Do transatlantic crossing book quickly? What's the deal?

recyclelady

I'm just in the beginning stages of THINKING about booking a cruise aboard the Emerald from Ft. Lauderdale to Barcelona in April 2015. This is over a year in advance.

When I looked at available balcony cabins, I was surprised to see so few listed as available. Do they block some? I can't imagine that people are really booking this so far in advance.

This is my first transatlantic, so maybe I just don't get it. Enlighten me, please!:D

TransAtlantics are popular, some TAs may have grabbed some room blocks that may or may not free up later. Princess may also hold some back for later release as they see how pricing goes.

I'm just in the beginning stages of THINKING about booking a cruise aboard the Emerald from Ft. Lauderdale to Barcelona in April 2015. This is over a year in advance.

When I looked at available balcony cabins, I was surprised to see so few listed as available. Do they block some? I can't imagine that people are really booking this so far in advance.

This is my first transatlantic, so maybe I just don't get it. Enlighten me, please!:D

We just booked the Emerald doing the return TA in October 2015. We also were surprized to see so many SOLD cabins! We just booked an OV aft cabin as the prices are still quite high. We're hoping for a price drop, or two, so that we can move up to a balcony or mini-suite. However, we're very happy being on that sailing in any cabin!

T/As used to be a bargain but not so much any more. It's not unusual to book a year or even two years in advance. I booked my Royal Princess Copenhagen to NY cruise in September over a year ago and since then, prices have gone up dramatically. There isn't a prayer for a fare reduction.

T/As used to be a bargain but not so much any more. It's not unusual to book a year or even two years in advance. I booked my Royal Princess Copenhagen to NY cruise in September over a year ago and since then, prices have gone up dramatically. There isn't a prayer for a fare reduction.

I booked the Royal for a Sept 2015 crossing back. Now I don't feel so bad for booking so early.

I booked the Royal for a Sept 2015 crossing back. Now I don't feel so bad for booking so early.
You probably saved yourself a ton of money. Cabins near where I booked are now $1,000 more expensive on the 9/10/14 sailing.

The newest ship's TAs usually sell out fast.

I find it is still rare for an older ship's TA to fill up far in advance unless the itinerary is special for a TA.

Reasons that a TA is often a bargain is that many who still work do not have enough vacation time to take a TA, school is usually in session so families with children in school cannot take them, and the one way cost of airfare across the Atlantic can be high.

You probably saved yourself a ton of money. Cabins near where I booked are now $1,000 more expensive on the 9/10/14 sailing.

My TA on the Regal is also about $1000 more than when I booked it a year ago.

Edited by Ethel5

We've done several TA's and I always booked the minute the itineraries came out to get the cabin I want. Then I sit and monitor it. Price goes down, I'm on it like white on rice.

Here is what happened to my TA coming up in April. Booked an inside close to the elevator as soon as it came out for $999. Caught a $50 residential price drop. Then, for two or three days, caught a price drop down to $759 pp. Prices went up $300-$400 pp for the cabin off and on after that.

Had to cancel the cruise right before final payment (early February) because husband was recovering from a broken hip in October and we had no pre-existing coverage. . By rebooking at a later date, I could immediately get insurance with pre-existing coverage as it would be a "new" booking. He was pretty much completely recovered and, in fact, was discharged the first of March.

In late February price for a balcony guarantee was $999 or so. Called to book it only to sit on hold for a very long time. By the time I got a live body, price had gone up to $1,200 or so. BUT inside guarantee was $699 with a senior discount. I'm not one to book guarantees but the assigned cabins which were available were not in great locations so decided I could do no worse with a guarantee and, maybe, hook an upgrade if someone wanted an inside guarantee at the last minute and, if they couldn't get it, they would "walk." This happened to us once before. We did not have a guarantee but an assigned cabin. The cabin next to us was unsold and the party only would "buy" two cabins either connecting or close together. We didn't know about the upgrade until we were port side.

I got a cabin assignment as good as I had had before--close to an elevator which is my preferred location. Now I check every day with my fingers crossed I haven't been moved (lol).

Cruise is now sold out but the price for an inside guarantee lingered around $1K for the most part and weren't available most of the last couple of months.

So, if you can spare the deposit, I'd book as soon as you can and watch for price drops. Prices for these TA's go up and down like a yo-yo. Book any cabin you can live in even if it isn't exactly where you would like to be. Then watch for a more desirable cabin location in the category you have booked and get a reassignment to it. I've seen hump cabins become available the last couple of weeks.

Tucker in Texas

..........................SNIP.......................

In late February price for a balcony guarantee was $999 or so. Called to book it only to sit on hold for a very long time. By the time I got a live body, price had gone up to $1,200 or so. BUT inside guarantee was $699 with a senior discount. guarantees but the assigned cabins which were available were not in great locations so decided I could do no worse with a guarantee and, maybe, hook an upgrade if someone wanted an inside guarantee at the last minute and, if they couldn't get it, they would "walk." .......................................SNIP..............................................

Tucker in Texas

How did you get a senior discount on Princess?

Guest USC Traveler

i was looking at the emerald t/a from southampton to ft lauderdale for oct 2014 last year. i'm partial to cabin e731 and it was not available. however, i noticed the emerald was continuing on to houston. if i booked that cabin all the way to houston, it was bookable so i guess princess holds back cabins on certain segments. that's very irritating to me. :mad:

i was looking at the emerald t/a from southampton to ft lauderdale for oct 2014 last year. i'm partial to cabin e731 and it was not available. however, i noticed the emerald was continuing on to houston. if i booked that cabin all the way to houston, it was bookable so i guess princess holds back cabins on certain segments. that's very irritating to me. :mad:

The 2015 cruise I'm looking at is similar. There is that option of starting in Houston instead of Ft. Lauderdale. I would much rather cruise out of Florida and not pay for the extra two/three days getting over to Ft. Lauderdale. But the cabin availability changes between the two options.

As somebody mentioned, there are many cabins "held back" by the cruise line for their basic repositioning TA cruise. The reason is that Princess wants to sell back to back cruises (which are also very popular) which combine the crossing with the following European cruise that ends in Athens. It is also a bit more complicated because folks can start this cruise in Houston rather then in Ft Lauderdale. It is very common to hold back cabins for those that want to book the longer combinations which in this case would be the 27 day cruise from Houston to Pireaus.

Hank

Had to cancel the cruise right before final payment (early February) because husband was recovering from a broken hip in October and we had no pre-existing coverage. . By rebooking at a later date, I could immediately get insurance with pre-existing coverage as it would be a "new" booking. He was pretty much completely recovered and, in fact, was discharged the first of March.

Good luck, but you may find you don't have the pre-existing conditions coverage you thought you had - depending on the insurance provider. The Certificate of Insurance for Travel Insured International Worldwide Trip Protector Gold, for example, states that the preexisting conditions exception only applies if "The booking for the Covered Trip must be the first and only booking for this travel period and destination." You would need to look at the fine print in your own policy to see if it has a similar exception.

I have been looking at TA's both spring/fall for the last few years and there has always been availability right up to a couple of weeks before.q

Lots of cabins released after final payment. If one is flexible with cabin types/flights there are really good deals the closer you can wait to sailing.

So I went ahead and started the booking process with my travel agent. I'm taking the option of travelling out of Fort Lauderdale (not Houston) but adding the next 7 day segment that will take me from Barcelona to Athens. It is a total of 24 days.

I'm still amazed at how few balcony cabins on the Emerald there were to chose from. I've chosen a near-midship (B503) balcony and will now keep my eyes open every day for the next 365+ (!) days for any price changes!