Power Strips Confisgated - Veendam, San Diego March 9

lindberg

What about Princess, do they have the same restrictions?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Actually I don't have firsthand knowledge of this, but did a search & found several posts on Cruise Critic that both Princess & RCCL have confiscated surge protectors several months ago:

Princess confiscated two posters surge protectors .. See posts No. 11 & 17:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...rge+protectors

Betty

Oh. So people would pack up everything that needs charging (those 2 phones, 2 cameras, underwater video, e-readers, I-pads, I-pods, etc.) and bring them all up to the pool to charge?

I thought chrispb was talking about charging things in the cabin. Not worth the trouble to pack everything up and bring it elsewhere when with an approved power strip, and some planning, it can all be done in the cabin.

I could be wrong, but I think what they are saying is you take the solar charger with you outside and let IT charge and then charge your stuff that night in your cabin.

Sun-bed? :confused:

Please explain what you mean by "sun-bed". I'm totally not following you here. Thanks.

I heard that expression once too & was just as confused about what it meant so looked it up... It is chiefly a British expression ..

Acccording to the Random house & the World dictionary.. It's a lounge chair used as a tanning bed & sunbathing ..

Betty

Edited by serendipity1499

Not to mention the size of the solar charger you'd need to charge all that stuff. (Trust me. I have experience with solar chargers. They're okay for a phone, but when you start getting into all the devices you listed, it would be a big, honking panel array. It wouldn't matter if you didn't want to lounge by the pool. The solar system would take up a good part of your chair. ;))

I just listed out all the things I think someone posted as their things needing charging! I am blown away at the very idea.

But it does bring a whole new visual to the concept of "chair hog". Can you see all those loungers around the pool filled with solar chargers, and the things charging, taking up space??? Not a human to be seen. ;)

I could be wrong, but I think what they are saying is you take the solar charger with you outside and let IT charge and then charge your stuff that night in your cabin.

Yes, it's a term for a sun-lounger. So they just take it out with them while sunbathing.:)

Edited by Marco's Tia

Oh. So people would pack up everything that needs charging (those 2 phones, 2 cameras, underwater video, e-readers, I-pads, I-pods, etc.) and bring them all up to the pool to charge?

I thought chrispb was talking about charging things in the cabin. Not worth the trouble to pack everything up and bring it elsewhere when with an approved power strip, and some planning, it can all be done in the cabin.

Yes, ok - lounge chair, whatever. The idea is that you charge the items you'd take with you anyway eg camera, phone.

Actually, solar chargers are tiny - not much bigger than your phone.

Good luck with your power strips:D

Edited by chrispb
omission

Yes, ok - lounge chair, whatever. The idea is that you charge the items you'd take with you anyway eg camera, phone.

Actually, solar chargers are tiny - not much bigger than your phone.

If by tiny, you mean roughly 12" x 14" and weighing just under 2 pounds, then I guess you could call them tiny...

This is a good charger and it handles 1 tablet and 1 standard size smartphone. At only $240, why not buy several? After all, your travel companion might have some gadgets, too.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008S2S0JU

I'm not trying to belittle the dinky little chargers, but this is the kind of thing you would really need for reliable, reasonably quick charging under a variety of sunlight conditions. It explains the popularity of the $10 power strip. ;)

I was thinking more of the Powermonkey Explorer which weights around 82 g.

To be honest, I couldn't care less - we manage very nicely without powerstrips.

Just thought someone else may find the info useful - obviously not!!

I was thinking more of the Powermonkey Explorer which weights around 82 g.

To be honest, I couldn't care less - we manage very nicely without powerstrips.

Just thought someone else may find the info useful - obviously not!!

That's definitely a smaller charger, but the output is too low for a tablet or even a large screen smartphone.

Me? I don't need a power strip for anything. All I plug in is my toothbrush (110 outlet) and my CPAP (220 outlet). That's plenty.

But if I did need a power strip, you can be sure it would meet with HAL's approval, or I would not use it on board.

