2015 Poor choice from Southampton

Fixit2010

Totally! Economics rules and as a shareholder so it should. Last year they had to heavily discount to get near a reasonable occupancy on the ex UK sailings so why not move to a better captive market.

Done Eclipse out of Southampton twice but I am in NO hurry to repeat the experience. 10 hour plus drive through some of the UKs worst traffic jam spots, then at least one day at the beginning and end when the good old British moaners complain about the weather.

Give me a two - three hour flight and South Europe embarkation any time - packing and being organised to get to a flight on time is not that difficult.

Fixit - I would not waste time on a petition - if you look at the community guideline it's not allowed and why should Celebrity change from a published schedule now. I suggest you express your thoughts to CelebrityUK in writing and if they are besieged by similar letters I am sure they will react for 2016 if it makes economic sense.

Good answer

ta2ysyje.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm pretty new to the whole cruise experience, so maybe it's about the size of the ships and where they can dock - but i just think the itinerary is looking a bit samey.

If we don't do Baltic next year we will have to repeat a cruise or go elsewhere - I'd have thought keep repeating the itinerary and you reduce the chance of repeat customers.

Sailing from Southampton is a waste of 4 days of the holiday, and the Bay of Biscay, say no more. Much prefer to sail from a Med port - far more enjoyable.

I agree!! our worst Med cruise sailed from Southampton. Crossing the Bay of Biscay was an unpleasant experience. To us, the best way to cruise the Med is sailing from a Med port. ;)

Some of us can no longer fly and some do not like flying, so sailing from the UK is our preferred choice.

There are plenty of fly med cruises for those who prefer that choice and I am happy for you, so why cannot you be sympathetic to us with the lack of no fly Celebrity cruises.

Some of us can no longer fly and some do not like flying, so sailing from the UK is our preferred choice.

There are plenty of fly med cruises for those who prefer that choice and I am happy for you, so why cannot you be sympathetic to us with the lack of no fly Celebrity cruises.

I'm not unsympathetic, I'm only sharing my experience after many Med cruises. We have cruised the Med and the Adriatic from Venice, Barcelona, Civitavecchia and Southampton and our worst experience was crossing the Bay of Biscay. We have cruised the Baltic from Southampton and don't have any complains about it. BTW, I live on an island which means that I have to fly to take most cruises. I just paid $2000 per person (family of four) for our flights this summer to Rome. Decided to check how much it is to fly from London to Rome, on my same dates and it is only $350. ;)

Money, money, money makes the world go round! Yes, the airfares are quite high now too. Lots of changes for Celebrity...:eek: However, Southampton is my choice for the Baltics this year, as we got a great deal while booking on our last cruise. However, as I stated above, my DH will not go to Southampton again, even though we love Norway. This is it for the pound for us...:eek: It doesn't make economical sense.

Edited by Lastdance

I am not suggesting that all cruses are from Southampton. I am just very disappointed with the choice in 2015.

For me and many others, not having to fly, not having silly baggage restrictions and none of the airport hassle is a huge plus and is a key factor in deciding on what cruise to take.

For me its about a 2 hour drive to Southampton, so perhaps you can see how much of a benefit that is.

OK the petition was just an idea. I will write to Celebrity and I hope that others that are unhappy also express their feelings to Mr Riley or similar exec.

From a personal point of view, we stay in Scotland and either face a 10 hr drive or we have to fly anyway.

We might as well fly to the Med as Southampton and it is cheaper to do so.

I do agree with you about the X obsession with Norway / Baltics.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

The itineraries posted (so far) are on the blah side. Would love a cruise that includes the Iberian Peninsula, Canary Islands,Gibraltar (obviously there are geographical limitations) as one goes east & the other west. anyone have any ideas?

carole

I have just seen the 2015 brochure.

Am I the only one not pleased about the lack of choice of cruises sailing from Southampton ?

"Celebrity ! what are you doing? It is disgraceful". I don't want to fly cruise.

The whole point of sailing from Southampton is to avoid the hassle of airports and limited luggage.

I hope the Brits do complain and make their feelings felt.

Why would any brit north of Lancashire or Yorkshire choose to complain. Much easier to get to Amsterdam or Barcelona from Edinburgh! Southampton has nothing to attract anyone to it.

Why should Celebrity pander to Brits who live within a two hour drive of Southampton? Now, if they set up a UK base port in South Queensferry that would be an attraction to many......

