Check your credit card statements

wwcruisers

What is proper protocol on asking the steward to empty the fridge? Can I ask this when I first meet him/her? Or is it more polite to wait until the chaos of boarding has died down?

I regret we didn't do this last cruise. This way I can have my diet soda caffeine fix first thing!

I'm not sure about proper protocol but we try to get most of our desires out of the way right off the bat.

This includes emptying the fridge , extra pillows and ice. Why not express your (legitimate) preferences immediately ?

Other issues can wait but you run the risk of not seeing the steward or the assistant until some time later.

I believe that everyone appreciates being given clear polite requests in their jobs .

we were in a Royal Suite and saw a mini bar charge for $5? So we asked our cabin attendant what it was for since we did not remove anything and we just arrived. He said it was for one Heinekin beer (sp). I don't even know how to spell it because I don't drink it and my DH is diabetic and never drinks. Spoke with guest relations and they said they would remove it but it was 3 days later and along with the fact the lunch dishes were never cleared and the afternoon tea was "oh I am sorry we don't have any sandwiches left" we realized the beer issue was a sign of a much bigger problem so we fired our butler. We asked to no longer see his face at our door. The point being that sometimes that little charge can be a symptom of a much larger problem and if we did not get rid of our butler who knows what additional charges might have been on our account after we got off the ship.

Guest relations were very helpful they just need a chance to fix things.:rolleyes:

What is proper protocol on asking the steward to empty the fridge? Can I ask this when I first meet him/her? Or is it more polite to wait until the chaos of boarding has died down?

I regret we didn't do this last cruise. This way I can have my diet soda caffeine fix first thing!

What we've done lately when the cabin steward comes to our cabin to introduce them self we tell him/her that we are going to remove all items except the alcohol minis from the mini-frig and place them on the shelf above the unit as we won't be drinking any of them. We've always have been told by the cabin steward that was OK and we have a cool place for our soda and wine immediately without requiring any extra work on their part. On the last evening before we go to supper we remove any of our still left items from the mini-frig and place the ship's items back in it.

One warning there is a danger to doing this yourself. While I was emptying the mini-frig at the beginning of our last cruise, on Century, I dropped a can of soda as I was moving it to the shelf above and it hit the sharp corner of the mini-frig's outer door which punctured it resulting in the contents spraying me and that area. I cleaned it up myself with a pool towel which I rinsed out in the shower and luckily had a replacement can of Diet Coke as that is my soda drink of choice. The good about it being a diet soda is that doesn't leave a sugar residue in the carpet that tends to cause rapid re-soiling, :D

Concerning the comment about a usage or consumption form there was one in our Century cabin which was in the hard covered guest information binder on the desk. It had a list that showed what was in the mini-frig with a check off square in front of each item and instructions to indicated what had been taken or drank, then it was to be signed at the bottom and left for your cabin steward.

I am in the habit of checking my bill on the ship often as well. We had several additional charges for internet usage (on our recent NZ /Australian cruise) even though we had minutes still left on our account. They reversed the charges under what they called technical glitches. I've had this kind of thing happen many times on our cruises not just with celebrity. A little inconvience but they always took care of it.

What we've done lately when the cabin steward comes to our cabin to introduce them self we tell him/her that we are going to remove all items except the alcohol minis from the mini-frig
Why do you do this yourself ? Why don't you let the steward do it ? If you do it yourself you might hit the sharp corner of the mini-frig's outer door resulting in the contents spraying you and the area. :D

Luckily I've not had this experience yet. It would be annoying to have to wait on hold forever with Celebrity (which is what I understand to be the current experience) in order to have the charge(s) taken off.

Also never happened to me but I tried calling today to ask a question about our reservation and the recording said it would be a 47 minute wait. I didn't need the answer bad enough to wait. :rolleyes:

Put me in the "it's not worth worrying about for $5.18"!! Yes, the cruise line is potentially making "millions" of extra dollars $5.18 at a time, but who cares. It's five bucks!!!!!!!11

I believe you can always get more money, but you can never get more time! Of course, I'm the same guy who believes we should eliminate change and one dollar bills and round all purchases to the nearest five dollars!

I believe you can always get more money, but you can never get more time! Of course, I'm the same guy who believes we should eliminate change and one dollar bills and round all purchases to the nearest five dollars!

