A Reason To Keep Passports In Your Safe

PTMary

I read on USA Today that InterPol knew the passports were stolen, but the airport/airline allowed the passengers to board anyway.

Also mentioned by Interpol that the airline didn't check the Interpol data base. So they weren't allowed "to board anyway".

Again, lets not jump to any conclusions here. There is so much we don't know.

I read on USA Today that InterPol knew the passports were stolen, but the airport/airline allowed the passengers to board anyway. If that's the case, I'd bet each of their families knew they had their passports stolen, and were therefore hesitant to believe the reports initially without confirmation.

Presumably the owners of those lost passports have received replacements. Who would know immediately after hearing about the accident that they were the stolen passports, and that it wasn't the actual people on board using their new passports? Do you know where everyone of your friends and family are at all times? The news article I quoted above indicated that the Italian gentleman is the one who notified the authorities that he was very much alive. I have to guess that that is when the authorities discovered the use of stolen passports, considering how lax they were at checking the validity of the passports at boarding time.

Further, I'm certain their names are suitably unlinked from the investigation, given that their passports had been reported as stolen. If I'd had my passport stolen, I wouldn't worry one bit about being named in such an investigation.

Maybe now they are unlinked, but interviews with at least one of the owners of the stolen passports says that he has been, as he puts it, "inundated" with queries, questions, and requests for interviews. And worse, he read stories about himself in the press without him even being interviewed. Why would anyone want to go through that if they could avoid it? That would be a serious inconvenience for the majority of people, myself included.

I would NOT want my passport to be involved in anything like this.

Edited by boogs

Original in the safe on board.

Color photocopy, laminated to a card that includes emergency info. In the event that I cannot speak for myself, I hope to be reunited with family.

Copy goes in a money belt/pouch worn inside my clothing with my credit card and any big bills. Pockets/cross body purse has only 'walking around money'

Sue Do-Over

Traveling aboard Carnival Legend

Medical Alert: xxx, yyy

Medications: zzz

Allergic to: aaa

Traveling with: Paul Do-Over (spouse) 999.555.1212

Emergency: John Doe (brother) 999.555.2121

Here's a reason to keep it with you. On my recent cruise in December two men missed the ship at our first port stop in Cozumel. Because they left their passports in the safe, they could only return to the US to meet the ship at the end of the cruise. If they had the passports they could have hopped on a plane to the next stop.

Interesting. Wonder how they could fly back to the USA without their passport. And by the way, we could tell the story of the NY Police Officer (and his wife) who had their Passports stolen while on their person in Tel Aviv, Israel. This happened on our Celebrity Silhouette Cruise (Oct 2012). And we knew another couple that had their Passport's stolen (while in their fanny pack) in Barcelona and missed their cruise (they could not board the ship without their Passports and it took several days to get replacements in Barcelona).

What is even more fascinating is that we learned today that Interpol has a data base that lists more then 40 Million stolen Passports and other travel documents. Here is a link that references this fact:

http://news.yahoo.com/interpol-says-examining-additional-suspect-passports-malaysia-flight-130200611--sector.html

We assume that most of those folks thought their Passports were quite safe.

Hank

I'm a grown-up and when I am in a foreign country, I carry the original documentation from my country that says I'm a citizen, and that I am who I say I am (that is, my passport). I can keep that safe, along with my cash and credit card.

The document I'm most worried about having stolen is my Canadian Health Card.

I'm a grown-up and when I am in a foreign country, I carry the original documentation from my country that says I'm a citizen, and that I am who I say I am (that is, my passport). I can keep that safe, along with my cash and credit card.

What the heck does being a "grown up" have to do with this? Are you implying that those of us who follow the US State Department's advice to keep our passports stored in a safe are immature and juvenile? :mad:

Edited by boogs

Here's a reason to keep it with you. On my recent cruise in December two men missed the ship at our first port stop in Cozumel. Because they left their passports in the safe, they could only return to the US to meet the ship at the end of the cruise. If they had the passports they could have hopped on a plane to the next stop.

The last time you told this story I checked the airline schedules and catching up with the ship at the next port would have required a lengthy layover in Miami and they would have landed in the next port hours after the ship had left (not to mention an airfare of over $700 each), so having their passport with them would not have helped them catch up to the ship (although it would have minimized the time they would have had to wait to board a flight home, because they wouldn't need to wait for the cruise line to get the passport back to them in Cozumel).

If you are going to miss the ship Princess will send an officer to your cabin to check the safe. If it is there it will be removed and left with the ship's port agent for you. I am sure other lines do this as well.

Do you know that for a fact, do you know anyone that has had that actually happen. I believe that this is one of the myths of cruising.

The last time you told this story I checked the airline schedules and catching up with the ship at the next port would have required a lengthy layover in Miami and they would have landed in the next port hours after the ship had left (not to mention an airfare of over $700 each), so having their passport with them would not have helped them catch up to the ship (although it would have minimized the time they would have had to wait to board a flight home, because they wouldn't need to wait for the cruise line to get the passport back to them in Cozumel).

Your information was incorrect, what you didn't take into account was small airlines that flew directly from Mexico to Grand Cayman, there was ample opportunity for them to fly to Cayman if they had their passports. I'm only passing on information, you wish to call me a liar that's your problem.

One of the times that someone brought up this information about people missing the boat and crewman running to the cabin, some asked a Captain on a major line about it. He said the common sense thing, if they know this is going to happen they will do that but if they have no idea these people are missing the boat, they don't do it. Basically this is one of those things on this board that is mentioned but there is no proof it is done.

Your information was incorrect, what you didn't take into account was small airlines that flew directly from Mexico to Grand Cayman, there was ample opportunity for them to fly to Cayman if they had their passports. I'm only passing on information, you wish to call me a liar that's your problem.

One of the times that someone brought up this information about people missing the boat and crewman running to the cabin, some asked a Captain on a major line about it. He said the common sense thing, if they know this is going to happen they will do that but if they have no idea these people are missing the boat, they don't do it. Basically this is one of those things on this board that is mentioned but there is no proof it is done.

If you think that anything in post constituted calling you a liar then I apologize, that was not my intent. You are correct, I did not take that information into account and reached an incorrect conclusion. Thank you for the clarification.

Do you know that for a fact, do you know anyone that has had that actually happen. I believe that this is one of the myths of cruising.

I cannot speak for what happens on a Princess ship, but I have seen passports being handed to the port agent on a RCCL cruise. The latecomers turned up just in the nick of time, and I also saw their passports being handed back to them.

I like to hang over the rail and watch for latecomers. I see all sorts of interesting things that way! :)

I don't get the connection. You are advising people to leave the passports in the safe. The 2 people's passports were taken from their hotel safe. If they had the passports on their person, the passports would not have been stolen. Sorry, I always carry my passport with me in a foreign country.

I have not heard anything about the passports being stolen from their hotel safe- just their hotel room. In any event, it is far more likely to have your pocket picked than to have your hotel safe entered: your passport is bound to be more secure in the safe.

Regardless of all of the bickering and harshness happening on the thread, here's the approach I plan to take while in Victoria BC on our next Alaska cruise:

Photocopy of my passport in the cabin safe.

Passport on my person.

Reasoning: While on the ground of a foreign country, I wish to have my passport accessible without a need to use any secondary means of access (in other words, I don't want to stand there and say "if you trust that this cruise card and a magic number in my brain will get me to my passport, I can show it to you"; I want to be able to show it on request). Should I lose my passport, I intend to return to the ship (where theoretically I only need my cruise card), return to the safe, and get access to my photocopy of my passport.

Short version: use the safety copy as a safety copy, use the real thing for customs & immigration services as needed.

Interesting:

What has age got to do with things?

Does Canada really make it harder for someone who has his passport and can prove eligibility to get a replacement Canadian Health Card than to get a replacement passport?

Do you really believe it is more likely to have something stolen from a safe than to have your pocket picked in a foreign country?

While it did not happen to us, it happened to our table mates on a previous cruise. Just as has been mentioned here, their passports were with the port agent. I prefer to believe people I have had the pleasure of spending several meals with than someone who continually refuses to believe what most of us know to be true.

And, during a Q&A session with Captain Nicolas Pagonis on Celebrity Reflection last year, someone asked about this situation. He answered that they ALWAYS check the safe when they will be leaving someone behind and turn the passports to the shore agent. He also stated that they only look in the safe, not in other places in the room.

1022134.jpg?438

Of course, you know all of this. You have participated in several other threads where I and others have posted the same information, yet you continue to refuse to acknowledge that some of us actually know what we are talking about.

I suggest that you get the real facts on this by deliberately missing the ship on your next cruise, and then come back here and telling us EXACTLY what YOU have experienced - that is, if you have the courage to admit you are wrong! :D

Edited by boogs

People who have been left by the ship have actually posted this, right here on Cruise Critic. :cool:

I agree. Passport, credit cards and large bills go into a money belt secured under one's clothing. No risk of being pick pocketed.

And you're right about the Health Card. Trying to replace one of those is a major PITA. Replacing a passport is much less hassle.

Interesting:

What has age got to do with things?

1. Does Canada really make it harder for someone who has his passport and can prove eligibility to get a replacement Canadian Health Card than to get a replacement passport?

2.Do you really believe it is more likely to have something stolen from a safe than to have your pocket picked in a foreign country?

1. In canada, the Health Card is controlled by the provincial health departments. And because of fraud, they make getting one (or its replacement) quite difficult.

2. I don't see where Wassup stated that it was likely to have something stolen from a safe. I do see that Wassup preferred to have an internationally recognized form of ID (passport) at hand whenever in a foreign country. And I do think that as long as you aren't stupid enough to carry it in your pocket, purse or fanny pack (there's the perfect thief magnet), it will be just as safe as if you had left it back in your room safe. We've travelled throughout Europe for many years. Always had our passports in a money belt. Husband had his pocket picked in Paris once. I think the thief got 10 euros. Someone tried to snatch my bag once. He failed. No one tried to strip us and search for a money belt.

People who have been left by the ship have actually posted this, right here on Cruise Critic. :cool:

The only posts I have ever seen on cruise critic are people who said they heard that the cruise line did it. Also, if one cruise line does it, that does not mean they all do it and I believe a lot depends on the circumstances. I have never seen anyone say they were left by the ship and got their passports and I have been on this board since its inception in 1995.

While it did not happen to us, it happened to our table mates on a previous cruise. Just as has been mentioned here, their passports were with the port agent. I prefer to believe people I have had the pleasure of spending several meals with than someone who continually refuses to believe what most of us know to be true.

And, during a Q&A session with Captain Nicolas Pagonis on Celebrity Reflection last year, someone asked about this situation. He answered that they ALWAYS check the safe when they will be leaving someone behind and turn the passports to the shore agent. He also stated that they only look in the safe, not in other places in the room.

1022134.jpg?438

Of course, you know all of this. You have participated in several other threads where I and others have posted the same information, yet you continue to refuse to acknowledge that some of us actually know what we are talking about.

I suggest that you get the real facts on this by deliberately missing the ship on your next cruise, and then come back here and telling us EXACTLY what YOU have experienced - that is, if you have the courage to admit you are wrong! :D

Perhaps you should read my comments in those threads before you make silly and patronizing remarks. I am simply saying that this may not be an industry wide practice and may not be done on all occasions. I believe what your tablemates said, as I said and have always said, this may not be an industry wide practice yet people post it here as if it is.

I would suggest since you made a silly suggestion to me that you go on every mainstream cruise line that exists and ask each and every Captain if this is the procedure.

Perhaps you should read my comments in those threads before you make silly and patronizing remarks. I am simply saying that this may not be an industry wide practice and may not be done on all occasions. I believe what your tablemates said, as I said and have always said, this may not be an industry wide practice yet people post it here as if it is.

I would suggest since you made a silly suggestion to me that you go on every mainstream cruise line that exists and ask each and every Captain if this is the procedure.

Your chameleon skills are in full view. :D

In a previous post you said, and I quote, "I believe that this is one of the myths of cruising." In other words, you don't believe this is done at all. Now you say "it may not be an industry wide standard." That is a very different claim. So, which on is it. A "myth"? Or "not a standard"?

There is enough evidence to indicate that while a few lines may not be as customer service oriented as others, most, if not all, of the main stream lines show that courtesy.

What is "silly" is your refusal to acknowledge that if a majority of lines indeed do something, it is not a "myth". And your childish challenge to ask "each and every captain" if this is the procedure is even sillier. :rolleyes:

Edited by boogs

The only posts I have ever seen on cruise critic are people who said they heard that the cruise line did it. Also, if one cruise line does it, that does not mean they all do it and I believe a lot depends on the circumstances. I have never seen anyone say they were left by the ship and got their passports and I have been on this board since its inception in 1995.

I recall reading at least 2 posts within the last few years of the ACTUAL occurrence. In one case, it was someone who came very close to missing the ship but made it back in time. Their passports had already been given to the port agent. In a second case, the people actually missed the ship and retrieved their passports from the agent. I don't have time to sift through the gazillion posts that come up on search at the moment but will try to locate them tonight.

In the meantime, we have had confirmation from long-time posters who have asked various officers that this practice does occur at least on some ships including (at a minimum) Celebrity, Princess, and HAL. One would assume if it is part of the SOP for these ships, it probably also holds true for all ships in the corporation, hence we can likely add all the RCL and Carnival Corp lines.

In fact, it may a requirement of the country itself that drives this. For example, here's a post from BruceMuzz (staff member on a Carnival Corporation line) stating this:

"If you do have a passport and leave it on the ship, you need not worry.

Most countries today require the ship to offload the passports of any passengers who do not make it back to the ship for any reason. As soon as we know or suspect that you are not returning, Security visits your cabin to search for your passports. The passports are passed over to the agent, who is then legally responsible for you until local authorities issue a temporary visa for your stay there. If we do not find passports in your cabin, you are on your own. As soon as the ship departs, you are illegally in that particular country and must sort out things with the local officials."

(From his post in Dec 2013: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=41103977&postcount=12)

No system is fail-safe, of course. But to suggest this practice is a "myth" is, I think, going too far.

Edited by cruisemom42