NCL cancelling Roatan (MERGED THREADS)

swedish weave

John Heald's facebook post:

Some of you have been posting about the terrible loss of the NCL crew member during an incident in Honduras. I send my deepest condolences to his family and to everyone at NCL who mourn the tragic loss of a friend and colleague.

I also wanted to share this statement with you which we are passing to our guests who are and will be sailing to Roatan.

As a result of a number of reports of armed robberies and other street crimes against tourists in and around the municipality of Santos Guardiolo, which is on the east end of Roatan, as well as in Palm Beach in the northeastern section of Roatan, we are now providing informational letters to all guests on cruises visiting Roatan. The letters advise guests of incidences of crime on the island and offer practical advice and safety tips while visiting Roatan as well as tourist destinations in general.

Authorities in Roatan have announced an increase in the number of police patrols in areas typically frequented by travelers. Carnival Cruise Lines ships visiting Roatan dock at the Mahogany Bay Cruise Center which is a dedicated cruise ship facility managed by Carnival Corporation. Mahogany Bay features direct beachfront access, duty free shopping and dining venues situated among 18 acres of landscaped grounds. For guests who want to explore beyond the Mahogany Bay Cruise Center, we are strongly encouraging them to book a shore excursion sold through the ship or to utilize Mahogany Bay Cruise Center taxis which are subject to an inspection program for fair pricing and safety practices.

Our security management continues to closely monitor the situation in Roatan.

Thank you.

If we abort every island there was crime there be no more cruises.

On the Valor we were in St. Thomas and had to do several detours to get back to the ship due to shootings..

There is crime every where.. from kids committing it to grannies.

Cathy

I agree. I remember a tourist being killed in St. Thomas a few years ago, just days after we were there. Everyone on the boards was up in arms about not going to St. Thomas for awhile after that.

I truly feel horrible for the crew member's and friends, but something tells me that this too, will pass. Unfortunately killings for something so senseless are a sign of the times all over the world. Since tourism is the number one source of income on Roatan, according to our tour guide last week, I would hate to see the wonderful people of Roatan punished for the crime of one person.

Edited by Jeafl

John Heald's facebook post:

Some of you have been posting about the terrible loss of the NCL crew member during an incident in Honduras. I send my deepest condolences to his family and to everyone at NCL who mourn the tragic loss of a friend and colleague.

I also wanted to share this statement with you which we are passing to our guests who are and will be sailing to Roatan.

As a result of a number of reports of armed robberies and other street crimes against tourists in and around the municipality of Santos Guardiolo, which is on the east end of Roatan, as well as in Palm Beach in the northeastern section of Roatan, we are now providing informational letters to all guests on cruises visiting Roatan. The letters advise guests of incidences of crime on the island and offer practical advice and safety tips while visiting Roatan as well as tourist destinations in general.

Authorities in Roatan have announced an increase in the number of police patrols in areas typically frequented by travelers. Carnival Cruise Lines ships visiting Roatan dock at the Mahogany Bay Cruise Center which is a dedicated cruise ship facility managed by Carnival Corporation. Mahogany Bay features direct beachfront access, duty free shopping and dining venues situated among 18 acres of landscaped grounds. For guests who want to explore beyond the Mahogany Bay Cruise Center, we are strongly encouraging them to book a shore excursion sold through the ship or to utilize Mahogany Bay Cruise Center taxis which are subject to an inspection program for fair pricing and safety practices.

Our security management continues to closely monitor the situation in Roatan.

Thank you.

Carnival is trying to convince more cruisers to remain within the "safe" confines of their little artificial world at Mahogany Bay. Of course, that means more $$$ for Carnival. A little fear helps their bottom line.

There are security forces armed with automatic weapons in Grand Central Station in NYC - anyone propose a boycott of GCS?

Use your street smarts and be aware, give up money or IPad or whatever if accosted by someone with a knife or a gun. Study them for clues so you can give local police accurate descriptions of the felon. Stay smart and stay safe and enjoy this world.

There are security forces armed with automatic weapons in Grand Central Station in NYC - anyone propose a boycott of GCS?

In many countries the police force is a part of the military and thus carrying automatic weapons is standard practice. The presence then of automatic weapons on security forces does not in and of itself mean that crime is rampant or your safety is in immediate danger.