I don't mind the dollar bill but the cost of minting a penny is at 1.8 cents and nickels 9.4 cents vs. 4.6 cents for dimes. How does any of that make sense? A nickel costs twice as much to mint as a dime and is only worth half. :confused:

Edited by Big_G

I don't think there are any as the fridge is usually locked the night before. That is when the attendant takes inventory. During disembarkation process when you hear someone's name over the PA it is usually because they have a unpaid charge on their cash folio. This has to be settled before they are allowed to leave the ship.

🍻🍸

Another reason the people's names have been called during disembarkation is that the custom's people have a list of people making purchases on the ship in excess of what is allowed duty free--like a piece of jewelry. They have neglected to report to the designated place to pay the excess amount.

So be aware that you can't buy a thousand dollar watch/ring on the ship and think you can wear it off (lol).

I, too, find that there are a lot of people getting hit with mini-bar charges after leaving the ship. This is particularly curious in that Celebrity locks up their mini-bars the last night (remember to take your own things out prior to going to dinner). That being the case, they why are the charges not on the final bill?

On disembarkation day, cabin doors are left open and anyone can walk in and get something out of the mini-fridge so that could be another "hole in the bucket." They recruit any live body they can find to assist in the turn around so it would be near impossible to nail just who might have ducked in for a drink/snack. It could even be a passenger on the way off.

Anyone remember reading how much money American Airlines saved by not putting one olive in their salad? As B. Franklin said: "Pennies make dollars." $5 here, $5 there can add up to a good amount of pocket change.

Tucker in Texas

Why do you do this yourself ? Why don't you let the steward do it ? If you do it yourself you might hit the sharp corner of the mini-frig's outer door resulting in the contents spraying you and the area. :D

Like those that can't wait and must be on board the ship ASAP on embarkation day, I must have my soda and wine in our cabin's mini-frig ASAP. :D

Edited by robtulipe

we were in a Royal Suite and .......we realized the beer issue was a sign of a much bigger problem so we fired our butler.

Did anyone else get a chuckle out of this...... ah, to have such first world problems.....:cool:

Thanks for the reminder!

I found a discrepancy of $61.41 from when we departed Connie on 3/8. I contacted X and was told this was an Aqua Spa charge...the Rep needs to get further info. from the ship before this can be resolved. :( On the plus side I was on hold less than 5 minutes!

As far as the mini bars go, maybe it would be a good idea if the default is for the mini bar to be a personal refrigerator, and that passengers could elect to have the mini bar stocked when they make their reservations. That way, the stewards wouldn't have to go about emptying and refilling them for the many who want them for their own personal use.

Yes, I realize that might mean the bottom line for the cruise line would be slightly compromised, but it sure would make for less work for the stewards, and less chance for incorrect billing issues.

I wonder how many people actually make use of the almost always overpriced contents of mini bars, whether on a cruise or in a hotel? personally, I would never purchase anything from a mini bar, and I don't think I even know anyone who does.

Edited by scdreamer

I called yesterday because the amount charged on my card was not what the final statement was for a cruise that ended on Saturday.

Rep said (after waiting on hold for 20 - 25 minutes) ,final accounting wasn't in and I would have to wait a few more days for an explanation.

I've said it before, I'm glad the on-board Celebrity experience is better then the off-board one.

Celebrity rep actually called me ! :eek::D The charge was from the mini-bar (surprise surprise). I said we had the bar emptied and therefore we didn't drink anything.

She immediately reversed the charge ,with no argument which was good.

As far as the mini bars go, maybe it would be a good idea if the default is for the mini bar to be a personal refrigerator, and that passengers could elect to have the mini bar stocked when they make their reservations. That way, the stewards wouldn't have to go about emptying and refilling them for the many who want them for their own personal use.

Yes, I realize that might mean the bottom line for the cruise line would be slightly compromised, but it sure would make for less work for the stewards, and less chance for incorrect billing issues.

I wonder how many people actually make use of the almost always overpriced contents of mini bars, whether on a cruise or in a hotel? personally, I would never purchase anything from a mini bar, and I don't think I even know anyone who does.

$$$$$$ - It's always about the $$$$$$$$

I don't think they care about the extra work it entails for the stewards.

I have used the mini-bar as soda and I think beer cost no more then anywhere else on board the ship.

Since we had the drink package this time, I knew we wouldn't use it.

Edited by richstowe