Options when needing 2 bedrooms? (2+1 family)

oladunk

Not exactly a first time cruiser, but first time I've been in this situation.

We're travelling 3 people together (wife, me and my teenange son from previous marrriage). This mix together makes us want to have 2 bedrooms since my new wife don't feel so comfortable sharing bedroom (and bathroom even if it's less of a problem) with my teenaged son.

So putting us all 3 in one cabin is not really an option.

How are these things normally solved?

- I assume the normal solution is to book 2 staterooms. In case how will that in general affect the price? Do we more or less have to pay as if we were travelling 4 people?

- Are staterooms with 2 bedrooms available apart from super luxury ones? (I guess it depends on the ship). How will that normally compare to price for 2 staterooms.

- Special pricing for "family with teenage child"-solution?

- Different pricing policies for such between NCL and RCCL?

I guess I can always search around and test-book different ships, but I would like to first get general tips on solutions to narrow it down.

The most relevant ships to be chosen for our cruise (Mediterranean summer 2014) seems to be RCCL Liberty of the Seas, RCCL Serenade of the Seas, NCL Epic, RCCL Splendour Of The Seas, NCL Spirit.

Not on all , but some NCL ships have single cabins. Just about all other lines will charge the rate for 2 people in a cabin (usually less port taxes and fees for the 2nd person) when it is a single occupancy. A few lines I think, charge 175% of the per person rate, but I don't think either NCL or RCI is one of them. I'd work with a a TA. You'd have to do the comparisons, but it might be less expensive to get a two bedroom suite for 3 people rather than two separate cabins. Like I said, work through a TA and let them come up with the best option for you.

Not exactly a first time cruiser, but first time I've been in this situation.

We're travelling 3 people together (wife, me and my teenange son from previous marrriage). This mix together makes us want to have 2 bedrooms since my new wife don't feel so comfortable sharing bedroom (and bathroom even if it's less of a problem) with my teenaged son.

So putting us all 3 in one cabin is not really an option.

How are these things normally solved?

- I assume the normal solution is to book 2 staterooms. In case how will that in general affect the price? Do we more or less have to pay as if we were travelling 4 people? cabins are sold as doubles. if you put your son in a cabin by himself you will effectively be paying for him twice.

- Are staterooms with 2 bedrooms available apart from super luxury ones? (I guess it depends on the ship). How will that normally compare to price for 2 staterooms. 2 BR cabins have a minimum occupancy.. typically 5 or more. they go FAST so the possibility of them being available after final payment( and thus released for anyone to book) is remote.

- Special pricing for "family with teenage child"-solution? why should they? lots of families sail with kids in the same cabin and make it work. pax 1&2 pay full price, period. subsequent pax may or may not get a deal. sometimes the cost is very low, ( a few lines are actually running a 3/4 sail free promo currently) and sometimes it is not.

- Different pricing policies for such between NCL and RCCL? ask the lines directly.

I guess I can always search around and test-book different ships, but I would like to first get general tips on solutions to narrow it down.

The most relevant ships to be chosen for our cruise (Mediterranean summer 2014) seems to be RCCL Liberty of the Seas, RCCL Serenade of the Seas, NCL Epic, RCCL Splendour Of The Seas, NCL Spirit.

Norwegian has a few limited cabins on some ships that are singles. they too go very fast.

in most cases 2 cabins is actually cheaper than 2 BR suit anyway, and you could always get a balcony or suite for yourselves and an inside across the hall for you child.

... I assume the normal solution is to book 2 staterooms. In case how will that in general affect the price? Do we more or less have to pay as if we were traveling 4 people?..

It's not uncommon for families with teens or adult children to book a nearby inside cabin for their issue. Young people will usually be too busy to spend much time there other than to sleep, shower, or to change clothes. The relatively low cost of an inside would help cushion the single supplement impact. Your son would be considered a "solo" for fare purposes since he would be the only one occupying it.