? renting apartment in Tuscany

DomerCruisers

We are planning on a road trip through Tuscany and Umbria pre TA cruise on Silhouette on Nov. 1,2014. We have never rented an apartment before in Europe. We would like to stay in the Montepulciano area.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Any preferred booking sites?

We see many apartments/B&B on Trip Advisor. Many can be rented thru

booking dot com. Anyone with experience using this booking option?

We also see that many of the Trip Advisor apartments/B&B have their own sites. Is it safer/better to book directly on those sites?

Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated. We are novices at this whole rental thing.

We are planning on a road trip through Tuscany and Umbria pre TA cruise on Silhouette on Nov. 1,2014. We have never rented an apartment before in Europe. We would like to stay in the Montepulciano area.

We also see that many of the Trip Advisor apartments/B&B have their own sites. Is it safer/better to book directly on those sites?

Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated. We are novices at this whole rental thing.

Ive used VRBO in the states and Europe. Got a great apartment in Rome last November and just loved it. On the site it linked you to email the owner and then she contacted us and we rented it directly through her. In the Tuscany area there will be lots of farmhouses and agritourismos. You may want to check VENERE.COM also. Good Luck Larry

These are sister sites, but HomeAway has more European rentals.

We rented a spacious penthouse apt. for 6 on Via Guilia in Rome in June 2012 and a great apt. on Via delle Terme for 3 in Florence last October thru Home Away.

Loved the terraces in Rome and the washer/dryer in Florence! Rates were so reasonable compared to hotel stays and it was so nice to have space for socializing.

Do due diligence. I'd caution against bank transfers for deposits. The first rental I'd inquired about in Rome was intercepted by a scammer and, luckily, it came to light before I'd wired the $$!

We just booked a farmhouse for 3 nights in Montepulciano for June. It has incredible views and reviews on trip advisor. It was a little over $125 for superior deluxe room per night. Booked on Venere which we have used many times. Farmhouse Relais Villa Grazianella.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Forums mobile app

Edited by susanw814

We have booked apartments all over Europe with Holidaylettings, Homelidays, Home and Away, OwnersDirect etc. Have also found venere.com good for hotels in Italy, but never booked anything else with them.

I always try to build up a rapport with the owner before we go and get a landline telephone number, not rely on a mobile. If you can pay with a CC or Paypal all the better. We always pay a deposit and the balance on arrival.

Here is our tale of woe! DW and I love renting apartments in Europe and will be using 2 different week long rentals in France in a few months. But when it comes to Tuscany (we have spent more time in Italy then any other European country) we have gone through about 20 years of frustration. Like the OP we have wanted to rent an apartment in Tuscan....either in the San Gimignano area or perhaps somewhere near the S222 Wine road (that runs between Florence and Siena. I have spent many hours carefully looking through the various popular rental web sites for the ideal apartment for 2. We have seen many interesting places for a minimum of 2 couples (some are better suited to at least 6) but have never found an acceptable apartment for 2. We have looked into a few possibilities, but found the cost/benefit to not be a good deal when compared to just staying at a nice B&B, inn, or even small hotel.

By the way, there is another possibility in Italy which are called Agritouristo's. These are rural places (sometimes farms, sometimes homes and sometimes old villas) that are a good option for the adventurous traveler (you must have a car for these places). We once stayed at an Agritouristo in a place called Titignano (near Orvieto) and it was quite a treat.

Hank

Such response!

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions and recommendations. We have been (just like Hank) trying to find an apartment for just 2, and have found that many are configured for a family.

The great thing about CC is that you have offered web sites that we did not know to investigate.

We will keep on hunting for the ideal Tuscan accommodation before our November TA on the Celebrity Silhouette. Once found, we will post our find on this thread.

Again, thanks for your prompt responses.

They say they have 447 rentals in Tuscany.
Wow, that's great. They've really expanded their business since I worked with them (six or seven years ago).

We stayed at an agriturismo just outside of Montepulciano that was fantastic. These are small apartments, really just big enough for two. Ours had a fabulous big bathroom with a huge tub and separate shower. The kitchen was pretty small but functional enough. We were there in the fall and grabbed apples from the orchard to make baked apples and apple crisps ... it was just a great week.

Here's the web site: http://www.lemanzinaie.it/

OP is thinking of renting in Oct/Nov and I think at that time of year some of the agroturismos will be closed. I also agree with some of the other comments saying it is difficult looking for a place for 2 in Italy. Although at that time of year it is out of season, so should be cheaper and a larger place could be viable. I would also extend my search into Umbria.

Another thing I find in Italy is that often the standard of the accommodation is nowhere near as good as in Spain, Portugal, France etc.

By the way, there is another possibility in Italy which are called Agritouristo's. These are rural places (sometimes farms, sometimes homes and sometimes old villas) that are a good option for the adventurous traveler (you must have a car for these places). We once stayed at an Agritouristo in a place called Titignano (near Orvieto) and it was quite a treat.

