WARNING beware europe 20% sales tax onboard.

HI would this apply to a transatlantic that only disembarks in southhampton UK, but no other European ports are involved? The British are not in the EU and don't use the euro ?

The United Kingdom may not use the euro but they are members of the EU and you can get the VAT tax back at the airport for purchases.

Edited by Tim,n,Sue

Is this 20% on prebooked drinks package because have l looked at booking replenishment package online for Liberty of the Sea out of Barcelona & it is coming up at €114 ($156) couldn't figure out the extra cost should be working out at €102 going on the current exchange rate

HI, Ok, so I am still confused. Of those countries using euro, UK does not. UK does have a VAT tax. So if we depart Ft. Lauderdale , go to to the Caribbean, then disembark at Southampton UK will we pay 20% for drinks and onboard purchases during the cruise or the regular 15%

Trying again

Thank You

HI, Ok, so I am still confused. Of those countries using euro, UK does not. UK does have a VAT tax. So if we depart Ft. Lauderdale , go to to the Caribbean, then disembark at Southampton UK will we pay 20% for drinks and onboard purchases during the cruise or the regular 15%
RCI adds 15% gratuity to drink on most sailings (certainly on ones leaving the US). This will be added to drinks, spa and some other items, but not items purchased in shops. If the VAT is charged on cruises that is in ADDITION to any gratuities that are charged. If you buy a drink on the ship while sitting in Southampton harbor before disembarking (not sure you can, but if you could) you would pay 15% gratuity PLUS 20% VAT (assuming that 20% is the correct VAT rate).:eek: [Hope I got that correct]

Does this apply to Baltic cruises leaving from Sweden? The cruise visits Russia, which isn't in the EU, therefore, would the EU tax then not apply for the entire cruise? Or would only apply in EU ports?

Hi

No Baltic cruises are affected.

Any cruises that involve one port that is deemed to be a NON EU port, the whole cruise is tax vat free. BUT it may apply in some EU counties while the ship is in dock.

ie Cruises starting in Barcelona tax is added to all cruises while the ship is docked,(in Barcelona), as soon as it leaves as long as it visits a non eu port on its travels no further vat is added.

You will soon know as the dutyfree shop will be open onboard

BUT If it remains in EU waters the vat is added on the whole cruise.

so a $10 drink has 15% tip added+10% vat added. (12.95) OTHER purchases could have vat 20+% added.

i was just trying to warn others of the additional hidden charges they may incur.

One thing though EU law says that VAT should be included in the advertised price, so how cruise lines get away with adding it afterwards beats me.

Thats why ships in the MED are visiting north Africa, Kotor, Turkey, Isreal and Gibralter.

J

Hi

No Baltic cruises are affected.

Any cruises that involve one port that is deemed to be a NON EU port, the whole cruise is tax vat free. BUT it may apply in some EU counties while the ship is in dock.

ie Cruises starting in Barcelona tax is added to all cruises while the ship is docked,(in Barcelona), as soon as it leaves as long as it visits a non eu port on its travels no further vat is added.

You will soon know as the dutyfree shop will be open onboard

BUT If it remains in EU waters the vat is added on the whole cruise.

so a $10 drink has 15% tip added+10% vat added. (12.95) OTHER purchases could have vat 20+% added.

i was just trying to warn others of the additional hidden charges they may incur.

One thing though EU law says that VAT should be included in the advertised price, so how cruise lines get away with adding it afterwards beats me.

Thats why ships in the MED are visiting north Africa, Kotor, Turkey, Isreal and Gibralter.

J

Thank you for clarifying. :)

RCI adds 15% gratuity to drink on most sailings (certainly on ones leaving the US). This will be added to drinks, spa and some other items, but not items purchased in shops. If the VAT is charged on cruises that is in ADDITION to any gratuities that are charged. If you buy a drink on the ship while sitting in Southampton harbor before disembarking (not sure you can, but if you could) you would pay 15% gratuity PLUS 20% VAT (assuming that 20% is the correct VAT rate).:eek: [Hope I got that correct]

On a TA ending in the UK there would be no additional UK VAT on top of the service charge even whilst the ship is docked in Southampton. The VAT rate is 20% in the UK but the UK doesnt charge it on any cruises that visit, or have visited non EU destinations.

Some other EU countries enforce charging VAT on onboard prices whilst a ship is docked in their country or is in their waters even if the ship will visit a non EU destination (Spain does this for instance) but the UK does not as long as a non EU destination is on the itiniary.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Can I just clarify does this only apply if your ship starts it's journey from Spain.

Our cruise leaves from the uk, we visit Spain and all our other ports are in the Eu.

Thanks

If all of your ports are in the EU then VAT will be charged throughout the whole cruise. If you stop in say, the Channel Islands, Canary Islands or Gibraltar then no VAT chargeable outside territorial waters. Some P&O cruisers are getting bent out of shape about this, because it is the first time it has happened to them due to the itinerary.

