You're sick and you've purchased the drinks package....

Eaglemad

Interesting possible scenario in regards to purchasing the new drink package:

You're 2 days into a 12 day cruise and responsibly enjoying the drinks included in your package, you've paid in advance for the whole cruise

You wake up sober on day 3 and enjoy a fantastic breakfast on your balcony

Just before lunch you become quite ill and require medical attention

The ship doctor recommends you stay in the sick bay for 1 day and remain in your cabin for another 3 days with ongoing visits to check you are ok

That's 4 days due to illness you are unable to use the package ($200)

With a report from the ships doctor, could a claim be made for a partial refund of the pre-purchased package from Princess??

Couldn't a similar scenario apply to pre-purchasing the Ultimate Kids Package (soda & more), the Thermal Suite/Enclave and/or the Sanctuary for the whole cruise?

Not sure Princess is willing/able to do partial refunds of any of its cruise-length packages.

The official policy is that there is no refunds, because there is no way right now for them to 'cut off' the package if they credit you (at least for the UDP because all they have is the sticker, they don't verify the package is active). I'm not sure if they track what is sold by person on the alcohol package, if they can see that you may be able to get a credit.

That said, for cases of noro, they have been known to be a little flexible at least for the UDP, going under the logic if you can barely handle jello, you are probably not drinking a milkshake that day.

I would write it off as an "oh well". If after a few days you feel better then you might want to drink again. How in the world can the ship keep track of those people and those days when the plan isn't used?

Cancelling an excursion is easy. It's a one time thing.

With a visit to the Ship's doctor, who says you can't go on an excursion due to illness, they will refund your excursion fee if you've missed the cut off. Wonder if they will do the same for the drinks package.

Thinking Princess would do the same as long as you cancelled it for the remainder of the cruise and didn't want to just not use it for a few days.

We've found Princess to be quite understanding when there are good reasons for things. :)

LuLu

~~~

Thinking Princess would do the same as long as you cancelled it for the remainder of the cruise and didn't want to just not use it for a few days.

~~~

Yes...good point.:)

This might be possible with the written medical report and recommendation of that from the doctor. And ask to cancel TOTALLY, not just for a few days you are under the weather.

How does Princess track it? Is it a sticker or mark on your card like the UDP or is it checked when scanned. If its a sticker, there's no easy way to 'cancel it'

We've found Princess to be quite understanding when there are good reasons for things. :)

LuLu

~~~

How does Princess track it? Is it a sticker or mark on your card like the UDP or is it checked when scanned. If its a sticker, there's no easy way to 'cancel it'

Wouldn't it be incredibly easy for them to simply take your card with the sticker and print you a new card without the sticker? You would just need to let them know when you initially got sick that you weren't going to want the package for the rest of the time so that they could take away the card with the sticker immediately.

Someone posted that your cruise card is run (and you sign a receipt) each time you use the card for the package.

The ship doctor recommends you stay in the sick bay for 1 day and remain in your cabin for another 3 days with ongoing visits to check you are ok

That's 4 days due to illness you are unable to use the package ($200)

With a report from the ships doctor, could a claim be made for a partial refund of the pre-purchased package from Princess??

If they say "no," just tell them you will leave the cabin while sick in order to use the package.

In that case, it could be done for the Alcohol package.

For the UDP, in many cases after 2 days, the servers don't even ask us anymore if they know us, so not sure even reprinting sans sticker would do it.

Of course, we are also talking much less per day for the UDP.

Yes. This is the way they handled it on the Star.

If you're sick, a Princess tour can be canceled. However, the soda card, ultimate card, coffee card and beverage package are unlimited. Even if you are sick for a day or so, you can still make use of the card for unlimited beverages before and after. It's not pro-rated by the day nor can you purchase it other than at the beginning of the cruise. Most people won't use the full value of the beverage package in the first place. I doubt Princess would pro-rate your beverage package if you're sick for a day or two. Not much different than if you're off the ship and on tour for 12 or more hours.

Edited by Pam in CA

If you're sick, a Princess tour can be canceled. However, the soda card, ultimate card, coffee card and beverage package are unlimited. Even if you are sick for a day or so, you can still make use of the card for unlimited beverages before and after. It's not pro-rated by the day nor can you purchase it other than at the beginning of the cruise. Most people won't use the full value of the beverage package in the first place. I doubt Princess would pro-rate your beverage package if you're sick for a day or two. Not much different than if you're off the ship and on tour for 12 or more hours.

Bingo. Even though the prices of the packages are based on the length of the cruise, what you are puchasing is not a daily product but one of continous benefit from the moment of purchase until you go to bed the final night.

Personal marginally related experience: I was on Queen Mary 2 and purchased a thermal suite pass. One afternoon I was personally paged to the purser's desk while in the spa regarding an issue they claimed to have left several written messages in my cabin for (not true). Once settled they of course apologized for my inconvenience--to which I responded "you can apologize by crediting me one day's portion of my spa pass." The purser of course stared at me like I was from another planet.

(And awhile back there was a loooong thread on the NCL board where the OP had devised a "formula" for calculating the value of meals and activities missed when embarkation had been delayed until late evening due to weather. It turned into a mass of contradictory arguments as to what was actually being promised in the cruise documents--and the OP revealed his true colors when he further proposed that one day's tips should have automatically been credited back to everyone even though they slept in their beds all seven nights of the cruise)

If they say "no," just tell them you will leave the cabin while sick in order to use the package.

If you are confined to your cabin for say noro, and you leave

your cabin... Won't they put you off at the next port? I think

I read that somewhere.

This would certainly impede using your liquor sticker after the

confinement.

If you are confined to your cabin for say noro, and you leave your cabin... Won't they put you off at the next port? I think I read that somewhere.

This would certainly impede using your liquor sticker after the confinement.

They certainly have that option. At the very least, it would be irresponsible. :( Edited by Pam in CA