Change in # of passengers

winste

Hello

I may end up taking a cruise currently scheduled for my wife and I by myself. I found that there is a $50 fee to change names on reservation. But what about going from 2 to 1 person?

I assume the $50 fee would still apply if after 100% refund date.

I also assume that the cost of the actual cruise would not decrease.

But I think that port fees are based on # of people so I would assume I could save that.

What about if I just showed up to check in by myself?

Anybody have any insight?

Hello

I may end up taking a cruise currently scheduled for my wife and I by myself. I found that there is a $50 fee to change names on reservation. But what about going from 2 to 1 person?

But I think that port fees are based on # of people so I would assume I could save that.

What about if I just showed up to check in by myr self?

All your questions can be answered by speaking to Princess or your TA

All your questions can be answered by speaking to Princess or your TA

As can a lot of questions posted in this forum. Do you reply this way to all of them?

I read through the carriage contract and it does not address this specific situation.

But thanks for your reply. It was very helpful.

Hello

What about if I just showed up to check in by myself?

Who is charging you $50? Princess or your travel agent?

Who is charging you $50? Princess or your travel agent?

In the carriage contract it states there is a $50 fee for changes after final payment. But it is very vague. I did a CC search and found a post from 2009 indicating the $50 fee applies to name changes.

I booked direct. I was looking for some thoughts without calling Princess.

This forum has been helpful in the past so I thought I would give it a shot.

With a question this specific and an issue that is outside the norm I would just call Princess. I don't know that I would feel confident trying for an answer here.

Correct. Also if only one in the cabin, would only be charged one daily gratuity.

As Pia stated something like this should be directed to Princess. You can ask on the boards but you will get many different answers and I think you want something definite.

There are a few variables that could dictate any costs associated with dropping your dw off cabin. Ultimately best to confirm the costs for your specific cabin with Princess.

I dropped mil who can't sail for medical reasons and made cabin solo cabin for wife only. Ultimately no money changed hands....I guess technically not correct since we get the taxes back, but no fees and the way the cabin fare worked out, we just had to go to travel guard for her fare refund...but no special fees for this change.

There are a few variables that could dictate any costs associated with dropping your dw off cabin. Ultimately best to confirm the costs for your specific cabin with Princess.

I dropped mil who can't sail for medical reasons and made cabin solo cabin for wife only. Ultimately no money changed hands....I guess technically not correct since we get the taxes back, but no fees and the way the cabin fare worked out, we just had to go to travel guard for her fare refund...but no special fees for this change.

Since no money changed hands but you claimed a refund for your mil, shouldnt your wife had paid for the full stateroom then as a single in the stateroom.

Since no money changed hands but you claimed a refund for your mil, shouldnt your wife had paid for the full stateroom then as a single in the stateroom.

Well, in this case, the single was refared to the single supplement fare which was probably the same as having two people in the cabin. Travel insurance would then pay off and recoup the double occupancy fare for the person who cancelled.

Princess did not refund for the mil, an insurance company did. Princess did receive and keep the full amount for both people.

Princess did not refund for the mil, an insurance company did. Princess did receive and keep the full amount for both people.

Exactly. Due to single fare same as two dbl fares. Ultimately travel insurance pays back one fare so we only pay for three pax between the two cabins nested of four peeps.

As can a lot of questions posted in this forum. Do you reply this way to all of them?

Does this bother you? There are replies that are even funnier.

Someone asks a general question, and someone else replies: "I don't know."

I always wonder if everyone who doesn't know should reply as well.

Anyway, there is no way to know the price change of

going from two people to one.

It is unusual for there to be a discount on a single fare, and not

at all unusual for there to be a discount on an double occupancy

fare.

So, the resulting single fare could be higher than the previous

total fare. (although there would be only a single port charge)

So, the answer is -- no one can predict without know the exact

type of fare. ...so, you need to call princess or your travel agent.

OP has not stated if he had insurance. That will make a difference to the answer he is looking for. Each scenario can play out differently. If no insurance, I would recommend a "no show" on his wife's part. Does anyone know if a folio is "tagged" as a no show and given a black mark?

This happened to me and after much scrambling, I ended up paying more (solo/no insurance) but the result was worth the terrific TA I gained because of this horrible situation.

Winste, as everyone has said above, there are many variables to your question and the correct answer depends on how those variables apply in your case; your TA or Princess are best equipped to tell you the full answer.

The major variables to consider are:

-how soon is your cruise, and is there a cancellation penalty now?

-if your wife cancels, will there be any refund of a portion of her fare?

-if your wife cancels, will you be refared as a single?

-do you and your wife have insurance and if so, is the reason for canceling covered?

Winste, as everyone has said above, there are many variables to your question and the correct answer depends on how those variables apply in your case; your TA or Princess are best equipped to tell you the full answer.

The major variables to consider are:

-how soon is your cruise, and is there a cancellation penalty now?

-if your wife cancels, will there be any refund of a portion of her fare?

-if your wife cancels, will you be refared as a single?

-do you and your wife have insurance and if so, is the reason for canceling covered?

When you ask Princess or your TA these questions, start off with saying "this is just a hypothetical question". That way you can decide the best option for you without committing one way or another.

I agree with using the 'hypothetical' suggested above. Sometimes (usually when you are in large % penalty and there is no insurance coverage) the better course of action is to have the second passenger be a 'no show' rather than actually cancel.