Which ships have balcony cabins for four adults?

SandG

My 23 year old daughter has cruised with us as a third passenger for many, many years, and now she wants to bring along her boyfriend. But they are both grad students (poor) and they'd like to pay just the third/fourth person supplement and stay with us when we take our next cruise. They and some friends did a Carnival cruise last month and had four in the room with twins, berth and sofabed, so they were hoping they could have the same sleeping arrangements (with a queen for us) if they join us.

We like sailing Celebrity, Royal Caribbean and Princess, and we also like balconies. I would like to find out if any of the ships might offer a cabin layout that would include a queen and room for two other non-married adults (sofabed/berth or two berths). I know the alternative is getting a balcony and a nearby inside, but that means that either my husband and I split up or let them sleep together in the inside (awkward for us) and also that is more money than they can easily come up with.

I'm sure I'm not the first to have this dilemma and would like to hear what others have done.

Sue

My family and I had an inside balcony on Oasis that had a Pullman bed and a sofabed. There was four of us, all adults and it was fine. I'm sure there are other balcony rooms that can hold four adults. You can try a family stateroom, which will room up to 5 but it's inside. I know they have them on Freedom of the Seas.

I know that you are against separate cabins however depending on the sailing many times you will find it is cheaper to get the inside cabin vs the 3/4 rates for a balcony. Also you avoid 4 adults sharing 1 bathroom.

I was afraid that might be the case, some of the larger cabins are definitely more expensive then a balcony and inside. Regarding the bathroom, when it was the three of us sailing, one or two of us would often use the showers at the fitness center on mornings when we have to get an early start.

I was afraid that might be the case, some of the larger cabins are definitely more expensive then a balcony and inside. Regarding the bathroom, when it was the three of us sailing, one or two of us would often use the showers at the fitness center on mornings when we have to get an early start.

Unless you are in a suite or a family ocean view balcony, which is specific to Oasis class ships, the two standard balcony stateroom categories that can hold four are "D" and "E" categories, with the "D" only being slightly larger than the "E".

As suggested, your best option would probably an inside / outside balcony combination.

We have booked a balcony cabin on the Grandeur that sleeps four. We also have one that sleeps two. The agent told me one has a couch that doesn't fold out (so sleeps 2) and the other has one that does (and therefore sleeps 4).

If you feel awkward allowing your daughter and her boyfriend to bunk together, could you book a cabin with a fold-out couch for yourself and your husband and an inside cabin NOMINALLY for your daughter and boyfriend, and then have her sleep on your fold-out couch? I believe you can get the seapasses coded to open both cabins.

I would skip the cruise before I would be in a cabin with 4 people, especially my adult children.

My kids are 12 & 8 and we put them in there own inside cabin for the last 7 cruises..

Those rooms are just way to small.

Think about all the body noises & smells you will encounter in a confined space for a week....

My first post was based on the title.

Did I read this correctly? You want to bring your daughter and her boyfriend and share a cabin with you two? No no no no no.

Book two rooms or a suite with multiple rooms. That is such a bad idea. That is not a vacation for anybody.

My 23 year old daughter has cruised with us as a third passenger for many, many years, and now she wants to bring along her boyfriend. But they are both grad students (poor) and they'd like to pay just the third/fourth person supplement and stay with us when we take our next cruise. They and some friends did a Carnival cruise last month and had four in the room with twins, berth and sofabed, so they were hoping they could have the same sleeping arrangements (with a queen for us) if they join us.

We like sailing Celebrity, Royal Caribbean and Princess, and we also like balconies. I would like to find out if any of the ships might offer a cabin layout that would include a queen and room for two other non-married adults (sofabed/berth or two berths). I know the alternative is getting a balcony and a nearby inside, but that means that either my husband and I split up or let them sleep together in the inside (awkward for us) and also that is more money than they can easily come up with.

I'm sure I'm not the first to have this dilemma and would like to hear what others have done.

Sue

Sue, to answer your basic question: EVERY ship in the fleet has balcony cabins with four berths.

