NCL cancelling Roatan (MERGED THREADS)

swedish weave

There are evidently some, let's say 'minimal', warnings about Roatan from cruise lines. From what I have gathered by reading about this island, the crime rate has increased in the last year...especially against tourists. The cruise lines are trying to way safety against the popularity of the island. So far, only NCL has cancelled port calls. I sent a question to RCI for comment. So far...complete silence...except an acknowledgement that they got the email. :confused:

I got to thinking about not getting anything back from RCI, So I called the Crown and Anchor number and talked with an associate. She had no information about the crime concerns in Roatan at all. I told her about NCL cancelling the port call. She said that if you feel unsafe at a port, stay on the ship. I said I could also cancel the cruise. She that up to you....have a nice day.:confused:

So sorry to hear about the death in Roatan. Prayers to the family and to the rest of the island as one criminal has probably drastically affected the travel industry for the whole island for many years. I hope they punish the individual and not the whole island unless it really is that widespread.

The Carnival excursion we did on Roatan to Gumbalimba Park, w/ clear kayaking and snorkeling was my favorite cruise excursion ever. Loved the sweet little monkeys.

Living in Atlanta, I certainly have different standards for what is "safe" than people from many other parts of the world. Most of the Caribbean is extremely safe compared to our city. People get shot for the their shoes in Atlanta and I still go downtown.

Thanks for the links.. I had missed one of them.. We may just decide to stay on the boat.. Not worth the risk for me..

My TA called NCL this afternoon and was told the Jewel was going to Roatan next week. Apparently there will be additional security. I decided to cancel my excursion anyway.

My TA called NCL this afternoon and was told the Jewel was going to Roatan next week. Apparently there will be additional security. I decided to cancel my excursion anyway.

Hate to miss it because it looks so beautiful..but I totally understand.. Just going to enjoy the boat.. :)

Have a great trip!!

Thanks for the links.. I had missed one of them.. We may just decide to stay on the boat.. Not worth the risk for me..

I'm very conflicted on most posts because on one hand I agree that anything can happen anywhere, but on the other hand, i would have definitely been more on edge if I had come across these articles before I took my cruise. Now granted, I like to live on the edge a little and don't scare easily, but I would have been way more alert. I carried a backpack with several hundred dollars, two camerss, my Note2 and my son had his tablet in his bag. I never thought once about leaving them in my chair while swimming but it probably had a lot to do with the fact that my driver (with Rony's tours) was by our side the entire day, negotiated the beach access and chairs, etc and another guy to watch my things. I even bought him lunch. He was phenomenonal and I felt very safe. ... But again, I didn't have any preconceived notions about the place. Would I go back? Most certainly.... But I would stick with a well known guide like Ronys or Boddens and make sure they stay with me. Again, I like to live on the edge a little. Hell I was the one who got v left in Mexico for two days over too much tequila. Carnival WILL leave your ass, I know lol. Last week, my son and I were the first to venture outside of the security gates in Belize while others looked at me crazy. Yes they hounded me, yes women verbally fought over customers in the streets and one man cane to break them up with a machete in his hand and I kept it moving on down the road. We ended up taking a nice horse and buggy tour that was very informative. I don't like a cruise line trying to deter me from experiencing the real city because I know that most times, it's not for my safety, but for their bottom line. Sorry about the rant....too much wine and I'm missing Cayman and Roatan already

