Guy's Burger Joint on Half Moon Cay

PaulMedik

Many of us have enjoyed a Guy's Burger or two or thirty on our Carnival cruises and even though they're available on many Carnival ships they aren't available on all.....yet.

Anyhow, we're sailing next week on Carnival Pride which for now is Guyless :p , and we'd really enjoy a Guy's Burger while on Half Moon Cay. In fact, there's nothing I'd rather eat on Half Moon Cay than a Guy's Burger.

Who thinks Half Moon Cay would be even more spectacular with the addition of a Guy's Burger Joint? Personally I can't fathom a better locale for a Guy's Burger joint than Half Moon Cay; sand aplenty to catch the drippins and no worries if you spill a little on you you'll just take a quick dip in the surf to wash it off. They could even add the joint as a room off the side of Captain Morgan's shipwreck bar. Arrrrr! They be food aplenty thar matey! Grab ya some grub and buy ya some swill to wash it all down with!

Ships that have Guy's would be best suited to staff the island version, but with a little cross training I'm sure that all ships could muster a chef or two to flip some Guy's burgers on the grill and assemble the fixins.

In fact I'm sure Guy's Burgers would be easily chewed by less long in the teeth cruisers from HAL that sometimes frequent the island paradise. :eek:

**DISCLAIMER**: I am proclaiming no inside information that indicates Carnival or any other entity is planning or has even considered bestowing a Guy's Burger Joint on Half Moon Cay. I haven't read about it anywhere nor do I have any expectation that they ever will; I just think it would be a good idea. Selfishly I think it should happen this week so it will be there when come ashore two weeks from now. :D Any resemblance to any news story, accurate or dreamed up, is purely coincidental and not intended. I have received no remuneration from and have no affiliation with Guy's Burgers (Though I have a few fat cells still carrying Guy's from our last sailing).

Many animals (Mainly cows) will be harmed in the making of this burger joint, but their deaths will not be in vain; we will celebrate their lives with a toast to the great bovine protein sources they offer for our enjoyment.

Many of us have enjoyed a Guy's Burger or two or thirty on our Carnival cruises and even though they're available on many Carnival ships they aren't available on all.....yet.

Anyhow, we're sailing next week on Carnival Pride which for now is Guyless :p , and we'd really enjoy a Guy's Burger while on Half Moon Cay. In fact, there's nothing I'd rather eat on Half Moon Cay than a Guy's Burger.

Who thinks Half Moon Cay would be even more spectacular with the addition of a Guy's Burger Joint? Personally I can't fathom a better locale for a Guy's Burger joint than Half Moon Cay; sand aplenty to catch the drippins and no worries if you spill a little on you you'll just take a quick dip in the surf to wash it off. They could even add the joint as a room off the side of Captain Morgan's shipwreck bar. Arrrrr! They be food aplenty thar matey! Grab ya some grub and buy ya some swill to wash it all down with!

Ships that have Guy's would be best suited to staff the island version, but with a little cross training I'm sure that all ships could muster a chef or two to flip some Guy's burgers on the grill and assemble the fixins.

In fact I'm sure Guy's Burgers would be easily chewed by less long in the teeth cruisers from HAL that sometimes frequent the island paradise. :eek:

Yes, a Guy's Burgers on Half Moon Cay would be very nice. We were on Liberty this past January. At the BBQ on HMC the hamburgers were horrible - couldn't eat them. After having a hotdog, we tendered back to the ship for a Guy's Burger. It was quite windy & chilly that day so we chose not to stay at the beach.

Yes, a Guy's Burgers on Half Moon Cay would be very nice. We were on Liberty this past January. At the BBQ on HMC the hamburgers were horrible - couldn't eat them. After having a hotdog, we tendered back to the ship for a Guy's Burger. It was quite windy & chilly that day so we chose not to stay at the beach.

Sparky2,

Great point; the island burgers just don't have much appeal after having Guy's on board.

Will never happen because guys is a carnival cruise lines branded and half moon technically belongs to the holland american line. Though i like the idea.

