Another question on Alaska attire:)

cricri7

Hi guys...I am leaving with my parents on the Zuiderdam on May 10th and am in a bind about what to pack!!! I read many things on the internet but I am wondering if I have to take into account that I am going in May.

*Do I need to bring a winter coat for the more northern ports of call like Juneau? Would I be okay with a spring coat or is it that windy that I would need a winter coat?

*Do I need big winter boots? We plan on taking a train excursion, no hiking for us definitely, so would we need the big boots or only walking shoes would be okay?

*Bug spray....really? I am used to July in northern Quebec so I am used to big bugs but I don't plan on going hiking, only trains and walks around the ship. We won't take the wilderness tours either...do we need bug spray if we go walking around the ship in the towns?

*When we are out on deck watching the scenery, is it that cold? I read somewhere that you need a winter coat and hat...what do you guys think?

We are flying from Montreal and are doing 3 days before and 2 days after in Vancouver so we need clothes like for every season!!!

I am anxious to hear from those who have done May cruises to Alaska!!

We do layers. Winter coat (wool) stays home. We bring down jackets and waterproof (gortex) over layer and a wool cap with gloves, fleece pants and a wind proof /waterproof pair of rain pants. I don't think you'll need boots but plan to get your feet wet (so have a change of shoes). We spent most of our time on deck and are usually on the bow or overlooking same for sail in and sailaway.

[quote name='cricri7']Hi guys...I am leaving with my parents on the Zuiderdam on May 10th and am in a bind about what to pack!!! I read many things on the internet but I am wondering if I have to take into account that I am going in May.

*Do I need to bring a winter coat for the more northern ports of call like Juneau? Would I be okay with a spring coat or is it that windy that I would need a winter coat?

*Do I need big winter boots? We plan on taking a train excursion, no hiking for us definitely, so would we need the big boots or only walking shoes would be okay?

*Bug spray....really? I am used to July in northern Quebec so I am used to big bugs but I don't plan on going hiking, only trains and walks around the ship. We won't take the wilderness tours either...do we need bug spray if we go walking around the ship in the towns?

*When we are out on deck watching the scenery, is it that cold? I read somewhere that you need a winter coat and hat...what do you guys think?

We are flying from Montreal and are doing 3 days before and 2 days after in Vancouver so we need clothes like for every season!!!

I am anxious to hear from those who have done May cruises to Alaska!![/QUOTE]
[COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]I can only answer based on our 14 day Alaska cruise, departing May 13, 2011. We took water resistant heavy hooded parkas with fleece zip-out lining. We bought low cut hiking boots. I think you would be okay with heavy sneakers if you are not going hiking. Remember it might rain though, so any footwear waterproofed would be best. We did not take bug spray. Maybe in summer months it might be needed? When out on deck viewing the scenery, remember that the ship is moving - therefore there is a breeze-like effect. And if you are in the glaciers - you are basically cruising through water with ICE on either side! It could be frigid - and I'm not kidding. If you want to be comfortable you will need a hat that covers your ears, a scarf to cover your nose and mouth and gloves/mittens. For daytime clothing we had long underwear (tops & bottoms), jeans and corduroy pants, tops that could be layered. And of course, sweatshirts. Layering is the key for packing to visit Alaska in May.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR] Edited by Linda&Vern

Layers.
I've been cold in glacier Bay in May, but then I'm acclimatized to Southern Arizona.
It has also been warm, comparatively, in May. You won't know until you get there.
long sleeve shirts, hoodies, jackets for 40 F.
I doubt you will need boots or bug spray if you stay out of the woods.
All of the ports tn southeast Alaska are about the same climate.

We were the first ship in one year-late April-and we had shorts and T-shirt weather. Next time we went in August and had cold rain every day. Only conclusion is Alaska weather is totally unpredictable.

Gary

I live in southeastern Alaska and maybe have some advice. I don't think you need winter coat or winter boots. Maybe the spring coat as you suggest and possibly a windbreaker. It can be windy on deck. Walking shoes are fine, but bring shoes you don't mind getting wet. Also, I don't think you will need bug spray.

It can get cold out on deck, so a hat and gloves would be good. Our winters and mosi issues pale compared to Ontario.

May and June are great times to cruise in southeastern Alaska. Also, weather in Vancouver should be very nice and pleasant.

Many of the posters who bring winter wear are from the southern U.S. Mid-May weather should be similar to late April weather in Montreal. Highs around 13 Celsius and lows around 5 Celsius. Vancouver might be a couple of degrees warmer, but not much.

We lived in Maine when we went to Alaska. We dressed almost exactly like we did at home. I take that back. We *did* dress exactly like we did at home. You'll probably find that it's similar for you, just possibly rainier.