Hank

I completely recommend the agriturismo route when there are two people. These are often relative bargains when you consider the excellent meals and food. You do have to be adventurous as they are usually off the beaten path. You also need to not expect Ritz Carlton like accomodations. The rooms in my experience are clean, but very Italian with sometimes smaller bathrooms, etc.

We too spent several nights at Titignano and used it as a base to explore Orivieto, Todi, and even Norcia. We were there in the middle of December and it was freezing, but still a wonderful experience.

Agris do have more limited scheduled, but even in the slowest times of the year, you can general find a few in a given area open.

Hank, take a look at the link in post #12. They have good pictures of each apartment on the web site and we loved it there.

I will say that the kitchens are pretty basic, but we made do. I don't remember if there was a TV in the apartment, if that's important to you.

The owners live in on site but you really only see them if you want to.

Hank, take a look at the link in post #12. They have good pictures of each apartment on the web site and we loved it there.

I will say that the kitchens are pretty basic, but we made do. I don't remember if there was a TV in the apartment, if that's important to you.

The owners live in on site but you really only see them if you want to.

Thanks for the "heads up" and we did take a look at your link. But that is not the part of Tuscany we would prefer for an extended stay. So please go back to your crystal ball and find us a charming apartment in the San Gimignano, Certaldo (lots of places here...but nothing that impresses) or even in the Chianti area.

And by the way, we owe you another thanks for sending us up to Caserta. We always try to give you online credit when we recommend this place.

Also, I should mention to you that we are "blowing off" Italy this spring in favor of spending a month driving around France (another favorite country). At this point we have rented a couple of apartments (in Paris and Avignon) but have left a couple of weeks after Avignon with no specific plans. So if you have any advice about driving up along the Eastern border of France...then please give us a yell :). Our current thinking is to explore that area and eventually spend a few days in Strasbourg. But have been known to change our minds (at the last minute).

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Hank, we lived for a year in Evian-les-Bains on Lake Geneva (Lac Leman in France). We love this area. If you have not been, check out Annecy and, of course, Evian-les-Bains. Then there is Burgundy where our favorite town is Beaune. In Alsace check out Colmar and area. Strasbourg is wonderful. Be sure to take the canal tour.

From Evian you can take ferries to various places on Lake Geneva, including Lausanne.

https://maps.google.ca/maps?saddr=Avignon,+France&daddr=%C3%89vian-les-Bains,+France+to:Annecy,+France+to:Beaune,+France+to:Colmar,+France+to:Strasbourg,+France&hl=en&ie=UTF8&sll=44.004261,-62.918551&sspn=9.243121,21.51123&geocode=FQWdngIdmFNJACkHnbw5h-u1EjE2ex36bptC5g%3BFdAHxAId5ZFkACnTL6n5TCOMRzHQn7rkKqsIBA%3BFe9dvAId6IZdACnJUQUc-o-LRzG6NAVigRZ4Qg%3BFW6PzQIdRNpJACn7P1jNRPPyRzFT_z5klvSMug%3BFf-h3QIdMEhwACnPwXD232WRRzFm6WxhPn5d4w%3BFexR5QIdKjl2ACnBshheSciWRzEfJOcYMUgalw&oq=stras&mra=ls&t=m&z=6

Sorry Hank, I can't help on either front. I've not rented a place in that part of Tuscany, I've been in a hotel when in the northern part of the region (other than Florence, we have rented there). France is part of the big barely-known for me ... I keep intending to go back, but find myself in Italy again and again.

We stayed at a wonderful agriturismo in Montelpuciano. I highly recommend it, and hope to return there some day.

Here is a link to their website:

http://www.villamazzi.it/azienda.en.php

Send them an email through their website and you will get a prompt reply. Truly wonderful folks who own it. They get high marks on Trip Advisor, too.

Many thanks to all of you for posting your suggestions for us to find an apartment for two in or around Montepulchiano. We want to share our rental information plus another good booking site that seems to be off the beaten path.

We are renting a 1 bedroom apartment for two weeks at the "House of the Oaks" - La Casa delle Querce near Aquaviva. We dealt directly with the owner on his website - not using any of the typical booking agencies - and were able to negotiate a very good deal and a generous cancellation package. Obviously the time of the year (October) is likely not to be a high traffic season. Trip Advisor, Booking dot com, and Venere all had good to superb reviews.

Our niece, who lived in Bologna, recommended a booking service that many expats and those in the diplomatic corps use. Parker Villas (parkervillas dot com). They have large villas for groups as well as small cottages in Europe. The agent is located near New York and they handle all the details. They personally inspect and "vet" all the properties they represent. I spoke with them on the phone, and they were very helpful.

We chose the La Casa delle Querce based on location and "views" and other intangible attributes. We hope this property will allow us to enjoy "far neinte" (pleasant relaxation in carefree idleness) in Tuscany.

We will report to CC and TA on our stay this fall.

Again, many, many thanks to all who contributed to our quest.