A Reason To Keep Passports In Your Safe

PTMary

We have long advocated (and even posted) as simple philosophy. One should view a valid Passport as something similar to $10,000 in cash. So when you carry that document you should treat it the same way you would treat carrying $10,000 cash. We are not aware of anyone who routinely carries that much cash as most people would say that is just crazy. Well, there you go :)

Hank

and, that's a good reason to keep my passport on.my.person. on my cruise :)

• 1 month later...
Do you know that for a fact, do you know anyone that has had that actually happen. I believe that this is one of the myths of cruising.

Recently reported on the HAL board:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=43011104&postcount=54

To quote, in part: "Last fall was our 31st cruise. We missed the ship by 15 min in Barcelona.we had returned to ship the 3 prior days at five, four, and seven and we thought it was six! Port police met us and had us wait for the ships agent who had our passports. She hailed us a cab so we could go to the train station."

Recently reported on the HAL board:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=43011104&postcount=54

To quote, in part: "Last fall was our 31st cruise. We missed the ship by 15 min in Barcelona.we had returned to ship the 3 prior days at five, four, and seven and we thought it was six! Port police met us and had us wait for the ships agent who had our passports. She hailed us a cab so we could go to the train station."

Thanks for that. I need to bookmark this post so it can be thrown in the face of those bullheaded doubters who repeatedly proclaim: "I won't believe it until I hear it from someone it has happened to". Of course, hearing directly from someone still won't be satisfactory. They will then use the excuse that "This is just one a time occurrence. It rarely happens because I have never seen it happen with my own two eyes."

See post #35 for a classic example of this foolish stubbornness, where the poster claims it is "a myth of cruising". :rolleyes:http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=41987154&postcount=35

Edited by boogs

Thanks for that. I need to bookmark this post so it can be thrown in the face of those bullheaded doubters who repeatedly proclaim: "I won't believe it until I hear it from someone it has happened to". Of course, hearing directly from someone still won't be satisfactory. They will then use the excuse that "This is just one a time occurrence. It rarely happens because I have never seen it happen with my own two eyes."

See post #35 for a classic example of this foolish stubbornness, where the poster claims it is "a myth of cruising". :rolleyes:http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=41987154&postcount=35

That post is quoted in my response above (and it's the reason I returned to this thread to post. ;))

It's certainly not the first time I've read a first-hand report of this happening, but it's difficult to search for them after the fact when you can't recall who posted it or when....

The captain of a ship we were on within the last 2 years said exactly that- the safes would be checked, and the port agent notified.

no they wont , as stated above , for persons that left them on the ship and missed the boat. You need them on you not in the safe , you might as well not have one if you leave it in the safe.

no they wont , as stated above , for persons that left them on the ship and missed the boat. You need them on you not in the safe , you might as well not have one if you leave it in the safe.

Haven't you been reading any of these posts? Numerous people have reported that they indeed look in your safe and retrieve any passports found there to be given over to the port representative if you miss the ship. Are you saying all these people are liars? Or don't you understand simple English?

Haven't you been reading any of these posts? Numerous people have reported that they indeed look in your safe and retrieve any passports found there to be given over to the port representative if you miss the ship. Are you saying all these people are liars? Or don't you understand simple English?

Give him a break. He just joined today, so of course he's the newest expert who thinks he has all the answers, while the rest of us "veterans" are clearly too ignorant to know anything! :rolleyes:

Edited by SantaFeFan

If the ship was ready to sail, and if you have not returned, time permitting, the ships staff will attempt to look in your cabin's safe to find your passport or other travel documents (some passengers will not have passports).

However they will not always be successful:

Per Royal Caribbean, ".... While some cruisers may have had the experience of our ships crew being able to give the port security their travel documents due to missing the ship; regrettably, this is not always the case. Typically we do not have the time to do this. We are sorry for any disappointment this response may cause you. Royal Caribbean International highly recommends bringing a photo copy of all of your travel documents, such as your passport, with you into the ports of calls in case of emergency. In addition, if you feel you might not make it back to the ship on time, or you have missed the ship, you can contact our Emergency Travel Team twenty-four hours a day for assistance. Their contact number will be located on the back of your Seapass card. ... "

Per Carnival, "... If you miss the ship, we will try our best to obtain your passports, but sometimes that's not possible. We will, however, notify the port agent so that he/she can assist you either rejoining the ship or going home. ..."

