Short Cruises - 2, 3 or 4 days

shellyfronk

I am planning to take my first short cruise (13th overall) this Memorial Day Weekend with Princess out of Ft. Lauderdale. I wondered if anyone would share their feelings about them.

We got an unbelievable price to sail this cruise and thought it a great getaway until we booked our airfare which was about $450 each!!!!!!

Anyway, even though I am going, I am having second thoughts because of the short duration. I hope I am not disappointed.

We also took this opportunity to book an inside room, just to see what it would be like. I don't think I could do it for a week or 10 days, but for a weekend, I could manage.

Have done some 3,4, and 5 night cruises, but never involving an investment in airfare. We simply drove to each port. Don't know how one could invest several hundred in airfare for such a short cruise. May I suggest that you consider combining two (as in back to back) short cruises to make the expenditure more practical.

First day is airports, travel, embarkation, luggage and safety drill. Last night is spent packing, and the last morning sitting in some lounge waiting for your (impossibly high, do they MAKE 30s?) group to be called, then an airport again.

I can't justify the cost of airfare for just a few WHOLE days on vacation. I've done 3,4,5,7, and 12 days... the longer the better!

Ignore the naysayers and have a great time -- I'm sure you will. Personally, I like longer cruises, but am happy with the short itineraries as a mini vacation. If you have a positive attitude, you will have a positive time. And even better, you can probably get by with just a carry-on!

Don't know what to tell you about the inside cabin as that will be a lot of personal preference. For me personally, all things being equal, I don't feel there is a big difference between an inside and an ocean view.

Personally, I would recommend a longer cruise out of your area, rather than the cost of flights and a shorter cruise out of Florida.

But, since it seems like you are booked and beyond refund, go and have a good time. You'll see it's a bit more of a younger party crowd, but still great nonetheless. Short cruises do still make nice getaways. Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by Aquahound

The first day of any cruise is a hassle of getting to the port, waiting to board, and unpacking. The last day is getting off the ship and getting home. A three day cruise really just gives you two days on board versus two travel days - hardly worth the time investment - if air fare is added, it is really not worth the time and cost invested.

My experience on shorter cruises is that everyone is running around like crazy trying to cram in as many events or activities as possible in the short time frame. So I would expect to find venues crowded and perhaps much time spent standing in line. In other words, things won't be like a longer cruise where people more typically chill out and pace themselves.

But that said, I do think short cruises can be worthwhile to, for example, try out a new cruise line or a new cabin option, etc.