There is a combo on both Voyager class ships and Freedom class ships that is a balcony cabin CONNECTED to an inside. You could leave the door open all the time, if your aim is to never give them any privacy.

That combo is the last two cabins back on Deck 9, one pair on starboard side and one pair on port side.

You will see this on all 8 of the aforementioned ships.

Edited by Merion_Mom

Just a suggestion and not a perfect answer as that has already been stated. However, cost wise you might find that two rooms might do the trick and be cheaper. We were shocked that two connecting rooms on our upcoming cruise were cheaper than one interior room. Our 2 rooms are in a better category as well. I'm talking strictly cost here.

We have done 2 adult and 2 small kids in a room and it is absolutely doable It is honestly very tight and quite miserable and I'm all about saving money. We are those people who are never in the rooms. Even so, that is a very tight space for 4 adults.

Debbie

Not seeing that this in any way is helpful re: the OPs question.

The OP did state they felt awkward about them sleeping together in their own room. I think it was a realistic response if maybe a bit blunt. The daughter is 23, so keeping them in separate beds is a bit different to a 16 year old daughter.

I personally feel that a separate room would be very little difference in price most likely, and even for a little extra the personal space would be my preference. Whatever adds up as more important for the OP however. Many people are not aware how much the 3 and 4 passenger costs compared to the original 2 passengers having a cheaper price in a category room for 2.

For example, the following prices are in AUD on an AU site, not any relation to probably where you are going, for a 7 night Radiance class cruise. If you squeeze four in, I would think a D1, whereas 2 persons in a E2 would be ok. Then you could look at insides on the same deck or other decks. When you add up the different combinations and decide if you want to share or have some personal space, then it will be right for you. US prices may be quite different for the sailing you are contemplating.

Where it says sold out, that actually means an option not available. The D1 is for up to 4, the D2 is limited to 2 etc. I actually think that by going in your room that will possibly be paying more compared to an inside. Sorry I have missed the headings there. It is Single, Dual, Triple, and Quad share in the columns across.

samplepricing-1.jpg

Edited by goodycruising

Thanks all. I find it very interesting that an inside cabin, in some cases, can be not much difference in price from a 3rd/4th supplement. I've seen other times when the 3rd/4th is really cheap, but maybe it doesn't happen so often. I really like the idea of booking a balcony and inside and then having our daughter sleep in the sofabed or berth in our room if we could get away with that. The Voyager combo sounds interesting too.

And yes ... I know they are young adults and when they are away in grad school, they are going to do what they are going to do. And I totally accept that. But I purposely used the word "awkward" for this situation. They would feel just as awkward going to their own cabin when we are all vacationing together. They sleep in separate bedrooms when they are visiting our house and have never asked or expected to do otherwise. It was my daughter's idea that we all share a cabin.

That sounds like a good solution...the book two twin/dual rooms and your daughter can stay with you. Just need to make sure you have a sofa available. Now you just need to crunch the numbers for the trip you are looking at. Hope it is a great trip!

Edited by goodycruising

I completely understand the awkward part. Im almost 40 now but even when I was engaged we never slept in the same bed at my parents. If you booked 2 rooms or a connecting room you could have that access to the extra square footage and 2 bathrooms. I was shocked to find out it was cheaper to book 2 central park view rooms on the allure for the 4 of us than it was for the 4 of us on the cheapest interior. It was only slightly higher to have one balcony and one inside across the hall. Rccl is tricky with their numbers. Even back when they had 3rd and 4th sail free some were reporting great savings while other trips were just greatly increased in price to offset the difference. A good travel agent can also help you find adjoining rooms or a solution on a boat that works best for you, but it also helps to spend the time playing around with the numbers on the website yourself. One thing I learned though is that the website did not always show all the rooms available. Mine showed no connecting cabins available and my agent found one. If you can find the 2 cabins vs all of you squeezing into one, I think you will be a lot happier.

Debbie

Sent from my Iphone 7