Menu

I will be sailing on Explorer in July and would like to book a dinner at Portofino. I want to make sure I book it on a night where the menu in the MDR is one I don't particulary care for. In other words, I don't want to be eating in Portofino on the night when they are serving lobster in the MDR.

Is there a way I can find out in advance what the MDR menu is for every night of the cruise?

Thanks in advance for any help.

If you go to Portofino when you board, they can show you the menus for the week. I've found the menu for the last night is often the weakest but choose for yourself.

Yes, that's what I usually do also. But it seems when I book on board, most of the times I want are already taken on the nights I want to go. That's why I'm wondering if there's a way to find out the menu before I board so I can book it now.

Yes, that's what I usually do also. But it seems when I book on board, most of the times I want are already taken on the nights I want to go. That's why I'm wondering if there's a way to find out the menu before I board so I can book it now.

Not sure what itinerary you are going on, but I leave in 2 weeks (happy dance) and plan on posting the compasses since recent ones are lacking. I will happily include the menus for the night as well...but you will have to wait about 4 weeks?! (doing a 9nighter)

Not sure what itinerary you are going on, but I leave in 2 weeks (happy dance) and plan on posting the compasses since recent ones are lacking. I will happily include the menus for the night as well...but you will have to wait about 4 weeks?! (doing a 9nighter)

I'm doing the 9 nighter as well. Seeing the compasses would be great.

Thank you so much! That will allow me to book Portofino ahead of time and actually get a day and time I like. :)

Thank you so much! That will allow me to book Portofino ahead of time and actually get a day and time I like. :)

No problem!! I need to pay it forward, I have read so many others posts!!! Do you need photos of the menus or just the names w/ the days?? I was not planning on taking pics of the menus as I do not think they change from ship to ship.. Let me know if there is anything else!

No problem!! I need to pay it forward, I have read so many others posts!!! Do you need photos of the menus or just the names w/ the days?? I was not planning on taking pics of the menus as I do not think they change from ship to ship.. Let me know if there is anything else!

I don't need photos. Just the names with the days would be great. I will probably book Portofino when they have the Caribbean night menu assuming they still have that. I haven't cruised in a few years.

Thanks again!

On past Ex Bermuda 5 nights, formal night has been night 2 (sirloin of beef) and lobster has been night 5.

I would probably book Portofino for your port night (3), as I think the menus are usually not as good on the port days (a lot less people in the dining rooms on port days). btw I don't think they call it Caribbean Night any more. They have weird names now.

Here are Radio's menus from the April 2013 5 night. Most current I could find. http://public.fotki.com/Radio88/explorer-of-the-sea-5/menus-cruise-compas/

Edited by marci22

Here is the link to the menus, although I do not know how they do it for a 5 day cruise. These were in order for the 7 day FOS last year. I know it is not exactly what you wanted but you can get an idea of the themes and know which one you want to skip for Portofinos when you board.

http://www.royalcaribbeanpresscenter.com/press-kit/9/culinary-press-kit/

Menu for the 9 Night. This was as of last July. I will type the menu for some of the days that are unique to the 9 day or longer (Portabello, Tarragon)

Day 1 Mojo

Day 2 Saffron (At sea)

Day 3 Pimiento (Bermuda)

Day 4 Portabello (At sea)

Day 5 Tarragon (St. Maarten)

Day 6 Shiitake (San Juan)

Day 7 Basil (Labadee)

Day 8 Jasmine (At Sea) (Lobster Night)

Day 9 Pomodoro (At Sea)

Menu for the 9 Night. This was as of last July. I will type the menu for some of the days that are unique to the 9 day or longer (Portabello, Tarragon)

Day 1 Mojo

Day 2 Saffron (At sea)

Day 3 Pimiento (Bermuda)

Day 4 Portabello (At sea)

Day 5 Tarragon (St. Maarten)

Day 6 Shiitake (San Juan)

Day 7 Basil (Labadee)

Day 8 Jasmine (At Sea) (Lobster Night)

Day 9 Pomodoro (At Sea)

Thank you. This is very helpful. The 9 nighter I'm doing is same itinerary as this one so I would assume the menu would be the same. They do use fancy words now so I'm not sure what these words mean in terms of food. :)

I'm pretty sure that lobster night is a formal night. Does anyone know when the first formal night would be? I'm thinking it would be day 2. Is that correct?

Thank you. This is very helpful. The 9 nighter I'm doing is same itinerary as this one so I would assume the menu would be the same. They do use fancy words now so I'm not sure what these words mean in terms of food. :)

I'm pretty sure that lobster night is a formal night. Does anyone know when the first formal night would be? I'm thinking it would be day 2. Is that correct?

First formal night is first sea day evening...saffron menu based on this list.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 1 month later...

I don't need photos. Just the names with the days would be great. I will probably book Portofino when they have the Caribbean night menu assuming they still have that. I haven't cruised in a few years.

Thanks again!

Any info on the Portabella and Tarragon Menu .... pleeeeze:D

Thanks again!

I have found that a Caribbean night menu is usually my least favorite selection of entrees. :)

You can pretty much bet the house they will not have Lobster on any of the first 4 or 5 nights of a 9 night cruise.

Jimbo:)

Edited by Jimbo