Is it best to use a TA when booking a River Cruise

travelqueen555

Hi, I tried to do a search on these boards and was not able to find a thread regarding this topic. Does anyone have an opinion of booking yourself or using a TA to book.

We are just beginning to plan for a river cruise in the fall of 2015. While on line searching, I posted "get a quote" for an AMA Rhine River cruise. Shortly after that, I was contacted by a Travel Agent saying they were referred by AMA, as with AMA you can not book direct. Since this will be our first river cruise this is all new to me.

We are also considering Viking, as well as checking Itineraries for some of the other companies.

I do have a local TA I have used in the past, and used to use to book the big ship cruises, ie. . Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, Carnival, but found I liked booking myself better, as I could communicate with the cruise line on certain issues myself. I really have no issue using the TA, she always did a great job for me, so would not hesitate to use her again.

So again, my question is: What is your experience with booking a river cruise? Do they all require using a TA or just AMA?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Edited by travelqueen555

I use a TA that discounts river cruises approx. 15%. She gives great service and I've used her for big ship cruises as well. 15% is a lot of money. Often they have specials, too, on airfare etc.

I also use an agent who discounts river cruises.

I actually think there is a benefit to using a TA (besides saving money). If you are debating between 2 different lines, they can provide insight into which line may be better for you (cruise lines are just going to talk about their line, won't give you pros and cons of different companies). They are also an advocate for you if something doesn't go right. If you think about it, cruise employees are only protecting the company they work for, agents work for you and will advocate for you. You are just one person, my agent represents quite a bit of money with many cruise lines. They are more likely to try to keep her happy as losing her business is going to be much more problematic to them then losing one person's business. She also has contacts of higher up people to resolve issues. Not something one person calling into a cruise line has.

I only see win win when using an agent for booking cruises.

I booked directly with AMAWaterways and didn't have any problems. I used my TA for our flights and hotel for a 3 day post-cruise visit in Budapest and she got us great rates for flights to Prague and then, home from Budapest; and 3 nights @ Intercontinental in Budapest.

When booking with Vantage ( or GCT) you book directly. I find dealing with a "real" person over the phone is better than booking online. Vantage has a dedicated line for repeat customers.

The dichotomy you paint doesn't exist. My TA is a "real" person who I deal with over the phone and via email. She also gives me discounts and OBC, and she has been able to go to bat for me with the cruise lines to get better results than I probably would have gotten on my own. I haven't seen any downside.

The dichotomy you paint doesn't exist. My TA is a "real" person who I deal with over the phone and via email. She also gives me discounts and OBC, and she has been able to go to bat for me with the cruise lines to get better results than I probably would have gotten on my own. I haven't seen any downside.

Glad you are happy with your TA. We happen to be very satisfied with the service we receive as Vantage President's Club members and extremely happy with the cruises/ land tours/ vacations we have taken with this travel company.

Do use our TA for ocean cruises.

I still can't imagine why you would book directly when you can save so much with a TA. Mine is always available via phone, if she is not someone at her agency is.I'm not rich, I need to save money and get the best possible deal, and it is not with the cruise line directly.

I still can't imagine why you would book directly when you can save so much with a TA. Mine is always available via phone, if she is not someone at her agency is.I'm not rich, I need to save money and get the best possible deal, and it is not with the cruise line directly.

SOME companies only book directly and are NOT available thru a TA...

Do your research to find the best options for what you want in your Rivercruise ( dates, itinerary, inclusives, etc) and then decide which travel company you wish for your trip. We have never had a problem dealing directly with a company who doesn't use TA. We save money by carefully researching our options. Would certainly use our TA...IF the Rivercruise company we chose was one she deals with....

OP, yes, you can book directly with AMA. Sometimes the internet can be very tricky about leading you to a business other than the one intended.

The fact that the TA who contacted you gave you misinformation is concerning. Booking through a TA can have many advantages which other posters have mentioned. The "discount" they can provide is often very attractive. This discount usually comes directly from their commission or in the form of a group discount from the actual river cruise company. It pays to shop around and see what various agents are willing to give. That being said, I would never book with someone just for that reason, a good TA is the most important consideration. The money you save can all go down the drain if your TA us not on the ball. FWIW, beware of "2 for 1" specials offered by some popular lines. These are not "special" at all, just their usual pricing as clever advertising.

I was looking into a Fall 2015 Russian River Cruise.

I have not used a TA in the past. When I indicated I wanted more information on the AMA website and answered that I wasn't working with an agent I was contacted by someone claiming to be the "exclusive agent" for AMA.

I was put off by the aggressive sales pitch (offers for ship board credits that expired in 24 hours) and the automatic responses to my questions.

In the end I used an agency referred to me by a poster here. The agency offers a rebate which reduces the cost below the web site.

I also learned that the "exclusive" agent had held a stateroom without my permission which caused some difficulty when I did try to book.

Hi, I tried to do a search on these boards and was not able to find a thread regarding this topic. Does anyone have an opinion of booking yourself or using a TA to book.

We are just beginning to plan for a river cruise in the fall of 2015. While on line searching, I posted "get a quote" for an AMA Rhine River cruise. Shortly after that, I was contacted by a Travel Agent saying they were referred by AMA, as with AMA you can not book direct. Since this will be our first river cruise this is all new to me.

We are also considering Viking, as well as checking Itineraries for some of the other companies.

I do have a local TA I have used in the past, and used to use to book the big ship cruises, ie. . Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, Carnival, but found I liked booking myself better, as I could communicate with the cruise line on certain issues myself. I really have no issue using the TA, she always did a great job for me, so would not hesitate to use her again.

So again, my question is: What is your experience with booking a river cruise? Do they all require using a TA or just AMA?

