Are Neptune suites worth it?

cricri7

Wonder if anyone staying in a Neptune has had the nerve to ask the concierge to remove the HSC? That would take a lot of ba.., er, make that nerve!

This sort of happened on our last cruise on the last day. While waiting in line at the PG for the "Suite Luncheon" a lady (who was in Neptune Suite) ran up the stairs from the Front Office area proclaiming something like "guess what - I just found out you can remove the HSC from your bill! They just did it for me at the Front Desk in case anyone else wants to go down there!" Someone asked if she had to give a reason or what was her reason or something like that. Anyway, she replied "well $12 is way to much tip for these guys. I told them I would pay no more than $5. That seems generous to me." :eek:

FYI - I could not speak. No words came out of my mouth! I absolutely did not know what to say. Poor DH was holding his breath that I wouldn't start a big dissertation about the subject. Instead I was left speechless.

This sort of happened on our last cruise on the last day. While waiting in line at the PG for the "Suite Luncheon" a lady (who was in Neptune Suite) ran up the stairs from the Front Office area proclaiming something like "guess what - I just found out you can remove the HSC from your bill! They just did it for me at the Front Desk in case anyone else wants to go down there!" Someone asked if she had to give a reason or what was her reason or something like that. Anyway, she replied "well $12 is way to much tip for these guys. I told them I would pay no more than $5. That seems generous to me." :eek:

FYI - I could not speak. No words came out of my mouth! I absolutely did not know what to say. Poor DH was holding his breath that I wouldn't start a big dissertation about the subject. Instead I was left speechless.

Unreal. I had a couple at my dining table when I used to do traditional. They were in a Neptune suite and they were mad at Hal about something that went wrong on a shorex. They decided they were going to get back at Hal by removing the hsc. They went into great detail about how anyone can remove it. I hope karma comes back and bites those people hard.

I can't understand people who want the service but don't want to pay for it! The staff on the ship work so hard that they deserve what they are given to them. They make the sacrifice of being away from their family to provide for them. I would never think of taking the gratuities away unless something really bad happened during my cruise!

I decided against the Neptune suite even if it appeals to the side I have that likes to travel in style...haha....I booked a guaranteed balcony for myself and one for my parents and they will be deciding tomorrow if they are joining me or not. They are getting older, in their seventies, so they know that it may be one last occasion to travel with me in May since I am on sabbatical. I won't have another one soon.

My travel agent said that I would get a beverage card but she did not have the details since she was working late at night from home. Does anyone know something about that promotion? Is it 50$ for the whole cruise or 50$ per day?

• 10 months later...

I am a single woman who lives alone and is very independent. I have single friend like me with whom I travel. Because neither of us are use to sharing a room with someone, we have found the spaciousness of Neptune Suites quite nice; and, I got to tell you we also like the free laundry, Neptune Lounge and Pinnacle Grill. But, the size of the stateroom is a real plus.

We are about to sail on 34 night Rotterdam from Singapore and have chosen to a verandah rather than Neptune suite (have stayed in Neptune suites on Zuiderdam around six times). Here are the reasons for not paying the extra:

1) Neptune suites on the Rotterdam do not appear to have a walk in shower (shower is in bath).

2) We would like to get around the ship more, chat to people in the library, at the pools in the bars, in general get out and about rather than migrate to the Neptune lounge (nice as it is).

3) It's too easy to stay in that nice big cabin with the lovely balcony - again, we want to mix more - stake out a place on the ship in a different location.

4) The concierge staff are lovely but the front desk staff are (in general) very pleasant and helpful also.

5) It is nice to meet the captain etc. but it is a bit like a work function; still we probably will miss that.

6) Won't miss the Pinnacle for breakfast (very happy to stay in bed and not worry about closing time) - and happy to miss out on picking up all those extra sweets in the Neptune lounge (especially since we now have diabetes).

