bringing back water from ports

ping1

Hello all

We are going on a cruise from New Jersey to Quebec on the Legend of the Seas.

I know from reading these boards that you can bring onboard bottled water at embarkation.

Does anyone know if the ship will allow you to bring back unopened bottled water purchased in the various port stops? (Maine, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia etc)

Thank you

The first time I really saw how nasty some passengers can be was when someone tried to return to the ship with an open 1 liter bottle of water and was asked to throw it away. That said, we've never had a problem with sealed bottles.

The first time I really saw how nasty some passengers can be was when someone tried to return to the ship with an open 1 liter bottle of water and was asked to throw it away. That said, we've never had a problem with sealed bottles.

We've never had a problem bringing back a opened bottle of water from a port visit. Once in a while security will shake a water bottle to see that it's really just water in the bottle. Drinking alcohol, which is an ethyl alcohol/water mix, like white rum or vodka foams while water only doesn't. Our experience is most time they don't even ask you to take it out of your bag or to hand over a carried open bottle for inspection.

What cruiseline was this on? :confused:

I wouldn't be happy either if that happened to us as security there was really being lazy or not on the ball as above test is easy and quick to do and you don't upset the passenger unless the water bottle fails the shake test of course.:eek:

Edited by robtulipe

We've never had a problem bringing back a opened bottle of water from a port visit. Once in a while security will shake a water bottle to see that it's really just water in the bottle. Drinking alcohol, which is an ethyl alcohol/water mix, like white rum or vodka foams while water only doesn't. Our experience is most time they don't even ask you to take it out of your bag or to hand over a carried open bottle for inspection.

I wouldn't be happy either if that happened to us as security there was really being lazy or not on the ball as above test is easy and quick to do and you don't upset the passenger unless the water bottle fails the shake test of course.:eek:

I have had to throw away water on 2 occasions and it was only water. It was on RCI. No one shook the bottles. They said the seal has been broken and you can't take it aboard.

It was Royal and it was port security. I'm not sure why you would call them lazy because they wouldn't do the 'shake' test. It's not their job to determine content. If I were them I wouldn't waste my time shaking bottles either. There was a barrel almost full of have full water bottles. These people acted like they were being asked to throw their first born in the barrel. They gave security a hard time. If I were the guard I would have called for a security check that included a cavity search and then send them on their way with smile and a 'Have a nice day.'

Sent from my Bat Phone

These people acted like they were being asked to throw their first born in the barrel. They gave security a hard time. If I were the guard I would have called for a security check that included a cavity search and then send them on their way with smile and a 'Have a nice day.'

Sent from my Bat Phone

Well, obviously, the rules don't apply to them! :D 200 other people threw their bottles away, but, these folks were special. :D

It was Royal and it was port security. I'm not sure why you would call them lazy because they wouldn't do the 'shake' test. It's not their job to determine content. If I were them I wouldn't waste my time shaking bottles either. There was a barrel almost full of have full water bottles. These people acted like they were being asked to throw their first born in the barrel. They gave security a hard time. If I were the guard I would have called for a security check that included a cavity search and then send them on their way with smile and a 'Have a nice day.'

Sent from my Bat Phone

What port was this?

We've been on 43 cruises sailing from ports all over the world and never ran into this at a cruise port only at airports. Last month we did two cruises, one on Princess, other on Celebrity and another Celebrity one before Xmas . Security never even asked us to take water bottles nor drink cans out of our bag when getting back on at all 12 port stops we did this winter nor when embarking twice at Port Everglades and at San Diego.

Yeah cruiseline line sells you a $4 plus 15% gratuities liter bottle of water at gangway going off the ship and wants you to throw it away when getting back on so they can sell you more I guess. I don't blame people for being upset. :D

Concern your statement that it's not their job to determine content and if I were them I wouldn't waste my time shaking bottles either. The following is from our cruise contract and documents for our Serenade of the Seas cruise next month.

Security may inspect containers (water bottles, soda

bottles, mouthwash, luggage etc.) and will dispose of

containers holding alcohol.

Guess what it is security's job to determine if one's personal items including their water bottles, are allowed onboard.:D

Edited by robtulipe

Well, obviously, the rules don't apply to them! :D 200 other people threw their bottles away, but, these folks were special. :D

Where on RCI web site or in the cruise contract are these rules that state passengers aren't allowed to bring on water bottles, even opened ones, as you mentioned above?

It's not in the cruise contract nor at

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&snav=2&faqId=260&faqSubjectId=333&faqSubjectName=Onboard+Policies&faqType=faq

which includes the bold print statement in my post above.:rolleyes:

I've had a security person tell me a couple times that something wasn't allowed on board, believe or not once it was our two bottles of wine at embarkation and the second time a TV I had bought in St. Thomas. I requested to meet with their supervisor which quickly settled the matter in our favor. I don't know if these were new employees or what but they definitely didn't know what was allowed to be brought onboard.

Edited by robtulipe

What port was this?

We've been on 43 cruises sailing from ports all over the world and never ran into this at a cruise port only at airports. Last month we did two cruises, one on Princess, other on Celebrity and another Celebrity one before Xmas . Security never even asked us to take water bottles nor drink cans out of our bag when getting back on at all 12 port stops we did this winter nor when embarking twice at Port Everglades.

Yeah cruiseline line sells you a $4 plus 15% gratuities liter bottle of water at gangway going off the ship and wants you to throw it away when getting back on so they can sell you more I guess. I don't blame people for being upset. :D

Concern your statement that it's not their job to determine content and if I were them I wouldn't waste my time shaking bottles either. The following is from our cruise contract and documents for our Serenade of the Seas cruise next month.

Security may inspect containers (water bottles, soda

bottles, mouthwash, luggage etc.) and will dispose of

containers holding alcohol.

Guess what it is security's job to determine if one's personal items including their water bottles, are allowed onboard.:D

I don't remember the port but they were carrying the water bottles in their hands.

I don't remember the port but they were carrying the water bottles in their hands.

So I guess the best thing is to have it a bag like we usually do but we've not always done this.

I'm quite willing to chuck my partially empty water bottle in their bin to meet their fictional rule if they provide me with a full same size sealed water bottle in return and we all know that's not going to happen.:D

If you have sailed from Galveston during Spring Break then you've more than likely been asked to throw your water bottles away. Also you've most likely had your water you packed in your carry on or checked luggage confiscated. Very strict during Spring Break. This includes ports of calls also.

If you have sailed from Galveston during Spring Break then you've more than likely been asked to throw your water bottles away. Also you've most likely had your water you packed in your carry on or checked luggage confiscated. Very strict during Spring Break. This includes ports of calls also.

and again I must ask where in the cruise contract and on the RCI website guidelines is it written that you are not allowed to bring a personal items like your water bottles onboard?

It says they are only allowed to inspect them for alcohol.

Edited by robtulipe

and again I must ask where in the cruise contract and on the RCI website is it written that you are not allowed to bring your personal items like water bottle onboard?

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/beforeyouboard/whatToKnow/topTenFAQs/detail.do?pagename=top_10_faqs&pnav=4&snav=2&faqId=260&faqSubjectName=Top+FAQ&

Yes, Bob, that's the same RC web page I link to above which basically states security is allowed to inspect your containers for alcohol not confiscate then if they don't contain alcohol.

Yes, Bob, that's the same RC web page I link to above which basically states security is allowed to inspect your containers for alcohol not confiscate then if they don't contain alcohol.
The first sentence states that non-alcoholic beverages are not allowed to be brought on board:

Guests are not allowed to bring beer, hard liquor or non-alcoholic beverages onboard for consumption or any other use.

Royal Caribbean often words things poorly, but the section you're quoting does not state that you may bring non-alcoholic beverages back to your cabin, just that they won't be disposed of. Presumably, per the policy, they would be held and returned at the end of the cruise same as an unopened bottle of liquor.

Having said that, what is written as policy and what actually happens at/on the ship are often very different.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

The first sentence states that non-alcoholic beverages are not allowed to be brought on board:

Guests are not allowed to bring beer, hard liquor or non-alcoholic beverages onboard for consumption or any other use.

Royal Caribbean often words things poorly, but the section you're quoting does not state that you may bring non-alcoholic beverages back to your cabin, just that they won't be disposed of. Presumably, per the policy, they would be held and returned at the end of the cruise same as an unopened bottle of liquor.

Having said that, what is written as policy and what actually happens at/on the ship are often very different.

OK then so it means that the container is allowed but not the non-alcoholic content which. like you stated, we all know isn't what happens. I'll have to remember that if I am stopped from bringing on the content of a water bottle when we are getting on the ship and will ask for them to store the contents for me until the end of the cruise but I want to keep the container for use onboard. :rolleyes:

I was going to take a picture of the case of water with a luggage tag taped to it that was outside a cabin on the same deck as ours on embarkation day for our last cruise, which was on X not RCI, but it was not there when I went back with my camera.:p

So why include water and soda bottles in their statement? Your comment that Royal Caribbean often words things poorly is right on the mark.:confused:

By the way most mouthwash contains some ethyl alcohol.

Security may inspect containers (water bottles, soda bottles, mouthwash, luggage etc.) and will dispose of containers holding alcohol.

Edited by robtulipe

Safe to drink, but it can have a bad or unpleasant taste occasionally.

Actually most ships use reverse osmosis to supplement the high energy consuming distillation process for desalination of sea water. This happens if not enough waste heat is available from the engines so the ship's water likely has a high sodium content which is not good for those who have hypertension. That's the reason, along with high sodium containing food, that many swell up badly when onboard cruise ship.

We stuck to drinking bottled water which we brought onboard at embarkation and our port stops for our last two cruise and didn't have the swelling problem we've had on our cruises in the past.

Edited by robtulipe

Actually most ships use reverse osmosis to supplement the high energy consuming distillation process for desalination of sea water. This happens if not enough waste heat is available from the engines so the ship's water likely has a high sodium content which is not good for those who have hypertension. That's the reason, along with high sodium containing food, that many swell up badly when onboard cruise ship.

We stuck to drinking bottled water which we brought onboard at embarkation and our port stops for our last two cruise and didn't have the swelling problem we've had on our cruises in the past.

Curious about this, because my wife has the swelling issue on board. Are you saying that the reverse osmosis process results in higher sodium content than the distillation process?

By the way most mouthwash contains some ethyl alcohol.

Security may inspect containers (water bottles, soda bottles, mouthwash, luggage etc.) and will dispose of containers holding alcohol.

LOL! If you're drinking mouthwash for a buzz, you're probably trying to smuggle it into a homeless shelter and not a cruise ship. :D

Curious about this, because my wife has the swelling issue on board. Are you saying that the reverse osmosis process results in higher sodium content than the distillation process?

Lower extremity edema has always been a huge problem for me on our cruises. I drink a lot of water each day and always used the ship's water. On our last two cruises, I drank only bottled water and had no problems with edema. And that was the only thing I did differently.

Sherri:)

Lower extremity edema has always been a huge problem for me on our cruises. I drink a lot of water each day and always used the ship's water. On our last two cruises, I drank only bottled water and had no problems with edema. And that was the only thing I did differently.

Sherri:)

We've found the same thing, and now either buy the water package, or bring some onboard. It's helped my wife quite a bit.