Any Informtion on Recent Norovirus Outbreaks on any Celebrity Ships Leaving from Flor

LewiLewi

From the CDC:

Cruise Line Cruise Ship Sailing Dates Causative Agent

Princess Cruises Crown Princess 4/5 - 4/12 Unknown

Royal Caribbean Cruise Line Grandeur of the Seas 4/5 - 4/12 Unknown

Royal Caribbean Cruise Line Grandeur of the Seas 3/28 - 4/5 Norovirus

Holland America Line ms Maasdam 3/2 - 3/28 Unknown

Holland America Line ms Veendam 2/8 - 2/22 Norovirus

Princess Cruise Lines Caribbean Princess 1/25 - 2/1 Norovirus

Royal Caribbean Cruise Line Explorer of the Seas 1/21 - 1/31 Norovirus

Norwegian Cruise Line Norwegian Star 1/5 - 1/19 Norovirus

We just recently returned from a cruise that originated in FL on Celebrity and there were no issues. In fact, I have not heard of any issues on any Celebrity ship so far this year. The clientele tend to be a bit more mature and takes full advantage of the sanitizers and washing their hands frequently.

We are boarding a Celebrity ship in the very near future leaving from FL and we are wondering whether we need to be aware of any recent Norovirus outbreaks.

Thank you

There was an outbreak on the 2/8/14 saililng of the Eclipse out of Ft. Lauderdale which caused a delayed cabin availability for my 2/22/14 sailing. The buffet was not self serve for the first couple of days, but then everything returned to normal.

We just recently returned from a cruise that originated in FL on Celebrity and there were no issues. In fact, I have not heard of any issues on any Celebrity ship so far this year. The clientele tend to be a bit more mature and takes full advantage of the sanitizers and washing their hands frequently.

I beg to inform you that there was issue on the Millennium in the past month. We boarded the ship in Hong Kong on Mar 16,2014. It was under the CODE-RED, they serve the food to you in the buffet, no salt and pepper shakers, no bread on the dining room table, no news anourncement about the virus from the captain for all the two weeks on the ship, ha. Luckily, we had good weather in Vietnam, Thailand and Singapore, we have had a nice cruise. Goog luck, Cary:)

And it was all over the Infinity until about a week ago.

As I've said before, the CDC only reports on ships that make US port stops. Hence, our January sailing on the NCL Jade and the recent outbreaks on the X Infinity are NOT INCLUDED on the CDC reports.

And you have a pretty good chance if catching noro (or some other not very nice GI illness) at the airport, on a bus, on the plane, in any tourist oriented attraction, at your local grocery, etc. It's here, there, and everywhere.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forums mobile app

Edited by jkgourmet

There was just a large outbreak of noro here in Vegas. Several hundred people got sick in hotels and conventions. So yes, it can happen anywhere and spreads quickly especially in large groups confined to small areas...like a ship!

WASH YOUR HANDS!!

I beg to inform you that there was issue on the Millennium in the past month. We boarded the ship in Hong Kong on Mar 16,2014. It was under the CODE-RED, they serve the food to you in the buffet, no salt and pepper shakers, no bread on the dining room table, no news anourncement about the virus from the captain for all the two weeks on the ship, ha. Luckily, we had good weather in Vietnam, Thailand and Singapore, we have had a nice cruise. Goog luck, Cary:)

The bread baskets and salt & pepper were still on the tables in the dining room and specialty restraunts in the Infinity during her recent 15 days over 2 cruises code red. only oceanview cafe had them replaced with the packets that you got at the forward

cutlery attendant. They even had vinager at the front and the fish and chips were served at the back of the oceanview where the sandwiches are served which also had a cutlery attendant bu they did not supply him with vinager, only the one at the front.

And it was all over the Infinity until about a week ago.

As I've said before, the CDC only reports on ships that make US port stops. Hence, our January sailing on the NCL Jade and the recent outbreaks on the X Infinity are NOT INCLUDED on the CDC reports.

And you have a pretty good chance if catching noro (or some other not very nice GI illness) at the airport, on a bus, on the plane, in any tourist oriented attraction, at your local grocery, etc. It's here, there, and everywhere.

The 3/16 Infinity sailing should have been on the cdc website as it arrived in to a US port.. The 3/17/13 sailing that was the same route except it ended in Ft Lauderdale instead of Miami was listed

Um...

On our 50 cruises, 20 on Celebrity, I have to say that the WORST adherence to hygiene was on Celebrity, the best on NCL. Maybe the "washy washy" on NCL has an effect. :)

I beg to inform you they said specifically out of FL not Hong Kong!

The bread baskets and salt & pepper were still on the tables in the dining room and specialty restraunts in the Infinity during her recent 15 days over 2 cruises code red. only oceanview cafe had them replaced with the packets that you got at the forward

cutlery attendant. They even had vinager at the front and the fish and chips were served at the back of the oceanview where the sandwiches are served which also had a cutlery attendant bu they did not supply him with vinager, only the one at the front.

These lapses of 'cleaning up the ship' may explain why it took X 2+ weeks to control the germs.

In contrast, our January 2014 cruise on the NCL Jade had those evil germs exterminated in less than four days. Truly, it was astonishing to see everyone in the staff (including officers!) sanitizing the crap in every nook and cranny. We've never seen anything like it. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

We were super impressed with NCL for that effort. But don't get me started on the food. :thumbdown:

Edited by jkgourmet

I love Celebrity but people are people. I saw a lady picking food out of her teeth with her fingernails while sitting in the buffet. She may have sanitized her hands upon entering but once she put her fingers in her mouth her hand sanitizing is worth nothing.

