Upgraded bathroom amenities

islandwoman

In July we will be taking our first 3 cruises as Princess Elites. Up to now we have always packed our own shampoo and conditioner because we don't like the standard Princess bathroom amenities. Our upcoming cruises are half-way around the world and I don't look forward to trying to get heavy, sloppy bottles of liquid from the US to Japan or to shopping for them in a language I can neither speak nor read.

What are the "upgraded bathroom amenities" that come with Elite status on Princess?

How good are the shampoo and conditioner?

Congrats on becoming Elite..we love the benefits!

We go on our next adventure in about 3 weeks, but have been reading in these boards and heard from friends that the ships now have the dispenser pumps in the shower for soap and a shampoo/conditioner combo. People have gotten some of the Lotus Spa bottles by asking their steward, but they are hard to get now and not automatic......sooo, you may have missed out on the upgraded amenities :(.... I happened to like the products in the bottles, so will miss them too!

If you search Elite bathroom amenities on the boards, you will get a lot of previous responses...Good luck...

That's disappointing. It sounds like the same shampoo/conditioner they have on Carnival. I don't like that at all. But at least with Carnival we sail out of local ports, so it's no problem to take along our own.

The eucalyptus scented products formerly provided have been replaced by unscented products. The "upgraded bathroom amenities" are not different products, but rather additional items that are provided in full suites including a shower cap, gel eye mask, emery board, lip balm, q-tips, linen mist spray and a "sizzle mitt".

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

If you happen to have any of the nice (small) plastic bottles that the "old" bathroom amenities were offered in, including the eucalyptus scented bath gel, the conditioner, the moisturizing lotion - those empty bottles are travel gems. I have saved them - would take home our half-empty bottles at the end of the cruise and use them in between to remind me of being on a cruise - but I digress - and washed them out. Now I fill them with the shampoo I use, my hair styling product, a body wash that I like and they travel very well.

I realize that "one of each" might be insufficient for a lengthy cruise. What I do is fill additional bottles, place them in a strong zip lock plastic bag and pack them in my checked luggage. For me. it works better than schlepping bigger bottles of product, and lets me take only the quantities I think will be needed for the trip. I also know that they just don't leak.

Hope you have collected a few!

Hope you have collected a few!

I have and I'm happy to know that they don't leak. But we'll be onboard for 27 days and both of us have long hair. That's a lot of little bottles, but a good idea nevertheless. Thank you.

I would ask specifically by the ship. Maybe your ship has not yet been retrofitted with the liquid soap.

We had the new stuff on the Emerald this past January. I didn't really like the liquid soap, not viscous enough and no lather. The Shampoo/Conditioner did lather up, but if you will like it or not will be the question. We made do. You do get tubes of shower gel as an Elite. You still get bar soap at the sink and you can request additional bars for the shower.

If you don't like the shampoo/conditioner Princess has, purchase some at one of the ports. I'm certain you can recognize the brands by their look.

I always bring my own shampoo and conditioner. My hubby says the ones provided in the shower containers don't foam up and he uses mine now.

I take little travel containers that I fill up before each trip. Pack it in my suitcase because don't want to pull it out going through security.

The new pump stuff is nasty.
We booked a full suite for our recent 4 day 'Free" cruise on the Sapphire in January. They did not install the dispensers in the suites. Instead they had tubes of the new shower gel and conditioning shampoo in 2oz tubes. DW used the gel and shampoo and was fine with the products. I stayed with the old circular bar soap but did use the shampoo and was fine with also. In our Window Suite on the Grand last month there were also no dispensers but they were still using the old Eucalyptus scented products.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

If you happen to have any of the nice (small) plastic bottles that the "old" bathroom amenities were offered in, including the eucalyptus scented bath gel, the conditioner, the moisturizing lotion - those empty bottles are travel gems. I have saved them - would take home our half-empty bottles at the end of the cruise and use them in between to remind me of being on a cruise - but I digress - and washed them out. Now I fill them with the shampoo I use, my hair styling product, a body wash that I like and they travel very well.

Ginger, we are so alike in that way. I have between 30 and 40 of the empty bottles; they're as good as any travel bottles from the Container Store. This winter we made a point to bring home every one we had taken with us, as they are no more.

I found the products in tubes (even before I discovered I was allergic to them) very unsatisfactory. I'm afraid that Elite toiletry amenities have quickly become value- less.

