What are those things on Coral Princess and Island Princess?

EdmPair

I have been on the Grand Princess and was just now reading a thread on Alaska where it was suggested people take the Coral Princess or the Island Princess. Wanting to know how they all compare, I dug up photos. Well, frankly, it looks like those two ships have warp engines at the top of the stacks. Tell me this is TRUE!

;-)

M

ROFL! They are decoration. No purpose. :) They signify that the ship has a gas turbine engine. Four Princess ships have them: Coral, Island, Sapphire and Diamond.

I was on the Coral four years ago when we were asked to join a search for some lost fisherman. The search area was about 50 miles away from where we were. The engines were put on full power and the gas turbine engine used as well. It really did feel as though we were flying! I went out on Aloha deck forward and could barely open the door. Once open, I was blown against the bulkhead. Sadly, even after searching for hours, the fishermen were never found. I saw some debris from their boat. :(

The gas turbine engine is used only in an emergency or when speed is required since it is far more expensive to operate.

Edited by Pam in CA

I was afraid of that but also thinking the 'cigars' were of some function or other. I am also glad you saw the humour in it.

Thanks for all your insights and information over the years here on CC.

M

We sail on the Island in August. I have been planning this since November, not once did I see the warp engines :). So I just looked, and sure enough, they really do like like that and I will never miss them again. Thanks for explaining what they do Pam in CA!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

On some of the ships that have those they seem to be capped on the front. I saw the Coral Princess a couple of years ago in Fort Lauderdale and took these pictures:

Yes, they are completely faux on the Sapphire and Diamond Princess. I was told by an officer on Coral Princess that they do channel air down to the turbine which is located in the funnel.

Here's the Sapphire's...

6662079969_8d2840ba78_b.jpg

Outstanding photography. Thank you very much. She will be my home for 18 days. Really looking forward to being on my favorite ship again. I will have to look at her engines with a different perspective.

We sail on the Island in August. I have been planning this since November, not once did I see the warp engines :). So I just looked, and sure enough, they really do like like that and I will never miss them again. Thanks for explaining what they do Pam in CA!

We are on the Island starting 8/13, are you by chance on the same?

Linda

My understanding was that the gas turbines are used in ecological sensitive areas such as Alaska as they do not produce soot as diesel fuel does.

That was the case when these ships were built, and you only had to meet stricter emissions requirements while in port. Since California started their CARB zone a few years back requiring lower sulfur emissions out to 40 miles, and now with the US ECA, which limits sulfur out to 200 miles along the US and Canadian coastline (including Hawaii, Puerto Rico and the USVI), the gas turbines are less viable from a financial standpoint. Particularly when the US ECA restricts sulfur emissions further in 2015 to only allow use of 0.1% sulfur fuel (restricting use to either costly diesel fuel, or installing scrubbers at $1-1.5 million per engine (not per ship)). The problem with the gas turbine engines is that they are much less fuel efficient, and burn a costlier fuel than the diesels.

That was the case when these ships were built, and you only had to meet stricter emissions requirements while in port. Since California started their CARB zone a few years back requiring lower sulfur emissions out to 40 miles, and now with the US ECA, which limits sulfur out to 200 miles along the US and Canadian coastline (including Hawaii, Puerto Rico and the USVI), the gas turbines are less viable from a financial standpoint. Particularly when the US ECA restricts sulfur emissions further in 2015 to only allow use of 0.1% sulfur fuel (restricting use to either costly diesel fuel, or installing scrubbers at $1-1.5 million per engine (not per ship)). The problem with the gas turbine engines is that they are much less fuel efficient, and burn a costlier fuel than the diesels.

Regardless......

Thats why they shut er down and plug her in some ports. ;)

Edited by Colo Cruiser

The post that you quoted mentioned areas besides port (specifically Alaska). Princess still tells passengers that the gas turbine powerplant is used when scenic cruising in glacier areas, and I do think the typical vibrations of the big diesels diminish or go away during those times.

Yes, they are completely faux on the Sapphire and Diamond Princess. I was told by an officer on Coral Princess that they do channel air down to the turbine which is located in the funnel.
If you look at your 3rd photo down, you can see that the Sea Witch "funnel" is really open and louvered to allow and direct air flow. The gas turbine is in the middle and below the deck which runs along the outside, where you see the solid wall underneath the vents. I've got a photo somewhere that I never scanned which would explain it better. :( If the faux structures were used to direct air, I think they are too high and don't see how they could direct air down through those louvers. When open, perhaps they direct the exhaust which would make more sense to me.

The post that you quoted mentioned areas besides port (specifically Alaska). Princess still tells passengers that the gas turbine powerplant is used when scenic cruising in glacier areas, and I do think the typical vibrations of the big diesels diminish or go away during those times.

Yes, and there were some photos published by Princess when the Coral/Island came out showing the soundproof room that the turbine is housed in almost eliminating the vibration/noise issues.

Well, this took off and took a turn. Oh well. If not warp engines, I am glad they are engine related if only as symbol. If science suddenly invent a warp engine, I will instantly write a letter to Princess to 'make it so.'

We are on the Island starting 8/13, are you by chance on the same?

Linda

No, sorry we are on a southbound trip. We are doing the land portion first.

:eek: Except in THE SANCTUARY !!!!! lol

They're actually large suction devices which are activated every hour. Every lightweight item left unattended on loungers near the pools are sucked off in an effort to defeat chair hogs.

Just left the Island Princess on April 1 after a 15 day Panama Canal Cruise and I wondered what those airplane engines were also!

We had a great time, the ship was wonderful, so so about the dining room foor. Sabatini's was WONDERFULLY delicious. Did not try the crab shack or the Cajun option so can't say if they were worth the extra expense. Had a mini suite and we spent almost all afternoons on the balcony reading, playing cards or napping! Hung our posters when going through the canal, and the weather was perfect, calm seas, except for the night we traveled to Aruba!