NCL cancelling Roatan (MERGED THREADS)

swedish weave

You appear to be looking at this the wrong way.

Ships pulling out, therefore removing tourist dollars, is a way to make sure these types are punished, caught, observed, and ultimately prevented from doing more harm, hopefully sending an economic message to the people that are supposed to be ensuring our safety. I applaud NCL for doing this, and hope others follow suit.

To just continue calling on that port sends the wrong message. Do they care? Who knows?

I see where you are coming from, but I am not sure that I fully agree. Someone on this thread has already posted that the miscreant has been caught. But do we know for sure that the person who has been caught is the person who actually committed the crime? It would not surprise me in the least if the authorities there just "rounded up the usual suspects" and then announced that "we've caught the guilty party" to stem the knee-jerk reaction of cruise lines to "pull out" of a port of call after such a crime.

Crime such as muggings can happen anywhere, especially in tourist areas. I live in the Fort Lauderdale area, and feel very safe. But, if some of the crime that happens here made the papers, people would be saying not to cruise from here. That would be utter nonsense as Fort Lauderdale is a great destination from which to start a cruise vacation.

This makes Carnivals Mahogany Bay beach all the better I guess. Gated beach and and patrolled by security.:) I'll have another cold Port Royal please.:D

That's where we went on our January stop in Roatan. Beautiful beach & view of our docked ship.

I see Carnival will continue to sail there, emphasizing that their pier is contained within the cruise center, and advises those intending to go further than the cruise center to only take organized tours or utilize the cruise center taxis.

Edited by TPFKAH

Maybe Carnival should consider dropping Roatan off of it's ports of call list.

I appreciate your sentiment, however, there are many innocence merchants, tour guides, and other people of Roatan who depend on tourist dollars to survive. Let's not let a few "bad apples" spoil the whole bunch. From what I've read the police know the name of the perpetrator and even have his bicycle. This dude is going to be caught ASAP. The Mayor has offered a $5000.00 reward for the bad guys capture(and that's alot of money down there). In the port, I don't think they put up with too much junk from bad guys.

At least..I hope I'm correct on this.

Dan

Edited by dlanesman

I don't understand why visiting these ports is being viewed by some as no big deal. I live close to NY and Newark, NJ so I'm used to hearing about violence. But if I'm choosing a place to escape for a break for the norm, sorry I'm not inclined to pick a place where there's a high rate of violence and with recent incidents of tourists and cruise ship employees being mugged and/or killed. Of course violence can happen anywhere but I can think of plenty of other beautiful Caribbean islands and other places to go on a cruise that are just as beautiful with better stats in terms of safety.

Maybe it's better that you just not know some things, because I have a cruise planned visiting this port and planned all along to proceed with the same caution I always do when traveling. Seeing this; however, bothers me and makes me think twice about bringing my two small children. Belize is another port on the same itinerary that doesn't have the best reporting in terms of violence. I completely understand the desperate situations the locals find themselves in. Much of it isn't any different from the poverty and crime connection that exists in the U.S. and elsewhere. But I agree that ships should rethink calling on this port lest a message be sent that we'll bring our tourists to you no matter how dangerous. Flame all you want, but this is how I feel. And I'm no wilting flower either.

If you go on a cruise, the most likely thing that will take your life is the car accident on the way to the airport or the cruise port. Cars (and the way we mishandle them) are among the most deadly weapons in our modern lives. Not occasional thugs in Caribbean ports. Not terrorists. Not Halloween candy tamperers, rapists hiding in bushes, or any of our other irrational fears. Next to cars, add cigarettes, alcohol, and carbohydrates. Things all of which are (usually) in our control.

Statistically, the number of people who get killed on Caribbean vacations is utterly meaningless. And anyone who feels the sudden urge to screech that I'm minimizing the value of human life - blah blah blah - would be missing the point. There are bigger things to worry about.

Edited by larkz

Thanks for the response. However after the recent news I do not want to take any chances. I'm not the only one either. Hopefully the Roatan locals will heed the warning of NCL and fight for better security on their island. Otherwise I'm afraid many other tourists like myself will be leery of traveling there.

If I do decide to leave the ship, I will probably do an excursion through RCI as it seems like it will be more secure. I am willing to pay more for an excursion that will be more secure.

If I was in the States, I would be packing heat. But obviously that isn't allowed here.

You make some good points. You may also want to reconsider leaving from Fort Lauderdale... They had 7 murders and 73 rapes in 2013... I wouldn't feel safe, but that's just me. Oh yea, watch out for Miami as well. Not sure about 2013, but in 2012 they had 69 murders.

If you go on a cruise, the most likely thing that will take your life is the car accident on the way to the airport or the cruise port. Cars (and the way we mishandle them) are among the most deadly weapons in our modern lives. Not occasional thugs in Caribbean ports. Not terrorists. Not Halloween candy tamperers, rapists hiding in bushes, or any of our other irrational fears. Next to cars, add cigarettes, alcohol, and carbohydrates. Things all of which are (usually) in our control.

Statistically, the number of people who get killed on Caribbean vacations is utterly meaningless. And anyone who feels the sudden urge to screech that I'm minimizing the value of human life - blah blah blah - would be missing the point. There are bigger things to worry about.

I don't know who you meant by your comment at the end. I understood and appreciated your perspective. Not need to get smart at the end. I also don't think the number of people getting killed on caribbean vacations is meaningless.

You appear to be looking at this the wrong way.

Ships pulling out, therefore removing tourist dollars, is a way to make sure these types are punished, caught, observed, and ultimately prevented from doing more harm, hopefully sending an economic message to the people that are supposed to be ensuring our safety. I applaud NCL for doing this, and hope others follow suit.

To just continue calling on that port sends the wrong message. Do they care? Who knows?

Should they send the same message to Miami and Fort Lauderdale as well?

Your right, but have you ever checked out what other countries warn their citizens about the US?

A few I looked up.

http://smartraveller.gov.au/zw-cgi/view/Advice/United_States_of_America

http://abcnews.go.com/Travel/odd-things-countries-warn-travel-usa/story?id=22912284

Should they send the same message to Miami and Fort Lauderdale as well?

Maybe everyone should also stop cruising, i haven't done the research but i hear of more crime on the ships themselves in the media than in the actual ports. I wonder how many crimes occur on the actual ships vs in the ports to cruise ship passengers?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Your right, but have you ever checked out what other countries warn their citizens about the US?

A few I looked up.

http://smartraveller.gov.au/zw-cgi/view/Advice/United_States_of_America

http://abcnews.go.com/Travel/odd-things-countries-warn-travel-usa/story?id=22912284

All that does is advise Aussie's to be "normal," and to watch and keep updated with DHS, terror warnings. The US issues similar warnings, but according to the UN, Honduras does indeed have the highest murder rate in the world.

All that does is advise Aussie's to be "normal," and to watch and keep updated with DHS, terror warnings. The US issues similar warnings, but according to the UN, Honduras does indeed have the highest murder rate in the world.

The country of Honduras, not the island of roatan.

I go to Roatan about every other year, in fact, will be there for a week in June. I didn't go last year because I could not get a flight directly into Roatan. I have been to that airport in Honduras and will never go there again. Ever seen locked up abroad? It looked and felt worse. Airport in Roatan is nice.

Hi, we just did the Little French Key excursion when we were on the NCL Dawn this last Nov. LFK has a private van that waits for you as soon as you leave the customs area. From there you are on your way to the dock where the boat is. Quickly you board the boat and are headed to the island which is a beautiful paradise. I felt safe with them and would do it again.

Beginning with the cruise right before ours, NCL Jewel will be visiting Trujillo on the Banana Coast instead of Roatan. This change was made a couple of months ago and had nothing to do with the shooting, but I wonder if other cruise lines might not decide to change itineraries now that there's another destination in Honduras they can sail to.

http://www.bananacoast.com/

I feel for the NCL crew member and his family BUT as others have said, Roatan is not mainland. One of my best friends is an American expat who built a house in Roatan over 10 years ago and now lives there full time. Her living comes from being a scuba guide/instructor and relies on tourism, as do most of her friends. I spent 10 days with her in 2009 and felt totally comfortable walking around *most* of the island on my own when she was at work. Simple common sense just like in other place you might find yourself goes a long way.

I am super excited to go back in September - she has the day off and will play 'tour guide' to the other three in our group who haven't been to Roatan before - if Carnival does stop this port I'll be as disappointed as when they stopped going to Mazatlan!

Hondoras has the murder capitol of the world -- but -- Mexico has 5 cities in the top 10 worst -- including Acapulco!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cities_by_murder_rate

1 San Pedro Sula Honduras

2 Juárez Mexico

3 Maceió Brazil

4 Acapulco Mexico

5 Tegucigalpa Honduras

6 Caracas Venezuela

7 Torreón (metropolitan) Mexico

8 Chihuahua Mexico

9 Durango Mexico

10 Belém Brazil

I would be more worried in Mexico .