Since everyone is different, I can only report what clothing I have learned to bring on my Alaska cruises:

Dressing in layers allows you to remove items when the temperature rises.
1. Water-resistant hooded-parka (Columbia) with zip-out liner.
2. Sweatshirts.
3. Long underwear (UnderArmour 1.0 Basic tops and bottoms that are very lightweight for temps down to 38 degrees). Washed by hand, they dry in an hour.
4. Cargo pants and jeans.
5. Hiking shoes (Merrell Waterproof).
6. Hiking (warm) socks for outside and casual socks for on board.
7. Gloves (I use photographers gloves with pull-open index fingers).
8. Fur cap with ear flaps or stocking cap. The wind on a verandah when the ship is moving can chill to the bone.
9. Rain poncho (They measure the rain in Southeast Alaska in feet rather than inches).
10. Formal wear (sport jacket, shirt, tie, cargo pants from above, and casual shoes or hiking shoes from above).
11. Bathing suit for the hot tub.

As you are from Montreal, you will definitely not need your winter coat or winter boots. Stick to your spring wardrobe.

Expect the Alaska weather in May to be similar to Montreal's April weather. Mid teens to twenties temperatures during the day, dropping as low as 5 degrees or so during the night. The rains can be much heavier on the west coast, so concentrate more on keeping dry than keeping warm. Even though farther north, the proximity of the ocean keeps the temperatures moderate.

It is too early in the season for the bugs to have developed their taste for blood enough to venture into the cities. You can leave the spray at home.

You might consider bringing light gloves and a hat to combat windchill, but this only applies when walking the outer decks of the ship. None of the ports on Zuiderdam's itinerary are very windy.

Enjoy your cruise

[quote name='cricri7']Hi guys...I am leaving with my parents on the Zuiderdam on May 10th and am in a bind about what to pack!!! I read many things on the internet but I am wondering if I have to take into account that I am going in May.

I am anxious to hear from those who have done May cruises to Alaska!![/quote]

We will be on the first Alaska cruise of the season on the Zuiderdam. With that in mind I went for a test walk early in March dressed in what I thought would be appropriate for the coldest spot, which would be Glacier Bay. The temperature was around 36F.

I wore an early spring long, hooded jacket. It is water resistant and has a bonded fuzzy lining. I wore long underwear, long sleeved shirt and a wool sweater. Also had a scarf, gloves and toque. I didn't wear my travel rain poncho but will have one packed. I was quite comfortable and toward the end of the walk I had to unzip the jacket a bit.

There is still snow on the ground here in New Brunswick and the temps are in the 30's and 40's but the paved areas are bare. The first thing to go are the winter boots. Everyone is sick of them and unless I were going hiking in the woods in Alaska I would not bother with boots. I have just packed comfortable walking shoes sprayed with water repellant. Two pair each in case they do get wet.

Packing for Alaska has been a challenge as our cruise starts in Fort Lauderdale. :eek:

I suppose if you come from the southern US you might have to bundle up more warmly as you are not acclimatised.
I know when we get to Florida and find a temperature in the low 70's we think we are in Heaven but the locals are complaining about it being cool.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=5]Layering is the key. We have gortex jackets with zippered linings. We also take water proof shoes. Small portable umbrellas are nice to throw into a back pack. We also take hats and gloves. Sweaters that can be easily removed should you get too warm.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=5][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=5]May can be a chilly, rainy month. It was the one time we cruised during that time. But remember that weather is unpredictable.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=5][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=5]Seeing as you are from Montreal, you are used to colder temperatures. But you won't need a heavy winter coat.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='Krazy Kruizers']
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=5]May can be a chilly, rainy month. It was the one time we cruised during that time. But remember that weather is unpredictable.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[/quote]

I always thought that May and June were the driest months in Alaska. Of course, anomalies do occur. I do recall being on the Zuiderdam in May/09 and my friend getting sunburned in Glacier Bay when it was 20C! I've been to Ketchikan twice in May and it has been nice both times. Looking forward to a third time next month!

OP, you've been given some good advice about leaving the boots and winter coat at home. I would also consider if you are a "warm" person or one who feels the cold more than others. I, myself, am always warm or hot. The dressing in layers is important for Alaska. I've been fine with a light jacket, out on the deck of the moving ship while others were bundled up. But if you are one who feels the cold more than other people, then dress in warmer layers. Yes, you may want a toque and gloves for your viewing from the ship.

And you won't need bug spray in May, particularly not for what you plan to do. There will likely be snow, on your Skagway train trip, up at the top.

And do prepare for rain. I find that if I prepare for rain, it won't rain!!! :D

Thank you so much for all your great answers!! I will definitely leave the winter boots and coat at home and will look into a windbreaker with a hoodie. We are all very excited about doing this cruise for the first time!