If the ship was ready to sail, and if you have not returned, time permitting, the ships staff will attempt to look in your cabin's safe to find your passport or other travel documents (some passengers will not have passports).

However they will not always be successful

Per Royal Caribbean, ".... While some cruisers may have had the experience of our ships crew being able to give the port security their travel documents due to missing the ship; regrettably, this is not always the case. Typically we do not have the time to do this. We are sorry for any disappointment this response may cause you. Royal Caribbean International highly recommends bringing a photo copy of all of your travel documents, such as your passport, with you into the ports of call in case of emergency. In addition, if you feel you might not make it back to the ship on time, or you have missed the ship, you can contact our Emergency Travel Team twenty-four hours a day for assistance. Their contact number will be located on the back of your Seapass card. ... "

Per Carnival, "... If you miss the ship, we will try our best to obtain your passports, but sometimes that's not possible. We will, however, notify the port agent so that he/she can assist you either rejoining the ship or going home. ..."

Same words.

Different emphasis. ;)

JB :)

this will not always happen. for many the ship didnt have the time or the men available to do so.

this will not always happen. for many the ship didnt have the time or the men available to do so.

Of course they have the time and manpower.

Time: The ship has a 30-minute window between the all-aboard time and the sail time. If someone isn't on board at the designated time, they have plenty of time to check if he/she may be on a late-arriving ship excursion. If not, they begin to page them (we've all heard this). They check the cabin to see if the person is there. It would be easy to also look for their passport at that time.

I have read reports here on CC of folks who arrived back at the ship AFTER the all-aboard but before sailaway. They were allowed back on, but their passports had already been gathered and the ship was preparing to leave them with the port agent.

Manpower: Exactly how many people do you think are late arriving back? It doesn't take an army to check the cabins of a couple of folks.

Worth Noting: The staff will ONLY look in your safe for your passport; they don't search your cabin. If you don't leave it in the safe, it likely will not be retrieved. Also, some people you read about that got left without a passport may not even HAVE a passport as it's not required for some closed-loop cruises, particularly in the Caribbean. We read nearly daily here about folks who have decided to cruise without one, despite the risks.

Of course they have the time and manpower.

Time: The ship has a 30-minute window between the all-aboard time and the sail time. If someone isn't on board at the designated time, they have plenty of time to check if he/she may be on a late-arriving ship excursion. If not, they begin to page them (we've all heard this). They check the cabin to see if the person is there. It would be easy to also look for their passport at that time.

I have read reports here on CC of folks who arrived back at the ship AFTER the all-aboard but before sailaway. They were allowed back on, but their passports had already been gathered and the ship was preparing to leave them with the port agent.

Manpower: Exactly how many people do you think are late arriving back? It doesn't take an army to check the cabins of a couple of folks.

Worth Noting: The staff will ONLY look in your safe for your passport; they don't search your cabin. If you don't leave it in the safe, it likely will not be retrieved. Also, some people you read about that got left without a passport may not even HAVE a passport as it's not required for some closed-loop cruises, particularly in the Caribbean. We read nearly daily here about folks who have decided to cruise without one, despite the risks.

Thank you for a rational post. We have always been told that they will only look in your safe for the passports, They will NOT search your stateroom desk, your stored luggage, under the piles of clothes on the sofa, under the mattress, etc. Your safe only. THAT is why they put the disclaimer that they will attempt to retrieve your passport. If it's not in the safe, they would assume you have it with you, and they are done.

Like you write, how much time does can it really take? Typically, only one or two people may miss the ship in any port. It's not like it's a swarm of people.

For the life of me I can't understand why so many people are so distrustful of the cruise lines doing the right thing? They trust the staff with their lives, from food preparation to safety in the case of an emergency. Then, for a simple thing like retrieving a passport, all of a sudden they are too inept to handle that simple task! :rolleyes:

Edited by boogs