Upgraded bathroom amenities

islandwoman

They still had the little bottles of eucalyptus on Diamond on November - loathe the stuff, it smells like old ladies!

We always bring our own shampoo and conditioner and fly them halfway across the world, so far without any leakage problems. I do decant them into smaller travel sized bottles and put them in a zip lock bag for safety.

On a cautionary note, when going through Heathrow security on the outbound flight in November, a very officious security lady confiscated my American sized travel bottles as they did not have the size stamped on them. Had already used them twice that year! These were from Walmart and I have used them for years with no trouble. But no, she was adamant, if she could not tell what size they were then she was ditching them. I had to watch my special conditioner etc be thrown into a large bin. I was hopping mad! Luckily I was able to buy similar in Boots once through security. Now I have no problem with security but this was just a 'jobs worth!'

Edited by ellie1145

We sailed on the Royal in February in a deluxe balcony and are Elite.

All we got was a tube of the lotion. :(

I asked the steward and he said Princess has discontinued all of the Elite bathroom amenities. He said he had just come from another ship and was told this when he boarded the Royal. He also got his supervisor (it was actually for another issue ) who confirmed.

To the OP - if you haven't sailed yet, if you don't want to pack shampoo, you might be able to buy some decent (Overpriced) shampoo from the Spa on board.

Ginger, welcome back! Was your room steward Cristian from Romania who was an English and computer teacher there but made more money as a steward?? If so, we were lucky enough to have him for 110 days on the Emerald Princess. Then the next winter we had the steward from hell. It was emotional whiplash. Cristian was the BEST.

Yes - wonderful, wonderful, Cristian. We are glad that he will get vacation, but at the same time sad that he won't be on the Caribbean when we board her again in early August. We have an aft suite a few doors from the mini we just sailed in, so he would be ours. I am afraid that no one else is really going to stand up by comparison. He was really the best, and I really appreciated his style - friendly and so competent, but still quiet - just perfect really. He worked so hard, and there we so many kids - on each side of us he was making up beds for families of 4 and there were more down the hall and also in the inside cabins. Luckily he had a helper some of the time.

Jeannie, how is you mom doing? We are keeping her (and you and your family) in our prayers.

Ginger

We sailed on the Royal in February in a deluxe balcony and are Elite.

All we got was a tube of the lotion. :(

I asked the steward and he said Princess has discontinued all of the Elite bathroom amenities. He said he had just come from another ship and was told this when he boarded the Royal. He also got his supervisor (it was actually for another issue ) who confirmed.

To the OP - if you haven't sailed yet, if you don't want to pack shampoo, you might be able to buy some decent (Overpriced) shampoo from the Spa on board.

Grrr.....the inconsistency from ship to ship is frustrating. One doesn't know what to count on. And of course the website still advertises the upgraded bathroom amenities as part of the elite perks.

Grrr.....the inconsistency from ship to ship is frustrating. One doesn't know what to count on. And of course the website still advertises the upgraded bathroom amenities as part of the elite perks.

I agree about the inconsistency.

In the past we've actually gotten off one Princess ship and immediately boarded another and found different "policies" about lots of things.

It's not just Princess, though, found the same thing on Celebrity.

I really think a lot of the "Supervisors" just make up their own rules and pass them off to the passengers as cruise policy. :(

The new soap does have a light scent.

We got off the Emerald and the Island a couple of weeks ago and received different amenities on each cruise. No eye mask on either. Linen spray, shower cap, lip balm in the shell bowl on the Island only. Emery board, 3 bottles of lotion, shower gel, loofah and cotton balls on both.

I too wish it were consistent from ship to ship, but I do appreciate the items I do get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At long last we are taking our first cruise with Elite status on the Island Princess in a couple of weeks so I will be interested to see what amenities we receive. I double checked the Princess web site and it still lists Upgrade Bathroom Amenities as a benefit, but it sounds like your mileage may vary on this one depending on the ship. I'll report back on what we find!

Yes - wonderful, wonderful, Cristian. We are glad that he will get vacation, but at the same time sad that he won't be on the Caribbean when we board her again in early August. We have an aft suite a few doors from the mini we just sailed in, so he would be ours. I am afraid that no one else is really going to stand up by comparison. He was really the best, and I really appreciated his style - friendly and so competent, but still quiet - just perfect really. He worked so hard, and there we so many kids - on each side of us he was making up beds for families of 4 and there were more down the hall and also in the inside cabins. Luckily he had a helper some of the time.

Jeannie, how is you mom doing? We are keeping her (and you and your family) in our prayers.

Ginger

Thank you, Ginger, for your continued good thoughts. It's been a drama...she's been hospitalized for a week since we returned home and diagnosed with a serious issue that also took my Grandma. It's the beginning of a slow decline, I'm afraid. (Totally OT, but I answered this here only because so many CCers have emailed me to asked. Thanks to all for your concern).