Take a look at some of the other ports cruise ships go to and you will see much worse statistics. Nassau is often cited as having travel advisories due to murders, rapes and other such attacks.

The best advice, which was given above, is do not bring valuables ashore and if you do, do not flaunt them, keep them securely stored. Stay in groups and be aware of your surroundings and you will be fine.

We are heading to Roatan in August and cannot wait as I hear it is beautiful. I do hope they hear cruisers fears however and show they will not tolerate the violence as it is only hurting themselves.

I don't know who you meant by your comment at the end. I understood and appreciated your perspective. Not need to get smart at the end. I also don't think the number of people getting killed on caribbean vacations is meaningless.

My comment at the end was a prediction, not based on any prior comments, but on the likelihood that people would jump it. The point remains, it is indeed statistically utterly meaningless. These danger-beware-we're-all-going-to-die-bloody-murder-in-XYZ-Caribbean-port posts feed off the ignorance of people, and a human tendency to blow small and unlikely threats out of proportion and to ignore huge threats. Like the heavy smoking relative who asked me, "Aren't you afraid to go to Mexico?" It scares me a lot less than lung cancer, was my reply. And quite a bit less than my daily commute. And way less than leaving the bike path to navigate suburban streets with my bike.

Like :) omg the sky's falling. Carnival wants you to stay and spend in the park. Soon it will be like Belize don't go venture past diamonds international.

Btw all the stats posted are a boat ride from roatan. Kind of like saying don't visit San Diego or many cities in Mexico ?????

I come from a nice affluent city. My best friend's husband was held up at gunpoint.

Crime can happen ANYWHERE. So if they are robbing you, give them what you want, unless of course, it's more valuable than your life. Then you can give them your life in exchange perhaps (I doubt) :rolleyes:

I will not stop visiting somewhere because of something like this. Just like I won't stop flying because a plane crashes (or is missing) or stop driving my car because one crashed.

Things happen. It's sad but it's reality.

Sorry for Jacob and his family. Everyone should always be on the lookout, aware of surroundings...but know, it can still happen not matter how "aware" you are.

I have the right to change my mind should this happen again and again and again however. :cool:

Prayers to the family and friends of Jacob. It is very sad regardless.

Beginning with the cruise right before ours, NCL Jewel will be visiting Trujillo on the Banana Coast instead of Roatan. This change was made a couple of months ago and had nothing to do with the shooting, but I wonder if other cruise lines might not decide to change itineraries now that there's another destination in Honduras they can sail to.

http://www.bananacoast.com/

I wonder if there is any possibility that the Jewel could visit Trujillo next week?

My wife and I have a November cruise on the Vision of the Seas that will visit the island. I think that Royal may want to take a look at safety there. The cook was murdered this month and earlier a family was robbed and shot at when they took a rental car on an island drive. Sounds like if you are with a group you might be OK, but ??? Maybe we should cancel this cruise and take on one that does not have so many concerns about safety.:eek:

This was on John Heald's facebook last night.

John Heald post: Some of you have been posting about the terrible loss of the NCL crew member during an incident in Honduras. I send my deepest condolences to his family and to everyone at NCL who mourn the tragic loss of a friend and colleague.

I also wanted to share this statement with you which we are passing to our guests who are and will be sailing to Roatan.

As a result of a number of reports of armed robberies and other street crimes against tourists in and around the municipality of Santos Guardiolo, which is on the east end of Roatan, as well as in Palm Beach in the northeastern section of Roatan, we are now providing informational letters to all guests on cruises visiting Roatan. The letters advise guests of incidences of crime on the island and offer practical advice and safety tips while visiting Roatan as well as tourist destinations in general.

Authorities in Roatan have announced an increase in the number of police patrols in areas typically frequented by travelers. Carnival Cruise Lines ships visiting Roatan dock at the Mahogany Bay Cruise Center which is a dedicated cruise ship facility managed by Carnival Corporation. Mahogany Bay features direct beachfront access, duty free shopping and dining venues situated among 18 acres of landscaped grounds. For guests who want to explore beyond the Mahogany Bay Cruise Center, we are strongly encouraging them to book a shore excursion sold through the ship or to utilize Mahogany Bay Cruise Center taxis which are subject to an inspection program for fair pricing and safety practices.

Our security management continues to closely monitor the situation in Roatan.

Thank you.