Spending a Day on St. John

Host Anne

skiier... typical island tour is about 90 minutes - 2 hours. Yes, all the taxis at the ferry dock offer island tours. Cost is about $25 - $30 per person. If you've never been, it's a great way to get a nice overview. You won't have a taxi to yourself. They are safari taxis that hold 10 - 20 people but they fill quickly so there isn't a long wait.

Let me know if you have other questions.

Goodtogo ... unfortunately, we are not on this sailing. A business meeting out west caused us to skip this year's post thanksgiving cruise. We are sailing Silhouette in January. :(

You are welcome to email me at Hostanne@cruisecritic.com and I'll be happy to chat about sailing abroad. It's AWESOME!

skiier... typical island tour is about 90 minutes - 2 hours. Yes, all the taxis at the ferry dock offer island tours. Cost is about $25 - $30 per person. If you've never been, it's a great way to get a nice overview. You won't have a taxi to yourself. They are safari taxis that hold 10 - 20 people but they fill quickly so there isn't a long wait.

Let me know if you have other questions.

thanks so much!

Skiergirl many ppl do enjoy a tour of the north coast of STJ with a taxi driver as mentioned, the drivers are lined up waiting for you. Some folks will stay with the taxi for the short tour (~$25pp) and then get dropped at a beach or back in Cruz Bay to shop and lunch, others will choose to get dropped at the beach and not take the tour. You are in port for 9.5 hours so you could, like others, enjoy that tour then return to STT and take a mini island tour and then have a late lunch in Frenchtown, or perhaps. Spend a couple hours at Sapphire. But that is a busier day, and more suitable for someone not caring to spend much time at a beach.

There are only 2 other ships scheduled to be in port with you (~9,200 fellow cruisers) so you are there on a relatively quiet day. Going to STJ and seeing the beaches and coastline is a good choice on even a very busy day, and if you decide to return to Red Hook and have a taxi there show you some sights enroute back to the port that is an option. Otherwise just enjoy Cinnamon or another beach less crowded than Trunk and you can see some of STT on the taxi back from Red Hook to port. But I'd recommend a taxi to Red Hook and the short ferry from there so you can see some of STT too, and that also gives you the most flexibility.

Edited by blue_water

Skiergirl many ppl do enjoy a tour of the north coast of STJ with a taxi driver as mentioned, the drivers are lined up waiting for you. Some folks will stay with the taxi for the short tour (~$25pp) and then get dropped at a beach or back in Cruz Bay to shop and lunch, others will choose to get dropped at the beach and not take the tour. You are in port for 9.5 hours so you could, like others, enjoy that tour then return to STT and take a mini island tour and then have a late lunch in Frenchtown, or perhaps. Spend a couple hours at Sapphire. But that is a busier day, and more suitable for someone not caring to spend much time at a beach.

There are only 2 other ships scheduled to be in port with you (~9,200 fellow cruisers) so you are there on a relatively quiet day. Going to STJ and seeing the beaches and coastline is a good choice on even a very busy day, and if you decide to return to Red Hook and have a taxi there show you some sights enroute back to the port that is an option. Otherwise just enjoy Cinnamon or another beach less crowded than Trunk and you can see some of STT on the taxi back from Red Hook to port. But I'd recommend a taxi to Red Hook and the short ferry from there so you can see some of STT too, and that also gives you the most flexibility.

Thanks so much. We have done the St T island tour....could probably give it! Lol. Can't drive bit could probably narrate! Lol. However, in all of our times we have never been to St J so trying to talk Mr SKi in to that this time.....trying to keep him out of jewelry stores!

Are there places for lunch on the beaches? What is the best restaurant in Cruz Bay?

Edited by skiiergirl

There are very nice jewelry stores on St John, and the jewelry is more creative, imo.

There is no one "best" restaurant for everybody. For continental cuisine, I like Cruz Bay Landing. For local food I like De Coal Pot.

St John is truly beautiful, and you'll regret it if you don't tour it.

There's a snack bar at Trunk Bay, a so so restaurant at Cinnamon, a nice restautant at Caneel, and a nice restaurant at the Westin

We've been to St John several times and absolutely love it! We're doing Royal's "St John on your own" so that we can get there quickly, have some beach time, and spend some time in town. We've done some of the beaches, but wanted to try Caneel this time. I understand that we take a cab to the resort, then walk a short path to the beach. Is this correct? I don't want to waste one second of our time on St John...

Edited by ciera123

I had heard that you can't, understandably, use their chairs. I've also heard that the beach itself, or an area of it, is not private. I knew you guys would have answers for me, thanks!!! Honeymoon Beach is one we've been to and loved, so that would be fine with us. The reason we thought about Caneel is that its closer to town and would give us a little more time to look around.

Edited by ciera123

I don't think that it's private, but I think they have intimidating security that makes you feel unwelcome. It may depend, though, on the security person. You can always try, and if not, just walk the trail from Caneel to Honeymoon. Easy 8 minute walk on mostly paved road.

Thanks so much. We have done the St T island tour....could probably give it! Lol. Can't drive bit could probably narrate! Lol. However, in all of our times we have never been to St J so trying to talk Mr SKi in to that this time.....trying to keep him out of jewelry stores!