As many have said here, it's all a matter of being aware of surroundings and exercising caution no matter where you are.

We are going in Nov as well on the Navigator. We have no second thoughts whatsoever. If you look at statistics,as stated above, you will find Roatan has a very low crime rate. When we were there in March I talked to some locals about the people being shot at and robbed, and it devastates them,as this is their only way to make a living.I feel a heck of a lot safer there than if I were in any of our larger cities. It happens here every day. So we can all hide under our beds or we can enjoy life. Myself, I am always ready to go back to Roatan.I really think that for those who have not been there,and who hear these scary reports,that once they visit the island they will have a change of heart. Please go and enjoy your cruise..:)

My wife and I have a November cruise on the Vision of the Seas that will visit the island. I think that Royal may want to take a look at safety there. The cook was murdered this month and earlier a family was robbed and shot at when they took a rental car on an island drive. Sounds like if you are with a group you might be OK, but ??? Maybe we should cancel this cruise and take on one that does not have so many concerns about safety.:eek:

Totally agree with crewsweeper.Also,maybe those of us who have been in the military have a little different perspective about armed soldiers or police.I was stationed in Madrid way back there in the late 60's and there was some kind of cop on every corner, even though there was no need ,as it was so safe then you could walk down an alley at night by yourself. We see the presence of armed police in Mexico all the time. We have been there umpteen times and never an issue.Myself, I like seeing there presence. If something should happen it would surely be nice to have help.We can all hide under our beds or we can choose to enjoy life. Myself, I am doing the latter.AS far as Roatan is concerned, compare the crime rate with some of our cities.

In many countries the police force is a part of the military and thus carrying automatic weapons is standard practice. The presence then of automatic weapons on security forces does not in and of itself mean that crime is rampant or your safety is in immediate danger.

As many have said here, it's all a matter of being aware of surroundings and exercising caution no matter where you are.

I live in orlando Florida. This city functions through tourist dollars. Yet here's some facts for you:

"Despite its family-friendly, theme park-loving atmosphere, Orlando tops the list of the 10 worst cities for crime.

According to a study from CreditDonkey, a credit card comparison and financial education website, the City Beautiful topped the list because it ranks near the top in incidents per 100,000 residents in each of the five crime categories examined in the study:

Violent crime

Total crime

ID theft

Fraud

Internet crime

The survey relied most heavily on the first three criteria, based on national rankings.

A city’s rankings in each category were combined to create an overall rank on the list, with lower numbers indicating a higher ranking.

Orlando’s overall score was 67, the lowest overall total, making it the highest ranked city for crime,

You are correct in that the City of Orlando, and its burbs like Pine Hills have a high rate.

The Attractions are southwest of the City, closer to Kissimmee. Like many places, youll have the occasional robbery, or someone drops off phony Pizza delivery flyers that when you call, they take your credit card and you get nothing.

It's patently unfair that The Attractions get lumped in with the high crime rate of the city of Orlando.

If I could without too much of a penalty, I would change itineraries from my upcoming sailing. It's not just Roatan but Belize as well. And I know all about crime and that it can happen anywhere. Just two weeks ago someone was shot about two miles from my house. But it's also an area where I wouldn't go - not even in the daytime. If I'm in a foreign country, it's a big difference between something happening to me or my family there versus near my home. I've been to other islands and felt safe and heard many reports about crime and didn't hesitate to go there anyway. Ditto for many U.S. cities. Everyone has to decide for themselves what calculated risks we are willing to take. Any place can be a danger, but for whatever reason, this story bothers me. Maybe because it was in the daytime. Maybe because it was so close to the port. Oh well. Prayers and thoughts to his family. Always tragic when someone is killed just minding their own business.

Last year my girlfriend and myself spent some time in Honduras. We flew into San Pedro Sula, took a local bus to La Ceiba, took the ferry over to Roatan, then back to the mainland, and back to San Pedro Sula. We travel independently and at no time did we have any problems or feel unsafe. As long as you aren't involved in the drug trade, do something stupid, or go into areas that you obviously shouldn't be, 99.999999% of the time you'll be fine.

If you want no risk at all, just don't ever leave your living room. Don't fly, never get in a car, never cross the street, etc. A few years ago, I took a vacation to Kurdistan in northern Iraq, then stopped over in Iran on my way back for a few days. Again, in Iraq, I was smart and didn't head down south where the unrest was happening - northern Iraq is extremely safe and the complete opposite of the rest of the country. And a beautiful part of the world to boot.

