Self serve laundry

Baba56

Has anyone used self service laundry facilities on Riviera..if so is there a long wait for machines and what is the cost...can you just use irons as you need them... Thanks

As I recall, the washing machine and dryer are both $2. There is a machine in the laundry room that takes dollar bills. You can also get tokens from reception. There were irons available for our use (no cost).

We loved the Riviera. It was our first Oceania cruise and we booked another sailing for later this year.:)

P.S. There was not a long wait for the machines but we tried to go when people were either ashore or at dinner.

Edited by Travelcat2

Just to expand a little bit. If you are on deck 10 or 11 you can get tokens from the concierge in the lounges on these floors. There may also be a "deal" at some point on your cruise where they offer 20 items for $20 at the laundry-wash & fold, no ironing. This is a gooood deal if you plan accordingly.

Having mostly been on the smaller ships (Regatta) with only one laundry room shared by all passengers, the laundry facilities on Riviera were outstanding! Three washers/three dryers per deck. Comfortable room w/ a fridge containing bottled water and machines from which to obtain tokens. Two ironing boards/irons. On a 12 day cruise only saw one other person in the laundry while I was there.

Don, you must have been referring to the famed Dragon Ladies of the Laundry Room. Funny enough on our cruise from Cape Town to Singapore this past January, it was Dragon Men and not Dragon Ladies in the laundry room. Best time to do the laundry tended to be around 4 pm.

Better yet, they have a great Laundry & Dry Cleaning service on the ship. Why spend your time doing what you do at home--enjoy your vacation.

Rick

If one spends 10K for a cruise for 15 days That $28 an hour for every hour your on the ship... actual enjoyment time is probably closer to 14 hours a day so that's around $50 an hour you paid to have fun... say it takes 2 hours start to finish to do laundry or any work.... your spending like $100 to do your wash.

Send it out and have the fun you paid for.... doing your own is a total waste of money and time.....unless you came on the cruise to clean and work like at home

If one spends 10K for a cruise for 15 days That $28 an hour for every hour your on the ship... actual enjoyment time is probably closer to 14 hours a day so that's around $50 an hour you paid to have fun... say it takes 2 hours start to finish to do laundry or any work.... your spending like $100 to do your wash.

Send it out and have the fun you paid for.... doing your own is a total waste of money and time.....unless you came on the cruise to clean and work like at home

Isn't that what I said, only a little shorter......

Rick

I guess since the laundry rooms are busy there must be people who do not mind spending their time doing laundry as long as they are not asking you to do it ..who really cares:rolleyes:

Who the heck would sit there for two hours, waiting for their laundry to get done?? We used the self-serve laundry 2 or 3 times on our two week cruise - we were active so planned to launder gym clothes and hiking clothes rather than bring multiple sets of each. It took just a couple of minutes each (if that, even) to put the laundry in the wash, switch to dryer, grab the clothes when they are done. On a sea day or in the evening, it didn't inconvenience our activities in the least - we just took note of the time so we could take out our clothes and not prevent someone else from using the machines. Maybe some people plan their activities in a way that it would be a bother to take 2 minutes to run and do this...but, for us, it was absolutely not a big deal at all.

To each their own, but we really appreciated the resource and we certainly didn't miss out on anything to do it.

Different strokes for different folks. I figure an hour to do the laundry. 10 minutes to pack up, walk the laundry and put them in the washer. Note the time showing on the washer, usually 45 minutes.

40 minutes later, 10 minutes to walk to the laundry and put the clothes in the drier. Note the time remaining on the drier, call it 45 minutes.

40 minutes later, walk to the laundry, remove the clothes, and perform the longest part -- folding the clothes and carrying them back to the cabin. An hour total is generous.

Now, using your figure of $50 per hour, if I send out my laundry with a bill of $50, that hour just cost me $100. I'm probably just going to read during that hour anyway, so I'll use some of it to do the laundry and save $50 (less the $4 the tokens cost :)), especially since I doubt I've spent $50 on third party laundry in my entire life, and I'm not starting now...:rolleyes:

If the ship laundry service is free, that's a different story. It's included on our World Cruise, so I'll take advantage of it, especially on Insignia, with just one launderette.

My approach is to do laundry around 5PM. Put the clothes in the washer and par-take in the 2 for 1 martinis. Before 6PM, I order 2 more and "stroll" to the laundry to move the unmentionables to the dryer. Then about 6:30 I order 2 more libations to build my courage to return to the laundry. Unfortunately, often I can't remember where it is at this point, so some assistance is often required. The other issue is trying to remember which dryer I used without inventorying all the garments in all 3 dryers. Getting caught doing inventory has led to Security asking some tough questions after 6+ martinis.

I do not mind doing our laundry on the ship and in fact, I met one of the most wonderful ladies ever that actually gets a cabin not too far from the laundry room on the Nautica and she is on her 19th cruise with Oceania.

While waiting, we met, talked, laughed at the people fighting over the washers and dryers(mostly men:D), and have maintained a wonderful friendship between the 4 of us. If you keep busy every minute of the cruise, then maybe your time is worth $50 an hour, but who cares. My friend and I do not use the laundry to save money, but because we want to. Just like some peoplle like to smoke and drink-because they want to. Everyone has their own preferences and I do not judge them or say anything unless their choices take away my rights. Live and let live. Enjoy life-it is too precious not to.

I used the self serve laundry for the first time on our last Oceania cruise which was a b2b. Our room was right down the hall from the laundry, about 3 rooms down on the 11th floor of Riviera. It was close and no problem. I did it on the turn around day and there was absolutely no on else using the machines that day. We had just changed rooms and did the laundry while we were settling into our new room. Worked out great for me. YMMV.

The best room for hearing ship gossip-- self service laundry room.

Every time I use it I am highly entertained.:D:eek:

Absolutely

I am amazed at how many men are charged with doing the laundry. I won't let my husband touch it!

My DH is well trained ..he does the laundry when required or requested to ;)

Also vacuums at home

Lyn

I run everything at our house,:o

the vacuum, the dishwasher, the washer and dryer, you get the idea. Oh, also my mouth.

In all fairness my wife does 99% of the cooking. I clean up the mess.

My DH is well trained ..he does the laundry when required or requested to ;)

Also vacuums at home

Lyn

I don't even know how to work a vacuum LOL That's my husband's domain. He is also the king of Swiffering.

But if I let my husband do the laundry it would be a disaster -- he doesn't know delicate from a towel.

Betsy does the laundry and most of the cooking at home; I figure she needs the vacation, so I do the laundry on both cruise and RV travel, and all the cooking in the RV. I wash the dishes and clean the wood floors at home; she washes the dishes in the RV.

But, I've been doing laundry since I was knee-high, and, like most men, I figure I do a better job than the ladies...:p

I run everything at our house,:o

the vacuum, the dishwasher, the washer and dryer, you get the idea. Oh, also my mouth.

In all fairness my wife does 99% of the cooking. I clean up the mess.

We share most of the chores

He cooks dinner while I read CC :D

Works out great