Are there places for lunch on the beaches? What is the best restaurant in Cruz Bay?

ok. I thought you were asking about hitting beaches on both islands earlier, may have been someone else. :)

Best spots for lunch are in Cruz Bay, many helpful reviews on tripadvisor. We like relaxing at the Beach Bar before returning to the ferry.

We much prefer shopping Cruz Bay over Charlotte Amalie, and my wife loves her Hook bracelet she had custom-made at St John Bracelets while we visited.

ok. I thought you were asking about hitting beaches on both islands earlier, may have been someone else. :)

Best spots for lunch are in Cruz Bay, many helpful reviews on tripadvisor. We like relaxing at the Beach Bar before returning to the ferry.

We much prefer shopping Cruz Bay over Charlotte Amalie, and my wife loves her Hook bracelet she had custom-made at St John Bracelets while we visited.

Yes, must have been someone else looking to do the beaches. I truly appreciate ally of the info though!

skiier ~ lots of options for great lunches in Cruz Bay....

We like Beach Bar and High Tides - both to the right of the ferry dock and sitting above the small beach here. If you walk down to Mongoose Junction, we've enjoyed the Tap Room and lots of people really enjoy the Sun Dog Cafe (haven't eaten here myself). Mongoose is nice because you want enjoy lunch and then there are lots of shops to browse if you like that sort of thing. Same thing with the restaurants like Hide Tide. Lots of fun, funky little shops behind the restaurants to wonder.

Cruz Bay Landing is new in the past year and we haven't tried it yet.

You can't go wrong with any of these establishments. Have a wonderful time!

skiier ~ lots of options for great lunches in Cruz Bay....

We like Beach Bar and High Tides - both to the right of the ferry dock and sitting above the small beach here. If you walk down to Mongoose Junction, we've enjoyed the Tap Room and lots of people really enjoy the Sun Dog Cafe (haven't eaten here myself). Mongoose is nice because you want enjoy lunch and then there are lots of shops to browse if you like that sort of thing. Same thing with the restaurants like Hide Tide. Lots of fun, funky little shops behind the restaurants to wonder.

Cruz Bay Landing is new in the past year and we haven't tried it yet.

You can't go wrong with any of these establishments. Have a wonderful time!

Thanks!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello and thanks for all of the advice about St John on our own. Would you be kind enough to give me an idea of time on the trip from cruise port to Cinnamon Bay ( and/or back) ? I am curious as to approximately how long the taxi ride on both islands is , as well the ferry ride. I know that the time will vary, but just a general expectation would help me to put the day into perspective. Our ship is supposed to dock at 7am in St Thomas and leaves at 5 ( with the all aboard being 4:30) Thanks so much :D

Hi Tracy - lovin' your peeps! :)

☻ ♥ ☻

/♥\./█\

.||. .||

Not sure if you are docked at Crown Bay or Havensight (WICO) but the taxi from Havensight to the Red Hook ferry terminal is about 20 minutes and maybe another 10 from Crown, ferry to Cruz Bay 15 - 20 min + any wait time (the ferry departs on the hour each way), and the taxi to Cinnamon just 10 - 15 min. Going to a beach on STJ does add another 1.5 - 2 hrs of travel time but it's worth it, and you have time to enjoy it. Figure about $50pp for the trip so not much for the mini-tour of St Thomas, ferry and beach on STJ!

St Thomas is one of those islands where a self-excursion is really the way to go. Have a great cruise! :)

Hi Tracy - lovin' your peeps! :)

☻ ♥ ☻

/♥\./█\

.||. .||

Not sure if you are docked at Crown Bay or Havensight (WICO) but the taxi from Havensight to the Red Hook ferry terminal is about 20 minutes and maybe another 10 from Crown, ferry to Cruz Bay 15 - 20 min + any wait time (the ferry departs on the hour each way), and the taxi to Cinnamon just 10 - 15 min. Going to a beach on STJ does add another 1.5 - 2 hrs of travel time but it's worth it, and you have time to enjoy it. Figure about $50pp for the trip so not much for the mini-tour of St Thomas, ferry and beach on STJ!

St Thomas is one of those islands where a self-excursion is really the way to go. Have a great cruise! :)

Thanks ! That is exactly the info that I needed !

Meant to add that you can opt for an island tour before being dropped at Cinnamon for another $25pp or so but that would obviously take time from the beach or shopping in Cruz Bay which is something we enjoy with lunch.

Gotcha. I think we will spend time and the beach and then head back to Cruz Bay for lunch and in plenty of time for the ferry. Would it ever be a concern that the ferry would be at full capacity and we would need to wait for the next ?

I don't know if it happens often or at all. But we have had to wait for a second ferry leaving Red Hook because when we drove there from where we were staying we didn't consider the number of cruisers in port that day and that they'd all be wanting the same ferry.

If I were taking the last "safe" ferry back from Cruz I would keep an eye on the line since so many other people have the same idea ;)

I read somewhere that some ship tours to St John use the public ferry instead of their own charter, so, IMO, it pays to get to the ferry dock early either coming or going. The 4 pm return is usually crowded with workers going back to STT.

This pic is trunk bay...that house is where the head ranger lives,st john is heaven on earth....I'll be on a cruise in jan and not sure I could only go for a few hours....too hard to leave!!.. very expensive to vacation there but so wonderful...I would head to cinnamon to avoid overcrowding......so many people stirring up the water makes for few fish....trunk is

.best seen very early in the am...