Western Mediterranean - no longer popular?

Our first time in Europe is coming up and to justify the airfare, we booked 2 cruises - a Baltic followed by Western Med as a B2B. Well the Baltic roll is really swinging along and all excursions were filled very quickly....plus we chat and share. The W. Med roll is sad - 1 US couple, 2 Australian and the bulk of the roll call are Brits. I feel as though I'm talking to myself when I post :o

The only people on the 5 private tours I organised are non-Brits. I worry about filling them, though luckily I only need 1-2 couples more for these.

Not sure if it's the cost of the tours (quite average for Europe) or whether the W. Med is a regular holiday venue hence many 'do it themselves'.

Has anyone experienced a similar 'sad' roll thread?

Edited by Kinkacruiser

Yes, I've experienced similar "sad" roll calls.

From my experience, the British don't use cruise critic like Americans do. In addition, many regularly holiday in Europe, inc Western Med, so would be comfortable touring independently on their own.

Sounds like a great B2B.

I loved our cruise in the Baltics. However, I wonder if the Baltics will remain the flavour of the month, if Russia escalates its excision of Crimea from Ukraine.

Yes, I've experienced similar "sad" roll calls.

From my experience, the British don't use cruise critic like Americans do. In addition, many regularly holiday in Europe, inc Western Med, so would be comfortable touring independently on their own.

Sounds like a great B2B.

I loved our cruise in the Baltics. However, I wonder if the Baltics will remain the flavour of the month, if Russia escalates its excision of Crimea from Ukraine.

Good point re Baltic and the Crimea situation, Marion. We're keeping fingers crossed.

Edited by Kinkacruiser

I've had quiet roll calls, including over here.

I think there’s a bit of chance involved, some cruises have more CC participants than others, and some have more active CC participants than others which plays a factor. I’ve seen a lot of volatility between different cruises in the same region and on the same ship.

Are the med roll calls before/after yours equally quiet?

I've had quiet roll calls, including over here.

I think there’s a bit of chance involved, some cruises have more CC participants than others, and some have more active CC participants than others which plays a factor. I’ve seen a lot of volatility between different cruises in the same region and on the same ship.

Are the med roll calls before/after yours equally quiet?

Yes. The livelier ones have US - Canadian - Aus demographics. Say no more....

Yes. The livelier ones have US - Canadian - Aus demographics. Say no more....

Hi Anna,

Just completed a Western Med cruise with NCL. Absolutely fantastic destinations. Can't believe your roll call is not popular as ours was very active. Great ports, just very tiring!:D

Hi Anna,

Just completed a Western Med cruise with NCL. Absolutely fantastic destinations. Can't believe your roll call is not popular as ours was very active. Great ports, just very tiring!:D

That's nice to hear. Maybe that's the case with different cruiselines or time of the year?

As others have said, the roll calls vary according to the passenger mix. On our last cruise RCI Voyager, we had a very active roll-call, mainly Aussies and Kiwis and had no problem meeting the M&M numbers. Tours & activities were arranged, and some have kept in touch since.

We are currently booked on B2B2B Alaska 7N, Hawaii 11N, repo to Sydney 16N on RCI Rhapsody.

The roll call for Alaska is moderate, for Hawaii is very active (mostly Americans) & the M&M numbers were reached very early & the repo cruise (Sept 16 from Honolulu) is almost dead (come join us :)).

Not everyone (very few in fact) that cruises is on cc and not all of those that are, participate in roll calls & M&Ms.

Happy cruising.

I did a 24 night Med cruise at the beginning of August last year. I started the roll call in January but it really didn't take off until about May. I participated in a number of private tours which were all filled so I wouldn't give up hope yet.

Hi Anna,

I've just booked some family on NCL for W Med & the roll call is quiet - hoping it will pick up so I can arrange some pvt excursions.

Did you do a review? I'd love to hear how you found NCL, any tips & your port details :)

What are your ports of call?

Fabulous Itinerary...

You get the lot all rolled into one. With a B2B , you sure get a bang for your buck..:D

We did a similar cruise , but round the other way and we changed ships. We have many friends who have done similar cruises and they all say its the way to go..