I love Celebrity but people are people. I saw a lady picking food out of her teeth with her fingernails while sitting in the buffet. She may have sanitized her hands upon entering but once she put her fingers in her mouth her hand sanitizing is worth nothing.

I don't mean to be "picky" but no lady picks her teeth with anything, not in public, at least. I'm sure you meant to say "a woman"...

We were on the 3-31-14 sailing of Silhouette. We were told by a staff member in Blu towards the end of the cruise that there was a pretty significant Noro outbreak and watched them wiping all the menus down etc. We have never heard so many people coughing and sneezing on a cruise before. I just think it's the never ending winter we had across the country. We sat a couple of tables away from a young couple while we were waiting to disembark and were listening to them recount their story of being quarantined for 48 hours in their cabin. No mention of it during the cruise except for the one crew member in Blu. Wanda

I was on the Feb. 8th Eclipse sailing and there was Noro on the ship along with an upper respiratory illness that I and several others caught. I do not know what the respiratory illness was even after visiting with the ship's Dr. and I was not put into quarantine.

When traveling in confined quarters like a cruise or anywhere please wash your hands often - with soap and water.Before meals, after using the bathroom. Runnign water on your hands does not solve the problem. You must use soap. Also, please cover your mouth when you cough. Not with your hand but with a tissue or your sleeve. Then do not shake hands with some one. Please do not touch a food item and then put it back. If you touched it you own it. If there is an item such as peanuts in a bowl please use a spoon or other utensil to place it on the plate. Do not take some put it in your mouth then go back for more using your fingers. Please consider your fellow passengers and their health - which by the way could effect yours. Rant over. Thank you all for your future consideration.

I was shocked when we were on Silhouette that they don't dump the bar snacks they put in front of you after you leave. Both the Martini Bar and the Ensemble Lounge had little glass containers with bar snacks in them that they would put in front of you when you sat down for a drink. Silly me - I thought they dumped them when you were done. They would put the containers behind the bar when people would leave and then put them back up when people sat down. We watched as people put their hands, instead of using the spoon, into the glass, popped the snacks in their mouth and then put their hand back in the glass. :eek: No more bar snacks for me. :mad: My husband said "why do you think I NEVER eat that stuff?" So gross!

I was shocked when we were on Silhouette that they don't dump the bar snacks they put in front of you after you leave. Both the Martini Bar and the Ensemble Lounge had little glass containers with bar snacks in them that they would put in front of you when you sat down for a drink. Silly me - I thought they dumped them when you were done. They would put the containers behind the bar when people would leave and then put them back up when people sat down. We watched as people put their hands, instead of using the spoon, into the glass, popped the snacks in their mouth and then put their hand back in the glass. :eek: No more bar snacks for me. :mad: My husband said "why do you think I NEVER eat that stuff?" So gross!

Hey - we saw a woman use the spoon to scoop out some snacks, put the spoon IN HER MOUTH and then put the spoon back in the snack mix. Some people came to sit next to her and she slid the bowl over to them.

I love little snackies but I will never eat them from a bar, anywhere!!

The bar snacks were served on the infinity by request. During code red Bar tenders were told not to serve them at all and deny any requests for them but they served them anyway when requested. The jars had fingerprints on them that were visable when sunlight hit them.

If you get quarantined - and can't leave your cabin for days and days, does the cruise line give you anything for compensation? I know their job is to protect other passengers, but would be pretty crappy to catch a virus from other passengers while on board and then spend the rest of your cruise in your room.

If you get quarantined - and can't leave your cabin for days and days, does the cruise line give you anything for compensation? I know their job is to protect other passengers, but would be pretty crappy to catch a virus from other passengers while on board and then spend the rest of your cruise in your room.

I'm sure someone who has experienced this will chime in. When I overheard the couple who was quarantined talking on our last cruise they were telling another couple that they got free, unlimited movies and their port charges reimbursed. Yet another reason to have insurance. I assume if you have insurance you could file a claim. Unfortunately I think being quarantined is why a lot of people don't say anything. :mad:

I'm sure someone who has experienced this will chime in. When I overheard the couple who was quarantined talking on our last cruise they were telling another couple that they got free, unlimited movies and their port charges reimbursed. Yet another reason to have insurance. I assume if you have insurance you could file a claim. Unfortunately I think being quarantined is why a lot of people don't say anything. :mad:

No, insurance will not cover this as you suffered no MONETARY loss. Medical costs incurred on the ship might be covered and reimbursed.

Yes, many people do not report because they do not want to be quarantined.

The NORO Virus is the second most common illness in the US behind the common cold. We only here about this illness here(forums) because of reporting requirements to the CDC. Here in Ohio February 2014 a Nursing Home had an out break. I only no about it because The Columbus Dispatch had a story on page 3, and that was the ONLY mention of it.

I personally have confidence every Cruise Line takes cleaning, and precautions seriously. WE the travelers bring the illness on board, and then spread it. WE the travelers need to be the one washing our hands, sanitizing before eating, and doing anything else that makes YOU comfortable. The Cruise industry can not protect you from what you exposed to while traveling, and your own Hy genie practices. Sometimes we just have dumb bad luck and get sick regaurdless of how well we practice safe travel Hy gene.

Just remember these outbreaks happen is Schools, nursing Homes, Hotels, Convention Centers, and ANY where people congregate in close quarters. __________________

No, insurance will not cover this as you suffered no MONETARY loss. Medical costs incurred on the ship might be covered and reimbursed.

Yes, many people do not report because they do not want to be quarantined.

Treatment for any Noro/GI symptoms is free on Celebrity so people do not aviod reporting because of medical costs.. They will also give you a per diem refund for days you are quarantined. There are serious consequences if you break quarantine or if you fail to report symptoms to the Medical Centre.

Reminders were posted daily in the Celebrity Today