Edited by MzMelissa26

I'm very conflicted on most posts because on one hand I agree that anything can happen anywhere, but on the other hand, i would have definitely been more on edge if I had come across these articles before I took my cruise. Now granted, I like to live on the edge a little and don't scare easily, but I would have been way more alert. I carried a backpack with several hundred dollars, two camerss, my Note2 and my son had his tablet in his bag. I never thought once about leaving them in my chair while swimming but it probably had a lot to do with the fact that my driver (with Rony's tours) was by our side the entire day, negotiated the beach access and chairs, etc and another guy to watch my things. I even bought him lunch. He was phenomenonal and I felt very safe. ... But again, I didn't have any preconceived notions about the place. Would I go back? Most certainly.... But I would stick with a well known guide like Ronys or Boddens and make sure they stay with me. Again, I like to live on the edge a little. Hell I was the one who got v left in Mexico for two days over too much tequila. Carnival WILL leave your ass, I know lol. Last week, my son and I were the first to venture outside of the security gates in Belize while others looked at me crazy. Yes they hounded me, yes women verbally fought over customers in the streets and one man cane to break them up with a machete in his hand and I kept it moving on down the road. We ended up taking a nice horse and buggy tour that was very informative. I don't like a cruise line trying to deter me from experiencing the real city because I know that most times, it's not for my safety, but for their bottom line. Sorry about the rant....too much wine and I'm missing Cayman and Roatan already

I read the statement from John Heald above and I didn't get that they were trying to deter anyone from the city but more trying to get another "book excursions through the ship to keep safe" message out to use this press to book more overpriced ship excursions for people that get worried and don't really know any better or want that feeling of safety.We have been to Roatan and Belize over a half dozen times each and Roatan is still our favorite port and we wouldn't miss it for the world. This crime could have happened anywhere

Being that we meet up in a public place and go to a private island we will be okay, she assured me they have never had any problems.

You most likely will be fine but the reasoning is flawed. The recent murder of the NCL crewmember was in a very public place a few blocks from the ship dock on the main road of the main town on the island with people around as well as security cameras.

Thanks! Looking forward to my first NCL cruise.

NO! You aren't! :D I can't believe what I'm reading. ;)

I just booked an RCI cruise to Roatan - first time to go there - and was directed to this thread about NCL canceling the port stop. And here you are.

It doesn't matter to me if RCI cancels our stop. I love the ship and the rest of the itinerary but it would be nice to go to a new port.

I hope to see you sometime. I'll let you know when I go back to BTR. I'm sure it will be this year sometime. I can't wait to hear about your first NCL cruise.

Gina

NO! You aren't! :D I can't believe what I'm reading. ;)

I just booked an RCI cruise to Roatan - first time to go there - and was directed to this thread about NCL canceling the port stop. And here you are.

It doesn't matter to me if RCI cancels our stop. I love the ship and the rest of the itinerary but it would be nice to go to a new port.

I hope to see you sometime. I'll let you know when I go back to BTR. I'm sure it will be this year sometime. I can't wait to hear about your first NCL cruise.

Gina

Hi, Gina!

I'm booked on the Vision to Roatan as well, and am very concerned now about stopping there. At first we were excited, and had already booked excursions for the day, but now, I wish Royal would just take Roatan off their itineraries as well. I understand things can and do happen anywhere, but if there's a known higher risk, why would I spend my money to go there?

I am having a hard time understanding why so many people are canceling their cruises, excursions, etc. I feel sorry for the tragic loss to the crew member and his family, but this occurs everywhere..You can choose to stay home or go and see the beautiful island...No matter where we travel I know how to keep an eye out for any possible trouble, and my fears are much less in Roatan than other stops. Just my opinion..

Thanks for posting..The video is very sad about how their country really is. I'm not sure people understand that this is # 1 murder capital in the world.. & almost all murders go unsolved. Yes, murders happen everyone but not on this level. I used to think the port area or ship sponsored trips were safe, but that is not the case anymore.. I don't want to take the risk..

I am having a hard time understanding why so many people are canceling their cruises, excursions, etc. I feel sorry for the tragic loss to the crew member and his family, but this occurs everywhere..You can choose to stay home or go and see the beautiful island...No matter where we travel I know how to keep an eye out for any possible trouble, and my fears are much less in Roatan than other stops. Just my opinion..

You've been there, so you have first hand experience and can vouch that you were safe when you went. That's fine. But I've never been to Roatan and totally have an uneasy feeling about what happened with this NCL worker and the others mentioned in the articles posted. I know violence can happen anywhere. I think people realize that. But I also don't get why people are acting like it's unreasonable to be concerned or have second thoughts. These stories are not about people veering off on their own and having the guts to take that type of calculated risk. People at the beach enjoying ship sponsored excursions, at the port in broad daylight. And it seems to be getting worse.