Just to confuse things - I think RCCL quote drinks prices inclusive of the 15% gratuity on sailings out of Southampton?

Maybe a silly question, but...

Our TA will start in Fort Lauderdale and end in Barcelona.

First stop is Lisbon/Portugal.

I know that there will be no VAT tax applied to the entire cruise, but when we arrive to Lisbon will the VAt be applied? If I buy something aboard on the 4th day of our TA will cost "10" and then after we arrive to Portugal and all other EU countries (all the ports are Spanish ports) will we have to pay for the same purchase "10" + VAT (23% for instance)?

I never saw the shops aboard open when we are on ports, so I don't understand how will this work...

Thank You!

Can I just clarify does this only apply if your ship starts it's journey from Spain.

Our cruise leaves from the uk, we visit Spain and all our other ports are in the Eu.

Thanks

Are you sure all your stops are EU countries? Does the cruise include a Canary Island, Gibraltar or North Africa stop as these are non EU.

Maybe a silly question, but...

Our TA will start in Fort Lauderdale and end in Barcelona.

First stop is Lisbon/Portugal.

I know that there will be no VAT tax applied to the entire cruise, but when we arrive to Lisbon will the VAt be applied? If I buy something aboard on the 4th day of our TA will cost "10" and then after we arrive to Portugal and all other EU countries (all the ports are Spanish ports) will we have to pay for the same purchase "10" + VAT (23% for instance)?

I never saw the shops aboard open when we are on ports, so I don't understand how will this work...

Thank You!

No VAT as your cruise wil have visited non EU ports.

Are you sure all your stops are EU countries? Does the cruise include a Canary Island, Gibraltar or North Africa stop as these are non EU.

Yes, we sail from Southampton and visit Portugal, Spain and France. Some itineries visit Gibraltar but ours doesn't.

Yes, we sail from Southampton and visit Portugal, Spain and France. Some itineries visit Gibraltar but ours doesn't.

Ah, ok. Then your cruise will have UK VAT added to onboard sales.

Ah, ok. Then your cruise will have UK VAT added to onboard sales.

Unless the rules have changed since September last year I would disagree with this statement. UK VAT has never been applied on any RCI cruise that I have taken from UK irrespective of the itinerary.

The Canary Islands are part of the EU. We just have certain tax differences due to our isolation from the Spanish mainland. 20 years ago we were tax-free but now our VAT has crept up to 7%. It's called IGIC and is now charged on food, drink and any type of service. I don't know how this is reflected in a cruise that leaves the Spanish mainland and then visit the Canaries though!

The Canary Islands are part of the EU. We just have certain tax differences due to our isolation from the Spanish mainland. 20 years ago we were tax-free but now our VAT has crept up to 7%. It's called IGIC and is now charged on food, drink and any type of service. I don't know how this is reflected in a cruise that leaves the Spanish mainland and then visit the Canaries though!

Sorry you are correct however it would just get too complicated to start explaining special territories of the EU on a discussion like this. As far as a cruise is concerned, a call at a Canary Island makes the whole cruise tax free in the same way that a call to a North African port would.

Unless the rules have changed since September last year I would disagree with this statement. UK VAT has never been applied on any RCI cruise that I have taken from UK irrespective of the itinerary.

Well it does apply to a P&O cruise that doesnt visit a non EU port so not sure why RCI should be exempt:

https://ask.pocruises.com/help/PO/fleet/VAT_ob

Are you sure your RCI cruises have not included a non EU port? Norway, Russia, Gibraltar, Canary Islands?

So I guess that we would have this outrageous tax issue on a Norwegian fjords cruise from either Southampton or Copenhagen. On the British Isles cruises on Princess from Southampton that stop in Guernsey, the stop in the Channel Islands eliminates the VAT, correct?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Well it does apply to a P&O cruise that doesnt visit a non EU port so not sure why RCI should be exempt:

https://ask.pocruises.com/help/PO/fleet/VAT_ob

Are you sure your RCI cruises have not included a non EU port? Norway, Russia, Gibraltar, Canary Islands?

The link you provided refers exclusively to the purchase of goods from the onboard shops and boutiques on sailings prohibited by government regulation from selling duty free products and, as such, amounts to the same restriction imposed at airport shops for travel within the EU. My comment was made following your response to sassyb69 and was intended to clarify that, unlike sailings originating in Spain and Italy, UK VAT would not be levied on everyday purchases of goods and services such as bar charges and speciality dining cover costs etc throughout the cruise.

It is not cruise line specific. I did the NCL Getaway in January from Rotterdam to Southampton. No taxes added. I pre-purchased spa pass and services. The next night was a cruise to nowhere from Southampton 1 night. UK VAT applied to all purchases onboard. No VAT, of course, on the TA.

Edited by MADflyer