I can have fun without electrical power...but i can have a lot more fun with power. We will have 2 iphones, 2 ipads, a laptop, gps unit, 2 flashlights, 2 cameras, camera flash, stabilized binoculars, batter charger for stuff that needs batteries, electric toothbrush, electric razor, blue tooth earphones, travel speakers...... None of this is work related as we are retired. These all provide fun or utility for us.

I dont need to be a luddite to enjoy a cruise. So extension cords or nonsurge bars Will be packed!

You realize everything does not need to be on charge all the time and that everything does not go dead at the same time?

How do you simultaneity use 2 iphones, 2 ipads, a laptop, gps unit, 2 flashlights, 2 cameras, camera flash, stabilized binoculars, electric toothbrush, electric razor, blue tooth earphones, travel speakers...... and drain them all at the same time every day while on a cruise?

You are dragging around a lot of redundant equipment most of your listed electronics can do multiple functions. For instance your iphones and ipads can be used as a GPS and cameras. You can email from iphones, ipads and laptop and phone calls can be made from them as well as surf the net.

The same thing goes for the poor outlet deprived child, how can she not work off her laptop for a few hours and then plug it in and charge it while the other appliance is used on it's battery?

These are mobile devices you don't need to walk the ship with them plugged in at the end of a long extension cord.

My, how everdid we manage two cell phones, an iPad, a laptop and three camera batteries for 75 days with only one outlet by the desk??

VERY Easily!!! NEVER had a problem.

Laptop was plugged in as needed while we were on shore, phones at night (when charging needed, not as frequently needed as at home), and camera batteries when ever needed - day or night. Even if everything needed charging each day, still no problem - all could be done in 8 - 10 hours. In fact, I probably averaged charging 2-4 waking hours each day and one item overnight. (Not all was needed at night but I did not wake to plug/unplug.) For charging I did use a single outlet surge protector interface.

You realize everything does not need to be on charge all the time and that everything does not go dead at the same time?

How do you simultaneity use 2 iphones, 2 ipads, a laptop, gps unit, 2 flashlights, 2 cameras, camera flash, stabilized binoculars, electric toothbrush, electric razor, blue tooth earphones, travel speakers...... and drain them all at the same time every day while on a cruise?

You are dragging around a lot of redundant equipment most of your listed electronics can do multiple functions. For instance your iphones and ipads can be used as a GPS and cameras. You can email from iphones, ipads and laptop and phone calls can be made from them as well as surf the net.

The same thing goes for the poor outlet deprived child, how can she not work off her laptop for a few hours and then plug it in and charge it while the other appliance is used on it's battery?

These are mobile devices you don't need to walk the ship with them plugged in at the end of a long extension cord.

You might want to go back and re-read parts of this thread. She was not a child. That was just the assumption made by some people.

I just listed out all the things I think someone posted as their things needing charging! I am blown away at the very idea.

But it does bring a whole new visual to the concept of "chair hog". Can you see all those loungers around the pool filled with solar chargers, and the things charging, taking up space??? Not a human to be seen. ;)

Good one - This deserves a like button.:D

I've never taken power strip, I just asked on board for one at the front desk and have got one on each and every cruise with HAL ( and Princess).

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Forums mobile app

I've heard that a charge in the amount of $25 will be applied to the onboard account for anyone who 'borrows' a HAL power strip/bar, & then it will be credited to the same account upon being returned to the Front Desk/Office at the completion of the cruise. Did this procedure/protocol apply in your experience? :confused:

I've heard that a charge in the amount of $25 will be applied to the onboard account for anyone who 'borrows' a HAL power strip/bar, & then it will be credited to the same account upon being returned to the Front Desk/Office at the completion of the cruise. Did this procedure/protocol apply in your experience? :confused:

No but if we didn't leave it or return it, I am sure we would hate been charged. If it did I didn't notice. I will be on the Volendam in a couple of weeks I'll let you know.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Forums mobile app

Edited by falcon10156

Well I'm a bit surprised by this issue. I always have two small power chargers for our gsm phones, a charger for the batteries of my photo and video cameras (same brand!) and a charger for my small laptop I use for travelling.