Edited by cruizinisthebest

Not sure if this will be helpful to anyone but we visited Roatan for the first time on a cruise in February. We generally prefer the eastern and southern routes but we gave the western route another go as there were two places we had not been to before (Belize and Roatan). We completely fell in love with Roatan. We spent the day at West Bay. Of all the Islands we have been to I would put Roatan at the top of the list of great islands for beauty, beach, snorkeling, and people. We loved it so much that went when we got back from our cruise we booked a 10 day trip to West Bay in Roatan and just got back today. We felt very safe in our slice of paradise on West Bay which is where many of the cruise ship excursions go to. At night the beach was like a freeway of pedestrians (tourists) walking to the various seaside dining options. The locals we experienced were hardworking good people.

Edited by ohCanada

People need to do what makes them feel comfy and safe, people also need to understand that safety level may be vastly different from person to person. If you have any kind of concern stay on the ship, don't go to the island. Everyone should do what they feel the best course for them and their families.

This I snurched from a post of Trip Advisor:

Bay Island Voice Facebook post:

"Local media reported last night that the man suspected of shooting and killing a Filipino cruise ship employee in Coxen Hole Sunday was apprehended last night in the El Swampo sector of Coxen Hole. A source said he was lured there to sell the murder weapon to raise cash to get off the island."

Mind you, one of the many challenges the island has is correct info. :0)

Edited by Guest 2000

Our Condolences to all people involved

What parts of Roatan are not safe. Is there any particular places to avoid or transportation means to avoid. I don't know the details of this case but I live near New Orleans which is not really safe either. No where safe anymore. But I am asking if taxis are safe? We are going next week unless Carnival decides to ride right by Roatan like they did last time we went to see this island, two years ago. That day they said it was windy but it definitely was not windy. No wind at all. very frustrating.

My friends went on shore excursion from hotel . Tour bus got stoped close to hotel, 2 men jumped in put the guns close to my friend head and took anything they could :mad::mad::eek: . Not a nice vacation t obe with your kid :eek:

Edited by GOLDENBONNY

We were there a month ago, and went on a Bodden tour. I'd definitely go with his company again, and not strike out on my own.

Interestingly enough, our guide told us that there was no crime in Roatan. The mayor won't have it, because if there is crime, then the ships won't come. Obviously so, after this incident.

This is definitely heart breaking for the crew member's friends and family. Also heartbreaking for the honest, hard working people of Roatan who depend on tourism for their livelihood.

Definitely no winners in any of this.

sure :rolleyes: they can say it but when my friend got gun up close to his forehead he relly did not belive how safe is this island.

Hi. We were there right after the robbery with a couple in a rent vehicle..I can certainly understand your feelings though if you have not been there..We have been all over the island by ourselves, and am looking forward to going back..

You've been there, so you have first hand experience and can vouch that you were safe when you went. That's fine. But I've never been to Roatan and totally have an uneasy feeling about what happened with this NCL worker and the others mentioned in the articles posted. I know violence can happen anywhere. I think people realize that. But I also don't get why people are acting like it's unreasonable to be concerned or have second thoughts. These stories are not about people veering off on their own and having the guts to take that type of calculated risk. People at the beach enjoying ship sponsored excursions, at the port in broad daylight. And it seems to be getting worse.

My friends went on shore excursion from hotel . Tour bus got stoped close to hotel, 2 men jumped in put the guns close to my friend head and took anything they could :mad::mad::eek: . Not a nice vacation t obe with your kid :eek:

While this maybe true, I am not even going to begin to believe this without far more info than this.

Like I said, do not believe everything you read on the internet.

Hi. We were there right after the robbery with a couple in a rent vehicle..I can certainly understand your feelings though if you have not been there..We have been all over the island by ourselves, and am looking forward to going back..

I doubt at this point that we'll change. I'm so looking forward to this trip and sailung on the Sunshine. But one more report might push me over the edge. Lol. I am glad to hear that the SOB who killed the NCL employee has been caught. We have a tour booked with Victor Bodden.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk