has anyone gotten written permission to disembark before the end of the cruise

mattR

Called to see if my son could disembark the Gem in Barbados the NCL agent said that they would put the request in but that it would be fine it happens all the time. I asked if I could get written confirmation but he said they wouldn't know until just before the sailing. This seems contradictory to what I have read here. I would like some type of confirmation before I book him a flight. He will be 17 then and his aunt will be doing the same thing. She is on a separate booking should we let NCL know that they are together or dose that matter as he is still a minor?

Not too sure any cruise line could keep anyone on-board against their will.

If people wish to leave then surely they can, subject to the port of call allowing them to enter their country.

Don't know why there would be a fine inless departing in another us port.. If your son wants to leave the ship they can't stop him just make sure he has a passport and other travel documents visa or whatever may be needed

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

It wouldn't be the cruise line you have to worry about but the port itself. My dad had to leave mid-cruise due to a death of one of his church member's child. We were in Puerto Rico. The cruise line was great about helping him disembark, but it was the port he had the headaches with. They let him off, but they had to check his passport, questioned him, etc. So that's why they probably won't give you it in righting cause the port has the final say not the cruise line. Just my guess from my dad's experience.

Called to see if my son could disembark the Gem in Barbados the NCL agent said that they would put the request in but that it would be fine it happens all the time. I asked if I could get written confirmation but he said they wouldn't know until just before the sailing. This seems contradictory to what I have read here. I would like some type of confirmation before I book him a flight. He will be 17 then and his aunt will be doing the same thing. She is on a separate booking should we let NCL know that they are together or dose that matter as he is still a minor?

Don't know why there would be a fine inless departing in another us port.. If your son wants to leave the ship they can't stop him just make sure he has a passport and other travel documents visa or whatever may be needed

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I think you and others misread the original post. Try substituting "okay" for "fine".

We did this back in 2009. We contacted ncl special services and we had to complete a form they sent us via email. No problem at all disembarking. It may vary by port. We got off in spain.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

We did this back in 2009. We contacted ncl special services and we had to complete a form they sent us via email. No problem at all disembarking. It may vary by port. We got off in spain.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

Ok thanks will call the special services dept.

In some countries a VISA maybe a requirement.

A ticket within a specified period of time to leave the country.

Sufficient amount of cash or credit to remain in the country for a period of time.

A visitors status is just that a visitor - some countries do not want illegal immigrants sneaking in on a visitor visa.

These things while farfetched probably will not happen in the ports of call

that cruise ships tend.

But still yet who knows if the USA and country "X" are not getting along -

the waters get murky and rules is rules that must be followed.

The most common trip interruptions are due to death; injury and sickness

and almost always happen in friendly countries without complications.

The US Ambassador or Consular Aid are there to help smooth these things.

Not too sure any cruise line could keep anyone on-board against their will.

If people wish to leave then surely they can, subject to the port of call allowing them to enter their country.

Did you ever notice when you fly to another country, you have to go through passport control? The level of inspection and requirements vary by country with some requiring a specific visa.

When a cruise ship calls on MOST countries, they allow folks to go ashore with certain understandings, such as the cruise line confirming their intent to take all the people back with them. Again, it will vary by country and agreement. Notice how you do not show your passport getting into most countries via a cruise ship? And, if you do not return, I would "guess" they have to notify the country they left you there.

People that are planning to do something other than what is agreed to by the cruise line and the government changes things. It is going to vary by country. You can pretty much be sure somebody will want to know and approve you entering their country for more than a one day tourist visit.

In 2007 we got off in Liverno, Italy, instead of going back to Rome. But it was on Carnival, and the cruise started and ended in Rome, so it was the country of origin. We simply asked when we got on the ship. It was very easy. The Cabin Attendents took all our luggage down and we loaded it into a cab and went to Pisa for a cole of days. But that was Italy. So, it is done.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last year I got off the ship in Istanbul on a cruise that was sold as a round trip to Rome. (I had some work related commitments that popped up after I booked the cruse). Not a big deal since it was one of the last stops on the cruise.

I send the NCL rep an e-mail a few weeks earlier. He said he need to confirm with the ship the logistics. And a day or two later I received an e-mail saying it is not a problem but I would need to contact the customer service desk when on board.

Normally Canadian Nationals do not require Visas to enter Turkey if they are coming in and existing on the same ship. The Entry visa is required otherwise.

I had to go down to the customer service desk the day before and ask for the person in the purser office that handles all the passports. She needed to hold on to my passport overnight; when they cleared the ship she would present my passport to the authorities to apply the visa and entry stamp. She also collected the fee that would need to be payed for the visa (had to be paid in Cash).

Sounded like it happens fairly regularly and they had the process well worked out. I suspect the process is a little different from port to port.

Edited by em-sk

My SO had to leave a cruise early while we were overnighting in Quebec. There was no paperwork that we had to complete for NCL but NCL did bring Canadian immigration officers on board to talk to us about the circumstances surrounding the early departure. We also had to produce his airline boarding pass so they knew he was leaving Canada for the US the same day he disembarked.