Question about food in Caribbean Ports

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="2"][COLOR="Blue"]I tried to find a topic on this, but was unable to. So, posting my question here....

They say to be careful about eating local foods & to not drink the water while in Mexico.

But what about the other countries in the Caribbean? We're going to Grand Cayman, Jamaica, Bahamas, Aruba, Antigua, St Kitts, BVI, and many more on the next four cruises we have booked......... I'd like to know if it's safe to eat what the locals eat in these places & why you shouldn't in Mexico. ???? Confused. :confused:

Thanks in advance for your valued input. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Not sure about the water quality but I've eaten plenty of food in the Bahamas from restaurants, markets, and stands and I've always been okay Never have gotten sick or anything :cool:

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

It's really just Mexico....your other ports will be ok. Mexico has NO water standards...so you don't want to drink unbottled water or use ice (since it could be made with "raw" water) or eat fresh fruits or veggies that might have been washed in "raw" water....stick to cooked foods and bottled/canned drinks, and you're fine.

That said, anyone can become sick or queasy from food they aren't used to...might not be "bad" food, but just different food! Edited by cb at sea

[quote name='cb at sea']It's really just Mexico....your other ports will be ok. Mexico has NO water standards...so you don't want to drink unbottled water or use ice (since it could be made with "raw" water) or eat fresh fruits or veggies that might have been washed in "raw" water....stick to cooked foods and bottled/canned drinks, and you're fine.

That said, anyone can become sick or queasy from food they aren't used to...might not be "bad" food, but just different food![/QUOTE]

Yes, that is what I had heard about Mexico & never eat there. Even in the terminal areas. I know it's supposed to be safe.... But I am just freaky that way. Take no chances!

But with all the upcoming adventures we have on the various islands, I thought I'd throw the question out there.... To be safe. :-)

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app Edited by SRV FAN

We 've eaten in restaurants all over the Caribbean and some in Mexico and have never ( knock wood ) gotten sick. If the place looks like it should be on Kitchen Nightmares or Restaurant Impossible I'd avoid it. Using common sense and your sense of smell should keep you safe.

[quote name='SRV FAN'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=2][COLOR=Blue]
They say to be careful about eating local foods & to not drink the water while in Mexico.

[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]

Who said that? While the tap water is certainly something to avoid, Mexico has outstanding cuisine and it would be a shame to travel to Mexico and not enjoy local cuisine. I am actually doing a land trip to Mexico later this year specifically geared around trying local cuisine. A couple restaurants in Mexico (Pujol and Biko) are widely regarded as being among the best in the world! One of my favorite excursions I have done on a Caribbean cruise was a local food tour during a stop in Cozumel with Cozumel Chef ([url]http://www.cozumelchef.com/[/url]) where she took us to five different local restaurants/street food venues off the beaten path from where tourists frequent. Lots of fun and outstanding food.

[quote name='SRV FAN'][SIZE=2][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=blue]They say to be careful about eating local foods & to not drink the water while in Mexico. [/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=2][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=blue]But what about the other countries in the Caribbean? We're going to Grand Cayman, Jamaica, Bahamas, Aruba, Antigua, St Kitts, BVI, and many more on the next four cruises we have booked......... I'd like to know if it's safe to eat what the locals eat in these places & why you shouldn't in Mexico. ????[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/quote]

It does have to do with water cleanliness in Mexico. To answer the rest of your question, I have also eaten lots of places with no ill effects. However if you want to be sure, the safest thing to do is ask either the excursions desk, or your tour guide where are good places to eat. Another way to judge is by how many "non locals" are eating there.

It has been my experience that sufficient quantities of tequila mixed with ice will ward off most ills.

I have never had any problem with food or water related illnesses in Mexico or on Caribbean islands. Use common sense though. Most tourist areas you visit will not be a real problem. Remember that Cozumel is an island and is not part of the mainland.

Eric

[quote name='Pomperaugrr']It has been my experience that sufficient quantities of tequila mixed with ice will ward off most ills.

I have never had any problem with food or water related illnesses in Mexico or on Caribbean islands. Use common sense though. Most tourist areas you visit will not be a real problem. Remember that Cozumel is an island and is not part of the mainland.

Eric[/QUOTE]

The one & ONLY time I braved it while in Cozumel, we ate at Pancho's Backyard (within the cruise terminal area) right before boarding the (Carnival) ship....

My hubby & I had a couple of Margaritas & shared a couple of appitizers...... That night, within hours of each other... You guessed it.... Both of us sick! Spent our last day at sea sick as dogs....

Who knows? Maybe we got it on the ship? Just a coincidence... IDK....

But my question is not about eating in Mexico ...... It's about the other Caribbean Islands....

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app Edited by SRV FAN

Just like in the USA, water in Mexico is varied. Water picks up local minerals (hard water, soft water ring a bell?). When you introduce it into your body, it may react to it. Does not mean it is unsafe. Often times when traveling, you will do the same with food. Some people react differently to new types of food and drink. Does not make it bad or dangerous. The more food and water you introduce you body to in your lifetime, helps with accepting the "invaders".