We booked a full suite for our recent 4 day 'Free" cruise on the Sapphire in January. They did not install the dispensers in the suites. Instead they had tubes of the new shower gel and conditioning shampoo in 2oz tubes. DW used the gel and shampoo and was fine with the products. I stayed with the old circular bar soap but did use the shampoo and was fine with also. In our Window Suite on the Grand last month there were also no dispensers but they were still using the old Eucalyptus scented products.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

You know how when they have something in bulk to refill those wall units, it may not be as good as the stuff in the small tubes. I just know the shampoo would not lather and had no scent. :rolleyes:

This is the best use of the shower gel and whatever in the shower. No way would I use it but I did use that little space for my own shampoo/conditioner:

DSC02938.JPG

This was the full extent of the Elite amenities in the bathrooms on the Royal last October and the Sapphire in January and March. Big whoop:

DSC01683.JPG

:D

Ginger, we are so alike in that way. I have between 30 and 40 of the empty bottles; they're as good as any travel bottles from the Container Store. This winter we made a point to bring home every one we had taken with us, as they are no more.

I found the products in tubes (even before I discovered I was allergic to them) very unsatisfactory. I'm afraid that Elite toiletry amenities have quickly become value- less.

I am a fan of the eucalyptus stuff, but it seems to be a thing of the past. At least we both have the bottles - and they really are priceless, aren't they Jeannie? Thank goodness we just kept taking the empties and partly used ones home with us. I now take them when we travel on land (those are not vacations, they just aren't) so I have product I like in hotels. We still get the loofah, the eye gel mask, the emery board, etc., so it's better than nothing. But I do miss the bottles with the good stuff in them!

I am so sorry our paths did not cross this winter during "cruising season", but I am an avid reader of your blog. Your episode in St. Thomas with the swimsuit had me between laughter and tears, I could so totally relate!!! Glad to hear your mom is on the mend, it is so difficult when we are not close by loved ones when they are unwell.

Cannot get the link to e-mail you to work, or I would write. You can find me at wesmarshall2000 at comcast dot net when you have a chance. We'll have to check the "official count" for the little pale green bottles. :D

I'm sorry. It's all my fault. Every time I qualify for something, it's taken away. :rolleyes:

Nah, not every time. We won't blame this one on you - just remember to ask for the gel eye mask, an emery board, Q-tips and cotton balls, and a loofah. I promise those are still in the suites, so Elites should also be receiving them. We sail (not in a suite this time) in two weeks so I will be interested to see what is provided without having to ask, v. what shows up when requested.

I think I took 3 little bottles of shampoo for me on our 30 day cruise, 1 of conditioner, 3 of body wash....it really wasn't all that much compared to regular sizes of the various products, and limiting amts to what you need helps on checked luggage weight. DH packs for himself and took 2 bottles of his shampoo and 3 of his preferred body soap.

I realize that the older I get, the more spoiled I get. I like what I like, and I only want to use what I like. I refuse to apologize for that - after all they named the cruise line after me - Princess.:p

Thank you everybody for the good information and you Pam for the photos. I'm not happy about this benefit having mostly gone away, but I know what to pack now and that's important when I'm flying half way around the world before getting on the Diamond Princess.

ggprincess2004, Please post what you discover on your upcoming cruise. Which ship will you be sailing?

Thank you everybody for the good information and you Pam for the photos. I'm not happy about this benefit having mostly gone away, but I know what to pack now and that's important when I'm flying half way around the world before getting on the Diamond Princess.

ggprincess2004, Please post what you discover on your upcoming cruise. Which ship will you be sailing?

Good luck. :)

Will do - Caribbean Princess for 7 days out of Houston. Pricing was too good to pass up, as the timing worked with other necessary travel plans.

Have a wonderful cruise, too!

Sitting at FLL after getting off the Royal this morning. Had dispensers for shampoo/conditioner and shower gel in the shower itself. No lotion. Not sure if this is across all ships, but was the case on the new Royal.

It will be soon if not already. :(

The eucalyptus scented products formerly provided have been replaced by unscented products. The "upgraded bathroom amenities" are not different products, but rather additional items that are provided in full suites including a shower cap, gel eye mask, emery board, lip balm, q-tips, linen mist spray and a "sizzle mitt".

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

We were in a full suite on Sapphire Princess last weekend and the lotion had an icky floral scent. The little shell basket did not have the eyemask, lip balm or linen mist spray. I meant to ask my stateroom attendant if he had any left, but kept forgetting.

We were in a full suite on Sapphire Princess last weekend and the lotion had an icky floral scent. The little shell basket did not have the eyemask, lip balm or linen mist spray. I meant to ask my stateroom attendant if he had any left, but kept forgetting.

DH will miss the lip balm! They really seem to be inconsistent from ship to ship at present!

If you do decide to try shopping for supplies in Japan, we found it surprisingly easy. We were shocked at how many things were written in English there. You might want to find a magazine ad of someone with shampoo/sudsy hair to bring with you just in case. We managed to purchase an unexpected pair of shoelaces while in Japan. (We'll bring spare shoelaces in the future though.)

You could also try printing some phrases from Google Translate before leaving home. Something like 'I would like to buy some shampoo' in Japanese.

Good luck.