Why should Celebrity pander to Brits who live within a two hour drive of Southampton? Now, if they set up a UK base port in South Queensferry that would be an attraction to many......

Because there are more Brits in the South than the north.

Quoting Wiki. "The London metropolitan area is the largest in the EU with a total population of 13,614,409"

Quite simply there are more of us here. So more demand to sail from Southampton. I rest my case :)

I have just seen the 2015 brochure.

Am I the only one not pleased about the lack of choice of cruises sailing from Southampton ?

"Celebrity ! what are you doing? It is disgraceful". I don't want to fly cruise.

The whole point of sailing from Southampton is to avoid the hassle of airports and limited luggage.

I hope the Brits do complain and make their feelings felt.

Absolutely agree the cruising choice in July and August 2015 is extremely disappointing, so much so that we won't be cruising from the UK - forced in to a fly cruise for the first time since 1995! Family not pleased, but left with no choice, extra hassle of flying is not a trivial matter and ruins the relaxing start to the holiday we normally have from the UK. Also what about those who simply don't fly, or can't fly!

We had been looking forward to returning to Iceland and the Fiords, but that cruise leaves in June; so we had a choice of the Baltic, or the Baltic, if we wanted to cruise Celebrity. So disappointing.

Taking other lines cruising from the UK their itineraries also massively disappoint in 2015 and we like a ship that is not too crowded - we like Celebrity! (Grand Princess for example was fine, but put on an extra deck of cabins - Caribbean Princess, P&O Azura/ P&O Ventura style and the ship is just too crowded for the deck and public area space available. I won't compare/comment on food. facilities entertainment etc.) Yes, Celebrity has large ships but the passenger numbers to deck space work for us, pity the UK sailings just don't next year. Not a happy cruiser.

Here's hoping 2016 will see something better. Celebrity are you listening please?

Coming from a very large country, we have flown 25 out of 26 times to get to a cruiseport. I feel that many Brits are very lucky to have a cruiseport within driving distance. Celebrity is not in business to change their itinerary each year to provide different places for you to visit. We fly from Boston to London each year to cruise in Europe and fly to Florida to cruise in the Caribbean. I understand the inconveniences of flying, but sometimes that is what you just have to do.

And looking at the British Isles cruise. Why does it start from Amsterdam? What a daft idea. If it started and finished from Southampton (or Liverpool) it would make life so much easier again with no flying.

Some of us Americans feel your pain. We were planning a British Isles cruise for next year and were looking forward to a few days pre/post cruise in England. Not happy about having to sail from Amsterdam, but we have not marked it off our list just yet!

Because there are more Brits in the South than the north.

Quoting Wiki. "The London metropolitan area is the largest in the EU with a total population of 13,614,409"

Quite simply there are more of us here. So more demand to sail from Southampton. I rest my case :)

Too bad Celebrity has the last say whether we like it or not...their case also rests!

Purely and simply economics 101!:)

What's different about Southampton? If you live in Canada, Vancouver itineraries are the same year in year out, if you travel to New York, it's the same unless you change cruiseline.

So the choice is, fly, change cruise line or accept what is offered - harsh I know but We are but a microgram in the consumer dust cloud

What's different about Southampton? If you live in Canada, Vancouver itineraries are the same year in year out, if you travel to New York, it's the same unless you change cruiseline.

So the choice is, fly, change cruise line or accept what is offered - harsh I know but We are but a microgram in the consumer dust cloud

The difference is that X has changed its itineraries this year, it is overloaded with Baltic cruises and only has one Med cruise, which is outside school hols.

If they had to change why not some more varied Med ports rather than the same tired old ones.

Just for those who only skim read the posts, some people cannot fly so keeping commenting that you should consider a fly cruise if you are unhappy is not an option.

The difference is that X has changed its itineraries this year, it is overloaded with Baltic cruises and only has one Med cruise, which is outside school hols.

If they had to change why not some more varied Med ports rather than the same tired old ones.

Just for those who only skim read the posts, some people cannot fly so keeping commenting that you should consider a fly cruise if you are unhappy is not an option.

exactly.

Each year we look to sail X but have to agree that it is the same old itineraries year after year - no imagination at all. We have found Princess have more unusual ports and itineraries,but they too are steering towards 7/10 day b2b's - back and forth, back and forth. Our long haul days are coming to an end and would like to no fly,but that seems to be a big ask. At the rate the cruise lines are going, there will be no difference with any of them as they're all chasing the same passenger and think we all want the same old places.

