Traditional dining but coming back late from tour

Scotto97

I've read if we have traditional dining at 6 PM it is not possible to attend Anytime Dining on rare occassions?

I'd like absolute confirmation on this, as our upcoming British Isles cruise does have a couple of ports - Le Havre especially, where we might not arrive back on the ship by the 6 PM dinner time due to being on a Princess shore excursion.

I find it unreasonable that Princess would deny us the ability to eat in the MDR on that evening.

Thanks

Some people will answer, no, definitely not as this causes crowding in the dining room (regardless of the situation or if the dining rooms are crowded).

I have encountered this several times as I usually book Early Traditional dining. I will go to the Anytime dining room and ask if there is room for me as I missed Early Traditional dining due to a tour. If it is obvious they have room (no one waiting) and they say yes, I will then eat there. If it is obvious they are busy, I would go to the buffet or alternate dining. Just be honest and see what happens.

Sometimes when the ship is in port late, the dining rooms are empty.

Edited by Coral

In my past experience, after 8:00 pm, anytime dining is half empty. Also late seating traditional is rarely full. It looks like you will be on the Ruby? A large ship like that should be able to accommodate you. I would just ask the Maitre' D.

I know those with more experience will come here and answer, but from what I've read. . .you should let your table mates, waiter and maitre' de know of the tour the day before. They will usually find accommodations for you to dine in one of the main dining rooms.

I have been on cruises where we have had late port calls and they have just sort of opened the dining for all - letting you come when you can.

I would not worry. I am sure they will let you dine in one of them on those days you are out late.

I have never had troubles with those who are traditional diners coming into 'my' anytime dining room! If i were on your cruise, I would invite you to dine with us in anytime! I'm sure you will find others like me!

Have a great cruise!

There may be a couple of options:

As noted, if the ship is aware of late tours, they may adjust dining for that evening.

If they don't, its important to let your servers and tablemates that you may be late or not there at all.

Prior to that meal, ask to talk to the headwaiter or MD and see what other options there are. They will have a better idea for the flow of meals and may suggest a less crowded AD time for example.

The only improper response is just to show up at AD and expect to be seated, even if that works.

There may be a couple of options:

As noted, if the ship is aware of late tours, they may adjust dining for that evening.

If they don't, its important to let your servers and tablemates that you may be late or not there at all.

Prior to that meal, ask to talk to the headwaiter or MD and see what other options there are. They will have a better idea for the flow of meals and may suggest a less crowded AD time for example.

The only improper response is just to show up at AD and expect to be seated, even if that works.

I agree 100%.

Princess is very flexible when it comes to dining and as Loonbeam says, it's very possible that the dining times will be adjusted for the port. I've seen it. I've also seen that if sailing is later (perhaps 8-9pm), Traditional has become "open" seating with anyone with Traditional dining showing up to be seated as convenient.

The issue with someone from Traditional dining just showing up for Anytime is that it means their seats are going empty in Traditional while adding more people to be seated in Anytime. This can create very long waits for everyone for Anytime. While you might think it "unreasonable" to deny you from Anytime while having Traditional, you have the option to select Anytime dining to start with which will give you the flexibility you're looking for. Chances are you won't be denied if you have Traditional and go to the Anytime dining room but please consider the impact on those who have chosen Anytime dining.

We prefer Traditional dining and when we've gotten back to port late, we either head directly to the Traditional dining room (we've done this even with our backpacks) a little late, make a reservation for a later dinner in a specialty restaurant, or go up to the buffet. On some cruises, we've had all of our dinners in the buffet. :)

I have been on cruises where we have had late port calls and they have just sort of opened the dining for all - letting you come when you can.

On our last cruise we had a late port and they called it "open seating".. in which anyone could eat in any of the dining rooms. Although anytime diners, we decided to try the Traditional dR just to do it. We found it operated like an anytime DR that night.

As others have said, you should not presume that you can use the anytime DR if you are traditional. However, I also know that later in the evening, the Drs are quieter and if you ask, you should not have a problem getting in.

The patter will explain about the MDRs for the night in question so you will know ahead of time whether they will have an open seating situation or not.

Thanks for the great replies.

It seems the best course of action is to inform the Maitre' D on our first night in the MDR that the next night in Le Havre we'll missed the 6 PM dining due to a tour. That way we are not expected at the table.

I'll also ask his advice on whether we could attend either anytime dining around 8 PM or perhaps the 8:30 Traditional dining that night.

If he believes this would be inappropriate, we'll resort to the buffet (Not our favorite) - or IC perhaps.

Very helpful information. I've been wondering how Princess handles port days. We've selected traditional for the first time for our cruise next year, but are planning to eat in port while in Europe; we don't leave port on those days until 8 or 9 p.m.

I'd rather eat in France than hurry to the MDR. :p I expect many will feel the same. We'll just tell the wait staff to not expect us on port days.

In the past every time we told our waiter that we wouldn't be at dinner due to a late port departure he told us to come to the dining room whenever we got back and he would take care of us. We always have first seating traditional, and we never missed dinner in the mdr due to a late tour/departure. This happened on both the Emerald and the Ruby on ta's.

When I use to do traditional dinning I would let the head waiter know the night before I might be late. This happened when visiting France. We made it back in time for dessert which we had. Then we went to the buffet for the rest of our dinner. Who says you can't have dessert before dinner:p

When I use to do traditional dinning I would let the head waiter know the night before I might be late. This happened when visiting France. We made it back in time for dessert which we had. Then we went to the buffet for the rest of our dinner. Who says you can't have dessert before dinner:p

Dessert first?? Now thats my kind of dinner. :D