Has your luggage ever been seriously delayed on first day of cruise?

tbmrt

Thankfully, we've always received our luggage promptly on prior cruises, usually before muster time.

Hopefully I'm not jinxing us by writing this post.

Has your luggage ever been seriously delayed the first day of cruise? Reasons?

(Just curious)

Barbara

We have had luggage missing on several occasions mostly related to errors when we had a plane change on route.

I always have a clean outfit, underwear, socks and an extra pair of shoes in my carry-on. If going on a cruise, I would also include an appropriate outfit for dinner.

I went a week without my luggage once on an African Safari due to a mix-up with the tour company as to the description of the luggage and then once it was located, they had a hard time catching up to me.

I rarely get my luggage before dinner. Latest we have ever gotten it was 10 pm. I had to go to the naughty room once because I had packed my wine rather than carrying it on. They said it was to prove that I was over 21. Once I appeared they never asked to see my ID. :rolleyes:

Our very 1st cruise to Alaska: luggage NEVER showed up. HA! We got it two weeks after we were home. Incredible. But we had a blast. I learned how freeing it was to pack light. Well...since light for us meant NOTHING. Princess let us rent tuxes for free, shoes included. They really took care of us in so many ways which is why we will still cruise with them, even though Celebrity is our top choice now. We had fun buying new clothes in Vancouver before we sailed, but we didn't buy quite enough because we had the idea that the luggage would show up eventually. And it didn't. I learned a lot about letting go on that trip.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Did a 40 day Trans-Pacific on the Milly last year, and found out our luggage was in Beijing, will we where at embarkation in Hong Kong. Long story short, it showed up minutes before the ropes where released.

On RC our luggage didn't show up till 10pm. It was very annoying reqlly as we desperately wanted to get changed for dinner and freshen up. I really hope it's never that late again. This time we are going CC so with luck the luggage will be much quicker.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Because we drive to our ports we are most often handing our luggage over to the porters by 10:30 or so, which means that our suitcases are usually at our cabin just after muster and sometimes even earlier. On our Explorer of the Seas cruise a few months ago our luggage didn't even begin arriving until after 8 PM.....and we were in the first group to board the ship! At 11 PM we went looking for my husband's suitcase which we eventually found on our deck but in a stairwell at the other end of the ship! We later learned that there had been a big influx of new crew for our sailing, so maybe this had something to do with it. We don't smuggle anything and all of the luggage tags were still on the suitcases. Although this was out of the ordinary for us we were just glad to see that we did finally get all of our luggage!

Changing planes has been our problem. Once on a Seabourn cruise when we were leaving in a snowstorm to eventually get to Costa Rica via Florida, we made the connection, but our luggage didn't. It did show up the next morning, however. Then on one Celebrity transatlantic, everything came except for the small bag that had my underthings and all my shoes! In this case we had changed planes in Iceland. We had flown in a day early, so I had time to shop in England and pick up a few things before we boarded. The bag eventually found us a week later in Vigo, Spain. Finally, on another Celebrity transatlantic leaving from Barcelona, my bags made it , but DH's were missing (changed planes in Rome) Again, we had flown in a day early, and the missing bags appeared just before boarding. We now try to do non-stops if at all possible!

Our daughters luggage was delayed by the airline, and didn't make it on board until the next port day (2 days later). We managed to buy her new clothes, although we were insured and could spend $500, she did all her shopping at senior frogs!! Since then, I pack a change of clothes for each in each of the suitcases, just in case one goes missing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

yes, about 10 years ago we arrived in Miami and one case was missing. It arrived about 3 days later which was a bit of a pain but at least in MiAmi I was able to quickly buy some essentials and we managed.

One note to Anyone this happens to the insurance companies don't pay out a lot so don't go buying formal wear etc!!

oh my god. I'm knocking on wood but I've never had lost luggage.

that being said, thanks to the suggestion above about splitting clothes up between suitcases - I always do hubby in one and mine in the other, but it makes sense to mix them up.

I think I will try to do that with mine and gramps luggage in June. We are definitely going to have 1 stop for our flight to France. eeeeeeek.

I was trying to see if I could pack in a carryon - but I don't think I'm physically capable of that for a cruuuuuuuise :D

Well, seems like there are two separate discussions going on - (1) your bags are delayed by the airline prior to boarding, and may or may not be sent to a subsequent port, and (2) it just takes a while for the ship's crew to deliver the bags to your stateroom.

Our last med cruise we had no luggage for 22 days. Lufthansa baggage handlers were on strike the day before and Frankfurt airport was a luggage zoo. It was found about half way through our cruise at the first hotel we stayed at in Paris. We got it back the last night of our 3 week vacation

On a Cunard cruise last year Hong Kong to Singapore my lugggage was lost completely. As the biggest size clothes in HK were UK8 it was nigh on impossible to get replacement clothing but I was better off than a very large lady who could get nothing at all and had to have tablecloths sewn together to make a toga!

My son didn't get his luggage until late the second day. The people in the cabin next to him thought it was their bag and put it in their room. To this day, I do not understand how you can't notice an extra suitcase in your cabin for two days.....

On our last cruise, February 23rd out of Galveston. A couple at our table in the MDR drove from northern Louisana toward Galveston on Saturday. Spent the night in a town about 100 miles from the port. Took only small tote bag into the motel for the night, leaving their luggage in their Brand New Ford 250 pickup. Next morning, no truck. This is Sunday, day of sailing. Called police, called family, etc. End of story, they made the ship.

They were the nicest couple. They only were able to buy 2 sundresses and flip flops for her and shorts and a couple shirts for him. Hard to find summer clothes in a small town where you don't know where stores are and in February. She said they had brand new clothes with the tags still on -- all their dress clothes were gone.

They made the best of it and were determined the theft was not going to ruin their vacation

I hope if it ever happens to me, I have the grace and good humor to deal with it like they did.

Margee