Best Norwegian Sun balcony cabins for sailing South America

clojacks

I've booked AftPH 0265 for March 26, 2016 from BA to San. I was looking at the forward PH's but decided that if we hit rough water around the horn, the forwards would be feeling it more than anyone. It normally doesn't bother us, but why take chances. The cubby on the aft PH balcony was also a consideration, we can still sit outside even if the weather is lousy.

I looked on HAL and Princess to see what their current Antarctic excursions were costing and they were right around $2599, guess I better start saving now.

I've booked AftPH 0265 for March 26, 2016 from BA to San. I was looking at the forward PH's but decided that if we hit rough water around the horn, the forwards would be feeling it more than anyone. It normally doesn't bother us, but why take chances. The cubby on the aft PH balcony was also a consideration, we can still sit outside even if the weather is lousy.

I looked on HAL and Princess to see what their current Antarctic excursions were costing and they were right around $2599, guess I better start saving now.

You better keep the noise down up there :D:D:D I am directly below you.

You better keep the noise down up there :D:D:D I am directly below you.

And we're in the other corner on 9. All three of our current RC members are in the same category! :cool:

I'm happy for all of you have booked but I hope you won't consider it rude of me to try to get back on topic, which is " are there preferred BALCONY cabins on the Sun"? Specifically, if we book the westbound route for Buenos Aires, should we be looking at booking anywhere in particular? Are there humps or bumps like on some other lines? Are there crews work stations near any rooms in particular? Are elevators an inconvenience for noise? etc?

I'm happy for all of you have booked but I hope you won't consider it rude of me to try to get back on topic, which is " are there preferred BALCONY cabins on the Sun"? Specifically, if we book the westbound route for Buenos Aires, should we be looking at booking anywhere in particular? Are there humps or bumps like on some other lines? Are there crews work stations near any rooms in particular? Are elevators an inconvenience for noise? etc?

We did stay on topic and posted the cabins we thought had the best balconies for us so we booked them. There are no bump outs on the Sun. Elevators no more of an issue then any other ship. For me an aft facing balcony would be the best since in March the weather is in the 40s and they are protected out of the wind. Westbound I would guess and only a guess starboard side would be facing land most of the time if I did not book aft facing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - Jim

Yesterday I booked cabin no. 1202 for our repo-cruise from Valparaiso to San Fracisco, it is one of only two forward facing balcony cabins on the ship. I was searching for photos and found this old link with plenty of great photos, and now I am sooooo happy I booked that particular cabin! We have had a frontfacing minisuite on the Sun a couple of years ago, and that was also amazing. But on this particular cruise the price for a front facing mini suite would have cost $2400 more (for two persons) compared to what I am paying for the frontfacing balcony cabin. And when I look at these photos, I am very happy I chose to go for no. 1202 at a much lower rate....

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=935987

Yesterday I booked cabin no. 1202 for our repo-cruise from Valparaiso to San Fracisco, it is one of only two forward facing balcony cabins on the ship. I was searching for photos and found this old link with plenty of great photos, and now I am sooooo happy I booked that particular cabin! We have had a frontfacing minisuite on the Sun a couple of years ago, and that was also amazing. But on this particular cruise the price for a front facing mini suite would have cost $2400 more (for two persons) compared to what I am paying for the frontfacing balcony cabin. And when I look at these photos, I am very happy I chose to go for no. 1202 at a much lower rate....

We're almost neighbors! Looking forward to this cruise so much :) We're hoping that a Machu Picchu tour option will be available.

p.s. Not strictly adhering to the balcony focus...just excited!

Edited by CarlsDad

Just booked January 30, 2016. Cabin 9076. Thank you Donna! I see many new threads popping up asking those of you who have been for advice. Thanks everybody was all you good advice and words of encouragement already. Also started a roll call. As others have said yippee!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Congrats! I hope your time on the sun in 9076 is as fantastic and memorable as mine was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have booked 9277 which is a B1 on the aft for Feb 13th 2016 from Santiago.

I think this is a great choice but does anyone know different?

Excellent choice. Especially if you have neighbors next door loke me. I am in 9276. But on a different run. I would surely have invited you over for a frozen cosmo!

I booked 9277 for the Jan.2, 2016 run from Buenos Aires. I agree, it looks like a great choice to me, too! We CAN NOT WAIT!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You grabbed "my" cabin! Lucky you....be sure and tell Peggy-Va Girl you are booked into Clay's cabin....she now claims it as hers...which I guess she can since I think they have sailed in it twice.