[quote name='SRV FAN']The one & ONLY time I braved it while in Cozumel, we ate at Pancho's Backyard (within the cruise terminal area) right before boarding the (Carnival) ship....

My hubby & I had a couple of Margaritas & shared a couple of appitizers...... That night, within hours of each other... You guessed it.... Both of us sick! Spent our last day at sea sick as dogs....

Who knows? Maybe we got it on the ship? Just a coincidence... IDK....

[/quote]

FYI it is rare to experience symptoms of food poisoning within a few hours of a meal; the onset for most types of food poisoning is much longer - so in all likelihood you and your husband becoming sick that night had nothing to do with the meal you had in Cozumel (unless it was indigestion); it was probably from something that morning or a day or more earlier if it was food poisoning. You also could have picked up noro (or another virus) from a passenger on the ship (symptoms are quite similar to some types of food poisoning). That said I do not recommend eating so close to the cruise terminal; not because the food is unsafe, but you are just going to obtain touristy cuisine (be it Mexico or anywhere else on a Caribbean cruise) - might as well just dine for free on the ship.

Here is a link to the FDA site which lists the various types of food poisoning, common symptoms and typical onset of symptoms: [url]http://www.fda.gov/food/resourcesforyou/consumers/ucm103263.htm[/url]

[quote name='SRV FAN'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=2][COLOR=blue]I tried to find a topic on this, but was unable to. So, posting my question here.... [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[SIZE=2][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=blue]They say to be careful about eating local foods & to not drink the water while in Mexico. [/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=2][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=blue]But what about the other countries in the Caribbean? We're going to Grand Cayman, Jamaica, Bahamas, Aruba, Antigua, St Kitts, BVI, and many more on the next four cruises we have booked......... I'd like to know if it's safe to eat what the locals eat in these places & why you shouldn't in Mexico. ???? Confused. :confused:[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=2][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=blue]Thanks in advance for your valued input. [/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/quote]

We try to always eat the local food in many of the ports in the Caribbean, especially the seafood. At times, we will even ask, where do the locals eat, we did that a lot in Europe. We never once got sick in the Caribbean and the food has been quite good at many of the places we have tried. I also read the restaurant reviews on Trip Advisor, which helps a lot. We have eaten many times in Cozumel, again, never got sick once.

St. Kitts, ate on Frigate Bay Beach (delicious fish tacos) and on Carambola Beach, both times, had very good food.

St Martin, one of our favorite places to visit and eat is on the French side in both Marigot and in Grand Case. They say Grand Case is the Gourmet Capital of the Caribbean. You'll see a lot of LOLO's there, which means, Locally Owned, Locally Operated. These lolo places are not fancy at all, they look like Tiki huts, but the food is very fresh and good. Also had lunch at the Marina in Marigot several times, food very good.
Eaten many time on the Dutch side, both in town, Philipsburg and on the beach @ Maho, never had a problem.

Antigua, ate at a restaurant within walking distance of the ship, don't remember the name of it but the food was good.

Grand Caymen and Aruba, ate @ hotels and it's been years since we have been there. Never been to the BVI. As far Jamaica, ate there many years ago to even remember and as far as Bahamas, only ate @ the Atlantis.

Many years ago, we did get sick once in both Ixtapa and in Playa del Carmen, but it would not stop us from eating there or in Mexico again. Went to St Croix but did not eat on the island.

If you can do a little research on places to eat in the ports you will visit, you'll be fine.

[quote name='Life is Good Cruising']We try to always eat the local food in many of the ports in the Caribbean, especially the seafood. At times, we will even ask, where do the locals eat, we did that a lot in Europe. We never once got sick in the Caribbean and the food has been quite good at many of the places we have tried. I also read the restaurant reviews on Trip Advisor, which helps a lot. We have eaten many times in Cozumel, again, never got sick once.

St. Kitts, ate on Frigate Bay Beach (delicious fish tacos) and on Carambola Beach, both times, had very good food.

St Martin, one of our favorite places to visit and eat is on the French side in both Marigot and in Grand Case. They say Grand Case is the Gourmet Capital of the Caribbean. You'll see a lot of LOLO's there, which means, Locally Owned, Locally Operated. These lolo places are not fancy at all, they look like Tiki huts, but the food is very fresh and good. Also had lunch at the Marina in Marigot several times, food very good.
Eaten many time on the Dutch side, both in town, Philipsburg and on the beach @ Maho, never had a problem.

Antigua, ate at a restaurant within walking distance of the ship, don't remember the name of it but the food was good.

Grand Caymen and Aruba, ate @ hotels and it's been years since we have been there. Never been to the BVI. As far Jamaica, ate there many years ago to even remember and as far as Bahamas, only ate @ the Atlantis.

