Grandeur Damaged?

IMHO, Cruise Junkie, who has an agenda of battling cruise lines, is about one step up from Jim Walker's Cruise Law News, and the tinfoil hat guy who claims there is a conspiracy about the Concordia because there are no underwater photos published. They're all good for my morning chuckle over coffee. Yes, you can find out when something happens from them, but discount 90% of what is "claimed".

A step above?:D I thought they were on par down at the bottom of the barrel. Walker was sniffing around and asked for comments on Facebook.

A step above?:D I thought they were on par down at the bottom of the barrel. Walker was sniffing around and asked for comments on Facebook.

Well, considering they're all in the basement, one step isn't much. Walker is always sniffing around, like a dog looking for a place to take a dump. As I say, I sit back, have my morning coffee, and chuckle over the factual distortions, out of context quotes and documents, and general ambulance chaser BS.

I was under the impression things listed were things from local media and passengers. Below is where they claim their events come from. I've read many of the events such as missed ports , late ships and illnesses that are very true so I don't why your making it sound like some guy just writing random untrue stuff. , not to say everything is spot on ...kind of like here at CC.....we know everyone here us always right...no? I'm apparently on so e other site.

The table below lists "events at sea" occurring after January 1, 2013, including cruise ship accidents. It is based on media reports, passenger reports posted at on-line boards and discussion groups, and reports sent to Cruise Junkie. In reviewing the information, please keep in mind that some cruise lines are given less scrutiny by the media than others, and it is not uncommon for events to not appear in the media. This information reflects only that which has made it into the public domain.

I was talking with our fire chief (I work in local gov) today and he was telling me about this. They are due to cruise next month (in about 2 weeks) and this cruise is a rescheduled one. They were supposed to cruise last year and the fire occurred a week before they were due to leave. He said that he was beginning to wonder if he should bother cruising at all....

I was under the impression things listed were things from local media and passengers. Below is where they claim their events come from. I've read many of the events such as missed ports , late ships and illnesses that are very true so I don't why your making it sound like some guy just writing random untrue stuff. , not to say everything is spot on ...kind of like here at CC.....we know everyone here us always right...no? I'm apparently on so e other site.

The table below lists "events at sea" occurring after January 1, 2013, including cruise ship accidents. It is based on media reports, passenger reports posted at on-line boards and discussion groups, and reports sent to Cruise Junkie. In reviewing the information, please keep in mind that some cruise lines are given less scrutiny by the media than others, and it is not uncommon for events to not appear in the media. This information reflects only that which has made it into the public domain.

Not going to hijack the thread with a discussion of Cruise Junkie's agenda. Just as I don't blindly believe all the media, I don't believe most websites without outside confirmation. Let's drop it, you like the site, I don't.

My wife and I were on that cruise. We were in the shops a couple of decks below when it happened. We felt a bang and the floor under our feet vibrated probably about an inch or so a couple of times. Some items fell off of some displays in the stores. They had put cardboard boxes of liquor to hold the store doors open but they moved. It probably wasn't a rouge wave. The waves at that time were 30 feet and every few minutes a wave would shake the ship. It was just a matter of timing of hitting the waves. I took a look at the damage. The welding gave way between deck plates. What was visible was a 4" crack and snapped railing. The captain announced that the area was closed off and that a team would come aboard to assess the damage when the ship made it back to Baltimore. I wasn't worried. They took the correct steps in my opinion. It's not the kind of damage you re-weld and go on your way. It was structural damage of the deck, not the frame of the ship. We ate lunch with someone who was there when it happened. They starting videoing on their phone a few seconds after it happened. I copied it to look at. There were some non structural items flapping but nothing collapsed. There was another crack in the flooring on the other side of the ship. In the theatre we did see something fall from the ceiling during the show. Everyone moved away from the seats under the lighting and the show went on. I forgot to mention that at breakfast we were wave watching at the front and the occasional splash reached slightly above us. The Windjammer is on deck 9! Cool. I'm happy my wife and I didn't get sick. Many did. Overall I didn't see any panic or worries about the ship.

