Parrots allowed?

gfswolf

Welcome to Cruise Critic. You'll have to forgive all the smart remarks. Sometimes people forget what it was like when they took their first cruise and had what I remember mine as being "crazy" questions.

We had two cockatiels and it was hard leaving them at home for a week at a time. I also had a hard time finding a vet who would take birds as boarders so I finally paid a friend of mine to come every day to check on my birds, feed them, change their water and paper.

I now have a kitten that replaced the birds I had to give up and it is hard leaving her when I cruise. If you search for pets you will find that all of our pets hate to see our luggage come out and I think leaving them is harder on us then on our pets.

Go and enjoy yourself and relax.

As a retired pet sitter I have taken care of parrots as well as a host of other types of animals and I think what surprises most pet owners is how very well they all do with a petsitter. Generally speaking birds do not handle stress very well and taking your parrot with you could actually have a devastating effect on your bird. Most birds, like cats, do not like change and while they may find a stranger coming in to care for them stressful they will do much better in their own environment than in a situation where not only is their owner gone, but their entire environment is different. Ask your vet for a referral and meet with the sitter several weeks before you leave, going over explicit instructions. Trust me, your bird will be better off at home with strangers caring for it than being put on a plane and then a boat where it's entire world is out of sync! PP is absolutely correct: leaving pets at home is much harder on the owner than the pet!!!

Hi,

My wife and I have never taken a cruse but we're thinking about taking one this summer. We have an Amazon parrot who is less than a year old and would be traumatized if we left him for a week. Are parrots allowed on cruises? Thanks.

I'm sorry. I read this and laughed so hard that I wet myself and had to shower before responding.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha! This is the funniest first post ever!!!!!!!!!

Hahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh durn. I wet myself again............

Hi,

My wife and I have never taken a cruse but we're thinking about taking one this summer. We have an Amazon parrot who is less than a year old and would be traumatized if we left him for a week. Are parrots allowed on cruises? Thanks.

Hahahaha! Your post gave the best laugh we have had from this board in weeks. We notice it is your first post so we will assume you are joking. But if you are serious all you have to do is put a "Service Parrot" vest on bird and put him/her on a bird leash (do they make such things). That might work :)

Hank

Actually this is not entirely correct. Guide animals are allowed, and some pets are allowed on Cunard as well as a few other non-mass market lines.

Regardless, I don't believe the OP is asking a serious question anyway.

Of course your bird is not allowed. But if you really are cruising this summer, you have 4 months to get it used to the idea of you being gone.

I haven't read the entire thread, so if this has already been addressed, I apologize. Please don't call service animals "pets." They are working dogs who perform vital functions for those with disabilities and serious medical conditions first and foremost. Being a pet is simply a byproduct of their work. Thanks.

As a retired pet sitter I have taken care of parrots as well as a host of other types of animals and I think what surprises most pet owners is how very well they all do with a petsitter. Generally speaking birds do not handle stress very well and taking your parrot with you could actually have a devastating effect on your bird. Most birds, like cats, do not like change and while they may find a stranger coming in to care for them stressful they will do much better in their own environment than in a situation where not only is their owner gone, but their entire environment is different. Ask your vet for a referral and meet with the sitter several weeks before you leave, going over explicit instructions. Trust me, your bird will be better off at home with strangers caring for it than being put on a plane and then a boat where it's entire world is out of sync! PP is absolutely correct: leaving pets at home is much harder on the owner than the pet!!!

Agreed. We have a pet sitter who has been caring for our dogs since we got them come in and stay at the house while we are gone. The dogs know and like her, they get a lot of extra attention, and they are relaxed in their own environment, not exposed to potential disease at the vet or kennel, and other than the one who always gets mopey for the first 24 hours that I'm away, they don't really seem to care that we're not there.

Many pet owners do not want to hear that someone else is more qualifier to care for their pet. "poor snuugliesmcpheehaapychecks is lost wihout his mama and poppop..isn't he sweetiebabyhoneybooboo lambchops"...

LOL -- this thread brought to mind another "coffee-spraying" funny thread, a few years ago. Can't remember who posted it (or exactly where) -- but it went something like:

"We are four Ruben-esque ladies, traveling with lots of luggage, a seeing eye-dog, and an apnea parrot. Will we all be happy sharing one inside cabin?"

Here's a tip for the OP - get a copy of the Enid Blyton book "The Ship of Adventure" which gives detailed instructions on how to get a parrot on board.

In outline, get a friend to bring said parrot to see you off, and at the crucial moment as the ship is pulling away, friend lets go of string and parrot flies to your shoulder when it's too late to put it ashore. It worked a treat in a work of fiction 60+ years ago, so how could it fail? ;)

I have parrots and took a first cruise. While it is tempting to think the question absurd and trolling, it may not be. Some of the snark was a bit harsh and given its tone, the thought the OP has not come back to say more is not really surprising.

The thought a parrot can not travel on a ship is obvious to you but compare that with luggage. My first trip I knew the airline limited luggage and some drove to the dock. I assumed the ship would have a higher luggage limit than the airline, but fully expected a limit. Would people deride me for such a question? I hope not.

Later,

M

I haven't read the entire thread, so if this has already been addressed, I apologize. Please don't call service animals "pets." They are working dogs who perform vital functions for those with disabilities and serious medical conditions first and foremost. Being a pet is simply a byproduct of their work. Thanks.

She didn't.

And so you know, not all service animals are dogs.

[quote name='Hlitner']Hahahaha! Your post gave the best laugh we have had from this board in weeks. [B]We notice it is your first post[/B][B] so we will assume you are joking.[/B] But if you are serious all you have to do is put a "Service Parrot" vest on bird and put him/her on a bird leash (do they make such things). That might work :)

Hank[/QUOTE]

....and apparently their last. Joke confirmed. Edited by leaveitallbehind

[quote name='Elaine5715']Many pet owners do not want to hear that someone else is more qualifier to care for their pet. "poor snuugliesmcpheehaapychecks is lost wihout his mama and poppop..isn't he sweetiebabyhoneybooboo lambchops"...[/quote]

bleeeeeeck......:D

[quote name='John Bull']No, a mule is pretty safe.
They don't squawk, they're too big for the oven, & they're not a delicacy such as a Norwegian Blue parrot.

Or did I mis-understand?

[B][COLOR="Red"]JB[/COLOR][/B] :)[/QUOTE]

a Norwegian Blue ?? The Norwegian Blue prefers kippin' on it's back! Remarkable bird, id'nit, squire? Lovely plumage! Edited by 4Mast

[quote name='happybos']I thought a Norwegian Blue was a type of dragon.

Sent from my iPad using Forums[/QUOTE]

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="DarkSlateBlue"]Isn't it a Norwegian Ridgeback? I'll have to go find my son's HP and look it up!![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='Conshydot']Norwegian Ridgeback is a dragon. and his name is Norbert.
[url]http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/Norwegian_Ridgeback[/url][/QUOTE]

No, it turned out that it was female & her name was changed to Norberta.

The name of the Norwegian Blue is pretty irrelevant because it's deceased. Demised, passed on, expired, ceased to be. In short, it's an ex-parrot.

None of which helps this thread because neither dragons nor parrots are permitted on cruise ships without a florescent "service animal" vest and a damned good cover story.

[B][COLOR="Red"]JB[/COLOR][/B] :)