Paris Hotel

YoungDubFan

I'm starting research for a Paris to Normandy river cruise on Avalon. From what I've been able to gather from reading prior posts, Avalon uses the Pullman Montparnase Hotel, which I've gathered may not be the best hotel for a day or two pre cruise.

What hotel have others used in Paris? I don't need 4-5 stars. When I traveled in Slovakia, I really enjoyed staying in Pensions, guest houses, and bed & breakfasts. I"ll need the ability to have 2 twin beds per room as this trip will mostly be friends travelling together and no one wants to have to share a bed.

I appreciate everyone's suggestions. I've looked some at Trip Advisor, but there are so many hotels it seems impossible to pick one without at least some suggestions. Obviously we would like to be located close to some tourist attractions. This will be my first trip to Paris. Some in the group may have been there before.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

I have had a couple of very pleasant stays at Best Western Gallion Opera. You book it through Best Western online. Rates are quite good by Paris standards. The location is great - near the Opera. The bus from CDG is in walking distance to the hotel. It's probably rated 3 star, but I've found it to be quite convenient. Typical of 3 star hotels in Paris, rooms are small. The location more than makes up for this, however.

A few that we've enjoyed over the years: Hotel Brighton (but only if you can book a room overlooking the Tuileries, with the Eiffel Tower in the distance); Hotel Francois Premier (just off the Champs Elysee on a quiet street); and Hotel Millesime (in the 6th).

In 2011 we had 5 great nights at the Hotel Eiffel Seine. Near the Tour Eiffel and literally surrounded by cafes, supermarkets and everything you could need. The best bit was the price. This very nice establishment did not cost the earth. We would stay there again.

YoungDubFan,

We are going on the Paris & Normandy cruise in July.

In Paris, we will be staying at Hotel Britannique.

It was highly recommended by another CC member, cruisemom42.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187147-d198174-Reviews-Hotel_Britannique-Paris_Ile_de_France.html

I can trust cruisemom42 for reliable recommendations. She has helped me several times over the years.

Another CC member recommended Hotel Gramont Opera.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187147-d1443317-Reviews-Hotel_Gramont_Opera_Paris-Paris_Ile_de_France.html

We considered both hotels, and decided to go with Hotel Brittanique. Both hotels get high marks on Trip Advisor.

We also wanted something other then 4 & 5 star major chains.

We will be in Paris for 3 nights after Avalons Grand France in July, I used tripadvisor and CC recommendations, we have booked Hotel du Champ de Mars, in the 7th district, reasonably priced, around the corner from Rue Cler and also Eiffell Tower , it looks like a charming boutique hotel.

Deb

http://www.hotelduchampdemars.com/

Paris has so many options for hotels or pensiones. First, you need to decide what part of the city you wish to stay. You don't want to stay way out on the ring road, for one thing that is were the bad sections of the city are.

Research where you want to stay and use TripAdvisor, Venere and Kayak to check prices. After checking Venere and or Kayak, go to TripAdvisor and there is a map you can pull up that shows restaurants, other hotels and things to see on the map. Run your mouse over the other hotels and you can find prices and check reviews for a descent hotel. You don't need a four star in Paris, but make sure you are not in a bad section of the city. METRO is great, but it is nice to be within walking distance of some of the sights.

We prefer to stay in the 6th when in Paris. This trip we have an apartment rented as we are there for 4 nights. In the past, I have used Priceline with good success and no complaints, for the prices we paid.

The Montparnase area is convenient but not very charming IMO. I believe the Pullman used to be LeMeridien and we did not like it at all. Surly staff, large convention hotel.

We enjoyed Melia's Royal Alma, a boutique hotel that prices well and has a very nice staff and good location. Also, the Hotel Odeon Paris, charming 3 star located near the heart of Saint-Germain-des-Pres. Small rooms as is the norm but a good value.

Have also stayed at Hilton in the 7th on points and it was fine. One stay was at Novotel in the 7th won on Priceline and it was adequate for the price paid.

We rented an apartment in the 8th last year and loved having an apt, washer/dryer, a grocery store nearby so we could eat in. the one we got would be too small for you, but if you go on vrbo homeaway airbnb tripadvisor you should be able to find a nice one. Next year we are traveling with 2 other couples and we are renting a 3 bed 3 bath apt in Budapest for the equivalent of $72 US per night per couple, and in Prague we have a 4 bed 3 bath for $110 per night.

Good luck!!

• 4 months later...

