Smart Casual vs Formal

mcrcruiser

I have seen people in shorts and t-shirts in the MDR on Solstice on formal nights. It used to bother me as I sat there in my tux. But at some point I realized it's not about them. It's about me. And if I dress nicely with my family for dinner and we enjoy that, who cares what anyone else does? For my upcoming Silhoutte sailing I plan to wear a suit with open collar on formal nights. That's formal enough and feels right for this trip. On QM2 I wear a suit every night and a tux on formal nights. Once you realize it's about you and not the other passengers it gets a lot easier.

This is the most reasonable thing that I have ever read when discussing dress code! :)

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Prior to our March 8th cruise on the Reflection, I got involved in one of these passionate discussions on these boards around the dress code. I stated that I would be going to formal night in one of my professional dresses that I enhance with jewellery etc. I also said that my husband would be going in grey pants, a navy sport jacket, dress shirt and a tie. I was criticized by many on these boards and told to go to an alternate venue for dinner as professional dress is different than formal dress.

Prior to dinner on the first formal night while having a glass of wine at Cellar Masters, Rachel (who was helping to host the Captain's table), came over to me to tell me how lovely my dress looked ... my professional dress!!! The same thing happened the 2nd formal night ... the night I wore my simple black dress. As for my husband, his attire was more than appropriate. In fact, one of the senior officers talked to us after dinner and said that shirts and ties are no longer necessary. A sport jacket with a polo shirt or casual shirt underneath are appropriate for the formal night.

Thank goodness I did not listen to the negativity and criticism on here and instead I used my own good judgement which appears to be supported by Celebrity.

Here! Here! This is exactly what I experienced last week on the Summit. Thanks for stating it so eloquently.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Formal applies to the MDR only. Why should someone pick another cruise line? Some cruisers never step foot in the MDR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are right. Poor job of communicating on my part. I meant that I don't understand those who book a cruise with formal nights and then complain about them when there are so many alternatives.

There are many reasons why someone may choose to dress casually yet still dine in the MDR on formal nights - some are good, some not so good. I was once scoffed at for suggesting that there may be medical reasons for some people yet we have seen just such an example in this thread.

My suggestion would be if you see someone dressed inappropriately perhaps you should just do the polite thing and assume they have a good reason for it, even if you suspect you may disagree with it.

Prior to dinner on the first formal night while having a glass of wine at Cellar Masters, Rachel (who was helping to host the Captain's table), came over to me to tell me how lovely my dress looked ... my professional dress!!! The same thing happened the 2nd formal night ... the night I wore my simple black dress. As for my husband, his attire was more than appropriate. In fact, one of the senior officers talked to us after dinner and said that shirts and ties are no longer necessary. A sport jacket with a polo shirt or casual shirt underneath are appropriate for the formal night.

Thank goodness I did not listen to the negativity and criticism on here and instead I used my own good judgement which appears to be supported by Celebrity.

Exactly ... so why call it Formal when it is now not really Formal?

Things are what they are now and I'm happy to go with it and like you use my own best judgement .

Good for you! :)

LuLu

~~~

I like to dress up for every evening of every vacation whether its on a cruise or land based vacation and love formal nights in my full length gown with my husband in his full kilt outfit . Maybe its because we are Scottish and we just like to look braw :D

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

Prior to our March 8th cruise on the Reflection, I got involved in one of these passionate discussions on these boards around the dress code. I stated that I would be going to formal night in one of my professional dresses that I enhance with jewellery etc. I also said that my husband would be going in grey pants, a navy sport jacket, dress shirt and a tie. I was criticized by many on these boards and told to go to an alternate venue for dinner as professional dress is different than formal dress.

Thank you! I have booked our first cruise on the Equinox in December and all the threads and posts about how to dress have been driving me nuts. I will rely on my own good judgement and common sense!

Country Casual for men no shorts or bathing suits but long pressed slacks ,can wear short or long sleeve shirt(no tank tops or T shirts ) & no tie needed & shoes .No flip flops or open toed sandals

Why not flip flops and tank tops? Using your logic..."I feel it should be of personal choice & not mandated by any cruise line .Vacation is for relaxation inho" so why not flip flops, tank tanks, bathing suits, ripped jeans, pajama bottoms...on and on and on...

We get little reason to dress up at home. To wear a tux on a cruise is special and my DW warring a long dress is spectacular. We are in our mid 40's so in a fairly young demographic for celebrity cruisers. The formal nights are special and t would be sad if they were lost.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk

There was a time on Celebrity when it was Formal all evening and even on Smart Casual evenings no shorts after 6 PM except on Lido Deck.

No April Fool thing ... really true.

Once back then on Zenith, DH was in shorts bringing some drinks back to our cabin for us to have while we were dressing at 5:55 and people would tell him in a joking way he only had 5 minutes. :D

LuLu

~~~~

Actually you mention the Lido deck which is the buffet, there was a time when you could not go in shorts to the buffet because they did not have an evening buffet. You ate in the dining room or in your room but those days are long gone. Celebrity gives you enough choices to please everyone.

Still think they won't change formal nights because it is an incentive for many to go to the Specialty restaurants on those nights and thus, Celebrity makes more money.

Edited by dkjretired

I do not judge people on how they dress. I am much more concerned with the way they behave and treat others. I have met some people very casually dressed that have been the nicest kindest people who are fun to be around and equally I have met some people dressed in black tie and long gowns who have been the rudest, condescending ignorant people I have ever had the misfortune to meet.

On a cruise sometimes I dress up if I feel like doing it and sometimes I don't. I don't care if anyone thinks I am over or under dressed. I dress to suit myself and how I am feeling.

You have all heard the saying " don't judge a book by it's cover " clothes are only the bodies cover and the real personality will always shine through.

