Tuscan Grill

hammo

The bad steak I had on the Reflection was the rib eye. Next time I'll try the filet. :)

Maybe its just Celebrity's take on the rib eye in general. We were on Connie last week dining in Blu and DH and I both ordered the rib eye the first night. It was very thin and disappointing. We both ordered medium rare but since it was so thin, it seemed overcooked. It was like a cheap cut sirloin that you could get from golden corral or an all you can eat place. I am from the Midwest so I have eaten plenty of steak. Ribeye is my favorite, it is so juicy and flavorful, but not last week. The other steaks we had were great.

We ate at the Tuscan Grille on our cruise on Silhouette last week and it was fabulous. Wonderful food and a table by the window watching the wake as the sun set over Fort Lauderdale. What's not to like?

After many cruises we finally ate in Tuscan on Equinox.The venue is superb, watching the wake as you dine is rather mesmerizing. The filets were perfection, the lobster ravs were yummy. However, our server either didn't hear, or understand, my "I'm allergic to mushrooms", which is the first thing I told her after good evening. Every item she started to serve me had mushrooms! When I pulled my epi pen out of my purse & said "no mushrooms" it was like a lightbulb went on. After that things improved. The next evening in MDR our maitre d & waiter had heard of the issue (we didn't tell them) & the maître d told me that he'd also told them of my allergy. He was so concerned. So now we've tried Tuscan, filet (second one) was wonderful (without mushroom sauce), but I probably won't go back. Too bad as we love the view

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just returned from the Silhouette, and we did try the Tuscan Grill. We thought the food was good not great. My steak was a good cut of meat, but they smothered it with spices. I remember the days when the meals you received in the MDR was as good as what we had in the Tuscan Grill. Now, sadly the quality of the food in the MDR has dropped considerably so you have to pay extra to get a good meal. We were really disappointed with the quality of the food on the Silhouette. More in my review which I will post later.

I kind of agree it is ordinary. We have eaten there 3 times...2 average and one time very good.

2010 Solstice - average at best and ribeye was paper thin and very fatty

2012 Eclipse - very good

2014 Reflection - everything very good except for steaks...which is why I go. Again the ribeye was very thin with lots of gristle. Filet appeared to be cooked correctly (med-rare) but it was very dry and flavorless.

Edited by blueboro

Another fan of Tuscan here too, love the location and view and relaxed vibe. However last week on Silhouette both evenings dined there were a miss. Server managed to throw my salad across my side of table hitting the silverware which crashed into the window, but managed to miss the wine and water glasses and my clothing thankfully. We were served three very tiny calamari in that rather large bowl, dried up eggplant which we've previously really enjoyed, grisly rib eye, icy cold desserts and coffee. Had the Ultimate pkg so went twice and neither time was that impressive sorry to say, service slooow and just not same as other visits.Was told we were to have lunch there with our pkg and when we showed up they wouldn't let us in, said it had been booked by a private group so they made a last minute decision to cancel. Sort of weird experience this time around, but will still go again next cruise

Hi

My other half is veggie and won't eat any meat or food with meat derivatives in it such as cheese with Animal rennet in it. The TG menu doesn't state was is vegetarian or not. Did you have to clarify what was suitable with the waiters?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I'm not vegetarian so I didn't ask about this. I just don't eat shellfish or pork so I asked about those things. I don't care for steak so didn't order one. There are a few vegetarian options but it would be difficult to find vegan options at TG, as a lot of foods are made with cream or cheese.

I'm not vegetarian so I didn't ask about this. I just don't eat shellfish or pork so I asked about those things. I don't care for steak so didn't order one. There are a few vegetarian options but it would be difficult to find vegan options at TG, as a lot of foods are made with cream or cheese.

Thanks. OH isnt Vegan but wont eat cheese that has animal rennet in it. Whilst there are sime dishes that look like they could be vegetarian its usually cheese thats the spoiler. Guess we will have to ask onboard before booking a table.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Maybe it depends on the ship, or the batch of meat, but our experience at Tuscan Grill was not good a couple of weeks ago on the Reflection. The only thing that was really good was the calamari appetizer. The crab cake was mostly breading and the crab in it was so fine it was indistinguishable from the breading and I couldn’t even really taste the crab. My rib eye steak was ordered medium rare, and looked like it was that, but it was so thin that it was just a sliver of red in the middle. It was so tough it was inedible. I took 2 bites and left it and the waiter never asked about it. Yes, I could have said something, but luckily in addition to steaks, we had ordered the lobster pasta to share, so I just ate that. That was good, although just a few small pieces of lobster in it. I wouldn’t recommend Tuscan Grill based on our experience even at the 50% discount that we got for Aqua Class. The service in Blu and food in Blu was much better.

Just off the Equinox and had a poor experience in Tuscan Grille. I had the lobster pasta and it was almost inedible. Our waitress was totally inattentive and looked like she would rather be anywhere else than waiting on us.

Having said that, I realize that that our experience doesn't seem to be the norm based on reading many reviews, so we will certainly try it again. I will give kudos to the Maitre'd who was very concerned after hearing of our poor experience and kindly refunded our cost.

The service in Blu was outstanding and the food very good. My only comment is that for some reason, the Caesar Salad was always quite flavorless. Others around us had the same opinion. I actually had to ask them to "put some garlic in it". After trying it again about 4 more times it never improved and I finally gave up on ordering it.

Cindy

Like many others the Tuscan grill is my favorite even over Murano. Whether I am eating in a speciality restaurant or the MDR if any of the food is not up to my satisfaction I send it back. IF the steak is over or under cooked send it back. Why wait till you get home to say it was a bad meal. Give them the opportunity to make it a great meal.

Norma

I kind of agree it is ordinary. We have eaten there 3 times...2 average and one time very good.

2010 Solstice - average at best and ribeye was paper thin and very fatty

2012 Eclipse - very good

2014 Reflection - everything very good except for steaks...which is why I go. Again the ribeye was very thin with lots of gristle. Filet appeared to be cooked correctly (med-rare) but it was very dry and flavorless.

We tried TG on the Equinox in 2012 and I agree completely with your last assessment. Everything up to the entree (service and food) was very good. But the steak (a NY Strip), which is also why I go, was a huge disappointment. Small and thin, not what you expect in a good strip steak. Certainly not worthy of an "up market steakhouse".

Edited by ILCruiser

The bad steak I had on the Reflection was the rib eye. Next time I'll try the filet. :)

I had one bad rib-eye in Chops and haven't ordered one since on a ship. Had the filet last week on Reflection in all but Murano and they were all very good.

In the past we loved Tuscan Grill and always ate there two or three times during a TA. The last two times on the Reflection were terrible. Bad service and very thin, bad quality steaks. I like my steak Rare so if the cut is thin it just doesn't work. It was a huge disappointment. But the attitude and lack of attention from waitstaff was the final blow.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app