Thanks in advance for any help.

I was looking into a Fall 2015 Russian River Cruise.

I have not used a TA in the past. When I indicated I wanted more information on the AMA website and answered that I wasn't working with an agent I was contacted by someone claiming to be the "exclusive agent" for AMA.

I was put off by the aggressive sales pitch (offers for ship board credits that expired in 24 hours) and the automatic responses to my questions.

In the end I used an agency referred to me by a poster here. The agency offers a rebate which reduces the cost below the web site.

I also learned that the "exclusive" agent had held a stateroom without my permission which caused some difficulty when I did try to book.

I'm not sure how either of you got to the AMA Waterways website but when I just did a search on the web, the first three displayed were not the "official" AMA Waterways website, but rather travel agencies whose domain addresses all began with "amawaterways.... "

This is their official website.

http://www.amawaterways.com

This has begun a very common problem with web searches of all kinds, the top hits are usually not official websites.

As a travel industry professional who has worked with AMA as well as having experience booking independently, I am baffled by this "exclusive agent" thing.

Sippican

That was the website I used. I clicked to request a brochure and was contacted by the agent.

I called AMA and found the person on the phone had very little knowledge of the river cruise and was less than helpful, that is when I sought out at TA

I'm not sure how either of you got to the AMA Waterways website but when I just did a search on the web, the first three displayed were not the "official" AMA Waterways website, but rather travel agencies whose domain addresses all began with "amawaterways.... "

This is their official website.

http://www.amawaterways.com

This has begun a very common problem with web searches of all kinds, the top hits are usually not official websites.

As a travel industry professional who has worked with AMA as well as having experience booking independently, I am baffled by this "exclusive agent" thing.

See. . now I am so glad I posted something here. I did not want to mention it in my first post, but. . I was very put off by the TA that contacted me. When asking her a few questions she was very belittling, and I did not feel like we connected at all, so I had already decided I would not use her. But it is concerning to me also, that I honestly felt that I was on AMA's true website, and clicked on the button "get a quote". Again, when this TA contacted me she said she was referred by AMA because you are only able to book through AMA by using a TA. (now I am reading this is false) When I told her I was considering other cruise companies and could she help me if I chose for instance Viking, her response was "no" because she was referred by AMA. So I guess I am still a little confused how the contact from this travel agency came about. Regardless, I will not be using that TA.

Once again, so glad I got feedback from all of you here on CC.

Edited by travelqueen555

TravelQueen,

I would be willing to bet we had the same person! It is my understanding that TA's cannot be named specifically or I would have written about my experience.

I don't know how this all works but I am very happy I went with another agent.

Again, I used the official website and the agent found me.

TravelQueen,

I would be willing to bet we had the same person! It is my understanding that TA's cannot be named specifically or I would have written about my experience.

I don't know how this all works but I am very happy I went with another agent.

Again, I used the official website and the agent found me.

It does sound like the same circumstance. I will now contact my local TA and see if she can help me. I am really leaning toward the AMA cruise, so I am glad to have resolved this here on CC. Honestly I was so put off, I was actually thinking maybe I should not consider AMA. After all the information posted here, it is back on my list of definite possibilities. Thank you

Edited by travelqueen555

Host Jassbeau,

I see in your signature, that you did the AMA Rhine cruise in August 2013. Do you have a trip report or blog anywhere that I could read. This would be the same time of year we plan on going. Thanks in advance for any help.

I have not used a TA is at least 10 years. I take 4-5 international trips a years including at least one river cruise. Many people prefer using TAs for security and one stop shopping. I do not like give someone money for things I can do myself with little effort. Some of you say you save money with a travel agent. Maybe you do but I find it much cheaper to deal direct with the suppliers.

Edited by rogerdawhip

I have not used a TA is at least 10 years. I take 4-5 international trips a years including at least one river cruise. Many people prefer using TAs for security and one stop shopping. I do not like give someone money for things I can do myself with little effort. Some of you say you save money with a travel agent. Maybe you do but I find it much cheaper to deal direct with the suppliers.

Thanks for you input!!! That is the way I usually feel about traveling. I have found it in my best interest to do all the research and booking myself. But in this instance, I feel a little out of my league, however. . . I am still deciding. There are soooo many different river cruise companies it seems difficult to know which would best suit us. As I mentioned earlier, I am "just" beginning the research process. . . so still have a lot of reading to do. All of this input has been very helpful.

Would love to continue to hear other's opinions.

I also use an agent who discounts river cruises.

I actually think there is a benefit to using a TA (besides saving money). If you are debating between 2 different lines, they can provide insight into which line may be better for you (cruise lines are just going to talk about their line, won't give you pros and cons of different companies). They are also an advocate for you if something doesn't go right. If you think about it, cruise employees are only protecting the company they work for, agents work for you and will advocate for you. You are just one person, my agent represents quite a bit of money with many cruise lines. They are more likely to try to keep her happy as losing her business is going to be much more problematic to them then losing one person's business. She also has contacts of higher up people to resolve issues. Not something one person calling into a cruise line has.

I only see win win when using an agent for booking cruises.

I agree with every word of Coral's observations about using a TA. IMHO it is foolish to not use a TA. Who does not want to save money? We always do our own air and our own hotels but for booking the cruises, we welcome the discount and like having an advocate!

Host Jazzbeau,

I see in your signature, that you did the AMA Rhine cruise in August 2013. Do you have a trip report or blog anywhere that I could read. This would be the same time of year we plan on going. Thanks in advance for any help.

Hope this helps!

Review:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1916435

Slideshow:

https://cmd.shutterfly.com/commands/pictures/slideshow?site=jazzbeauxrhinecruise&page=jazzbeauxrhinecruise/pictures&album=8&albumPath=