As far as Honduras, if you are only going to be in Roatan during the day, there is nothing to worry about. I'd be more worried about getting killed driving to the airport on your way to the cruise port. Or getting hit by lighting.

Decisions Decisions, we are slated to be here on Tuesday on the Dawn out of Tampa. I planned on going to Little French Key, my wife though is afraid to go now, we have 3 kids in tow as well.

Edited by sfollenius
Correct Day

You stated it perfectly ..:)

Last year my girlfriend and myself spent some time in Honduras. We flew into San Pedro Sula, took a local bus to La Ceiba, took the ferry over to Roatan, then back to the mainland, and back to San Pedro Sula. We travel independently and at no time did we have any problems or feel unsafe. As long as you aren't involved in the drug trade, do something stupid, or go into areas that you obviously shouldn't be, 99.999999% of the time you'll be fine.

If you want no risk at all, just don't ever leave your living room. Don't fly, never get in a car, never cross the street, etc. A few years ago, I took a vacation to Kurdistan in northern Iraq, then stopped over in Iran on my way back for a few days. Again, in Iraq, I was smart and didn't head down south where the unrest was happening - northern Iraq is extremely safe and the complete opposite of the rest of the country. And a beautiful part of the world to boot.

As far as Honduras, if you are only going to be in Roatan during the day, there is nothing to worry about. I'd be more worried about getting killed driving to the airport on your way to the cruise port. Or getting hit by lighting.

Well, if NCL has cancelled the port, you're probably not going there.

Maybe they'll send you over to the Banana Coast instead.

NCL should have told you something about port/itinerary changes by now. Check with them.

But if you do dock in Coxen Hole, and you have made reservations with LFK, LFK will pick you up. You're at a private resort, facility, not subject to being out on the street. Double check with them via email if you still can.

Sorry for that families loss. However, this is why I stick with cruise ship excursions in places like Roatan. Belize is not dangerous. Last time there we walked around on our own and no one bothered us. The vendors were not pushy like in Cozumel.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We have a private tour next week and have considered canceling because of recent events. I am fully aware that murders happen in every town in the US and many places all over the world but I am just concerned about not knowing the area and doing a private tour.

I would love to hear your thoughts!

I called NCL, they said right now we scheduled to Roatan, subject to change of course. I called LFK, they said they NCL was not stopping next week, she was happy to know what NCL told me. I assume NCL is still gathering info as far as security and will go from there.

Being that we meet up in a public place and go to a private island we will be okay, she assured me they have never had any problems.

I live in Look Largo, Fl which is across the bay from Tampa. The crime rate is pretty high there. It would be a terrible blow to Roatan's economy t cancel that port. It' s our favorite stop and I hope cruise shops will not cancel it.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

Sorry for that families loss. However, this is why I stick with cruise ship excursions in places like Roatan. Belize is not dangerous. Last time there we walked around on our own and no one bothered us. The vendors were not pushy like in Cozumel.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

So you have not heard about the cruise excursion that was held up and robbed? Or the child that was killed on a ship excursion while riding a bus driving past the grave yard?

Myself, I would pretty much trust any of the reputable tour guides. We have been with Bodden, Rony, and a private person we met through our friend the Security boat driver at Coxen named Witsell James..If you are booked with one of the well known ones you will be fine...

We have a private tour next week and have considered canceling because of recent events. I am fully aware that murders happen in every town in the US and many places all over the world but I am just concerned about not knowing the area and doing a private tour.

I would love to hear your thoughts!

Edited by overthehillcruiser

So you have not heard about the cruise excursion that was held up and robbed? Or the child that was killed on a ship excursion while riding a bus driving past the grave yard?

The excursion robbery was in the eastern Caribbean and no I have not heard of child killed on bus, please provide link.

We were there a month ago, and went on a Bodden tour. I'd definitely go with his company again, and not strike out on my own.

Interestingly enough, our guide told us that there was no crime in Roatan. The mayor won't have it, because if there is crime, then the ships won't come. Obviously so, after this incident.

This is definitely heart breaking for the crew member's friends and family. Also heartbreaking for the honest, hard working people of Roatan who depend on tourism for their livelihood.

Definitely no winners in any of this.