Tell me about the Princess stock and OBC/benefits

rgmacm

Two other comments - first, if you have a 401K plan that allows stock purchase this is a perfect place to buy. We started with about a 3200 investment several years ago and it rose to 4400, plus the OBC from cruising (at least twice a year for us). Even our financial advisor likes the 2 1/2% return/dividend. Not sure you could do this in three weeks, though. Note that this is Carnival stock, not Princess, and you get a credit sailing on any of the corporate lines.

For the other poster, this now does show up on the Cruise Personalizer once you send in the documentation, but everything does vanish about five days before the sail date.

This is what I did - I sold an underperforming mutual fund in my 401K and bought my 100 shares of Carnival Corp stock. Back then (2008) it cost $25/share! I have my dividends and profit used to buy more shares. Now I have 114 of them. And since I take long cruises , I get $250 of OBC each time!!

You would have to put the stock into a joint account. The other choice is to transfer the stock from one owner to another. Net even sure if this is doable. You would have to talk to your adviser.

If the stock is in a tax deferred account (such as an IRA). None of the above will work

Thanks, everyone. The stock is in his IRA, so I am out of luck unless I want to buy it. Since we usually travel together, and I'm guessing we couldn't get the credit twice, it's probably not worth me buying it too.

Thanks, everyone. The stock is in his IRA, so I am out of luck unless I want to buy it. Since we usually travel together, and I'm guessing we couldn't get the credit twice, it's probably not worth me buying it too.

Yes, your only option is to buy 100 shares in either a personal account in your name or a joint account with you as one of the owners.

Unfortunately only one shareholder OBC per cabin

Yes, your only option is to buy 100 shares in either a personal account in your name or a joint account with you as one of the owners.

Unfortunately only one shareholder OBC per cabin

Are you sure about that? I always assumed if the other person had a different last name they and owned 100 shares they also could take advantage of the benefit. If her mother owned 100 shares she could get the $$.

Are you sure about that? I always assumed if the other person had a different last name they and owned 100 shares they also could take advantage of the benefit. If her mother owned 100 shares she could get the $$.

The answer to your question is shown on the shareholder benefit website.

Only one onboard credit per shareholder-occupied stateroom

The only way to get double OBC would be to book separate staterooms.

We have our shares in the name of our trust with my husband and I as trustees. That way the title shows both of our names and I can leave him at home if I want to!;)

We are set up the same way and have never had a problem getting the OBC

Just buy 100 shares. ;)

The answer to your question is shown on the shareholder benefit website.

Only one onboard credit per shareholder-occupied stateroom

The only way to get double OBC would be to book separate staterooms.

Thanks. Well there goes that idea. Guess I never took the time to read it :p

Edited by Miss Pat

Another benefit that people don't mention is that the OBC is tax free. You have to pay taxes on the dividend but the OBC is like getting paid under the table.. :D

Edited by Kenswing

Best time to buy has been mid-October for the last few years. I our case I had to close out my 401 (to move elsewhere is February when stock was high and use non-401 funds in October, but did save around $1000 on the buy.

You even get credit for the short repo cruises, like 1 day Seattle to Vancouver and 3 day Vancouver to LA. Not a lot of credit, but it adds up and is good on something like seven lines under the Carnival brand.

Carnival does have a dividend reinvestment plan but watch out how you buy the stock. For example, Scottrade only lets you accumulate shares in whole share increments. Since the dividend on 1000 shares is $25, this gets credited as cash to the account and you never get more shares.

Best time to buy has been mid-October for the last few years. I our case I had to close out my 401 (to move elsewhere is February when stock was high and use non-401 funds in October, but did save around $1000 on the buy.

You even get credit for the short repo cruises, like 1 day Seattle to Vancouver and 3 day Vancouver to LA. Not a lot of credit, but it adds up and is good on something like seven lines under the Carnival brand.

Carnival does have a dividend reinvestment plan but watch out how you buy the stock. For example, Scottrade only lets you accumulate shares in whole share increments. Since the dividend on 1000 shares is $25, this gets credited as cash to the account and you never get more shares.

I suspect a typo in the "1000" shares in the previous post. The dividend is 25 cents per quarter which would be $250 for 1000 shares.

...However, if you look at it as an investment, it may be a good deal. Currently Carnival Corp pays a 25 cent per share dividend each quarter. You would get $100 (about 2 1/2% at the current price) plus appreciation if the stock goes up. Of course you can loose money if it goes down.

Exactly. Buy the stock as an investment. Do you think that Carnival Corp will do well? Does the dividend match your expectations?

Investing in the stock for the OBC is sorta' like buying a car because you like the cookies in the service department every year.

That said, I'm taking advantage of the perk for a little cruise on the Star Princess next week and a QM2 crossing next year.

Exactly. Buy the stock as an investment. Do you think that Carnival Corp will do well? Does the dividend match your expectations?

Investing in the stock for the OBC is sorta' like buying a car because you like the cookies in the service department every year.

What?

That said, I'm taking advantage of the perk for a little cruise on the Star Princess next week and a QM2 crossing next year.

I would not put it quite that way. I would put it that you invest based upon total return of which OBC can be a significant part. I have had CCL stock for 5 years Purchased in 2010 at 39.639 per share. So since that time the stock has appreciated to 43.45 an increase of 3.811 (total 381.1) The dividends has totaled around $400. However, my total OBC from the stock ownership program has totaled $3175 during that timeframe.

So the cookies in the service department have been far better then the car itself if I put it in your terms.

Return over 5 years with OBC 99.8%, return without OBC 19.7%.

I have to disagree with your comments about buying CCL for the OBC. Those who cruise often on the ship owned by Carnival Corp can get a great return even if the stock breaks even or loses some. Most years we get $750 or 1000 from the shareholder benefit. Since we paid $26 per share, we long ago past the point where we could lose money on the investment.

Don't forget the tax piece; that OBC is easily worth 30% more if you consider that it replaces taxable earned income.

I always say if the creditors of a defunct Carnival Corporation came knocking at the door after the stock was wiped out, I'd still be in the money if I kicked 'em a couple hundred bucks for the trouble. I've recouped my investment purely in OBC and dividend, ignoring any unrealized gains.

I think it is different for different people, for some the OBC is a added bonus, for others it is the main reason. If you cruise a lot with Carnival Corp cruise lines then it is definitely better than cookies.:D