I will try to keep it in good shape when we are aboard a year before you!

You grabbed "my" cabin! Lucky you....be sure and tell Peggy-Va Girl you are booked into Clay's cabin....she now claims it as hers...which I guess she can since I think they have sailed in it twice.

I will try to keep it in good shape when we are aboard a year before you!

Yes, I was lucky that it was available - but I was among the first ones to book that particular cruise so I could choose whatever cabin I wanted...:p

And all though I have been on the Sun during three cruises before, I wouldn't have known about the two frontfacing balcony cabins if it weren't for various posts on CC! I actually booked it before I had seen any photos of it, and now that I have seen the photos as well I am a very happy girl!

Edited by TrumpyNor

Excellent choice. Especially if you have neighbors next door loke me. I am in 9276. But on a different run. I would surely have invited you over for a frozen cosmo!

Drat and double drat. I missed a free drink and a new pal.

I booked 9277 for the Jan.2, 2016 run from Buenos Aires. I agree, it looks like a great choice to me, too! We CAN NOT WAIT!

I am so excited to be doing this cruise. It will be amazing I am sure.

Crazy confused :confused:

I booked 9277 Aft balcony for SA March 2016.

1002 and 1202 forward balconies at both available still.

You guys are so excited about both the front and aft balconies...should I stay Aft or switch to forward facing :eek::confused:

You guys are so excited about both the front and aft balconies...should I stay Aft or switch to forward facing :eek::confused:

Aft. has a better ride in rough sea's . ;)

There is really no comparison between the staterooms themselves. 1002 and 1202 are large and have a big sitting area - sofa, coffee table, side chairs, nice wall cabinetry. The sofa turns into a bed which was quite comfortable with a mattress topper. Because there were four of us the steward removed one of the chairs and it sat in the hall all week. Otherwise making up the couch bed would have been a royal pain for him. The bathroom and closet are typical balcony, rest of the stateroom is not :)

Our balcony (1002) had two loungers, two chairs and a small table. The front balconies have baffles that come out so you can't peer around into your neighbors balcony. This also slightly limits your side view but did not impact our cruise enjoyment. If there are a lot of people at the rail of the deck in front of the observation lounge you will hear them talking if you are at your railing. Here is a full front photo of the Sun I took from South Beach as she was leaving Miami.

67099d50-9d52-4ae5-a1e0-c1cbcf658afe_zps7a579b15.jpg

Here is stern view as she was leaving

7b8e58d6-286f-43c8-9d80-0fc8dddb2f2e_zps1ef1b796.jpg

9277 is a regular balcony stateroom, room is much smaller and has no big seating area. The aft view from the balcony, fabulous. No side baffles because the stern of the Sun slopes so you have a more panoramic view. This also means you can turn around and talk to your neighbors above you if they are at the railing and can see those below you. You do have great view of the stars at night. Here is a youtube video I found of 8078 .. should be similar to 9277.

Bottom line ..... if you want more comfortable room and need the extra space go for one of the front balconies and be very happy you were able to snag one. However, we had 9076 stern suite on the Sun on our first NCL cruise and dearly loved the aft view. We've since had stern balconies on the Star and the Epic and have a stern balcony deck 10 on the Dawn booked for the Oct 2015 Boston to New Orleans cruise. I guess I really love the aft location.

Edited by kjquilts
added something

I think you will be pleased with your selection. We were in this cabin (unfortunately Donna wasn't our next door neighbor so we didn't get a free drink...we just got to see the suite folks unmentionables drying on their balcony every day:eek:). Be advised this cabin is reportedly slightly smaller than the other balconies aboard (I have a hard time really noticing it and I am a big guy). The balcony is very nice, we got the steward to bring us a chaise. Your feet ended up under the sloped railing but it was a great place to nap on all the beautiful sea days. Being no the stern means you won't have as much wind on those cold days.....of course it also means you don't have much of a breeze on the first few and last few days when it was very warm for us.

As usual, KJQuilts is giving good information. For me, if I had of known about the forward balconies BEFORE we sailed to SA, I would have worked to get one of them...but back then they were the most expensive balconies and the stern facing ones were the least expensive so we ended up in 9077 and were very happy with it until halfway through the cruise when we visited 1002 and saw how grand a room and balcony it is.

Of course, one of the big reasons I wanted to go 'round the horn was to rock and roll and we didn't do much of that at all on our trip:mad: but even so, the wind on the bow wouldn't be a concern to me but I am sure it would be to others...in that case the stern is where you want to be.