I can give you a perfect example of what you are discussing. Years ago on a cruise a very nice gentlemen sat at a table next to us and for the entire cruise he did not get his luggage. His wife did but he did not, good point in cross packing but that's another story. He was a very, very large man and the ship did not have any clothes that fit him. He took everything in stride and had a great cruise in pretty much the same clothes.

In contrast there was a woman nearby in the dining room who was just beside herself every night because of the way he dressed even when she found out his circumstances. She did not want him in the dining room.

Who would you rather spend time with on the cruise....

On a similar but a bit different subject, I don't judge anyone who may be wearing shorts in the dining room because I don't know their circumstances. Did they get their luggage, was it dropped in the ocean which has happened, I just don't care.

Edited by dkjretired

I can give you a perfect example of what you are discussing. Years ago on a cruise a very nice gentlemen sat at a table next to us and for the entire cruise he did not get his luggage. His wife did but he did not, good point in cross packing but that's another story. He was a very, very large man and the ship did not have any clothes that fit him. He took everything in stride and had a great cruise in pretty much the same clothes.

In contrast there was a woman nearby in the dining room who was just beside herself every night because of the way he dressed even when she found out his circumstances. She did not want him in the dining room.

Who would you rather spend time with on the cruise....

On a similar but a bit different subject, I don't judge anyone who may be wearing shorts in the dining room because I don't know their circumstances. Did they get their luggage, was it dropped in the ocean which has happened, I just don't care.

This is exactly what happened to a couple from Canada that we met last week at the Sunset Bar. She never received her luggage for her B2B cruise and she was amazed at the snarky looks she got every night in the MDR from other passengers.

Thank you JudyU. My DH & I snatched a last minute deal. However, getting to FLA from KY is an ordeal and so expensive. Cheap flight is no longer cheap so we will have to be cautious on packing. We have sailed many times and after I shared some of these comments I think he regretted this trip.

We have never been turned away without tux or formal gowns. I am leaving beaded gowns @ home this time. NO shorts ever in the MDR for us.

Any of you receive your luggage with formal wear soaked? It is not pleasant.

Edited by tinykygal

We have to fly to take any cruise, so are restricted by weight. We add a land tour almost every time, so the issue is not paying for extra baggage, it is being able to fit our cases into a small rental car or carry them onto trains or buses.

That being said, we do comply with the dress code - I take a black dress with a selection of wraps and jewellery, and DH takes a dark suit which has more uses on land than a tuxedo does.

I would be very happy if formal nights were done away with, but until they are we will comply and eat in the MDR. It really doesn't bother me what other people wear as long as they are clean and well mannered. Maybe they don't enjoy eating in a buffet at night any more than I do.

Sheila

It will be interesting to see what happens with the dress codes once the suite passengers get their own dining room.

I have not heard anything but am guessing that the suite dining room is likely to be formal optional, like Blu.

It will be interesting to see what happens with the dress codes once the suite passengers get their own dining room.

I have not heard anything but am guessing that the suite dining room is likely to be formal optional, like Blu.

I would assume you're correct - given that they announced formal required for The Grande but nothing specific was said about the suite dining room, except the general "smart casual" for all main dining rooms.

Left Equinox on 3/14 after a very nice 11 day cruise, but I was very surprised to see shorts in the MDR on smart casual nights and a man in a polo shirt and jeans on formal night! If I don't feel like complying with the dress code, I don't go to the MDR. Why are people allowed in the MDR dressed inappropriately? Why do people do it when they know they shouldn't?

We have to fly to take any cruise, so are restricted by weight. We add a land tour almost every time, so the issue is not paying for extra baggage, it is being able to fit our cases into a small rental car or carry them onto trains or buses.

That being said, we do comply with the dress code - I take a black dress with a selection of wraps and jewellery, and DH takes a dark suit which has more uses on land than a tuxedo does.

I would be very happy if formal nights were done away with, but until they are we will comply and eat in the MDR. It really doesn't bother me what other people wear as long as they are clean and well mannered. Maybe they don't enjoy eating in a buffet at night any more than I do.

Sheila

I wholeheartedly agree! :)

I have seen people in shorts and t-shirts in the MDR on Solstice on formal nights. It used to bother me as I sat there in my tux. But at some point I realized it's not about them. It's about me. And if I dress nicely with my family for dinner and we enjoy that, who cares what anyone else does? For my upcoming Silhoutte sailing I plan to wear a suit with open collar on formal nights. That's formal enough and feels right for this trip. On QM2 I wear a suit every night and a tux on formal nights. Once you realize it's about you and not the other passengers it gets a lot easier.

Love this! So, so true!

Left Equinox on 3/14 after a very nice 11 day cruise, but I was very surprised to see shorts in the MDR on smart casual nights and a man in a polo shirt and jeans on formal night! If I don't feel like complying with the dress code, I don't go to the MDR. Why are people allowed in the MDR dressed inappropriately? Why do people do it when they know they shouldn't?

Are you aware that Jeans are permitted on smart casual nights, have been for a few years...

We disembarked from the Summit on March 29. Dress codes were not enforced at all. I was trying to find men in tuxes on formal nights and came up with a grand total of five during the time I was searching. In Select Dining there were an equal number of men without jackets as those with jackets. Quite a few men were wearing golf shirts and dockers. Looking down at the lower level where traditional dining was taking place, there were a greater number of men in jackets as compared to Select, but still men without jackets. Women also were less dressed up on these nights than what I've observed on past cruises.

This particular sailing had the majority of passengers under 60. There were also many more school aged children than I expected to see during the last week of March. I didn't observe any people in the college spring break category.

I totally agree. I used to pack one outfit for dinner and one for after dinner. With luggage restrictions on planes now days, that's just not possible anymore. Just be comfortable.