Many years ago, we did get sick once in both Ixtapa and in Playa del Carmen, but it would not stop us from eating there or in Mexico again. Went to St Croix but did not eat on the island.

If you can do a little research on places to eat in the ports you will visit, you'll be fine.[/QUOTE]

Thank you very much!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

[quote name='SRV FAN'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=2][COLOR=blue]I tried to find a topic on this, but was unable to. So, posting my question here.... [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[SIZE=2][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=blue]They say to be careful about eating local foods & to not drink the water while in Mexico. [/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=2][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=blue]But what about the other countries in the Caribbean? We're going to Grand Cayman, Jamaica, Bahamas, Aruba, Antigua, St Kitts, BVI, and many more on the next four cruises we have booked......... I'd like to know if it's safe to eat what the locals eat in these places & why you shouldn't in Mexico. ???? Confused. :confused:[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=2][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=blue]Thanks in advance for your valued input. [/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/quote]
We've never had an issue with eating in any of the Caribbean ports that we visited. In fact the DW, to this day, still tells everyone that she had the best key lime pie ever in Aruba.. a place near the pier called iguana joe's...

Now, Mexico is another story. In my travels, both cruise and non-cruise, I have only gotten sick twice in a foreign port. Both times in Mexico...

so... only bottled beverages, no ice, all foods must be fully cooked and HOT !!

Steve

[quote name='stevea36']We've never had an issue with eating in any of the Caribbean ports that we visited. In fact the DW, to this day, still tells everyone that she had the best key lime pie ever in Aruba.. a place near the pier called iguana joe's...

Now, Mexico is another story. In my travels, both cruise and non-cruise, I have only gotten sick twice in a foreign port. Both times in Mexico...

so... only bottled beverages, no ice, all foods must be fully cooked and HOT !!

Steve[/QUOTE]

This is great!! Thanks!!i will stay with bottled water & well cooked foods!!! Thanks!!!!

In Mexico. including the Mexican Caribbean like Cozumel, I only drink beer. The food's fine, although ceviche can be luck of the draw. In all other Caribbean ports, I always try to find a locals joint. Salt fish and rice is one of my favorites. There are many other great local Caribbean treats. Don't be afraid. My only objection is when they offer "Sea Cow" in some of the islands. "Sea Cows" are actually sea turtles, which are endangered and are highly illegal to capture, kill or consume in Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands ($20,000.00 fine or imprisonment), but some of the other islands have looser standards regarding that. I've been offered "sea cow" in St. Lucia in a very popular dockside restaurant, but politely declined.

If you are going to St. Martin, we have eaten at the Sunset Bar & Grill on Maho Beach on 4 separate cruises. Good snack and lunch fare and a great place to watch the planes come in to land. Never gotten sick.

[quote name='cb at sea']It's really just Mexico....your other ports will be ok. Mexico has NO water standards...so you don't want to drink unbottled water or use ice (since it could be made with "raw" water) or eat fresh fruits or veggies that might have been washed in "raw" water....stick to cooked foods and bottled/canned drinks, and you're fine.

That said, anyone can become sick or queasy from food they aren't used to...might not be "bad" food, but just different food![/quote]

I have never had a problem in Mexico, and every time I go I have had wonderful food. this includes not just cruises, but land based vacations. And I am not talking about eating at the resorts, but eating at the restaurants that the local residents would eat at
If you have a 'sensitive' stomach, you should probably avoid eating in any strange location.

Never had a problem. We do pretty much only eat in the tourist areas, but the Bahamas, St Thomas, St Martin, Grand Cayman, and really even Cozumel don't bother me. Most of those could just as easily be in the EU as the Caribbean, and the tourist areas in Mexico have a vested interest in being "safe". I've never tried to find that wonderful hole in the wall in Mexico with the authentic food as that's probably where I'd be most concerned...

I too have been all over the Caribbean. Done a Mexican Rivera cruise as well. I alway look for out of the way joints, where it is nothing but locals. I have never had a problem, other than over eating!

Many restaurants in Mexico now have water filtration systems. Those in tourist areas are more likely than others. Just something to ask about when you ask for a glass of water.

[quote name='UFMOM']If you are going to St. Martin, we have eaten at the Sunset Bar & Grill on Maho Beach on 4 separate cruises. Good snack and lunch fare and a great place to watch the planes come in to land. Never gotten sick.[/QUOTE]

We are! And THANKS!! We will try it!!

[quote name='smoosh21']I have never had a problem in Mexico, and every time I go I have had wonderful food. this includes not just cruises, but land based vacations. And I am not talking about eating at the resorts, but eating at the restaurants that the local residents would eat at
If you have a 'sensitive' stomach, you should probably avoid eating in any strange location.[/QUOTE]

I do... This is why I am asking.... Thanks!!

[quote name='goldgirl2']How about Belize? We are being served lunch included on our excursion. I'm a little worried.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app[/quote]

Worried about what?!? :confused::rolleyes:

I would be FAR more worried about eating food on a mass market cruise ship's buffet. :eek: