Dinner attire

Baba56

All the people are nicely dressed and, simply because of their age, they don't look like Chico's models. I have cruised on Holland America and they certainly don't look like the Oceania people!

We have cruised on Holland America over 500 days and switched to Oceania a year ago to dress down; no Formal Nights !

The fact that passengers on Oceania are allowed to wear shorts and golf shirts at the Terrace Cafe for dinner is the same as HAL's dinner at their Lido Restaurant.

First time on Oceanic. Will DH need a sport jacket in the Grand Dining room? Or is a nice shirt enough?

No Jacket required

A nice shirt is just fine

It is a personal choice

Three pages of discussion of appropriate attire, including the wearing of jacketrs, on O and we get las313's question!#!:eek:

I wonder if she actually read any of three pages or just went to the end and posted her question?!!!

Having just completed our first, and terrific, Oceania cruise, I did note that while still clearly a personal choice, the percentage of sports jackets went up significantly in the specialty restaurants, several evenings seeing to approach 40 - 50%. La Reserve even more so. I know this has been noted in other threads. This might well vary based on itinerary and ship as well. One evening I decided to go without a jacket in Toscana and regretted it, but maybe that's my rigid New England genes speaking.

. One evening I decided to go without a jacket in Toscana and regretted it, but maybe that's my rigid New England genes speaking.

Why did you regret it?

Peer pressure??

Last cruise DH opted to not take his jacket ...he wore a nice shirt to the specialties without any problems

Of course he does not give a hoot what other think or wear ...

We have seen ties worn in the specialties does not mean you need to wear one :)

Lyn

Edited by LHT28

Husband took a navy blue sports jacket on our first cruise, which was on Nautica in 2008. He happily has never packed one again.

Oddly enough, we found on our first Caribbean cruise (on Riviera in January) that on the whole the women dressed down from our experiences on our European cruises but that the men dressed up, with many more in sports jackets at dinner.

Edited by CintiPam

Why did you regret it?

Peer pressure??

Last cruise DH opted to not take his jacket ...he wore a nice shirt to the specialties without any problems

Of course he does not give a hoot what other think or wear ...

We have seen ties worn in the specialties does not mean you need to wear one :)

Lyn

A tie (and I did see a couple of those too) would definitely have been a bridge too far. I think my discomfort came about both because of the high percent of jackets at Toscana that night, plus the fact that I had been to two specialties with a jacket before that, and kind of felt naked without it my 3rd time out. As I said, maybe it's a New England thing. And while she was fine with me either way, there was also the fact that my wife dressed-up, so........Having started wearing school uniforms (with tie) in 1st grade, and with high school and college requiring jackets (that dates me!) , plus a career in management, even in retirement a jacket is still a second skin I guess.

A tie (and I did see a couple of those too) would definitely have been a bridge too far. I think my discomfort came about both because of the high percent of jackets at Toscana that night, plus the fact that I had been to two specialties with a jacket before that, and kind of felt naked without it my 3rd time out.

:D

I guess I just never notice anymore how many wear or do not wear a jacket

I dress nicely & DH wears a nice dress shirt

As long I he looks good I do not mind if he wears a jacket or not :D

Lyn

A jacket really isn't that important on "O", however if you feel like wearing one that's OK-but if you don't that's OK. Don't worry what anyone else thinks, it's doesn't matter what someone else want's to do or not-it's what you want that matters!

Rick

I agree with Rick as long as it stays within the country club casual guidelines at dinner, and reasonable attire! Otherwise, not so much. Bathrobes and sleeveless muscle shirts for Breakfast, in the Terrance, is a bit distasteful for patrons of O, I believe.

A tie (and I did see a couple of those too) would definitely have been a bridge too far. I think my discomfort came about both because of the high percent of jackets at Toscana that night, plus the fact that I had been to two specialties with a jacket before that, and kind of felt naked without it my 3rd time out. As I said, maybe it's a New England thing. And while she was fine with me either way, there was also the fact that my wife dressed-up, so........Having started wearing school uniforms (with tie) in 1st grade, and with high school and college requiring jackets (that dates me!) , plus a career in management, even in retirement a jacket is still a second skin I guess.

That's the way I grew up, and experienced in life....from how my parents dressed to how I dressed ...( not to mention spending 40 years in uniforms of varying types)

I would feel funny without a jacket.. as a min in the evening. FOR ME.

Sorry but wearing a tie and jacket doesn't say your dressed for dinner. I see people not wearing a tie and jacket and are dressed much better than those with a tie and jacket. It's really what makes you comfortable as a person-not what someone thinks you should wear.

Rick

Sorry but wearing a tie and jacket doesn't say your dressed for dinner. I see people not wearing a tie and jacket and are dressed much better than those with a tie and jacket. It's really what makes you comfortable as a person-not what someone thinks you should wear.

Rick

Amen Rick. Even a Seigo tie and bespoke jacket may not look as good as natty casual wear. Of course, rugged good looks, like mine, also make a difference. ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Amen Rick. Even a Seigo tie and bespoke jacket may not look as good as natty casual wear. Of course, rugged good looks, like mine, also make a difference. ;-)

I've got to go get my shovel.;)

Edited by ORV

Don't believe I said anything about "Natty Casual Wear", good try....But still with no tie or jacket doesn't mean your not well dressed. It's just depends on if you have class or not, nothing more than that.

Rick

• 2 weeks later...

I'm wondering if jeans, sneakers and a polo shirt are appropriate during the day. Some posters seem to indicate that jeans/sneakers are never appropriate attire on the ship (Insignia ).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I'm wondering if jeans, sneakers and a polo shirt are appropriate during the day. Some posters seem to indicate that jeans/sneakers are never appropriate attire on the ship (Insignia ).

Not appropriate at dinner (except in the Terrace Cafe)

fine during the day

Wear whatever you like during the day, but no jeans etc, at dinner. Fairly simple.

No so simple.

Dressy jeans now permitted at dinner

I know some of you are in denial about this latest trend but I think it's only fair to tell folks the truth.