So sad...Royal one star reviews

kendon

Open mind? Sounds like you have already been decided.

I read the post differently. The majority of smtcan's post deals with her two son's families and their son's families, and not the OP. The part specifically referring to smtcan uses words like 'may notice' and 'I don't think', indicating that they have not already decided, but 'will keep and open mind'.

We are cruising on Royal in August with our family. We are seasoned cruisers, mainly Celebrity, but with four Princess cruises recently.

One of our sons has cruised once on an older ship with his family, ... for the other son's family it will be the first time.

I doubt if they (referring to the OP's sons and their sons families) will be looking for centre staircases or large balconies, because they have no basis for comparison. I suspect that they will be blown away by the ship, and never miss a wrap around promenade deck.

We (the OP is now referring to themselves only and not the two sons and their families) may notice some differences, but I don't think they will be deal breakers. We will keep an open mind until we experience the Royal for ourselves.

"I don't think they will be deal breakers" smtcan has assessed what may be a potential issue and has made a determination that it will likely not matter.

smtcan has made an informed decision evaluating the ship to their needs which is the right thing to do. So even if they encounter something they are disappointed with they will put it into the context of their pre cruise analysis and move on.

I am sure they will have a wonderful cruise as it is a family cruise which is the priority and they are going in informed.

Who wants to head into a cruise thinking they will be disappointed especially with family?

Who wants to head into a cruise thinking they will be disappointed especially with family?

Lots of people would do that. Some people like to feell superior and point

Out everything they perceive to be a problem, when in reality isn't.

Unfortunately for Princess, perceptions are realities. More importantly, I actually believe that Princess agrees with its customers that these design problems are very real. That's why they are adding a plunge pool (still not as good as swimming pool) and expanding the promenade area. It's also a good reason why both the Regal and Royal will both be doing cooler weather itineraries in 2015. Do you think it's an accident that Regal gets Baltic and Scandinavia and Royal gets British Isles? I think these ships work with those itineraries, but not so much with Caribbean or Mediterranean itineraries where pools and larger balconies are a bit more of a focus. Maybe Princess thought water shows and a sea walk would more than make up for the other areas. That hasn't proven out.

Our extended family of six all cruised together on the Royal Princess last summer and recently cruised together again, this time on Royal Caribbean. This ship had a center staircase, larger pool area (and more chair hogs!), 6' wide balcony on standard balcony cabin and full promenade....and all six of us, including the five year old, agreed that overall we preferred the Royal Princess! ;)

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

Unfortunately for Princess, perceptions are realities. More importantly, I actually believe that Princess agrees with its customers that these design problems are very real. That's why they are adding a plunge pool (still not as good as swimming pool) and expanding the promenade area. It's also a good reason why both the Regal and Royal will both be doing cooler weather itineraries in 2015. Do you think it's an accident that Regal gets Baltic and Scandinavia and Royal gets British Isles? I think these ships work with those itineraries, but not so much with Caribbean or Mediterranean itineraries where pools and larger balconies are a bit more of a focus. Maybe Princess thought water shows and a sea walk would more than make up for the other areas. That hasn't proven out.

IMO your comments are right on (with one exception below). The Royal cruise I took in March (Deluxe Balcony) was heavily discounted. Earlier today I looked at prices for 2015 Caribbean - Regal 7-day is going for just $50 more than Ruby 7-day, similar itineraries. Hard to believe that a brand new ship would command just 50 dollars more.

Not sure if this is correct but I have read that on the Regal there will not be an expanded promenade. This was considered earlier based on comments from Royal passengers but due to the very limited space behind the lifeboats Princess decided against it. I looked at the space behind the boats (there are pictures posted on CC) and even if they were to open the promenade who would want to walk there? It did not look appealing.

JP ...

I said "I am sure they will have a wonderful cruise as it is a family cruise which is the priority and they are going in informed.

Who wants to head into a cruise thinking they will be disappointed especially with family? "

I am pointing out smtcan has made an informed decision and is determined to have a good time and there will be no deal breakers.

They are on a family cruise so smtcan is not going thinking it will be a bad cruise. They are going as a family so baring illness or injury they are sure to have a great cruise.

No negative intent or sarcasm in my post but if I read your post correctly you imply that was my intent or you have a comprehension problem?

Some really do only see negativity and feel the need to school people when they have a problem of superiority themselves.

I understand how cruisers can have great time on Royal as some of my best cruise memories were on barges and scows by today's cruise ship standards.

So I would have no problem cruising Royal and enjoying myself as I know her deficiencies.

I would not show up and be upset that I have to pay to use the sauna or that the gym is not very good and is intruded on by people moving through the ship, I would not fuss over the lack of a centre stair case as I am mobile and I tend to book on the aft but I would not book an aft cabin as there is the potential of soot raining down which would ruin my cruise if I paid the premium for an aft cabin. This and lots more.

This thread is about why people post 1* reviews for Royal, after reading dmwnc1959 's review a 5+* which I agree he rated correctly for his experience but if you read the review he identified serious problems with Royal. He reported people climbing over seats in the theater because the design is flawed as there are blind rows. It did not impact on him but what about the cruisers that were doing this to exit I am sure they would rate the theater experience a 1.

