A Reason To Keep Passports In Your Safe

PTMary

In the short time I have been a Cruise Critic member I have read a lot of debate on these boards regarding what to do with your passport - leave it in the safe, or take it ashore with you. I am a supporter of leaving it safely stored in my room safe unless I am required to carry it.

The Malaysia Airlines plane that disappeared just a couple of days ago is surrounded by mystery at this early stage of the search. One thing that adds to the mystery is that two passengers boarded the plane with stolen passports, one from an Italian man, the other from an Austrian man. There is serious speculation that the plane might have been the target of terrorism, especially in light of the use of stolen passports. Were these passports used to cause the crash? No one knows at this time, but some experts are admitting that this is a definite possibility.

Speaking for myself, no way would I want to be the original owners of those two passports. Their families have been contacted to inform them of the crash because it was believed their loved ones were on board. It was quickly understood that they indeed were alive and well, but if not shocking enough at first to the families, it would create confusion and stress nonetheless. Now the names of the two men are all over the news, and they are unwittingly being linked to a plane crash that happened under mysterious circumstances.

No thank you. I have no desire to be part of any investigation of any kind because my passport number is linked to it. I'll keep it as safe as possible at all times - and that means in the safe when not required to be on my person.

In the short time I have been a Cruise Critic member I have read a lot of debate on these boards regarding what to do with your passport - leave it in the safe, or take it ashore with you. I am a supporter of leaving it safely stored in my room safe unless I am required to carry it.

The Malaysia Airlines plane that disappeared just a couple of days ago is surrounded by mystery at this early stage of the search. One thing that adds to the mystery is that two passengers boarded the plane with stolen passports, one from an Italian man, the other from an Austrian man. There is serious speculation that the plane might have been the target of terrorism, especially in light of the use of stolen passports. Were these passports used to cause the crash? No one knows at this time, but some experts are admitting that this is a definite possibility.

Speaking for myself, no way would I want to be the original owners of those two passports. Their families have been contacted to inform them of the crash because it was believed their loved ones were on board. It was quickly understood that they indeed were alive and well, but if not shocking enough at first to the families, it would create confusion and stress nonetheless. Now the names of the two men are all over the news, and they are unwittingly being linked to a plane crash that happened under mysterious circumstances.

No thank you. I have no desire to be part of any investigation of any kind because my passport number is linked to it. I'll keep it as safe as possible at all times - and that means in the safe when not required to be on my person.

From what I understand the passports where stolen in Thailand from their room in a hotel. They where both in Phuket at the time , One fellow at work that goes to Phuket for 2 months every year , there they suggest that passports be locked in the hotel safe .

Here's a reason to keep it with you. On my recent cruise in December two men missed the ship at our first port stop in Cozumel. Because they left their passports in the safe, they could only return to the US to meet the ship at the end of the cruise. If they had the passports they could have hopped on a plane to the next stop.

Here's a reason to keep it with you. On my recent cruise in December two men missed the ship at our first port stop in Cozumel. Because they left their passports in the safe, they could only return to the US to meet the ship at the end of the cruise. If they had the passports they could have hopped on a plane to the next stop.

I'm surprised at this. I thought that if someone missed the ship the security team fm the ship would check the safe for the passports, since that is where we are advised to put them, and leave them with the port agent.

I don't get the connection. You are advising people to leave the passports in the safe. The 2 people's passports were taken from their hotel safe. If they had the passports on their person, the passports would not have been stolen. Sorry, I always carry my passport with me in a foreign country.

If you are going to miss the ship Princess will send an officer to your cabin to check the safe. If it is there it will be removed and left with the ship's port agent for you. I am sure other lines do this as well.

I'm surprised at this. I thought that if someone missed the ship the security team fm the ship would check the safe for the passports, since that is where we are advised to put them, and leave them with the port agent.

If guests are late returning to the ship in port, their passports are retrieved from the safe (assuming they have been stored there) and the Port Agent holds them to give to the guests when they return to where the ship once was. We should never go ashore without the contact information for the Port Agent in every port. On HAL, that information is on the daily port info sheet that is handed out. Name, telephone and addres....... Port Agent is your friend in town should you have any 'situation' for which you need help.

From what I understand the passports where stolen in Thailand from their room in a hotel. They where both in Phuket at the time , One fellow at work that goes to Phuket for 2 months every year , there they suggest that passports be locked in the hotel safe .

I've heard nothing that causes me to think poorly of the two men whose passports were stolen and apparently used to board this ill-fated Malaysia Airline flight. They reported them stolen about two years ago. They met the responsible obligation of informing authorities of their missing passports.

No reason to have any bad impression of them or their families.

I'm inclined to think people are more likely to lose their important documents while on shore or more likely to be the victim of pick pockets than they are to lose something that is stored in a safe.

I personally know a woman who lost her passport on shore.

I was in a tour group (not a cruise) in which about half the people were pick pocketed and felt nothing at all.

I know no one whose in-room safe has been robbed.

I know no one stupid enough to be left behind by the ship.

Edited by MrsPete

The problem (in the case of the missing plane) is that the stolen passports should have been discovered at the airport. They were on Interpol's list.

I agree that the ship's safe is the best place for your passport if you are not required to have it ashore.

Edited by maryann ns

Unless I am going to a beach for the day, my passport gets tucked into a money belt under my clothing. No one is going to steal it, and if something unforseen happened to me, it's right there with me. Not tucked up in a ship's (or hotel) safe from which it might take hours to retrieve it. I do this where ever I am, whether it's on a cruise excursion or touring on a land vacation.

If you are going to miss the ship Princess will send an officer to your cabin to check the safe. If it is there it will be removed and left with the ship's port agent for you. I am sure other lines do this as well.

Same with Celebrity. Any reputable cruise line would do the same thing.

Edited by boogs

I've heard nothing that causes me to think poorly of the two men whose passports were stolen and apparently used to board this ill-fated Malaysia Airline flight. They reported them stolen about two years ago. They met the responsible obligation of informing authorities of their missing passports.

No reason to have any bad impression of them or their families.

No one said anything about them being accused of anything. What the OP mentioned was the added aggravation of being questioned by authorities, your name being drug through the media, and the scare that might have been imposed on their loved ones when the local authorities first reported them as being on a missing plane. It's the intrusion in their lives that is the issue, not that they are suspected of anything.

The problem (in the case of the missing plane) is that the stolen passports should have been discovered at the airport. They were on Interpol's list.

I agree that the ship's safe is the best place for your passport if you are not required to have it ashore.

^ Yes. That.

No one said anything about them being accused of anything. What the OP mentioned was the added aggravation of being questioned by authorities, your name being drug through the media, and the scare that might have been imposed on their loved ones when the local authorities first reported them as being on a missing plane. It's the intrusion in their lives that is the issue, not that they are suspected of anything.

I just watched an interview clip of the Italian man whose passport was one of them stolen. He did not seem distressed.

It is only speculation what scare may or may not have been imposed upon his family. He well could have been in the family home when they first heard of the event. We cannot know the exact details.

I just watched an interview clip of the Italian man whose passport was one of them stolen. He did not seem distressed.

It is only speculation what scare may or may not have been imposed upon his family. He well could have been in the family home when they first heard of the event. We cannot know the exact details.

Perhaps the Italian gent is enjoying his 15 minutes of fame. :) I would not want that kind of intrusion in my life. My identity and privacy is too important to me to be so cavalier about having it dragged through the media.

Edited by SantaFeFan

^ Yes. That.

Quoted from an international news agency:

"The Italian man whose passport was allegedly used, Luigi Maraldi, contacted the Italian consulate in Phuket, Thailand, on Saturday, after receiving a call from his parents, Italian Consul Franco Cavaliere told CNN on Sunday.

Maraldi told Reuters he was inundated with phone calls, texts and social media inquiries asking if he was alive and well. He soon discovered that he was the subject of stories about the missing plane."

Yes, no big deal. Being 'inundated' with concerned family and friends who are worried that you had been killed in a plane crash is no bother at all. Bask in the limelight while you can. :rolleyes:

Edited by fortinweb

I can safely say I would rather have a stolen passport cause my friends and family to worry for 24 hours that I might be dead than the alternative -- actually being dead.

It is sad that a passport stolen that far ahead of the plane boarding was used to get a ticket and fly. Again, some of airport security is security theatre. Not all, but some.

Quoted from an international news agency:

"The Italian man whose passport was allegedly used, Luigi Maraldi, contacted the Italian consulate in Phuket, Thailand, on Saturday, after receiving a call from his parents, Italian Consul Franco Cavaliere told CNN on Sunday.

Maraldi told Reuters he was inundated with phone calls, texts and social media inquiries asking if he was alive and well. He soon discovered that he was the subject of stories about the missing plane."

Yes, no big deal. Being 'inundated' with concerned family and friends who are worried that you had been killed in a plane crash is no bother at all. Bask in the limelight while you can. :rolleyes:

Thanks for sharing.

Clearly, very interesting reading.

Happy that man is safe and his friends and family have been so informed.

This has been discussed before(the issue of what to do with your passports). Its a personal choice as to whether you take it with you or leave it on the ship(except those few countries that require you to take it on shore). The State Department and the DOD suggests you leave it in the safe unless you have an absolute need to take it with you to travel. Its more likely that you will lose it, have it stolen or have it washed in the waves than you will need it in the pretty slim chance that you will miss the ship. If you are arrested the last thing you want with you is your passport because you probably will never see it again. You don't need it if you are in the hospital in many countries where theft is sometimes a problem as well. Don't worry they will believe you are an American probably as soon as you open your mouth. Passports, particularly US stolen ones, can go for as much as $10,000 or more. Sometimes those reporting them stolen are actually sold. Its one of the reasons you want to make an immediate police report of it being stolen. The authorities will question closely those that are concerned.I have had copies accepted for duty free shopping and where an id was required.

As I said its your choice whether you have it or not should be based on your considering the risks involved in not having it on you.

Edited by smeyer418

If guests are late returning to the ship in port, their passports are retrieved from the safe (assuming they have been stored there) and the Port Agent holds them to give to the guests when they return to where the ship once was. We should never go ashore without the contact information for the Port Agent in every port. On HAL, that information is on the daily port info sheet that is handed out. Name, telephone and addres....... Port Agent is your friend in town should you have any 'situation' for which you need help.

So agree! Do not leave the ship without the contact info for the Port Agent.

LuLu

~~~

Lets not jump to any conclusions as to what this means. While the passports were stolen in Phuket, one in 2012 and one in 2013, I have not seen in several reports that they were stolen from a safe.

Thank you

It would seem VERY illogical that two passports from two different nationalities were stolen about a year apart in Thailand with the specific intent to be used for terrorism. BUT they were used to book tickets TOGETHER on a website (may have been the airline, Expedia, Travelocity, Agoda, one of many, many airline websites available to those worldwide.) The tickets were paid in Thai Baht. AND the actual passengers with the stolen passports were CHINESE according to both Stratfor and Jane's. There are a whole lot of explanations for using the stolen passports-Chinese that couldn't get passports to get out or into China, just plain old run of the mill Chinese underworld criminals, or possibly terrorists. But when you really think deep down about it, why would a couple of Chinese blow up a plane with a primarily Chinese constituency on board?

This has been big talk today on the base in Kuwait. I have a high government clearance just to do my job over here and have been hanging out with a bunch of intel type guys all day. The US Military believes there is less than a 40% chance that Islamic militants (even though Malaysia is primarily Muslim) just due to a lot of extenuating factors. Killing 3 Americans and a few other foreigners is NOT the big splash most terrorist extremists seek.

I feel so sorry for the people who just do not know what has happened to their relatives. But JMHO, this was some weird catastrophic electronic failure where the plane wasn't sending out the normal warning signals that a 777 sends out and the autopilot kicked off just like the AF flight a few years ago. The pilots either couldn't handle the emergency or just lost it when they realized what was happening. Let's hope this is what is it-not another terrorist attack on an airliner. Say your prayers!!!

Edited by greatam

Lets not jump to any conclusions as to what this means. While the passports were stolen in Phuket, one in 2012 and one in 2013, I have not seen in several reports that they were stolen from a safe.

Thank you

If would seem VERY illogical that two passports from two different nationalities were stolen about a year apart in Thailand with the specific intent to be used for terrorism. BUT they were used to book tickets TOGETHER on a website (may have been the airline, Expedia, Travelocity, Agoda, one of many, many airline websites available to those worldwide.) The tickets were paid in Thai Baht. AND the actual passengers with the stolen passports were CHINESE according to both Stratfor and Jane's. There are a whole lot of explanations for using the stolen passports-Chinese that couldn't get passports to get out or into China, just plain old run of the mill Chinese underworld criminals, or possibly terrorists. But when you really think deep down about it, why would a couple of Chinese blow up a plane with a primarily Chinese constituency on board?

This has been big talk today on the base in Kuwait. I have a high government clearance just to do my job over here and have been hanging out with a bunch of intel type guys all day. The US Military believes there is less than a 40% chance that Islamic militants (even though Malaysia is primarily Muslim) just due to a lot of extenuating factors. Killing 3 Americans and a few other foreigners is NOT the big splash most terrorist extremists seek.

I feel so sorry for the people who just do not know what has happened to their relatives. But JMHO, this was some weird catastrophic electronic failure where the plane wasn't sending out the normal warning signals that a 777 sends out and the autopilot kicked off just like the AF flight a few years ago. The pilots either couldn't handle the emergency or just lost it when they realized what was happening. Let's hope this is what is it-not another terrorist attack on an airliner. Say your prayers!!!

Speaking for myself, no way would I want to be the original owners of those two passports. Now the names of the two men are all over the news, and they are unwittingly being linked to a plane crash that happened under mysterious circumstances.

I read on USA Today that InterPol knew the passports were stolen, but the airport/airline allowed the passengers to board anyway. If that's the case, I'd bet each of their families knew they had their passports stolen, and were therefore hesitant to believe the reports initially without confirmation.

Further, I'm certain their names are suitably unlinked from the investigation, given that their passports had been reported as stolen. If I'd had my passport stolen, I wouldn't worry one bit about being named in such an investigation.