7) Yes, I guess we will miss the wonderful "special" feeling on embarkation and the Neptune lounge is great if the cabins are delayed - but on the other hand, it passes quickly and we have no problem hanging out somewhere else - might even buy a glass of sparkling wine (at tiny percentage of Neptune premium).

8) We do like coffee/tea throughout the day and are taking a small flask to fill with hot water and make tea in room (buy coffee in library).

What will we miss? Yes, of course the extra space - not having to bump into each other six times a day - but hay ho - maybe bumping into each other will be fun!

What will we enjoy? Having some spare cash from the Neptune premium to perhaps go on another cruise.

What will we miss most of all? That completely splendid and very special final Indonesian lunch in the Pinnacle - that is really something!!!

Have fun everybody whatever cabin you are in. We have had insides/outsides/verandahs and suites. But seeing everything and having everything is not the same thing as a good time - chill out and relax being at sea anywhere in the world. :)

Um, I have to ask why is that worth thousands of dollars per cruise-week? We cruised a few weeks ago and I did have occasion to go to the front desk twice. It was nothing. I waited less than a minute in line both times. The line was longer at one time, so I just came back a little later.

Compare this little inconvenience to how long it takes me to earn that money (answer = several work days), and I just can't see the rational. Putting it another way, the money we saved by not cruising in the Neptune Suite for a week is paying for our upcoming trip to Mallorca.

igraf

This is the way we look at things. We would prefer to go on many cruises rather than spend that much money on one cruise with special service. We are in an inside on the 35 day Voyage of the Vikings. That was pretty expensive and the NS was three times more. For about that much, we're on three nice trips this year. But I understand others feel differently and may only go on one special trip or not feel compelled to be relatively thrifty. We have a great time whatever the cabin on HAL. Have a great time, OP!

As I have said before we sail in suites pretty much for the space. We book far in advance and pay full fare for the suite we want We do like the NL as a quiet place to get coffee and a snack. We like the PG for breakfast as we really don't like busy loud dining venues. We eat in the PG every night for the same reason. We vacation once a year and we are willing to pay for the best and expect the same. Our on board account is always substantial- we normally get between 4 and 7 nights for our on board spending. I would think that we would be the type of customer the cruise lines would want to keep.

We are waiting to see how the new suite Program on Celebrity plays out. The concept looks good- anywhere dining, beverages, laundry-pretty much all inclusive. We're not big on the Butler thing- we are very private people. Give us a good room steward and a Concierge we can reach and we are fine.

As I have said before we sail in suites pretty much for the space. We book far in advance and pay full fare for the suite we want We do like the NL as a quiet place to get coffee and a snack. We like the PG for breakfast as we really don't like busy loud dining venues. We eat in the PG every night for the same reason. We vacation once a year and we are willing to pay for the best and expect the same. Our on board account is always substantial- we normally get between 4 and 7 nights for our on board spending. I would think that we would be the type of customer the cruise lines would want to keep.

We are waiting to see how the new suite Program on Celebrity plays out. The concept looks good- anywhere dining, beverages, laundry-pretty much all inclusive. We're not big on the Butler thing- we are very private people. Give us a good room steward and a Concierge we can reach and we are fine.

Agree about the butler...kind of awkward for us the time we had a suite on another line. Beautiful room, though....lots of space and service. That one was an upgrades.

We couldn't agree with you more! :)

We love the Neptune experience, although we would never book the NS outright.

As the minimum we book an SS or SY, so we often get an upsell offer at a reasonable price (200 to 300 for 7 days).

From the beginning you feel special, as the counter/booking people often seem excited for us (not the same for other cabins).

There is minimal waiting time to board the ship.

Not a perk of NS, but we eat luch in the MDR upon embarkation (the Lido is anything but relaxing).

Then we go to our suite, and revel in the spaciousness of it all. We always relegate the two chairs against the wall so we have this plethora of space in the middle (we don't have guests, so those chairs are useless).

Then we go to the Neptune Lounge for glasses of bubbly, and get to know our concierges,

Then comes more lounging in the very wide NS veranda, and unpacking.

Then down to to the Ocean bar for our salutory pre-muster drill drink.

Then up to pop open the complimentary bottle of bubbly in the NS suite for the sail off.

Further on there is the party with the ships brass, and complimentary drinks galore (well mixed---not cheaply).

I have this large thermos coffee mug to use on the most excellent coffee machine in the NL, and bring it back to the room(double decaf capuccino).

The PG breakfasts are much better than the MDR as you can ask your omelets to done with high end cheeses. You can ask for banana waffles, and any kind of breakie desire that they would hardly fulfill in the MDR.

The Indonesian lunch in the PG with free wine is just wonderful.

Of course as I love cheese, the NL has a great varity laid out at 2:30 every day, as well as a myriad of hors d`oevres and other great snacks. The lounge even has a toaster where you can get fresh hot toasts right away (try getting that in any dining room).

The free dry cleaning and laundry..pressing service means bringing less clothes on board.

As we are cabin rats, we enjoy the NS beyond measure.

Its not for everyone, but it is definitely for us.

Going on a 15 day cruise in a few weeks in an NS. Totally walking on air :)

Happy sailing to all CC readers.....

<snip>

I have this large thermos coffee mug to use on the most excellent coffee machine in the NL, and bring it back to the room(double decaf capuccino).

The PG breakfasts are much better than the MDR as you can ask your omelets to done with high end cheeses. You can ask for banana waffles, and any kind of breakie desire that they would hardly fulfill in the MDR.

Happy sailing to all CC readers.....

welcome to Cruise Critic and congrats on your wonderful upsells that you have had. I haven't been that lucky but I do longer cruises usually but you have done very well.

I am confused by the statement up above. I've never found anything in the PG that you can't get in the MDR or the Lido. You just have to ask.

The plus with me for the PG is the coffee, the staff, the quiet and yes, I do think the food might have a tad more attention. but high end cheeses? if you want them and they are available, you just have to ask.

just my experience.

For me, one of the pluses of a Neptune Suite is the PG breakfast. We really enjoy it. But, I guess we are low maintenance.

Edited by kazu

Well worth the investment. If it were up to me we'd be in one every time. You're not going to take it with you.

DH likes to penny pinch, he has relegated us to a VA.

Life it too short.

My DH isn't so much a penny pincher, but he argued for an aft Vista suite because we can see the wake of the ship from our balcony. We've seen dolphins on our past cruises, and he's hoping the wake attracts them so we can see dolphins again. For this we went Vista instead of a roomier, perk-ier Neptune Suite. I hope we see dolphins to make it worth it. Either way, we will be on a cruise! And that's all good. ;)

Lorie

That's a pleasant surprise for you, Bobbie. We just became 4 stars after our TA cruise in the fall so took advantage of the priority check in an priority disembark.

While in HMC, I felt weird about cutting in line for the priority tender service. So we waited along with everyone else.

It's too bad that HAL didn't come up with a more discreet system so that you could enjoy the priority tendering they offered to you. It sounds like you've earned your perks with a lot of cruises. I can see letting elderly and handicapped people go first, but among the able bodied you have clearly paid for many cruise days and deserve what ever perks the cruise line is willing to offer you. I hope in the future it's a little more organized so that you don't feel like you are cutting in line. Happy cruising

Lorie

====I am confused by the statement up above. I've never found anything in the PG that you can't get in the MDR or the Lido. You just have to ask.==

Right you are, but I felt more attention given in the PG. Just my impression.

Less diners, less hubub, just a great peaceful environment in the mornings..

YMMV

There is a poster on here that ripped me a new one because I dared to say Seattle gives out conflicting info. I've never noticed that poster doing it to anyone else. I can't imagine why that poster gets upset considering how often this is the case.

