Anytime dining reservations

vanrrr

I meant calling in the morning for a reservation for 2 people for dinner

What phone number do I calk

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Sure glad you cleared that up.

I'm pretty sure can call the dine line from your cabin to reserve a table, but to be honest I have reserved our table just as I was leaving the dinning room on the first day. That way I know they write it down. But a few times we still had to wait for people the finish eating at our table. Our dinning time was always at 7:30 so naturally others eat earlier then us. For the most part it worked out well.

Yes, but. Most ships only accept ATD reservations for a few set times early and late which may be something like this: 5:30pm, 6:00pm, 7:30pm, 8:00pm so if you wanted to dine at say 6:30 you would not be able to make a reservation, just walk in. Also, tables for two are more difficult to get than tables to share. After boarding go to the DR and check out the situation. One DR will be open for lunch on boarding day from noon until 1:30 and then after that there will be someone at one of the DR's to field questions. All ships and even the same ship is not always the same on every voyage. A lot depends on the passenger demographic and when the passengers prefer to dine.

BTW, the dining room is not open at 2 am, but then neither is the dinning room...wherever that may be......

Commenting on spelling or grammar usage of others serves no useful purpose. We've all made errors in our posts. Doing so is also contrary to Cruise Critic Community Guidelines.

Is it possible to make a reservation for ATD for two to share a table?

Asked and answered.

Lew

The OP was asking if it's possible to call in the morning to make a reservation for two for dinner that night. I don't think he or she meant for a set time every night, but rather would call each morning and ask for a time that would fit in with the schedule of things they wanted to do in the evening.

I don't understand why people make a set dining reservation in Anytime dining. Why not just go traditional? Especially if they only let you make early or late reservations. What am I missing?

Because, for many of us, 5:30 or 6:00 is too early and 8:30 is too late. You can eat whenever you want, with a table for 2 or at a larger table, at different times each day if you choose to, depending on your mood and the day's activities. You can request a table at 7:00 or 7:30, just be polite and smile when you talk to the dining room host - more often than not, you'll get it. After all, SOMEONE is eating at those times - the tables don't just sit empty. It you want the same wait staff each night, just request it; it you want to try someone different, just request it. It's all about choices and not being locked into the same table with possibly incompatible tablemates and/or a location or wait staff you don't care for.

Edited by Kartgv

I don't understand why people make a set dining reservation in Anytime dining. Why not just go traditional? Especially if they only let you make early or late reservations. What am I missing?

On some nights we like to eat earlier or later than others. We don't like being locked in for a set time every night.

LuLu

~~~

On some nights we like to eat earlier or later than others. We don't like being locked in for a set time every night.

That's our thinking too. We'll make a reservation if there's a show we want to see. On other evenings, when we're not on a schedule, we'll just show up at the MDR with no reservation.

Lew

I meant calling in the morning for a reservation for 2 people for dinner

What phone number do I call?

No Problem. I knew what you meant.

You call the DINE LINE. There's a button on your cabin telephone marked "Dine Line" that will connect you. There will also be the number in the Patter.

It's easy. :)

LuLu

~~~

I can understand someone wanting to make a reservation for one of the speciality restaurants, but "Anytime" does not complement "Reservation".

We always front when we're ready to dine. If there are no tables for 2, we're happy to wait . An extra martini for dinner never hurts ;).

We do exactly that...reserve in anytime dining...3 or 4 different port times...sea days ....different events going on around the ship...Once we look at the Patter we plan accordingly to what we like to do...that includes our dining at different times

Related Question.....

We always try to take two vacations a year - and just came to the realization yesterday, that for our second trip (Mid December) the only cruise that works well with our work schedules is a Royal Princess. Would rather not reserve until after July, when we get back from our first trip. The ability to get Anytime Dining is a personal hot button for us. Does this option fill up?

There is a big difference between 'call ahead seating' - reservations for that day, made daily and subject to availability and people who request a standing reservation for the whole cruise.

One (the first) is in line with the way most restaurants now work, and helps the MD manage the load a little.

The other really should be reserved for situations where TD is not an option, or to resolve other issues, and that seems to be how most MDs play it.

There is also no issue with reserving a specific server, they will generally give you times that work but may not be the ones you want...

It's very rare AD fills up, but not impossible.

Given the deposit is fully refundable, why not book an inside, for a small deposit with AD then 'upgrade' in July.

Related Question.....

We always try to take two vacations a year - and just came to the realization yesterday, that for our second trip (Mid December) the only cruise that works well with our work schedules is a Royal Princess. Would rather not reserve until after July, when we get back from our first trip. The ability to get Anytime Dining is a personal hot button for us. Does this option fill up?

I'll be on the Ruby on anytime dining and wanted to know if I can call to make reservations for a time I want for 2 in the morning for the MDR

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I understood exactly what you were asking in your post. As others have said, you will probably only be able to make reservations before 6:00pm or after 7:30pm. They did not budge of this even when we were in a full suite. If you want a different time you will need to go to the DR. We were in an area with several table for two on the Grand and many times the diners were finished by 6:30 or even earlier so table will open up.

We like to eat by 6:00pm and can make reservations in the ATD at that time. We will usually eat in a specialty DR at least once per week and on late port days we may be too late for our TD time. We also just have a light dinner in the HC (yes it can be done :eek:) once in a while. Our spots in TD will go unused 2-3 times per week and that doesn't seem fair to let space go unused. We make reservations for a particular table so that we can have the same waitstaff when we are in ATD. We now have some dietary issues and it is easier to work with the same waitstaff and head waiter. Edited by IECalCruiser

I'm always amused (or perhaps a little annoyed) that Traditional Diners consistently question why Any Time Diners would want to make a reservation for dinner. We never hear Any Time Diners question why anyone would want to eat dinner as early as 5:30 or as late as 8:30 but for some reason the idea of wanting to dine at a time that fits in with the schedule for each particular day and to make a reservation for that time so you don't have to wait for a table is hard for some to understand. It's just a matter of personal preference.

It's very rare AD fills up, but not impossible.

Given the deposit is fully refundable, why not book an inside, for a small deposit with AD then 'upgrade' in July.

I believe that AD is the default, everyone not in TD is assigned AD. It doesn't fill up in that sense.