Canada/New England Cruise

BMP57

Looking at booking an October 2014 Canada/New England cruise. Looking at the itinerary, the cruise departs New York and states (Brooklyn or Manhattan). Can anyone tell me which airport in New York we should fly into?

Thanks

Brian

Looking at booking an October 2014 Canada/New England cruise. Looking at the itinerary, the cruise departs New York and states (Brooklyn or Manhattan). Can anyone tell me which airport in New York we should fly into?

Thanks

Brian

We have flown into 3 different ones at times, Newark/JFK/La Guardia.

All are about the same distance from Brooklyn.

We always book a car service so we are not on a cab meter. They run approx $60 for up to 4.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

LaGuardia (LGA), Kennedy (JFK) and Newark (EWR) are the main airports close by. Which you fly into depends on a number of factors. Some to consider are:

Cost

Which airline you prefer

Scheduled arrival/departure times

Whether or not you'll have pre- and/or post-cruise hotel stays

Taxi or car service costs

More info on the east coast ports forums..

FYI, Our New England cruise back in Sep 13 used the Brooklyn pier and we flew in and out of LGA without any problems.

Your cruise will start at the Red Hook pier in Brooklyn.

LGA is closest followed by JFK and then EWR. Transportation to the pier will cost less from LGA, then JFK and highest from EWR where bridge tolls will be added to your fare.

I suggest a limo service such as Dial7 from LGA or JFK. Book them in advance on the Internet and get a discount. From LGA should be less than $40 including tip.

If using a cab, I suggest you bring printed instructions (obtained on an internet map site) from the airport to Red Hook. Many cab drivers do not know where the pier is.

Edited by caribill

We did the NY-NY NE/Canada cruise in Oct 2013. Our car service trip from LGA took about 15-20 minutes. I don't remember whether it was Carmel Car Service or Arecibo Car Service. We stayed at the Marriott in Brooklyn which was a beautiful hotel and they upgraded us to a wonderful room with a balcony. The hotel was convenient to restaurants and a wine shop just around the corner. We used the hotel limo service to Red Hook Terminal the morning of the cruise. It took about 10 minutes from the hotel.

Your cruise will start at the Red Hook pier in Brooklyn.

LGA is closest followed by JFK and then EWR. Transportation to the pier will cost less from LGA, then JFK and highest from EWR where bridge tolls will be added to your fare.

I suggest a limo service such as Dial7 from LGA or JFK. Book them in advance on the Internet and get a discount. From LGA should be less than $40 including tip.

If using a cab, I suggest you bring printed instructions (obtained on an internet map site) from the airport to Red Hook. Many cab drivers do not know where the pier is.

Great advice. If all other things are equal I would choose LGA, JFK and EWR is that order. If you have better flight times or fares, go with the best flights.

Thanks

Brian

We have sailed out of Brooklyn twice, fly into LGA a day ahead of the cruise. Book Dial7 ahead of time, never had a problem :D

Hugh :D

You will probably be better off flying into JFK or LGA if the fares allow. That will keep you on the same side of the Hudson and East Rivers as the cruise terminal. Currently, the route from Newark through Staten Island is under heavy, extended construction and is a real mess. Crossing the rivers is often a nightmare in NYC.

We did this cruise Oct. 2013. Loved the cruise....was just gorgeous at that time of year.

We flew into LGA. Also, if you are looking for a hotel the LaQuinta Brooklyn is great. Does not have the skyrocket prices and is about 7-10 min. cab ride to Red Hook where the cruise leaves from.

Our daughter use to live in Park Slope (Brooklyn) and when friends/family would visit she would recommend this hotel. It is clean and staff is great. I know quite a few from our roll call stayed there and they were very pleased too. There is a Duncan Donuts across the street. Also, there is a 99Cent store. We forgot toothpaste and I needed a hat and they things like that.

Enjoy........we would love to take that cruise again!:D

I would avoid EWR right now, because of the construction noted above, with one exception. IF you are flying in early and are a light packer, you can take the airtrain to NJT to Penn Station and stay in Manhattan, then cab or shuttle out to the port the next day. Other than that, LGA is closest it all depends on fares and schedules.

BTW, mini-suites on our 10/11 trip just took a price drop of around 200-300 per.

Edited by Loonbeam