Cruise Itinerary

1Southampton, England4.00pm

2Zeebrugge, Belgium8.00am6.00pm

3At Sea

4Copenhagen, Denmark8.00am5.00pm

5At Sea

6Stockholm Sweden9.00am5.00pm

7Helsinki, Finland10.00am6.00pm

8St Petersburg, Russia6.30am overnight

9St Petersburg, Russia 6.00pm

10Tallinn, Estonia7.00am2.00pm

11Gdansk, Poland10.00am6.00pm

12At Sea

13Oslo, Norway7.00am4.00pm

14At Sea

15Southampton, England7.00am

Cruise Itinerary

1Southampton, England4.00pm

2At Sea

3At Sea

4At Sea

5Barcelona, Spain8.00am5.00pm

6Ajaccio, Corsica. FR10.00am6.00pm

7Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy7.00am7.00pm

8.Livorno, (Florence, Pisa) Italy7.00am7.00pm

9Genoa, Italy7.00am7.00pm

10Provence, France8.00am6.00pm

11At Sea

12Gibraltar, United Kingdom9.00am4.00pm

13At Sea

14At Sea

15Southampton, England7.00am

You will get a day to enjoy Southampton as well. Are you doing a private tour in St Petersburg? Its the way to go...definetly a highlight.

The Med is port intensive and can be tiring , but you have a great selection of calls and some sea days to relax. Nice balance and it will get you ready for the long haul home.:rolleyes:

Definitely lots of bang for our bucks, David. We have chosen a XXX tours package - Copenhagen, Stockholm, Tallinn, Helsinki and St Petersburg (2 days). They certainly know how their market and are easy to deal with.

If you haven't got anything planned for Southhampton, I spent a delightful day in the New Forest.

If you haven't got anything planned for Southhampton, I spent a delightful day in the New Forest.

....or take the ferry to the Isle of Wight. We did that , and visited Osbourne House and saw the actual bed that Queen Victoria died in.:eek: Winchester is also nearby . Lots of history You can visit Winchester Cathedral and listen to it ringing its bell:) and the Round Table is hanging on a wall just up the road.:D

Has anyone experienced a similar 'sad' roll thread?

Have found the local rollcalls are now very very sad indeed compared with a few years back:(:( I look but don't really bother anymore..... guess its a sign of the times that there are now other places to go for rollcalls.

We have just booked the Caribbean Princess London to N.Y via Norway, Shetlands, 3 Iceland ports, Newfoundland and Nova Scotia for September next year and the rollcall is growing daily:D which is fantastic... haven't had a decent rollcall since our Diamond Princess cruise back in 2009 Bangkok to Sydney;):D what a rollcall that was.....

cheers

Shiona

Couldn't agree more Shiona. You wonder why some people even bother "coming on board" when there's no involvement (or maybe some just lurk about). The Dawn and Diamond Princess roll calls were my favorites. The 2105 TA sounds great. There should be lots of interest there.

New Forest look magical Marion, but I doubt we'll have time on the turnaround day.

David - Ferry to Isle of Wight could be worth looking at if the ferry leaves form Southampton.

Thanks for your ideas. We have 3 full days in London pre-cruise :D

Edited by Kinkacruiser

I have organised a private tour on our turnaround day in Southampton in September. We are going to visit Highclere Castle (Downton Abbey) and Winchester. An easy drive and it should be very interesting. I can't wait as Downton Abbey is my favourite TV show. :)

It's my favorite too. Can I email you for details Eileen?

Couldn't agree more Shiona. You wonder why some people even bother "coming on board" when there's no involvement (or maybe some just lurk about). The Dawn and Diamond Princess roll calls were my favorites. The 2105 TA sounds great. There should be lots of interest there.

New Forest look magical Marion, but I doubt we'll have time on the turnaround day.

David - Ferry to Isle of Wight could be worth looking at if the ferry leaves form Southampton.

Thanks for your ideas. We have 3 full days in London pre-cruise :D

I did it on my own on a day port visit to Southampton, whilst my daughter made a quick visit to London.

I caught the train, then a small double decker bus, which you could get on and off around the New Forest - magical day!