Best solution of course is to book them both and then move back and forth depending on the day, your mood, the weather;) Next best choice and what we were able to do, is have a great roll call and find folks in staterooms you aren't and move back and forth between them. We had a great roll call and one couple in one of the forward suites hosted everyone (12-18?)for our start down the Beagle Channel....after an hour or so, we all moved to the stern and spilt up between our stern facing balcony and the mini next door...an hour or so later, we moved back up front when we were surprized by an unplanned visit to a glacier previously unvisted by Sun (perhaps any cruise ship?) which the Captain wanted to see and since it was Sun's last scheduled cruise in SA and he was headed to vacation afterwards, I guess he could do what he wanted. We did a sit and spin the way the ships do at Hubbard in Alaska while a tender was put out and approached one of the many mini bergs surrounding us. Rumor was that the Captain was aboard the tender and chipped off some natural ice for his evening cocktail....he denied this when I asked him later but he did have a smile so perhaps he was aboard but had it in his morning drink instead?:confused:

Most of the balconies are very similar except for the much mentioned bow and stern ones. The only other ones that I have heard that people think are special are the end ones near the stern...they are smaller inside but have a larger balcony or so I believe I have been told...but since I have never seen them I don't know this to be fact.

I presume you are savey enough to stay away from rooms above or below the theatre, pool deck and kids area...otherwise I don't think you can really go wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

Just booked a starboard BA on deck 9 towards the aft for the westbound itinerary in Feb of 2016. Pretty excited to now be in a position to do some excursion research!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forums mobile app

• 10 months later...
Most of the balconies are very similar except for the much mentioned bow and stern ones. The only other ones that I have heard that people think are special are the end ones near the stern...they are smaller inside but have a larger balcony or so I believe I have been told...but since I have never seen them I don't know this to be fact.

I presume you are savey enough to stay away from rooms above or below the theatre, pool deck and kids area...otherwise I don't think you can really go wrong.

We are in a 10 aft balcony. Will people be able to look down on us from the Café above -or drop things on us?

Off topic, but since people here have done this cruise, can anyone tell me if we would be able to easily pick up excursions at the dock in these southern ports - Ushuaia, Puerto Madryn, Port Stanley, and Punta Arenas?

We are in a 10 aft balcony. Will people be able to look down on us from the Café above -or drop things on us? I can only speak for Deck 9, but if one stood at the railing, folks from above could see you. If you stay near the door they cannot. I wouldn't say they can "drop" things on your balcony, but a fellow passenger could "throw" things onto your balcony. However, I don't think that is the real issue...I think the wind sometimes picks up a napkin or the paper of an empty sugar packet and deposits it on balconies below.

Off topic, but since people here have done this cruise, can anyone tell me if we would be able to easily pick up excursions at the dock in these southern ports - Ushuaia, Puerto Madryn, Port Stanley, and Punta Arenas? I believe in Ushuaia there were some tours offered on the pier, the other spots I don't really recall. I will say that in Port Stanley, most (all?) the tour guides were moonlighting as such on the days the cruise ship was in town. I recall for example that our cross country driver's real job was the engineer for the local wind power company.

I really enjoyed doing the research and finding the tours ahead of time. We had a very active rollcall and we all worked together to find great tours. As I recall, I was only "in charge" of one of our tours, yet we had private arrangements everywhere.

I will say that in Port Stanley, most (all?) the tour guides were moonlighting as such on the days the cruise ship was in town. I recall for example that our cross country driver's real job was the engineer for the local wind power company.

When I was in Argentina 10 years ago, the economy was also very bad. On more than one occasion, I had extremely qualified guides - such as the Phd in botany who gave me a jungle walk at Iguassu. :) Best tour ever.

I also found a guest house owned by an architect who moonlighted as a bartender. People do what they can in a tough economy, and Argentinians have become pretty resourceful.

I will say that in Port Stanley, most (all?) the tour guides were moonlighting as such on the days the cruise ship was in town. I recall for example that our cross country driver's real job was the engineer for the local wind power company.

When I was in Argentina 10 years ago, the economy was also very bad. On more than one occasion, I had extremely qualified guides - such as the Phd in botany who gave me a jungle walk at Iguassu. :) Best tour ever.

I also found a guest house owned by an architect who moonlighted as a bartender. People do what they can in a tough economy, and Argentinians have become pretty resourceful.

I'm sure part of their rationale was financial but in the Falkland I also think they were tour guiding because there are so few citizens.