Dinner attire

Baba56

We just got off a 14 day cruise on the Riviera in the Caribbean. We ate dinner in the Terrace Cafe each night. Men wore shorts, some wore T-shirts and some wore flip flops.

All acceptable in the Terrace

There really are collarless mens' shirts that look very nice with a jacket. The shape may be that of a "t-shirt" but the fabric is often silk, or silk-like, and can be quite stylish. i.e we are not talking about a white Hanes t-shirt or the like. If a man wore a jacket over a turtleneck in the winter, few would argue that he wasn't dressed nicely; the "dressy collarless shirt" with a jacket is more or less the summer time equivalent of that look.

Will most men now be checking the feel of the fabric other men are wearing under their jacket or will they see the T-shirt & show up with their Hanes :D

Will most men now be checking the feel of the fabric other men are wearing under their jacket or will they see the T-shirt & show up with their Hanes :D

Most men will continue to try to look pretty good, as they always have.

Mine is a Geoffrey Beene design, made with a different weave than typical t-shirt jersey.....I also have a photo of me in mine with a silk sports coat; .

Like the photo in your avatar perhaps? Or similar? The picture is too small for me to see detail but I would challenge anyone to say that that is not a sharp look, suitable for anywhere "country club casual" or "smart casual" is requested.

Most men will continue to try to look pretty good, as they always have.

And hopefully they will continue, or perhaps start, to worry more about themselves instead of worrying about what some guy 3 tables over is wearing. :)

Like the photo in your avatar perhaps? Or similar? The picture is too small for me to see detail but I would challenge anyone to say that that is not a sharp look, suitable for anywhere "country club casual" or "smart casual" is requested.

That's precisely the photo I mentioned; I forgot I had used it for the avatar. Fortunately, it's sufficiently cropped to eliminate the offensive bulge at the waist :cool:.

Oh yes, and the Average O female cruiser is the IMAGE of a Chico's model!

chicos-outfits.jpg

Aren't we all lucky?

I am still at a loss where you got these pics of me:D

However on another note..my DH loves ties...don't ask he just does. I can't believe he is picking his favs for our NYC-LON , the Martini tie for J&S, even tho they will not be sailing with us (he really wanted to share this with you), and a few others. Please, just humor him:D. But generally he just wears a long sleeved collared shirt with dress slacks to all the dining venues. We no longer take the bulky jacket as there is no need.

I must say I am super sad I cannot wear my jeans to dinner. They always go with a dressy top; I hate dresses and skirts. I guess it's the Aussie in me. And I am not sure I am a 'Chicos girl'.

Once again let's refer to the Oceania dress code and not other poster's bias.

Here it is:

"Is there a dress code?

Recommended onboard clothing is resort or country club-casual. For evening dining, elegant casual resort wear is suggested. We request that casual jeans, shorts, t-shirts or tennis shoes not be worn at dinner."

So as you can easily see as long as your jeans are not casual you can wear them to dinner.

Still waiting for a definition from Oceania as to what constitutes casual though.

I've seen many women in nice denim and or colored jeans with a nice top that look much more elegant casual than others in their version of dress pants

I've seen many women in nice denim and or colored jeans with a nice top that look much more elegant casual than others in their version of dress pants

Amen! Just because one is wearing non-denim pants doesn't mean the ensemble is automatically "smart casual" or whatever similar phrase a particular cruise line uses.

Once again let's refer to the Oceania dress code and not other poster's bias.

Here it is:

"Is there a dress code?

Recommended onboard clothing is resort or country club-casual. For evening dining, elegant casual resort wear is suggested. We request that casual jeans, shorts, t-shirts or tennis shoes not be worn at dinner."

So as you can easily see as long as your jeans are not casual you can wear them to dinner.

Still waiting for a definition from Oceania as to what constitutes casual though.

Thanks ORV! I knew I could do it, with the right top and accessories! ;0

What do the men usually wear for dinner in the Riviera. Hubby s wondering whether to bring a sports coat?

Baba56 - in response to your original question, I normally wear a sports jacket to dinner if eating in the GDR or a specialty restaurant. I will have a collared shirt beneath the jacket or a collared polo type shirt. If eating in The Terrace, I will not wear a jacket, but will usually wear whatever I had on while in port.

I would say whatever your husband is comfortable with on a daily basis should be the direction he goes with his decision.

Lastly, I forbid my wife from packing any neckties for me when taking an Oceania cruise. It is suppose to be a vacation....lol

I must say I am super sad I cannot wear my jeans to dinner. They always go with a dressy top; I hate dresses and skirts. I guess it's the Aussie in me. And I am not sure I am a 'Chicos girl'.

In the summer. I always wear nice white jeans to dinner with an elegant sort of top and beautiful sweater and sandals. No one has ever stopped me and I have been doing this for years. In the cooler weather I have all sorts of jeans including velvet ones! But never plain blue or black denim.

In the summer. I always wear nice white jeans to dinner with an elegant sort of top and beautiful sweater and sandals. No one has ever stopped me and I have been doing this for years. In the cooler weather I have all sorts of jeans including velvet ones! But never plain blue or black denim.

So nice to hear you are not deterred by the clothing police. I bet you look maahhvelous . . .

We just got are doc's for the next cruise and it states "In all evening dining venues, we request that guest adhere to the appropriate country club-casual dress code. Shorts, casual jeans....not permitted So if they are not casual your OK to go!

Rick

We just got are doc's for the next cruise and it states "In all evening dining venues, we request that guest adhere to the appropriate country club-casual dress code. Shorts, casual jeans....not permitted So if they are not casual your OK to go!

Rick

There was a long (and nauseating) thread about the meaning of "casual" jeans a while back. Some folks are offended by the very thought of jeans in the dining venues other than the Terrace. OMG. Slippery slope. Soon it will lead to overalls and sweats.

My advice: use your own good judgment and don't let the fashion police get to you. We all know what "country club casual" means.

There was a long (and nauseating) thread about the meaning of "casual" jeans a while back. Some folks are offended by the very thought of jeans in the dining venues other than the Terrace. OMG. Slippery slope. Soon it will lead to overalls and sweats.

My advice: use your own good judgment and don't let the fashion police get to you. We all know what "country club casual" means.

I know, it was something!!!!!!!!We don't want to go that route again--but it was fun. I agree with you.....

Rick

Thanks. I know this is a 'male' oriented thread, but I needed to know. I think I will be fine. Marebear- Do the ladies really look like these Chico's girls? Or was this tongue in cheek? I don't think they have that brand here and would be surprised if they posted it out.

Edited by Hokapontas
Added sentence

Thanks. I know this is a 'male' oriented thread, but I needed to know. I think I will be fine. Marebear- Do the ladies really look like these Chico's girls? Or was this tongue in cheek? I don't think they have that brand here and would be surprised if they posted it out.

All O passengers look just like the ones in the brochures :D

I wish:o

All the people are nicely dressed and, simply because of their age, they don't look like Chico's models. I have cruised on Holland America and they certainly don't look like the Oceania people!

Gee, I've sailed with Holland America 4 times and have seen very few people poorly dressed. I find globally disparaging comments like this very unpleasant.

Gee, I've sailed with Holland America 4 times and have seen very few people poorly dressed. I find globally disparaging comments like this very unpleasant.

I've had a very unpleasant experience with Holland. Between an incredibly rude couple from Vermont, and, what seemed like a great many passengers who didn't appear to either know, nor care, for the dress code, I would have to agree with her.

I haven't been back with them since then, 2005. Have you had a different experience on that line?

I've had a very unpleasant experience with Holland. Between an incredibly rude couple from Vermont, and, what seemed like a great many passengers who didn't appear to either know, nor care, for the dress code, I would have to agree with her.

I haven't been back with them since then, 2005. Have you had a different experience on that line?

Yes. I have met really nice people on HAL ships as well as on Oceania ships. ... and a few bad apples on both. Same experience applies to Azamara and Princess ships.