Edited by baldercash

But again, this has to be looked at with a long view, and we aren't there yet. A ship could return more on investment in the first two years than other ships because peoples' per day spending is higher. Yipee! But if a lot of those people are left with a negative impression and spread the word that the ship is not worth the extra cost and bookings slip in years 3-10, then was the ship a success?

Why would one care? The original post was about how sad for

royal princess. If royal princess is or is not a success, it doesn't

affect me personally. I didn't make any of the design decisions,

so my feelings aren't hurt. Nor do I get any reward based on

whether the ship performs or now.

JP ...

I said "I am sure they will have a wonderful cruise as it is a family cruise which is the priority and they are going in informed.

Who wants to head into a cruise thinking they will be disappointed especially with family? "

I am pointing out smtcan has made an informed decision and is determined to have a good time and there will be no deal breakers.

They are on a family cruise so smtcan is not going thinking it will be a bad cruise. They are going as a family so baring illness or injury they are sure to have a great cruise.

No negative intent or sarcasm in my post but if I read your post correctly you imply that was my intent or you have a comprehension problem?

Some really do only see negativity and feel the need to school people when they have a problem of superiority themselves.

I understand how cruisers can have great time on Royal as some of my best cruise memories were on barges and scows by today's cruise ship standards.

So I would have no problem cruising Royal and enjoying myself as I know her deficiencies.

I would not show up and be upset that I have to pay to use the sauna or that the gym is not very good and is intruded on by people moving through the ship, I would not fuss over the lack of a centre stair case as I am mobile and I tend to book on the aft but I would not book an aft cabin as there is the potential of soot raining down which would ruin my cruise if I paid the premium for an aft cabin. This and lots more.

This thread is about why people post 1* reviews for Royal, after reading dmwnc1959 's review a 5+* which I agree he rated correctly for his experience but if you read the review he identified serious problems with Royal. He reported people climbing over seats in the theater because the design is flawed as there are blind rows. It did not impact on him but what about the cruisers that were doing this to exit I am sure they would rate the theater experience a 1.

Yep. That's what I was thinking. And I'm totally stupid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unfortunately for Princess, perceptions are realities. More importantly, I actually believe that Princess agrees with its customers that these design problems are very real. That's why they are adding a plunge pool (still not as good as swimming pool) and expanding the promenade area.

It was reported back in January that this is NOT going to happen. Unless you have current information as of this week that it is, it might not be a good idea to keep repeating this 'rumor'.

You say plunge pool and I say dipping pool. :eek:

I certainly would not expect much of this new 'aft pool' on Regal Princess. I'm not a marine engineer, but I do wonder just how much additional weight/structure they could have added before affecting the ships drag at the ducktail? Also, they could not 'dig down' into the deck due to the Outrigger Bar being there, so everything had to be built above deck. But as it was mentioned elsewhere, it will provide another place for people to gather around a 'wet area' and hog chairs. ;)

If everyone is all flustered by the Royal. Take a look at the RCCL boards when everyone found out the Quantum was being deployed in China after the first season in the USA.

If everyone is all flustered by the Royal. Take a look at the RCCL boards when everyone found out the Quantum was being deployed in China after the first season in the USA.

I would happily trade Royal to get Sapphire or Diamond back

I would happily trade Royal to get Sapphire or Diamond back

While I haven't been on the Royal, I would agree with this. Some of the things I enjoy on a ship are not present on the Royal. I also don't go by the notion that "bigger is always better" - the ships I have liked have been Sapphire/Diamond size or smaller.

Edited by Coral

I suppose I'm missing the analogy here.

The Quantum is going to China and its new sister ship, the Anthem, is replacing it in the NY area. The Anthem was supposed to be deployed in Florida, but RCI will have a third Oasis ship based there a year later as well as other Quantum sister ships. It seems like RCI's problems are the kind you don't mind having. Princess' problems with the Royal Class seem more like problems you really don't want.

The Quantum is going to China and its new sister ship, the Anthem, is replacing it in the NY area. The Anthem was supposed to be deployed in Florida, but RCI will have a third Oasis ship based there a year later as well as other Quantum sister ships. It seems like RCI's problems are the kind you don't mind having. Princess' problems with the Royal Class seem more like problems you really don't want.

I think those who sail out of FL wanted the Quantum ship sooner rather than later.

No big loss, who wants to fly around in circles over a cruise ship in a plexiglass sphere? :rolleyes:

No big loss, who wants to fly around in circles over a cruise ship in a plexiglass sphere? :rolleyes:

Though, RCCL has expanded their night time entertainment and it is pretty decent entertainment where Princess seems to be cutting back on that.

Though, RCCL has expanded their night time entertainment and it is pretty decent entertainment where Princess seems to be cutting back on that.

Agreed! Princess night time entertainment is definitely lacking. Glad we can make our own entertainment. We travel with friends who enjoy playing cards and that's what we do when we find nothing offered by Princess. That is happening more and more often.

Me too. I am contemplating a 10-day Caribbean in Jan/Feb 15 and would much prefer doing it on the Emerald or the Ruby.

Am I the only one who hated the Diamond? Did not care for the four small dining rooms at all.

What are problems to you are not problems to me. Quantum of the Seas??? I couldn't run far enough away!

See what I mean? To each his own. :)