KyBlueCruiser,

Carnival Corp 'technically' owns both so it would be no violation of brand that would lead to any issues.

Now that Carnival is calling on RCCL's private island I can see where it would be a problem to have a Guy's there, but the brand affiliation isn't as big a legal hurdle when it's sister brands vs competition.

The main hurdle I see is profit; if Carnival can see potential increased revenue, then it will be more likely to happen. IMO the potential for exposing more people to the taste of Guy's Burgers is profit potential; more people on Carnival's ships that don't have Guy's and people from HAL that have never heard of it that may aquire a taste for it. (Not as much there I know, but older folks sometimes prefer MORE taste vs bland, and they certainly like anything that keeps their bowels more regular).

Carnival Corp 'technically' owns both so it would be no violation of brand that would lead to any issues.

It would likely be a violation of license. Guy's is licensed for use on Carnival Cruises, not for Carnival Corp. Big ($$$$) difference.

Nice idea but won't ever happen :rolleyes:

Wrigley80,

Several decades ago the same words were uttered by skeptics who didn't think an upstart company split off from NCL could make it especially after their maiden voyage ran aground at the Mouth of Government Cut in Miami; the entertainment staff stepped in and made sure everyone had a memorable time and were able to forget that they didn't make it very far. Today some of the same ntertainment staff members from that maiden voyage are still affiliated with Carnival and they can make just about anything happen. ;)

Carnival is looking for growth and new ways to attract, keep, and thrill cruise passengers. They recently announced new builds over the next six years and alluded to the fact that older ships would be reserviced for other needs.

I'd like to see Carnival reach way back into it's past and and run an older vessel aground to create their own private oasis. ShipWreck island would be a hit and all revenue would stay in house vs outsourcing. Imagine coming upon a shipwreck in the distance all lit up with bright lights and a familiar Carnival Whale Tail looming over it all. Slides could be rerouted to splash down in a lagoon and deck parties would be all night long. Past passengers of Fantasy, Paradise, or Imagination could check out their fondly remembered old ships instead of settling for an occasional picture on the internet.

Tendering would be for other islands because ShipWreck Island would have dock space built seemingly right out of the ocean.

Want to rent a private cabana? How about renting a private balcony or suite for the day and enjoying all that service that can be so much more intimate?

Tour the bridge of ShipWreck island will be as easy as walking up the hallway and down some stairs from the slide entrance.

I have no doubt that Carnival has looked ahead and has plans for each current vessel, but it sure would be nice if they'd use them to keep Carnival alive and different from all other cruise lines by having their own nautical themed private oasis. Yeah the press would have a field day about Carnival and shipwrecks, but why avoid something you became thrown together with? Carnival prospered because they ran aground and made a great experience out of what could have been the last gasp and they can run aground now, throw down the anchor, let the sand wash in, and have a party. :)

If not, then why not? :confused:

It would likely be a violation of license. Guy's is licensed for use on Carnival Cruises, not for Carnival Corp. Big ($$$$) difference.

Irishnyc,

If they tossed some $$ at Guy I'm sure he'd comply. Guy is just like Carnival; out to make a buck. He would have no issues with Carnival Cruise Lines if he agreed to allow Carnival Corp to open a Guy's Burgers on their island. The only party that could object, assuming Guy agreed, would be Carnival Cruise lines. What are the odds of that?

Wrigley80,

Several decades ago the same words were uttered by skeptics who didn't think an upstart company split off from NCL could make it especially after their maiden voyage ran aground at the Mouth of Government Cut in Miami; the entertainment staff stepped in and made sure everyone had a memorable time and were able to forget that they didn't make it very far. Today some of the same ntertainment staff members from that maiden voyage are still affiliated with Carnival and they can make just about anything happen. ;)

Carnival is looking for growth and new ways to attract, keep, and thrill cruise passengers. They recently announced new builds over the next six years and alluded to the fact that older ships would be reserviced for other needs.

I'd like to see Carnival reach way back into it's past and and run an older vessel aground to create their own private oasis. ShipWreck island would be a hit and all revenue would stay in house vs outsourcing. Imagine coming upon a shipwreck in the distance all lit up with bright lights and a familiar Carnival Whale Tail looming over it all. Slides could be rerouted to splash down in a lagoon and deck parties would be all night long. Past passengers of Fantasy, Paradise, or Imagination could check out their fondly remembered old ships instead of settling for an occasional picture on the internet.

Tendering would be for other islands because ShipWreck Island would have dock space built seemingly right out of the ocean.

Want to rent a private cabana? How about renting a private balcony or suite for the day and enjoying all that service that can be so much more intimate?

Tour the bridge of ShipWreck island will be as easy as walking up the hallway and down some stairs from the slide entrance.

I have no doubt that Carnival has looked ahead and has plans for each current vessel, but it sure would be nice if they'd use them to keep Carnival alive and different from all other cruise lines by having their own nautical themed private oasis. Yeah the press would have a field day about Carnival and shipwrecks, but why avoid something you became thrown together with? Carnival prospered because they ran aground and made a great experience out of what could have been the last gasp and they can run aground now, throw down the anchor, let the sand wash in, and have a party. :)

If not, then why not? :confused:

Well first off because Half Moon Cay isn't owned by Carnival. It is owned by Holland America Line. Guys Burger Joint is a Carnival Cruise Line trademark.

Carnival Cruise Lines and Holland America Line are both owned by Carnival Corporation but that is a completely different entity in itself

Well first off because Half Moon Cay isn't owned by Carnival. It is owned by Holland America Line. Guys Burger Joint is a Carnival Cruise Line trademark.

Carnival Cruise Lines and Holland America Line are both owned by Carnival Corporation but that is a completely different entity in itself

Wrigley80,

I'm well aware of the corporate structure of Carnival Corp; that's what makes it possible. Objections from aggrieved parties to any relationship between Guy's Burgers and Carnival Corp could only come from Carnival Cruise Lines.

What are the odds of Carnival Cruise Lines objecting to an agreement between Carnival Corp on behalf of Holland America, opening a Guy's Burgers to provide food to both Carnival Cruise Lines and Holland American cruisers? I'm not a Vegas book maker, but I'd not bet it couldn't easily happen. Legal hurdles yes, but insurmountable hurdles no.

I work for a company that has grown and owns other similar companies. We share resources all the time; the budget of whatever department that benefits is impacted by any costs incurred, but whatever is needed is available. Umbrella corporate structure exists for the benefit of all corporations involved; not to create obstacles, but to make obstacles easier to overcome.

Edited by PaulMedik

Like me, I'm sure that many other HAL customers would agree that HMC is just fine as is. I admit that I've never had a Guy's Burger but if its is really that important you can always tender back to your ship for one. I'd much rather keep HMC as unspoiled and pristine as possible.

Wrigley80,

I'm well aware of the corporate structure of Carnival Corp; that's what makes it possible. Objections from aggrieved parties to any relationship between Guy's Burgers and Carnival Corp could only come from Carnival Cruise Lines.

What are the odds of Carnival Cruise Lines objecting to an agreement between Carnival Corp on behalf of Holland America, opening a Guy's Burgers to provide food to both Carnival Cruise Lines and Holland American cruisers? I'm not a Vegas book maker, but I'd not bet it couldn't easily happen. Legal hurdles yes, but insurmountable hurdles no.

I work for a company that has grown and owns other similar companies. We share resources all the time; the budget of whatever department that benefits is impacted by any costs incurred, but whatever is needed is available. Umbrella corporate structure exists for the benefit of all corporations involved; not to create obstacles, but to make obstacles easier to overcome.

Guy's doesn't fit in with HAL's profile. Plain and simple.

Guy's doesn't fit in with HAL's profile. Plain and simple.

I thought the same thing about Captain Morgan's Bar, but after being there a time or two since it's been running.....I'm ok with it. Guy's would be less of a change than that ship wreck was and less than the two story villas.

Like me, I'm sure that many other HAL customers would agree that HMC is just fine as is. I admit that I've never had a Guy's Burger but if its is really that important you can always tender back to your ship for one. I'd much rather keep HMC as unspoiled and pristine as possible.

zookiebird,

I can't tender back for one because Carnival Pride doesn't have a Guy's yet. :o

One can go back and forth about who controls the island and branding. Not really relevant to the feasibility of having one on the island.

