Can you disembark in Barbados?

mattR

We are booked on a 12 night sailing on the Gem out of NYC Dec 1/14. My sister is interested in coming along with my mother, however my sister would be interested in leaving the ship early and hopefully fly back from Barbados. Would that be allowed? The port before Barbados is St Lucia if that makes a difference?

Not sure if it still applies but the Jones Act specifically addresses using a foreign flag ship for transport so debarking mid cruise you are using the ship as transportation and the last I remember a $300.00 "fee" or "tax" is imposed. That may have changed but the proper paperwork must be in place for her to disembark. Making arrangement before your cruise is a good idea... Also confirming your arrangements as soon as you can once aboard is also suggested...

Not sure if it still applies but the Jones Act specifically addresses using a foreign flag ship for transport so debarking mid cruise you are using the ship as transportation and the last I remember a $300.00 "fee" or "tax" is imposed. That may have changed but the proper paperwork must be in place for her to disembark. Making arrangement before your cruise is a good idea... Also confirming your arrangements as soon as you can once aboard is also suggested...

The Jones Act never applied to passenger travel by ship, only cargo.

The PVSA applies to passenger travel by ship BUT does not apply to this situation at all.

The only thing that would apply to this situation would be the policy of the cruise line and immigration regulations in Barbados.

As mentioned earlier...check with your cruise line.

mattR, off topic but just an FYI. Our family will also be on the 12 day Gem out of NYC in December. I just got off the phone with our TA, the price has dropped since we originally booked, only a couple of weeks ago. She is re-booking for us at the lower price. Price drop will cover the cost of our travel insurance and a few drinks on board! :D

mattR, off topic but just an FYI. Our family will also be on the 12 day Gem out of NYC in December. I just got off the phone with our TA, the price has dropped since we originally booked, only a couple of weeks ago. She is re-booking for us at the lower price. Price drop will cover the cost of our travel insurance and a few drinks on board! :D

Thanks for the heads up I checked but still the same price from when I booked. We are tempted to bring the kids as they would only be $181 each but my son is in grade 11 next year and just can't see pulling him for two weeks:(

• 3 weeks later...

We decided to bring the kids and today I got a confirmation letter from NCL that gives my son permission to disembark the ship in Bridgetown Barbados. Didn't know I was going to get this confirmation as I had asked for one but was told "it will be fine it happens all the time" from PCC and from a NCL booking supervisor I would have to get permission from the Barbados Consulate from which I got the same response:) I'm just happy to have it in writing.

We decided to bring the kids and today I got a confirmation letter from NCL that gives my son permission to disembark the ship in Bridgetown Barbados. Didn't know I was going to get this confirmation as I had asked for one but was told "it will be fine it happens all the time" from PCC and from a NCL booking supervisor I would have to get permission from the Barbados Consulate from which I got the same response:) I'm just happy to have it in writing.

Glad it worked out for you. The real reason that many lines are not allowing this recently, is that the passenger manifest created at embarkation is submitted to CBP for "pre-clearance" when you return to the same US port. When they allow someone to disembark early, this requires the manifest to be resubmitted, and results in added paperwork for the line. Plus, they must arrange for Customs at the disembarkation port (Barbados) to stamp your passport as entering the country, so that when you go to the airport to leave, there is a valid entry for entering the country.

I'm assuming that those disembarking early have passports? Don't want to start another passport flame war here, just dotting t's for the OP.

Edited by chengkp75