Back to Elite toiletries...Cristian was the only steward we've ever had as Elites who had everything in the ceramic (or was it plastic?) shell on the bathroom vanity when we boarded. Even that winter (2011-12), the slippers and sewing kits were MIA. (Ooohh, Ginger, be certain to get the sewing kit when you're in the suite in August).

I asked the steward and he said Princess has discontinued all of the Elite bathroom amenities.

Since the elite amnities are supposed to be the same as the suite bathroom amenities, the question now is have they also been discountinued for suite passengers?

Just got off the Grand earlier this month.

No more clam shell, but did get the sizzle mitt, shower cap, emery board, linen mist, Q-tips/cotton balls, and lotion. Bath gel/shampoo and conditioner mounted in the shower now.

Askef for more Q-tips and the cabin steward brought 5 more packs.

He replaced the lotion every other day.

Four pages of discussions and hand wringing over bathroom amenities :eek: I am just happy to be on the ship and don't give a hoot about cotton balls and other stuff. We are Elite's for many years and have enjoyed some of the free stuff provided in our Mini Suits. Now'er days we bring our own Dove soap bar and small bottles of shampoo and conditioner (found in the sample size bin of most drugstores) and I always travel with a small sewing kit and emery board on land and sea. The green stuff in the shower looks like poison and I would never use it LOL.

We were on the Grand in a mini suite for 15 days in March/April, no extra's at all for being Elite, nada=nothing. Cruising again soon, but will not let the missing bath amenities ruin my cruise. I worry much more about the cutbacks in quality at mealtime and the increases in adult beverage prices!!!:confused:

While I'm usually bringing my own shampoo/conditioner anyway for pre- or post-cruise stays, the idea of having to bring my own soap is appalling. Cutting back on bar soap certainly doesn't comport with the "wash your hands often" anti-virus message the cruise line is simultaneously trying to communicate.

I certainly hope that all of you who have seen this first-hand (luckily, things were status quo ante on my December cruise, so I haven't yet) are speaking up on the post-cruise surveys. Whining here is fun, no question about it (it's why we read the boards, right?), but it isn't going to change anything.

While I'm usually bringing my own shampoo/conditioner anyway for pre- or post-cruise stays, the idea of having to bring my own soap is appalling. Cutting back on bar soap certainly doesn't comport with the "wash your hands often" anti-virus message the cruise line is simultaneously trying to communicate.

I certainly hope that all of you who have seen this first-hand (luckily, things were status quo ante on my December cruise, so I haven't yet) are speaking up on the post-cruise surveys. Whining here is fun, no question about it (it's why we read the boards, right?), but it isn't going to change anything.

I didn't notice that they were cutting back on bar soap, and when we are on board we are rather OCD about washing hands - and so it far it seems to have worked for us re: Noro. The soap bars were the regular size, and as soon as we opened the first one, a second appeared.

I think the message is leaking out to Princess about the inconsistency among the ships. Once again, the senior officers present at our CC roll call gathering last week confirmed that Princess reads this seriously.

I am beginning to wonder, when I read of some ships having all the amenities and others offering none, if it just the housekeeping departments on some of the ships that have decided they don't have the time to be bothered providing these amenities to their elite passengers (which would be a bad customer relations move). Obviously, they have them onboard for those sailing in suites.

I didn't notice that they were cutting back on bar soap, and when we are on board we are rather OCD about washing hands - and so it far it seems to have worked for us re: Noro. The soap bars were the regular size, and as soon as we opened the first one, a second appeared.

I think the message is leaking out to Princess about the inconsistency among the ships. Once again, the senior officers present at our CC roll call gathering last week confirmed that Princess reads this seriously.

I am beginning to wonder, when I read of some ships having all the amenities and others offering none, if it just the housekeeping departments on some of the ships that have decided they don't have the time to be bothered providing these amenities to their elite passengers (which would be a bad customer relations move). Obviously, they have them onboard for those sailing in suites.

I am hand wringing....:rolleyes:

The new disc/sliver of soap is pathetic.

Cutting back on bar soap certainly doesn't comport with the "wash your hands often" anti-virus message the cruise line is simultaneously trying to communicate.

What Princess has cut back on is the size of the soap bar. It is now closer in size to what you find in most hotels.

You can get as many of these smaller soap bars as you need for both use at the bathroom sink and in the shower.

What Princess has cut back on is the size of the soap bar. It is now closer in size to what you find in most hotels.

You can get as many of these smaller soap bars as you need for both use at the bathroom sink and in the shower.

yes you can, but the sliver of soap is sooooo small if you drop it in the bathtub (mini suite) you never find it again. I prefer using my own Dove soap,it keeps me clean and not frustrated.