The itineraries posted (so far) are on the blah side. Would love a cruise that includes the Iberian Peninsula, Canary Islands,Gibraltar (obviously there are geographical limitations) as one goes east & the other west. anyone have any ideas?

carole

I would suggest that you look at Eclipse, the Canaries and Azores at the end of September 2015.

We did a TA last year that went via the Bay of Biscay- never again and I consider myself to be a good sailor, I am never ill, but I felt decidedly uncomfortable, being thrown up and down the bed, as the ship rolled. I decided that I was partly to blame, as I had booked a cabin in the stern of the ship, instead of mid-ships.

I would not discount Constellation being moved to UK in the future, as she was in 2012. There was unrest in Egypt and she was moved to Harwich, to do the wine cruises.

Now we have unrest in Ukraine and Crimea, where Constellation has Black Sea itineraries in 2015??:confused:

Edited by upwarduk

Would love to do the Canaries in Sept but its term time. Another reason that the usual med cruises in early - mid Aug were such a great idea. Sure we have done the med time and time again, but there are some places i could keep going back to for the day and also have no airport. You can't tire of the med sun and the feel good factor that comes with it.

You can always take a train to Mediterranean ports, cannot do that from NA ;)

Why should X, or any cruiseline for that matter, pander to the tiny minority who "cannot fly". As the most recent poster reminded us, you do not need to fly to get to Med ports from the UK!:cool:

You can always take a train to Mediterranean ports, cannot do that from NA ;)

Why should X, or any cruiseline for that matter, pander to the tiny minority who "cannot fly". As the most recent poster reminded us, you do not need to fly to get to Med ports from the UK!:cool:

I don't want any cruise line to "pander" to my no fly taste, any more than they should pander to those that do prefer to fly.

And thankyou to you both for the suggestion I take a train to the Med. I am not sure if you have ever tried to take a wheelchair on a train, or attempted to use the bathroom facilities when you have no use in one arm and leg, and the train is jerking about at high speed. If you have well done.

So can I please ask you to assume in future that most posters have genuine reasons for their preferred form of cruise, and if you have no positive contribution to make to the thread, why not say nothing.

I don't think its a tiny minority. I think its a big section of the market that also believe sailing from the UK is their preferred choice. It is the minority that complain about travelling to Southampton.

The big plus is not having to fly. Not having to wait in an airport, lose 2 days travelling back and forth, the delays, the security (which is needed and justified) the restrictions on allowances, especially for 2 weeks. I don't think those who are used to flying are aware just how much of a plus it is, to be able to load up the car with what you need and drive to the port.

A lot of you forget that us Brits pay more for a cruise than our USA friends. Your flights are cheaper and you get cruise only deals at better prices than us. When we have to travel to the USA and cruise it is a lot more expensive for us.

Celebrity are not pandering to our needs. Celebrity needs to meet the demands by its customers. I don't care about Celebrity's profit margins, I'm not a share holder and I am not paid to worry about the logistics of the company. I am here to enjoy 2 weeks in the sun on a 5 star ship. If me and my fellow Brits like to sail from the UK in the summer to destinations and times that we like then its for Celebrity to listen to us.

I can see that I am not alone feeling 2015 is pretty poor.

I don't think its a tiny minority. I think its a big section of the market that also believe sailing from the UK is their preferred choice. It is the minority that complain about travelling to Southampton.

The big plus is not having to fly. Not having to wait in an airport, lose 2 days travelling back and forth, the delays, the security (which is needed and justified) the restrictions on allowances, especially for 2 weeks. I don't think those who are used to flying are aware just how much of a plus it is, to be able to load up the car with what you need and drive to the port.

A lot of you forget that us Brits pay more for a cruise than our USA friends. Your flights are cheaper and you get cruise only deals at better prices than us. When we have to travel to the USA and cruise it is a lot more expensive for us.

Celebrity are not pandering to our needs. Celebrity needs to meet the demands by its customers. I don't care about Celebrity's profit margins, I'm not a share holder and I am not paid to worry about the logistics of the company. I am here to enjoy 2 weeks in the sun on a 5 star ship. If me and my fellow Brits like to sail from the UK in the summer to destinations and times that we like then its for Celebrity to listen to us.

I can see that I am not alone feeling 2015 is pretty poor.

Its not just my Brit friends. I live in NYC would be so easier to drive to a pier and cruise to the caribbean. Unfortunately the majority of cruises to that area (in cold weather months) are from Florida.

As for itineraries I would love some variation and longer port (overnight) stays.

Carole