We are looking for a Hotel that can accommodate 3 adults. We would like to be somewhere near the Seine / Eiffel Tower as one in the party has some mobility issues and uses a cane.

While the need for 3 to the room.... 2 beds would be ok, as 2 of the persons are Mother/Daughter who can use one bed. (Grandma gets the other bed ;) )

Any thoughts or ideas??

Oh by the way..... we need the hotel from June 14th to June 21st 2015 - before departure on the Uniworld's Paris/Normandy River cruise.

Thanks in advance...

We also wanted something other then 4 & 5 star major chains.

We will be in Paris for 3 nights after Avalons Grand France in July, I used tripadvisor and CC recommendations, we have booked Hotel du Champ de Mars, in the 7th district, reasonably priced, around the corner from Rue Cler and also Eiffell Tower , it looks like a charming boutique hotel.

Deb

http://www.hotelduchampdemars.com/

How was the hotel ?...... and was there any concerns not having Air Condition? I don't believe it has an elevator either ...is that correct?

How was the hotel ?...... and was there any concerns not having Air Condition? I don't believe it has an elevator either ...is that correct?

The hotel was great, there was a lift, small but did carry 2 people and luggage, the room was lovely, it didnt bother us not having air con, there was a fan and the windows opened to the street. There were many restaurants just outside the door. We walked to the Eiffel Tower from there, an easy walk, bus stops close by too. Lots of food shops , fresh, small supermarkets and restaurants along Rue Cler, a very safe area we found to walk around at night too.

We'd definitely stay there again.

20140716_023353.jpg.ea69ce7dcea741dc2d139ab262383c69.jpg

20140716_062624.jpg.3e1ddbda35352bf9e3345e70537cb8b2.jpg

20140716_062558.jpg.21f276eb09015eb38c1690e751fd7b12.jpg

20140716_023359.jpg.ddc79555df8cb2d0dee5a241acc8f926.jpg

The hotel was great, there was a lift, small but did carry 2 people and luggage, the room was lovely, it didnt bother us not having air con, there was a fan and the windows opened to the street. There were many restaurants just outside the door. We walked to the Eiffel Tower from there, an easy walk, bus stops close by too. Lots of food shops , fresh, small supermarkets and restaurants along Rue Cler, a very safe area we found to walk around at night too.

We'd definitely stay there again.

I appreciate your getting back to me so quickly..... The hotel just contacted me and advised that they do not have accommodations for 3 adults :( - bummer. Traveling are adult Mother/19 yr old Daughter ( who can sleep together ) and a grandmother - so really only two beds or one bed and a sleeper sofa type would work anywhere. Darn!!

Since you liked the area, we may try to find something nearby. Thank you once again.

I appreciate your getting back to me so quickly..... The hotel just contacted me and advised that they do not have accommodations for 3 adults :( - bummer. Traveling are adult Mother/19 yr old Daughter ( who can sleep together ) and a grandmother - so really only two beds or one bed and a sleeper sofa type would work anywhere. Darn!!

Since you liked the area, we may try to find something nearby. Thank you once again.

That's a shame, there are a lot of the smaller hotels around there. I'm sure you'll find another that will suit, we were really happy with the area.

enjoy Paris :-)

Try this..an apartment near the Eiffel tower, for 3 people..

You can even have it for 1 night..its 109 Aus..so even better in Us $:)

https://www.airbnb.com.au/rooms/377276

Isabelle's apartments...there are quite a few to look at..

http://www.apartment-in-france.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Isabelles-Apartments/109007711682

Edited by jannandjohn

Thank you all for the great suggestions.........

We are looking at the dates and seeing if something may work out. We are a little apprehensive also about some of the locations not having air conditioning.

Our Daughter-in-law does have some mobility issues (often uses a cane as she has Lupus)...so we have to factor that into any place we pick.

Ironically I am meeting my wife in Paris toward the end of her trip 'with the girls' and then we are both taking the Uniworld Paris/Normandy river cruise starting on the 21st of June.

Keep the suggestions coming !!!!

• 1 month later...
Try this..an apartment near the Eiffel tower, for 3 people..

You can even have it for 1 night..its 109 Aus..so even better in Us $:)

Isabelle's apartments...there are quite a few to look at..

http://www.apartment-in-france.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Isabelles-Apartments/109007711682

Hi again..... I thought that I was able to access this listing before...but for some reason I am unable to reach it now....could you double check and make sure that I am looking at the right listing?

Thank you,