Too many people and too short a period of time to serve the volume needed from a specialized stand. Picture a two hour or less access to a small size venue making hamburgers to order with one or even two ships tendering any given day. And remember that the staff and food is brought ashore with the crew; nothing is there waiting.

One can go back and forth about who controls the island and branding. Not really relevant to the feasibility of having one on the island.

Too many people and too short a period of time to serve the volume needed from a specialized stand. Picture a two hour or less access to a small size venue making hamburgers to order with one or even two ships tendering any given day. And remember that the staff and food is brought ashore with the crew; nothing is there waiting.

natty bumppo,

Those same people are fed now by supplies that are brought ashore and burgers are on the menu already; how would cooking them better and using different meat percentages have any impact on the issue?

Even though it is HAL's island, they could always add a greasy hamburger joint and name it something else. As you can tell, I'm not a fan of Guy's and my arteries thank me.

Topguy,

Good point; the name isn't as important as the taste and fixins are.

BTW, it's the simple carbs that do more damage to your arteries.

Nice idea Paul. But I'm with TopGuy in not being a big fan of Mr. SunglassesNeck.

If--and given the dissent here is rivaling that of the front-running on Michael Lewis's 60 minute book promo, that's a big if--TBTB, could agree on permitting a Guy's at HMC, what's the incentive for the man himself? Gets paid a flat licensing fee, not a % of burgers chowed down. Just like Lopez gets a licensing fee not a % of the drinks the comedians sell. And how much do they up the fee for such a short stay? He markets his spiel to fly-over-land, but get panned by the coastal foodies where his money ops are. So it's not likely that missing out on a opportunity to spill donkey sauce on the sand is gonna cause him to miss a payment on that Camero.:rolleyes:

Grab an oar matey and thrash back to the ship it your tummy hears the siren's song of grilled onions.:D

And regardless of how many Guys burgers you miss this cruise, have a great one:) I'll be calm and await the review.

Nice idea Paul. But I'm with TopGuy in not being a big fan of Mr. SunglassesNeck.

If--and given the dissent here is rivaling that of the front-running on Michael Lewis's 60 minute book promo, that's a big if--TBTB, could agree on permitting a Guy's at HMC, what's the incentive for the man himself? Gets paid a flat licensing fee, not a % of burgers chowed down. Just like Lopez gets a licensing fee not a % of the drinks the comedians sell. And how much do they up the fee for such a short stay? He markets his spiel to fly-over-land, but get panned by the coastal foodies where his money ops are. So it's not likely that missing out on a opportunity to spill donkey sauce on the sand is gonna cause him to miss a payment on that Camero.:rolleyes:

Grab an oar matey and thrash back to the ship it your tummy hears the siren's song of grilled onions.:D

And regardless of how many Guys burgers you miss this cruise, have a great one:) I'll be calm and await the review.

crewsweeper,

Even without Guy's burgers I'm sure I'll pack on a few pounds and enjoy myself. :D

It's just that I can't grab that oar and thrash back to the ship for some grilled onions because the ship has none! No Guys! Legend didn't get it and it's not guaranteed that Pride will get it later this year either....I do wish they'd be specific about upgrades other than 2.0......

The incentive for Guy is simple; reach people he would otherwise not reach. I hadn't a clue who Guy was the first time I ate a Guy's burger on Liberty after they added the joint. In fact I ate his burgers the whole week and took a picture of him on the monitor there and still didn't know who he was. :p

p553084404-4.jpg

Not a bad idea Paul, but I would not bet the ranch on it (no pun intended). What is it with the vascilation on the Fun 2.0 stuff? Me thinks s the Legend is bacause it is going to Australia (for at least part of the year), I beleive the Spirit did not get a Guy's either. We ended up changing our plans for next April dropping the pride (Vista suite) to go with a group on the Breeze (6th floor aft wrap). Enjoy the Pride double for me.