My wife and I were on that cruise. We were in the shops a couple of decks below when it happened. We felt a bang and the floor under our feet vibrated probably about an inch or so a couple of times. Some items fell off of some displays in the stores. They had put cardboard boxes of liquor to hold the store doors open but they moved. It probably wasn't a rouge wave. The waves at that time were 30 feet and every few minutes a wave would shake the ship. It was just a matter of timing of hitting the waves. I took a look at the damage. The welding gave way between deck plates. What was visible was a 4" crack and snapped railing. The captain announced that the area was closed off and that a team would come aboard to assess the damage when the ship made it back to Baltimore. I wasn't worried. They took the correct steps in my opinion. It's not the kind of damage you re-weld and go on your way. It was structural damage of the deck, not the frame of the ship. We ate lunch with someone who was there when it happened. They starting videoing on their phone a few seconds after it happened. I copied it to look at. There were some non structural items flapping but nothing collapsed. There was another crack in the flooring on the other side of the ship. In the theatre we did see something fall from the ceiling during the show. Everyone moved away from the seats under the lighting and the show went on. I forgot to mention that at breakfast we were wave watching at the front and the occasional splash reached slightly above us. The Windjammer is on deck 9! Cool. I'm happy my wife and I didn't get sick. Many did. Overall I didn't see any panic or worries about the ship.

Someone we talked to on Thursday was in the theater and they said it was part of the chandelier that fell (like one of the pieces of glass) but that no one was hurt by it. It was an interesting ride that's for sure, but as you said, not really scary.

We were on this cruise also. We were on deck 9, I believe in the Salarium. We heard & felt the wave hit then saw several crew members looking up at deck 10. It wasn't until later that we saw the crack. This was my first cruise ever & I was not concerned about the ship. It was rough seas but I did not get seasick (however, I did get sick the first day out). I searched CC to look for an update on this damage. We did see the captain & I guess engineers go into a conference room off the Schooner Lounge while we were waiting to disembark.

I was on the grandeur this past week. My cruise was not hit by the wave but I can confirm that it indeed get hit. The picture above is not exactly where the damage is...slightly more to the left. The deck was cracked through. While I was on the area was completely roped off. If you wanted to use the track you had to go to the spot, and turn around. There was no walking the complete track. I saw an actual picture of the crack but I know they covered it up very carefully. I did personally see many cracks in the actual railing and we laughed (before we heard what happened) when we saw part the railing duct taped together..it must of been some side damage, not the major part. To imagine the size and power of the wave is crazy. It's the 10th floor that got the damage (big damage). Crew told us it was like a squid coming down on the ship! And like this ship hasn't had enough ( the fire, very very rough seas 3 wks ago according to crew(where everything closed and all you could do was hold on!). This past week..yes my week, we had a major outbreak of the norivirus. Many many quarrentined guest...myself included. Fever, stomach issues...not fun. The staff did an amazing job under these tough conditions... No help yourself Anything! Staff served you at every station in the windjammer, even took butter off the main dinning room table. Had to be served everything..no self help. Was we were walking out of our room tis morning all the room Stewarts were in complete hazmat garb...from head to toe and with masks. (Trying to upload the image) Complete wash down of the ship!

And I want to say that crew....wonderful! Rccl corporate stinks. Here is the policy about getting the virus on board...and they are sticking to it I am told...since you get a mandatory 24 hr quarantine, you get one day credit that can be used on another cruise within A YEAR! Now mind you, the sickness I have had for days, still fighting it! Had to change work plans because I am still not well so loss of money there and I contracted it on their ship! I asked for money towards the calls I had to make to change plans for when I got home...nope. It's our policy and they are sticking to it. No way would I go on another cruise in a year! Maybe never. How about just cash credit...something. Extremely disappointed in rccl corp! Shame on them. There had to be hundreds of sick people because the cruise director talked about the outbreak several times and apologized constantly. Corp was very cold and not helpful at all. Bad reflection on them.

image.jpg.2a66fef76254360a9714f08b3fb08ef0.jpg

I was on the grandeur this past week. My cruise was not hit by the wave but I can confirm that it indeed get hit. The picture above is not exactly where the damage is...slightly more to the left. The deck was cracked through. While I was on the area was completely roped off. If you wanted to use the track you had to go to the spot, and turn around. There was no walking the complete track. I saw an actual picture of the crack but I know they covered it up very carefully. I did personally see many cracks in the actual railing and we laughed (before we heard what happened) when we saw part the railing duct taped together..it must of been some side damage, not the major part. To imagine the size and power of the wave is crazy. It's the 10th floor that got the damage (big damage). Crew told us it was like a squid coming down on the ship! And like this ship hasn't had enough ( the fire, very very rough seas 3 wks ago according to crew(where everything closed and all you could do was hold on!). This past week..yes my week, we had a major outbreak of the norivirus. Many many quarrentined guest...myself included. Fever, stomach issues...not fun. The staff did an amazing job under these tough conditions... No help yourself Anything! Staff served you at every station in the windjammer, even took butter off the main dinning room table. Had to be served everything..no self help. Was we were walking out of our room tis morning all the room Stewarts were in complete hazmat garb...from head to toe and with masks. (Trying to upload the image) Complete wash down of the ship!

And I want to say that crew....wonderful! Rccl corporate stinks. Here is the policy about getting the virus on board...and they are sticking to it I am told...since you get a mandatory 24 hr quarantine, you get one day credit that can be used on another cruise within A YEAR! Now mind you, the sickness I have had for days, still fighting it! Had to change work plans because I am still not well so loss of money there and I contracted it on their ship! I asked for money towards the calls I had to make to change plans for when I got home...nope. It's our policy and they are sticking to it. No way would I go on another cruise in a year! Maybe never. How about just cash credit...something. Extremely disappointed in rccl corp! Shame on them. There had to be hundreds of sick people because the cruise director talked about the outbreak several times and apologized constantly. Corp was very cold and not helpful at all. Bad reflection on them.

Sigh. The wave itself did not hit the deck and directly cause the damage. The wave was hit head on (as were all the waves that day, Wed the 26th of March) and the flexing of the deck caused the weld to split. When the weld split it caused the railing to pop off.

You were sick, as you said on the thread you started. You made calls, okay. But you also said $300 on the other thread. How long were you on the phone? $300 for the calls from the ship? Or your total bill was $300?

The CD didn't need to apologize to anyone as it wasn't RCI or his fault. People get sick. It happens and this year has been bad for noro. Not just on ships. There have been many outbreaks on land too. RCI doesn't owe you any compensation. As I asked on the other thread, when you get sick at home do you expect someone to reimburse you for it?

"Major outbreak"? The outbreak you had was smaller than most have been this year. The percentages were lower as were the overall numbers. Someone has posted the reported numbers on a thread here.

As I told you on the other thread, the mandatory quarantine is to protect other people and who really feels like being out and about when they need a bathroom constantly? Plus, staying in is the right thing to do. Right?

Why do some people think that overly dramatic posts will carry more weight? BTW, they don't.

Edited by BND

It seems very generous to me from RCI to give you some sort of compensation at all. I can´t see why they should compensate you for any phone calls. But maybe cruising just isn´t for you and it might be best for you to not return.

Money will make everything better. :rolleyes:

You got sick. So what? So did others. I got sick a few weeks ago in my home town. So did my wife and daughter. I should sue the local hospital for my wife's lost wages since they obviously didn't control the outbreak and many were sick.

It's bad luck. It happens many times all over the world at sea and on land. Give it a rest and be thankful you have the means to travel in the first place!!

Curious to hear from those on the current trip how much (if any) of deck 10 is closed. I watched as Grandeur pulled into PC yesterday on the Port-Cam and it sure looked as though there were people on quite a bit of deck 10, including a few runners.

AeroBaldness, we were on a B2B and therefore on both the "crack" cruise and the cruise that followed "the crack incident". After reading the recent posts, I must say that some folks really do blow a situation out of proportion.

About our second half of the B2B:

The seas on our first day out were only mildly rough. After that day, the seas were calm. We had wonderful weather..even made it to Coco Cay.

Except for the area on each side of the crack, deck 10 was used as normal. The only abnormal situation was that the "Walk for Wishes" had to turn around each time it neared the crack. That group was smiling as they followed the odd circuit.:)

The "crack" was covered over by a piece of black rubber and about a 30 foot stretch of deck 10 was roped off. Most days we sat on deck 10 in lounge chairs next to the rope because it was an area with very little traffic (although one jogger would duck under the ropes and jog across the crack).

An area on deck 9 (below the crack) was roped off and was usually vacant. On one sunny day we saw people in loungers seeking shade inside the roped area and under the edge of the cracked deck.

We had a wonderful B2B and the Norovirus did not affect us. After seeing a woman throwing up in a bag ON BOARDING DAY we began to wash our hands more often than we normally do. We also spent little time in the Windjammer and stayed away from people who appeared to be ill. We were happy when the crew began serving food in the WJ….and amazed at how much neater the serving area was without passengers slopping their food.

I will rant here: one of my pet peeves is people moving through the WJ lines picking up food with their hands and/or eating food between times that the were using the tongs. YUCK!

Mid way through the cruise, while riding an elevator an ill looking woman entered from deck 8 and said, "Would someone push number 1. I'm sick and don't want to touch the buttons." Everyone exited that elevator immediately.

There were several quarantined people on our hall. Again, we avoided touching the railings and washed our hands every time we entered our cabin. We washed our hands before entering all food venues and opened the doors using a paper towel.

During both cruises we were never worried about our safety…we just took common sense precautions: wash hands, avoid ill people, and don't step on the crack:D.

Edited by beachnative

Glad to hear your remarks. If people just take common sense precautions, a lot of sickness would not spread but they're on vacation so anything goes. The WJ is the most likely place for contaminantion as well as the elevators. Saw people refuse to use the gel entering food venues also.Saw people raise the napkins where the waffles, bagels, etc with their hands then use the tongs for the food. Told one lady to use the tongs for the napkins and she said it was a good idea. She never thought of that. At least we didn't have any problems 1/11-31. Looking forward to boarding Lady "G" on 8/15 to Bermuda. You going then? Take care.

Happy sailing!

Evie

AeroBaldness, we were on a B2B and therefore on both the "crack" cruise and the cruise that followed "the crack incident". After reading the recent posts, I must say that some folks really do blow a situation out of proportion.

About our second half of the B2B:

The seas on our first day out were only mildly rough. After that day, the seas were calm. We had wonderful weather..even made it to Coco Cay.

Except for the area on each side of the crack, deck 10 was used as normal. The only abnormal situation was that the "Walk for Wishes" had to turn around each time it neared the crack. That group was smiling as they followed the odd circuit.:)

The "crack" was covered over by a piece of black rubber and about a 30 foot stretch of deck 10 was roped off. Most days we sat on deck 10 in lounge chairs next to the rope because it was an area with very little traffic (although one jogger would duck under the ropes and jog across the crack).

An area on deck 9 (below the crack) was roped off and was usually vacant. On one sunny day we saw people in loungers seeking shade inside the roped area and under the edge of the cracked deck.

We had a wonderful B2B and the Norovirus did not affect us. After seeing a woman throwing up in a bag ON BOARDING DAY we began to wash our hands more often than we normally do. We also spent little time in the Windjammer and stayed away from people who appeared to be ill. We were happy when the crew began serving food in the WJ….and amazed at how much neater the serving area was without passengers slopping their food.

I will rant here: one of my pet peeves is people moving through the WJ lines picking up food with their hands and/or eating food between times that the were using the tongs. YUCK!

Mid way through the cruise, while riding an elevator an ill looking woman entered from deck 8 and said, "Would someone push number 1. I'm sick and don't want to touch the buttons." Everyone exited that elevator immediately.

There were several quarantined people on our hall. Again, we avoided touching the railings and washed our hands every time we entered our cabin. We washed our hands before entering all food venues and opened the doors using a paper towel.

During both cruises we were never worried about our safety…we just took common sense precautions: wash hands, avoid ill people, and don't step on the crack:D.

Thanks for the credible and objective details!!

So refreshing to hear positive remarks after all the dramatic comments posted.

People seem to thrive on drama. Someone had posted that the Grandeur split into two!!!!!! And the person who is asking for $300 compensation for phone calls made to change their work plans!!! That takes the cake!

Haha, good one! I'm thinking its completely overblown, not a rogue wave but definitely a "rogue rumor" fostered by the internet. Again, spending 5 minutes looking - this thread references Facebook as the source of info, but the only info I can find on Facebook references this thread as the source! :D Ain't the internet great?

By the way, my local grocery store just offered me a private deal through their loyalty card program on limes - normally 69 cents each at present, but through next Tuesday I can get them for 18 cents each! :eek: Is there anywhere on CruiseCritic I can post limes for sale to cruisers? :D

too bad you're in Dallas...what a deal for limes!! I'm sailing on Saturday....I'd buy a case or two!! ;):D

Please come back and tell us?! I have B2B in May. Will be more of a problem with getting a chair at the pool until the damage is repaired.

Not a big deal, small areas were roped off, it was being repaired during our cruise, should be all done I would think by the time of your cruise.