

I used to feel it is better to carry my passport but after reading threads in the past with the same topic and other research I came to the conclusion my passport was better kept on the ship. The huge advantage of having your passport on you is you can leave at your convenience is you miss the ship. On the other hand if your passport is lost or stolen that is a whole new can of worms.

I remember reading an article about a passenger on a cruise ship that was mugged and his passport stolen. I am not sure if his sea pass was taken or not but this person reported the theft when he got back to the ship. After doing so he was taken off the ship and had to get a new passport before being allowed back on. I related this story on a similar thread and wouldn't you know it someone posted back that they were on that sailing and gave a few further details. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1604678&page=3

After reading that article and finding out that the cruise ship will actually try to retrieve your passport and leave it with the port agent from this thread and other first hand accounts of the cruise line retrieving stranded passengers passports I concluded I was covered by more situations that could arise on a cruise by leaving it my cabin safe.

I have also enrolled in the State Department STEP program. This program will assist you in cases of emergency while overseas including getting a passport replacement.

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/go/step.html

Shak

Suppose you lock your passport in the safe. Not a bad supposition

Suppose you are late getting back to the ship. It happens.

Suppose they took the passports from the safe and gave them to the port agent. Could be.

Suppose you just got back as the ship was ready to leave. Can happen

Suppose in the rush to get on board no one mentioned the passports. Ship happens.

Who do you suppose has the most problems? YOU!

Suppose you lock your passport in the safe. Not a bad supposition

Suppose you are late getting back to the ship. It happens.

Suppose they took the passports from the safe and gave them to the port agent. Could be.

Suppose you just got back as the ship was ready to leave. Can happen

Suppose in the rush to get on board no one mentioned the passports. Ship happens.

Who do you suppose has the most problems? YOU!

Agreed, my feathered friend.

Even though in those circumstances the passport would catch up with you, almost certainly at the next port.

And there are other scenarios when it'd be best to have your passport on your person, I don't think anyone would argue against that.

But that's a pretty convoluted sequence of circumstances compared to having your pocket picked or a passport in a bag left on a bus / beside a restaurant chair. Or even being robbed at knife-point or gun-point.

Which do you suppose is the more likely? ;)