Do you get sea sick?

goldgirl2

Taking my DD on her first cruise. She gets light headed/ dizzy when traveling in a car. Her stomach never gets sick. Should I bring sea sick medication?

If so, what kind?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

ABSOLUTELY...or you'll both be sorry. If you take Bonine two days before departure and then every day while on board, there are zero side effects. Don't buy dramamine unless you want to be super sleepy! Bonine is awesome. I've been on several cruises and funny thing, I got seasick on my most recent cruise while I almost never do. It does NOT feel good and can ruin a vacation. Be prepared.

How old is she? I'd if she's a child (say under 12 or 13), I'd check with her pediatrician. I get very seasick and take a Bonine ( or the generic Meclazine), the night before we board the ship and every night until I get home. I have even gotten airsick. There may be a children's, version of Bonine. I can find Bonine at Target and WalMart. Some people swear by the patch, SeaBands or even ginger ale and green apples. I've been happy with the Bonine. I take it at night so I'm not sleeping during the day.

Hope this helps!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't get car sick, but I have gotten sea sick. I always take one pill each night before I go to bed, I would not want to experience sea sickness again so it is preventive for me.

You want to get bonnine or non drowsy dramamine. There is a generic bonnine that is available at your pharmacy, just ask you won't need a prescription for it.

I have used the patch- never again and ginger did not work and it gave me a big headache. I experienced no side affects from the generic bonnine.

Have a great cruise!

Bev

Taking my DD on her first cruise. She gets light headed/ dizzy when traveling in a car. Her stomach never gets sick. Should I bring sea sick medication?

If so, what kind?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Last March we had a very rough trip out of New Jersey. Almost everyone got seasick on the second day. People were using the meclizine that you can get for free down at the infirmary. I don't know if its always free, or if it was just because it was so rough.

After the storm, it stayed pretty rough almost the whole trip. My sister in law and nieces do get carsick on long rides but they were fine except for the first day.

I have heard a lot of people swear by the bracelets or the patches. Have her try one of these options while driving and if they help.... stock up for the cruise.

My DD13 gets carsick. He started taking the meds the night before the cruise and then every night of the 9 night cruise and he never felt seasick once.

I was fine onboard but I felt a bit seasick on my first tender ride. The next tender, I made sure I was seated near the open doorway for the fresh air and I felt fine.

I get motion sock very easily, for me cars/buses are the worst, however I rarely get sick at sea. This being your first cruise I would try to see how she feels at the outset because she might be fine. I would bring something just in case, but again I'd wait & see if its necessary.

ABSOLUTELY...or you'll both be sorry. If you take Bonine two days before departure and then every day while on board, there are zero side effects. Don't buy dramamine unless you want to be super sleepy! Bonine is awesome. I've been on several cruises and funny thing, I got seasick on my most recent cruise while I almost never do. It does NOT feel good and can ruin a vacation. Be prepared.

I completely agree with this. My DD and I got seasick on the Disney cruise. After that I did research and took Bonine every night starting with 2 nights before the cruise, and the three cruises I have been on since then I have been fine, despite rocky waters on one of the cruises. DD went on the last cruise with me and she did the same thing and was fine as well.

DW suffers horribly from motion sickness, but loves to cruise.

Her trick is meclazine (Bonine, non-drowsy Dramamine, or generic), twice a day beginning a couple of days before boarding. That usually controls things and she's usually not drowsy. Oh, and that's also why we get a balcony; fresh air is wonderful.

I would, however, check the age recommendations on the package, and if she's under them, get a pediatrician's recommendation!

I'm glad you posted this. I'm a first time Cruiser as well. When I was a child/teen I would get terrible motion sickness and my Dad always made me drink ginger ale. I guess it worked.

Weird thing is it stopped after I had children until recently it started up again. Funny thing is if I'm driving it does not affect me, If I'm a passenger I have to lay back, close my eyes and hope for the best. It's so bad that I had an anxiety attack recently. Embarrassing! My husband thinks I hate his driving. Truth is he's a police officer and I do hate his driving.;)

Looks like I'll be taking Bonine with me. Wishing you a happy~healthy cruise!:)

I have significant issues with motion sickness. I can't ride ride an elevator or sit on a swing without feeling nauseated - no joke! I use Bonine when I am in a car (I get sick when other people drive) and it does work but only for a few hours. I have found that the transderm-scop (scopolamine) patch (prescription only in the US) works amazingly well for extended periods. The trick is to premedicate....with Bonine about 1 hour before you expect to be in motion, and about 4 hours with the patch. Good luck!

L

I have significant issues with motion sickness. I can't ride ride an elevator or sit on a swing without feeling nauseated - no joke! I use Bonine when I am in a car (I get sick when other people drive) and it does work but only for a few hours. I have found that the transderm-scop (scopolamine) patch (prescription only in the US) works amazingly well for extended periods. The trick is to premedicate....with Bonine about 1 hour before you expect to be in motion, and about 4 hours with the patch. Good luck!

L

How long does the patch work?

My grandmother always suffered from motion sickness but cruised multiple times a year. Her trick was ginger root. I did the same for my honeymoon cruise this past summer. I started taking it about 2 days before we left and then took one each morning with my vitamin and never had issues, even when we hit a rough storm one day. I imagine this would be much easier on her system, as it is a natural supplement, rather than a medication. We brought motion sick medicine with us, but never needed it, as the ginger root did the trick.

We do NOT get seasick nor do any of our family members or friends who have cruised with us. Normally, people really do not get seasick. :)

LuLu

~~~

Pretty sweeping statement ?

Also very wrong, people often do suffer motion sickness, it's not unusual at all.

It affected me as a child, about 5 miles was my limit in a car:eek:

Fast forward to the marine world, back in the past, working at sea, I took the original Dramamine, it worked well and after a day or two I was usually OK.

Today, I use meclizine (Bonine) if needed , works very well indeed and I bring my own on board, it's cheap and who wants to be looking for it on the ship if you're feeling bad ?

As for ginger, apples etc, maybe help a bit if it's only mild but not for me.

Be prepared but don't dwell on it.

Good luck:)

If you want something more natural with no side affects, try :

Ginger Root Capsules 550 mg. "Nature's Bounty" or any other brand

sold in Walgreen's or Walmart or any health foods store. Take one twice a day, preferably with meals, or as needed. Lots of opinions and suggestions, but everyone has their favorites that work personally for them. ( green apples, ginger snaps, ginger candy, wrist bands, patches, etc., etc.) Smooth sailing everyone !

• 2 weeks later...
How long does the patch work?

72 hours and then you replace with another. I wore a patch for three weeks and for the first time in my life (seriously) didn't experience one moment of nausea. Natural remedies, and I have tried them all, from sea sick bands (queezy beads) to apple and ginger have never worked for me. Good luck!

72 hours and then you replace with another. I wore a patch for three weeks and for the first time in my life (seriously) didn't experience one moment of nausea. Natural remedies, and I have tried them all, from sea sick bands (queezy beads) to apple and ginger have never worked for me. Good luck!

Thank you, I might have to look into the patch:)