My husband and I have been on 4 cruises, and have our 5th coming in May, which right now feels like it's 2 years away, not 2 months from now. I have been on Cruise Critic on and off for about 7 years now. Recently though it seems like there are people who think nothing of insulting others for questions and answers they either aren't interested in (why read the thread?!) or who just want to get on and insult and belittle others for seemingly no reason other than the fact that they think the world revolves around them and their interests only. The last I knew, this IS a question and answer forum. Some people think nothing of giving first time posters a hard time, telling them their question is stupid, or that the question was answered in a thread some time ago (could be years old!) I am wondering where this all comes from? Not that everyone has always been Suzy Sunshine full of light and love, but I have seen several instances recently of people calling others alcoholics for asking pertinent SBP questions, trying to make others feels stupid or like gluttons for a simple restaurant\Room Service\Lido question...you get the idea. I have noticed this more recently, and it is discouraging to read so much nastiness and negativity on a forum that's meant to be fun and informative. So honey, it's not you. There are some holier-than-thou know-it-alls out there, and unfortunately we have to ignore them. That being said, the majority are still personable, open minded, fair, and awesome. We are looking forward to our HAL experience! We are not letting anything ruin that. Happy cruising!

Lorie

Edited by galensgrl

Correct. Priority tendering does not mean you cut in line and get in the front. It only means that you do not need a tender ticket with number, but can go right on down to the tender boarding area and then get at the end of the line. ;)

If that's considered a perk than it's lame. I'd rather go early, get a ticket with a low number, and be at the front of the line. Just my opinion.

Lorie

Edited by galensgrl

My husband and I have been on 4 cruises, and have our 5th coming in May, which right now feels like it's 2 years away, not 2 months from now. I have been on Cruise Critic on and off for about 7 years now. Recently though it seems like there are people who think nothing of insulting others for questions and answers they either aren't interested in (why read the thread?!) or who just want to get on and insult and belittle others for seemingly no reason other than the fact that they think the world revolves around them and their interests only. The last I knew, this IS a question and answer forum. Some people think nothing of giving first time posters a hard time, telling them their question is stupid, or that the question was answered in a thread some time ago (could be years old!) I am wondering where this all comes from? Not that everyone has always been Suzy Sunshine full of light and love, but I have seen several instances recently of people calling others alcoholics for asking pertinent SBP questions, trying to make others feels stupid or like gluttons for a simple restaurant\Room Service\Lido question...you get the idea. I have noticed this more recently, and it is discouraging to read so much nastiness and negativity on a forum that's meant to be fun and informative. So honey, it's not you. There are some holier-than-thou know-it-alls out there, and unfortunately we have to ignore them. That being said, the majority are still personable, open minded, fair, and awesome. We are looking forward to our HAL experience! We are not letting anything ruin that. Happy cruising!

Lorie

I am 100% behind you! You said it so eloquently and to the point! I have experienced this myself several times. I will not let this bother me at all.

I will enjoy all my HAL cruises in style.

First let me say this thread has been very helpful. Last November my wife and I celebrated a delayed honeymoon/anniversary with a Seabourn cruise in the Mediterranean. Suffice it to say it was more than special. Over the holidays I asked my 92 year old ( in good health) mother if there was somewhere she would like to go and she said without hesitation, Alaska. Ok, lots of options with a cruise being the best for us. We have 3 in a NS for less than than we paid for two on Seabourn on a late season cruise. It made more sense for us to have 3 in a room rather than separate room. The space seems more than ample. Has anyone used the fold-out bed? Does it need to be closed up to use the verandah? Many thanks.

Jim

We had a Neptune SA for Alaska on the Zuiderdam with three in the cabin (DD). You could get to the Verandah with the bed open no problem. When we got too cold to sit outside we sat inside and looked out via the large windows. The scenery of the Inside Passage is mesmerizing as you sail along.