No where I had difficulties with it, neither for the planes neither with HAL or any other shipping line!

It is correct that on Hal, you have 2 x 115 V and 2 x 220 V outlets at your disposal. This is quite easy.

It is correct that on Hal, you have 2 x 115 V and 2 x 220 V outlets at your disposal.
Not quite. On the six newest ships (Vista and Signature classes) you have 2 dual 115/220 outlets over the desk and one switchable in the bathroom, but on the older nine ships there is just one 115/220 combo over the desk.

You might want to go back and re-read parts of this thread. She was not a child. That was just the assumption made by some people.

If she could not figure out how to work with her laptop on it's battery and juggle her charging needs she is a child. Yes it may have been an inconvenience but for someone of her age, education and back ground she is not much of a problem solver.

Even a poor battery condition laptop will last 2hr on a charge. Why not sit on the balcony work on your report and then take a break while you put it on charge or unplug whatever has been charging and continue to work off the outlet while your computer recharges in an hour and then repeat.

We use a MacAir 11' when we travel and we can work on that or watch movies while in transit for about 4 hours and it takes about 30 minutes to charge. We use it to make phone calls using the Gmail G phone function when we travel.

Our new camera can take about 800 8mg pictures before charging and about 200 with flash and GPS on.

Just bought a new phone Samsung Note II for travel it has GPS and wifi so I can access email and call with free wifi or buy a local phone chip while traveling. It's battery can handle 16 hour of continuous phone use. I will be buying a 2nd battery so we can watch movies on it as well and listen to music I have added a 64 gig storage chip. It has a reasonable 8 mg camera on it as well so my DW can use it as the screen is big enough for her to see without glasses.

A bit of planning is required.

Edited by baldercash

If she could not figure out how to work with her laptop on it's battery and juggle her charging needs she is a child. Yes it may have been an inconvenience but for someone of her age, education and back ground she is not much of a problem solver.

Even a poor battery condition laptop will last 2hr on a charge. Why not sit on the balcony work on your report and then take a break while you put it on charge or unplug whatever has been charging and continue to work off the outlet while your computer recharges in an hour and then repeat.

We use a MacAir 11' when we travel and we can work on that or watch movies while in transit for about 4 hours and it takes about 30 minutes to charge. We use it to make phone calls using the Gmail G phone function when we travel.

Our new camera can take about 800 8mg pictures before charging and about 200 with flash and GPS on.

Just bought a new phone Samsung Note II for travel it has GPS and wifi so I can access email and call with free wifi or buy a local phone chip while traveling. It's battery can handle 16 hour of continuous phone use. I will be buying a 2nd battery so we can watch movies on it as well and listen to music I have added a 64 gig storage chip. It has a reasonable 8 mg camera on it as well so my DW can use it as the screen is big enough for her to see without glasses.

Well, how nice that you are so perfect. Shame about the first sentence, though.

The bolded red part is just not true. Depending on the age of the laptop and how it has been used, the battery may not last over a couple of minutes. If the laptop has been typically used while plugged in, the battery will deteriorate and over time not hold a charge.

Well' date=' how nice that you are so perfect. Shame about the first sentence, though.[/quote']

Originally Posted by baldercash

"If she could not figure out how to work with her laptop on it's battery and juggle her charging needs she is a child. Yes it may have been an inconvenience but for someone of her age, education and back ground she is not much of a problem solver."

Yes I agree that it is a real shame other pejoratives could be used to describe her other then child.

It is not about being perfect it is about trying to improve ones travel / life experience.

If you want to drag a VCR and tapes with you to watch movies in your cabin or bring multiple devices that duplicate functions and then struggle with extension cords, power bars and complain about lack of outlets it is your choice.

Just stating there all alternatives and it is only a problem if one makes it one.